╌>

Turned down for federal disability payments, thousands die waiting for appeals to be heard

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  don-overton  •  5 years ago  •  27 comments

Turned down for federal disability payments, thousands die waiting for appeals to be heard
In fiscal year 2016, 8,699 Americans died on the disability insurance waiting list. That number rose to 10,002 in 2017.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

It isn’t easy to be patient when you   can’t work and you’re in pain , as Christine Morgan knows all too well.

Her chronic pain comes from fibromyalgia. Morgan, 60, also has spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the spaces within the spine that pinches the nerves, most often in the lower back and neck. To top it off, she is diabetic, has kidney disease, high blood pressure and depression.

Yet Morgan has been turned down for Social Security Disability Insurance –  twice. “They sent me a letter that said I wasn’t disabled,” she said.

Morgan appealed her most recent denial in August 2017. Her appeal wasn’t heard until more than a year later, on Nov. 7, and she still hasn’t received a ruling. She is among more than 800,000 Americans waiting for their appeals to be decided. Each year thousands die waiting for an answer.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
1  seeder  Don Overton    5 years ago

The inefficient Trump Administration is killing thousands each year

00ph.jpg

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2  1stwarrior    5 years ago

Wow - can we say over reach????  Trump was elected President in 2016, sworn into office in 2017.  Your figure of 8,699 were in Obama's term and the additional were also from Obama's term.

Nice try.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1  bugsy  replied to  1stwarrior @2    5 years ago
Your figure of 8,699 were in Obama's term and the additional were also from Obama's term.

Doesn't matter to them. Obama gets a pass on EVERYTHING. Every one of his failures is Trump and Bush's fault.

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.1  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  bugsy @2.1    5 years ago

A lot of it was but that's not what is the present years we are talking about

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
2.2  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  1stwarrior @2    5 years ago

Last two years have shown growth in the problem which anyone with intellectual capacity knows won't be touched by trump, the health expert. So go ahead and kiss is posterior for what he hasn't done.

And yes I blame Obama for some of this and more I blame the republican congress for not acting

How's that grab y ou !st

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.1  bugsy  replied to  Don Overton @2.2    5 years ago
growth in the problem

So the problem to you is a growing economy, rising wages, more jobs available than those that are looking for them, and lowest unemployment rate for minorities EVER.?

I will be honest. I think the present Republican Congress sucks, but the democratic one coming up will be no better. "I hate Trump" has never been a successful campaign cry.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

This has been a problem for years.  It's likely to remain a problem for years.  As much as I dislike Trump, this can't all be laid at his doorstep.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
3.1  1stwarrior  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3    5 years ago

Sandy - to a number of members on NT, Trump is the reason for failure of EVERYTHING - possibly including constipation.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4  Split Personality    5 years ago
Staffing and service issues have plagued Social Security for years, and President Trump’s proposed budget for fiscal 2019 would make things worse. The disability hearing process can be particularly vexing because there are too few administrative law judges, who hear appeals, and they have too few support staff members.

“I am concerned that the increasing strain on the adjudicatory process frustrates the mission of the Social Security Administration (SSA),” Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.), chairman of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs federal management subcommittee, wrote in a March 19 letter to the agency . “Administrative Law Judges (ALJs) perform an essential judiciary function in the United States and as a direct result of the current caseload, claimants may be forced to wait up to two years for a decision on their claim.

“This is not an acceptable constraint on due process.”

Not acceptable, but also not unusual.

“In 2016, the Social Security Administration received over 2.3 million disability claims, 630,000 more cases than in 2002. Unfortunately, the SSA has not added the personnel, technology or efficiencies needed to address this steady surge,” said Marilyn Zahm, an administrative law judge in Buffalo and president of the Association of Administrative Law Judges (AALJ). “We now face a crushing backlog of cases, adding long wait times and painful uncertainty to a process that should be swift and secure.”

Zahm said 2.6 hours “is the average amount of time that a judge is allotted to adjudicate a case,” based on 500 dispositions annually, “the quota mandated by the agency.”

