╌>

Netflix to idiots: Don’t hurt yourself doing ‘Bird Box’ challenge

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  johnrussell  •  5 years ago  •  14 comments

The “Bird Box” challenge, if you are unfamiliar, requires you to do random daily tasks while blindfolded, like the characters in Netflix’s new Sandra Bullock movie “Bird Box.” The thing is, in the movie, she has to do stuff while blindfolded because of — long story short — monsters. Real-life “Bird Box” challenge participants have no such excuse.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

MIKE MURPHY JANUARY 02, 2019

MW-HB158_birdbo_20190102164732_ZH.jpg?uu Don’t row a boat blindfolded. Sandra Bullock is a trained professional.

Don’t try this at home.

That’s essentially the message Netflix Inc. sent to fans Wednesday, tweeting: “Can’t believe I have to say this, but: PLEASE DO NOT HURT YOURSELVES WITH THIS BIRD BOX CHALLENGE.”

Can’t believe I have to say this, but: PLEASE DO NOT HURT YOURSELVES WITH THIS BIRD BOX CHALLENGE. We don’t know how this started, and we appreciate the love, but Boy and Girl have just one wish for 2019 and it is that you not end up in the hospital due to memes.
— Netflix US (@netflix) January 2, 2019

The “Bird Box” challenge, if you are unfamiliar, requires you to do random daily tasks while blindfolded, like the characters in Netflix’s new Sandra Bullock movie “Bird Box.” The thing is, in the movie, she has to do stuff while blindfolded because of — long story short — monsters. Real-life “Bird Box” challenge participants have no such excuse.

The meme has taken social media by storm in the past week or so, largely because of videos of the blindfolded participants’ pratfalls — walking into walls, tripping over curbs, putting on lipstick , etc.

Perhaps it’s something in the January air. Last year around this time, there were widespread warnings about an even stupider and more dangerous meme — the Tide pod challenge

While there have been no reports of serious injuries yet, that’s likely just a matter of time, so Netflix issued its warning Wednesday to try to nip the meme in the bud, before it loses any subscribers on a permanent (and tragic) basis.

Last week, Netflix said nearly one-third of its subscribers — more than 45 million people — watched “Bird Box” in its first week of release.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

They say this movie is the biggest hit in the history of Netflix.

Who here has watched it?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.2  MrFrost  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

I watched it... It's ok. It has a, "The Happening" feel to it..  

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

I have not seen the movie, but with Netflix issuing this...

''PLEASE DO NOT HURT YOURSELVES WITH THIS BIRD BOX CHALLENGE.” Tells me there will be some ''Darwin Award Winners''...Stay tuned.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @2    5 years ago

It wouldn't be a shock.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Saw the movie. It was an awful lot alike to "A quiet place", but with no explanation as to where the things came from. It was fun, but not great.

As for doing the challenge, you would have to be a numbnut. Now I have to worry about idiots who could take me out doing something dumb. F A N T A S T I C. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    5 years ago

Keep your eyes OPEN for numbnuts.

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    5 years ago

People just need to keep the blindfolds where they belong.

In the bedroom. jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5  Jeremy Retired in NC    5 years ago

I've seen the movie and liked it.  But the blithering idiots doing this "challenge" don't need to be out in public in the first place.  God help us if they procreate.