╌>

President Trump just used the White House press briefing room for a publicity stunt

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  77 comments

President Trump just used the White House press briefing room for a publicity stunt

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

9197dca0-94e1-11e6-9718-4d4a4a2e45f0_US-   Hunter Walker   13 hours ago  

President Trump makes his first appearance in White House briefing room

WASHINGTON — President Trump made his first appearance ever in the White House press briefing room on Thursday, but he didn’t take any questions from the media. Instead, Trump used the occasion to pursue a political battle with Congress, trotting out burly Border Patrol union representatives to endorse his plan to build a wall on the Mexican border.

Trump’s use of the briefing room for what was essentially a publicity event comes at a time when his administration is largely avoiding the press, and it prompted angry and incredulous responses from reporters.

“Why come out here?” one reporter shouted as Trump departed after just over eight minutes.

01e59c3bec429e4bd3018620770a9b10
President Donald Trump speaks at the White House, Thursday, Jan. 3, 2019, in Washington. (Photo: Evan Vucci/AP)

Much of the federal government has been shut since Dec. 22 in a stalemate with Congress over Trump’s demand for over $5 billion to begin construction on the wall. Democrats have refused to provide the funds. Trump used his appearance in the briefing room to make the case that a wall, or “barrier” as he has taken to calling it, is an urgent matter of national security.

In prior administrations and earlier in Trump’s tenure, briefings with the press secretary and other officials were held multiple times a week. However, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders has held only four briefings since last September, about one a month.

The lack of briefings isn’t the only way the Trump administration has retreated from the press. Trump rarely holds organized solo press conferences and the White House communications operation   often simply ignores press inquiries . It has been described by some veteran White House reporters  as the least responsive in modern history. The silence has led to   criticism from Trump allies and constantly swirling rumors   of imminent staff departures. One former White House official   recently described   the situation to Yahoo News as a “zombie comms shop.”

Trump’s appearance initially seemed like an almost unprecedented surprise briefing. It began with an abrupt announcement over the White House loudspeakers that Sanders would be holding a briefing in five minutes. In prior administrations, briefings were typically announced the night before they were held. The few recent briefings in Trump’s White House have been held with a few hours’ notice.

Sanders appeared first and apologized for the “short notice” before introducing Trump.

“I’d like to welcome a very special guest for an appearance here in the briefing room, our very great President Donald J. Trump,” Sanders said.

“Hello everybody,” Trump said to the assembled reporters. “This is a beautiful place. I haven’t seen it.”

Trump then introduced the group standing behind him, seven men and one woman, as “people that have been extremely supportive of what we’re doing on the border” and said they all worked for the Border Patrol or Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Trump invited them to “say a few words about the wall.”

“You can call it a barrier. You can call it whatever you want, but essentially we need protection in our country. We’re going to make it good,” Trump said.

Three men who identified themselves as leaders of the National Border Patrol Council, a union that represents Border Patrol agents and support staff, spoke briefly in support of the wall and the president’s willingness to shut down the government for it.

After the men made their remarks, Trump said they were at the White House for a previously planned meeting when he decided to bring them into the briefing room.

“This meeting was set up a long time ago. It just came at a very opportune time and I thought — we were all sitting in the Oval Office working on different plans. … I just appreciate them being here, I said, ‘Let’s go out see the press you can tell them about the importance of the wall,” said Trump.

Trump thanked the group for coming and noted that it was unusual for him to be in the briefing room.

“I’m glad we came out here and first time I’ve ever done this. It’s the first time I’ve done it,” Trump said before turning back to the men. “I’ve done it for you and I’m very proud of that because you have done a fantastic job.”

Trump concluded by addressing the reporters.

“Thank you all very much. Appreciate it,” Trump said before stepping away from the podium and exiting the briefing room.

As he left, Trump ignored questions shouted by the reporters seated in the briefing room.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

The turd's whole 'presidency' is a publicity stunt.  

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

Oh waahhh! What president has not? 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2  Snuffy    5 years ago

OMG...  A politician used a government owned room for a publicity stunt...  say it's not so...   

geeze, slow news day?   

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @2    5 years ago

It must be for you if you're seeking pieces to belittle.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @2    5 years ago

I  was saying on another thread how reasonable you were.