That little time “is not fair to the claimant, the government or the judge,” she added. “Mandating unreasonable quotas leads to inaccurate decision-making in many instances.”

SSA planned to hire 250 ALJs annually from fiscal 2016 through fiscal 2018, which ends Sept. 30. This rate of hiring was needed “to reduce average appeals wait times for hearing decisions to its goal of 270 days by the end of fiscal year 2020,” the GAO report said. Two hundred seventy days is almost 10 months.

Social Security hired 264 in 2016, but just 132 in 2017. “As we just received our FY 2018 appropriation, we are currently evaluating our ALJ hiring plan for this year,” Hinkle said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2018/04/03/short-staffing-leads-to-long-waits-for-social-security-disability-hearing-decisions/?utm_term=.978561582716

In 2013 Social Security had it's highest number of ADLJ's with  over 1400. At least in 2016 the Administration hired 264 more Administrative Law Judges. That was followed by only 132 in 2017.

From the article linked to the Washington Post

Trump’s Social Security budget offers more work, less staff, longer waits

President Trump’s proposed fiscal 2019 Social Security Administration (SSA) budget would cut staffing, a recipe for long waits in agency offices and on the telephone for those trying to navigate the often-difficult world of old-age, disability, survivor and Medicare benefits. Retirement and survivor benefits would not be hit.

Declining service is nothing new, but under Trump, there would be fewer federal employees to deal with an increasing number of people of retirement age. His budget request calls for almost 1,000 fewer full-time-equivalent work years in 2019 than this year. A full-time-equivalent work year is the amount of work a person toiling full time would do in one year. The amount of overtime allowed staffers to keep up with demand would be less than a third of that in 2017 and just over half the 2018 estimate.

bugsy
Professor Participates
5  bugsy    5 years ago

In fiscal year 2016, 8,699 Americans died on the disability insurance waiting list. That number rose to 10,002 in 2017.

As was mentioned above, Trump did not become President until January 2017, but of course, everything prior to that is his fault.

We all know that if it were not for Trump, every single one of those people would still be alive today. Absolutely none of them would have died from natural causes s/

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
5.1  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  bugsy @5    5 years ago

He's responsible for his portion and we all know that he cares less

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2  Split Personality  replied to  bugsy @5    5 years ago
So the problem to you is a growing economy, rising wages, more jobs available than those that are looking for them, and lowest unemployment rate for minorities EVER.?

Nope, the problem is the average length of time it takes to have a hearing, an appeal, or get approved.

We all know that if it were not for Trump, every single one of those people would still be alive today. Absolutely none of them would have died from natural causes s/

One of the requirements is that you cannot hold any job at all, which makes the whole process a drag on the economy. Fewer purchases, mortgage defaults, bad debt.

I have a relative in hospice for 3 years with ALS.  It took 30 months to get SSD, meanwhile two households were bankrupted trying to pay the  medical bills etc. without insurance.

Yes everyone dies.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

I fought Social Security tooth and nail for 8 years for my disability, almost all under the Obama administration.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
6.1  lennylynx  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @6    5 years ago

You mean you actually think that the Democratic party is the one that wants to deny people entitlement money?

The Republicans represent corporate America, and the Democrats represent the people.  If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, well, you know...

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  lennylynx @6.1    5 years ago

Did I say that? No I did not. My point was that President Obama owned this problem as much as Trump does.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @6.1.1    5 years ago

It's been a problem for quite some time due to the huge increase in disability claims. The new budget doesn't address this and in fact it is cutting funding. That is going to make it worse, so the current administration isn't addressing the problem either, 

Seems we are headed into a time frame that isn't going to be tolerable to  huge number of  US citizens. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @6.1.2    5 years ago

Claims increased exponentially with the depression/recession of 2008/2009.  No big surprise there.

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
6.2  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @6    5 years ago

Ok, so

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8  Sparty On    5 years ago

And this is who many of you want managing your entire healthcare?

Amazing!