╌>

New laws, 2019: Vermont pays people $10K to move there, internet taxes, pet protection, more

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  18 comments

New laws, 2019: Vermont pays people $10K to move there, internet taxes, pet protection, more
In states across the country, new measures are kicking in 2019 that affect virtually every area of residents' lives — and your furry friends, too.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By   Pete Williams

WASHINGTON — The new year brings a host of state laws that take effect Tuesday — including Vermont paying people to move there.

The   state will give people up to $10,000 over two years   for those employed by out-of-state companies who are willing to work remotely from Vermont in a home office or cooperative work space.

"We have a demographic problem in the state. We need more people," said Governor Phil Scott in supporting the measure.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Vermont has the nation’s third-highest median age, 42.7 years, and the state's population of just over 600,000 (in 2017) is flat or slightly shrinking, the Associated Press reported.

Anyone interested should hurry, however, because the money for the program is limited and will be awarded on a first-come, first served basis. Lawmakers have set aside $500,000 for the program.

Elsewhere, Connecticut and Hawaii are making it illegal for employers to ask job applicants about their pay history. That brings to 10 the number of states with similar bans, intended to stop the cycle of pay discrimination against women and minorities.

Derek Slap, a Connecticut state representative, said the law is also intended to maintain competitiveness in hiring qualified workers.

"We don't want to be known as the state where women can be low balled," he said.

In New York City, it will be illegal in the new year to sell anything in foam food containers made from expanded polystyrene, a material the city says cannot be recycled.

"There's no reason to continue allowing this environmentally unfriendly substance to flood our streets, landfills and waterways," said Mayor Bill de Blasio. That ban covers foam clamshell containers, trays and cups as well as foam packing peanuts.

In Washington state, 2019 brings a   crackdown on people who misrepresent companion or emotional support pets as trained service animals . The legislature determined that people with disabilities were finding it harder to get acceptance of their essential animal help.

Two new measures in California are intended to make life better for pets.

The state becomes the first to require that pet shops sell only animals from shelters and rescue centers. Residents can still buy from private breeders, but pet stores cannot. Nearly 300 cities in half the states already have similar restrictions, but this is the first to apply statewide.

Under a separate new law,   pets in California are now legally considered part of the family in divorces . Judges can assign sole or joint custody, based on what they determine is in the best interest of the pet.

For human beings nationwide, the cost of getting divorced shifts from one spouse to another as of Jan. 1. It becomes more expensive for those making alimony payments, because Congress eliminated alimony tax deductions, a break that had been in effect for 75 years. But the same change also provides that those receiving alimony payments no longer have to pay taxes on the income.

In addition, Internet shoppers in six more states — Georgia, Iowa, Louisiana, Nebraska, Utah, and West Virginia — will have to pay sales taxes on what they buy from out-of-state retailers. More states are imposing the same requirement, the result of   a U.S. Supreme Court decision in 2018 that opened the door to taxing web sales.

And in Colorado, revelers wanting to toast 2019 can find all kinds of beer available in grocery and convenience stores. Under a law dating from prohibition, they could sell only low-alcohol brews, but that restriction ends in the final hours of 2018

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

10 K and a beautiful state. And no shortage of moose either.

Why not?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago
Why not?

I think a better question is why?    

Vermont is not a state lacking workers. It is not an industrial state. It is a state which benefits from tourism and wide open spaces.

From the article:

"We have a demographic problem in the state."   The Governor didn't call it a population problem, he called it a demographic problem. Back in July the New York Times ran a "piece" lamenting the lack of diversity in neighboring New Hampshire:

Oh, there it is

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1    5 years ago

I was thinking why would anyone that lives there want the government stealing their money and giving to somebody else. Then again I don’t understand people that would want a diehard communist like Bernie as a Senator. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Dean Moriarty @1.1.1    5 years ago

Of course, Dean.  It's all Bernie's fault.  As a US Senator he has nothing to do with state legislation.  Governor Scott, however, is a Republican and actually signed the bill which will, no doubt, attract some more Republicans to the state.  Conservatives don't care where their money comes from.  Don't take my word for it though.  Ask your President.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.2  Snuffy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

One word.....   Winter!!

It's cold enough down here in Phoenix,  I ran away from that nasty sky dandruff when I turned 18,  no desire to move back to it.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.3  Tacos!  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

Why not?

1) I'd have to take the bar again. No thanks.

2) Sooooooo cold. Southern California to Vermont? I think I'd break into a million little pieces.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.1  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @1.3    5 years ago

So you're an attorney?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.3.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Tessylo @1.3.1    5 years ago

Explains a lot.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.3.3  Tacos!  replied to  SteevieGee @1.3.2    5 years ago

I'm not the topic, thanks.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.4  Split Personality  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

Moose and squirel

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @1.4    5 years ago

I'll bet there's some great fishing in Vermont

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
1.5  tomwcraig  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago
Why not?

It's really freaking cold and snowy in winter...

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.6  Nowhere Man  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago
10 K and a beautiful state. And no shortage of moose either. Why not?

Having lived there (East Burke & Pownal, my father born in St Johnsbury and grew up in Lyndon) It's mostly rural, definitely has four distinct seasons, and while I was living there decidedly middle conservative. I have relatives all over the New England states..... (and upstate NY)

There is a reason most farm houses have an exterior door on the second floor, the snow does get that deep. (although recently I guess it has slacked off a bit) The economy is mostly dairy and forestry very little industry. Heck many of the country roads from town to town are still paved in gravel....

Second smallest state by population, sixth smallest by size. It's name comes from the French " Les Verts Monts" "The Green Mountains" The green mountains actually run up the center west of the state....

Beautiful state, the scenery is to die for. Quaint rustic towns and covered bridges, I think it is the covered bridge capitol of the world.

Hogback Mountain.....

Sugarbush Resort.....

Marlboro Meeting House

Lyndon Institute..... My fathers high school, he graduated in January 1942, 17 years old, early graduation so he could enlist in the Army in February.

Mt Burke from Lyndonville..... My fathers hometown.....

Cornish-Windsor Bridge the longest covered bridge (until 2008, open to auto traffic) in the country..... the current bridge (dating from 1866) is the fourth bridge built over the Connecticut River in this location, the first was in 1796.....

Lake Willoughby......

Downtown Burlington VT. Old Town USA......

A beautiful place to live if you like quaint, old New England......

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.6.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.6    5 years ago

Beautiful photos, NWM. Thanks for posting them.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

If I didn't have to leave the house between November and April, I'd take them up on it. But I need a cozy house with a cozy fireplace (or 2 or 3), wood burners, and a generator.

And snowshoes.....I'm gonna have to go outside to milk my cow

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
3  Sunshine    5 years ago
The state becomes the first to require that pet shops sell only animals from shelters and rescue centers.

Huh, so where does one buy a bird?

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    5 years ago

Here one can but beer anywhere. At a gas station. Most wine has to still be a liquor store. In Louisiana wine can be at a grocery store. They usually have a whole section for it.

Taxing internet sales. They will get their money somehow.