╌>

Cleveland Clinic fires resident after online threat to give Jews 'wrong meds' surfaces

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  5 years ago  •  14 comments

Cleveland Clinic fires resident after online threat to give Jews 'wrong meds' surfaces

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A Cleveland hospital has fired a resident after anti-Semitic comments and threats to give the Jewish people “the wrong meds” surfaced on social media.

Lara Kollab was identified as the fired employee behind the comments. She worked as a supervised resident at the Cleveland Clinic from July to September, Cleveland.com   reported .

“She is no longer working at Cleveland Clinic. In no way do these beliefs reflect those of our organization. We fully embrace diversity, inclusion and a culture of safety and respect across our entire health system,” the Cleveland Clinic said in a statement posted online.

"She is no longer working at Cleveland Clinic. In no way do these beliefs reflect those of our organization. We fully embrace diversity, inclusion and a culture of safety and respect across our entire health system."
— The Cleveland Clinic

Kollab’s anti-Semitic comments were first   documented   by Canary Mission, a group that examines social media accounts to find anti-Semitic and anti-Israel remarks.

Among the comments were threats to mistreat Jewish patients. “Hahha ewww.. I’ll purposely give all the [Jews] the wrong meds,” she wrote in a 2012 tweet.

In multiple other posts on Twitter, she called for violence against the Jewish people, called them “dogs,” compared them to the Nazis, and minimized the Holocaust.

“Look, Haifa is sweet (nice), but it's full of Jewish dogs, and it looks like America, meaning, it wasn't that special to me,” Kollab once wrote, according to the website’s translation.

“I don't mean to sound insensitive but I have a REALLY hard time feeling bad about Holocaust seeing as the people who were in it now kill my people,” she wrote in 2012.

"Hahha ewww.. I’ll purposely give all the [Jews] the wrong meds."
— Lara Kollab in 2012

Since the firing, the woman deleted her social media accounts, though some of them were preserved.

Her LinkedIn page claims she graduated from the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York.

Her page said she was a biology tutor to high school and college students shortly after getting her bachelor’s degree from John Carroll University in 2013, while since 2015 she has been a mentor to “1st, 2nd, and 3rd year medical students.”

Kollab has been working with a training certificate issued in July 2018, according to the State Medical Board of Ohio.

Her certificate is valid as long as the individual is actively part of the program which was indicated on the training certificate application by the supervising entity,” Tessie Pollock, the board’s director of communications, told Fox News.

“It is the Mission of the State Medical Board of Ohio to protect the health and safety of all Ohioans. Malicious acts and attitudes toward any population go against the Medical Practices Act and are denounced by the board,” she added.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Totally sick. And she even went to a Jewish medical school. What's up with that? She probably got the best grant out of them.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
4  Larry Hampton    5 years ago

One of the good things about social media is that it gives a venue to idiots and hateful people to out themselves to the rest of the world. While the message spread is awful, it's good we know who this person is.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Larry Hampton @4    5 years ago

This is true, Larry. Before, people used to feel these things and maybe even act on them and everyone was shocked when it happened, but now we get a heads up. It always amazes me what people will put out there on social media. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  JohnRussell    5 years ago

This is an open and shut case. She is lucky if there is no criminal offense involved with her threatening to harm medical patients.

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1  epistte  replied to  JohnRussell @6    5 years ago
This is an open and shut case. She is lucky if there is no criminal offense involved with her threatening to harm medical patients.

I'm certain that the Clinic will investigate any past interactions that she had with Jewish patients. 

It appears that she was fired approximately than 90 days ago. 

A spokesperson for Cleveland Clinic said in a statement to NBC News on Wednesday that Kollab was fired as a first-year resident in September after the clinic was made aware of her social media posts. She had worked in the internal medicine program since July 2018. “When we learned of the social media post, we took immediate action, conducted an internal review and placed her on administrative leave. Her departure was related to those posts and she has not worked at Cleveland Clinic since September," the statement read.

Ender
Professor Principal
7  Ender    5 years ago

Beyond the obvious, I had to look up the difference between an MD and a DO. Something I never thought of.

Also, I don't know how I would feel about my practitioner looking like a Hooters girl. (I know, I know)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago
"I have a REALLY hard time feeling bad about Holocaust seeing as the people who were in it now kill my people,” she wrote in 2012."

An interesting contrast:  Israeli doctors perform free life-saving heart surgery on Arab children and here an Arab medical person threatens to murder Jews.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
9  Hal A. Lujah    5 years ago

I’m curious if the social media accounts in question used her actual name or anonymous screen names.  The article doesn’t specify.  The comments are inexcusable either way, but the article should have reported that bit of information.