Snark much?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.2.1  Snuffy  replied to  Tessylo @2.2    5 years ago

well,  yeah I can snark from time to time.  But to be honest my comment about a slow news day was, in my mind, aimed at the reporter who put this piece out there.  I didn't think that you would take it personally and for that I apologize and will try to remember when responding to your seeds to be as clear as I can.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @2.2.1    5 years ago

I'm sorry sniffy.  I got it now.  I appreciate the clarification 

I'm not being a dick by calling you sniffy.  I don't like autcorrect!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.2    5 years ago

Sandy I wasnt being derogatory, autocorrect changed snuffy to sniffy.   

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.2.5  Snuffy  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.3    5 years ago

Dang,  your autocorrect is good!!   It knows I have a head cold..  

As I've said on other threads,  you can call me just about anything you want. I've got big shoulders and at my age I've heard most of it.  Just don't call me late for dinner...

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.6  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.3    5 years ago

I think the mods are just used to your "unique" way of stating things

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    5 years ago

Watched that sad display.

He told everyone there was going to be a press conference, then shuffled out several people to sing his praise.

I honestly think it was because the news of the day was about Pelosi becoming speaker of the house. He couldn't stand not having the attention.

I had to laugh when they were leaving the room, a reporter asked, Do you all know what a press room is for?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ender @3    5 years ago

That explains it!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Ender @3    5 years ago
He told everyone there was going to be a press conference, then shuffled out several people to sing his praise.

His acting AG was so bad that I thought Trump was going ask for a cigarette when he was done.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Ender  replied to  Ozzwald @3.2    5 years ago

It is always a sickening display. Even a meeting the other day, they went around the room and one by one praised him.

I have never witnessed anything like this. One must sing praises of dear leader.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago

What is meant by "publicity stunt?" Should the president not be presenting his thoughts and ideas to the public? Should he not be presenting evidence that supports what he wants to do? When any elected official does this, does he/she always take questions? Are they obligated to? Where is the problem?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @5    5 years ago

This was a supposed press briefing.   It was an ass kissing session and a way to get attention back to him.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @5.1    5 years ago
This was a supposed press briefing.  It was an ass kissing session and a way to get attention back to him.  

What does that mean? It's his press conference. Is the attention not supposed to be on him? He had something to say to the media so he called them. Public people do this every day. You act like he broke the law or something.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  arkpdx  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.1    5 years ago

I wouldn't sweat it Tacos.

There are some people bitch about Trump no matter what he does. That commented would complain about him if he personally gave them a check for a million dollars and cured all known diseases. 

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
5.1.3  Old Hermit  replied to  Tessylo @5.1    5 years ago
It was an ass kissing session and a way to get attention back to him.

At least Pres. Clinton kept his blow jobs private, ( until Ken Starr came along ).

Trump is the only President I've ever known who not only needs his blowjobs to be very public but also to be filmed and broadcast live.

It's no wonder he has such trouble getting people to work for him.  The level of lickspittle and personal self abasement required to work for Trump is very hard to find.

Notice how many of Trumps first round of taint licking Cabinet members below are now gone.

Trump Invites His Employees To Praise Him During Cabinet Meeting

original

original

Vice President Mike Pence

"It is just the greatest privilege of my life is to serve as the -- as vice president to the President who's keeping his word to the American people and assembling a team that's bringing real change, real prosperity, real strength back to our nation."

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.1    5 years ago

Nope, he was just throwing another 'look at me' event since Nancy was sworn in.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.6  seeder  Tessylo  replied to    5 years ago
'Nice lies Trump actually paid money to keep his affairs private.'
You don't even know what you just said do you?  

Like Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal, which he paid out of campaign funds?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Old Hermit @5.1.3    5 years ago

Ok...notice what Sonny Purdue says. They like you in MS....not I like you, but they.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.1.8  Dismayed Patriot  replied to    5 years ago
Trump actually paid money to keep his affairs private

Obviously you missed the point of his statement. The fact is Republicans would have lost their minds if Clinton had a round table session where he basically demanded all of his underlings to verbally fellate him. But Trump does it and the only question you ask is "Where do I sign up?".

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
5.1.9  Old Hermit  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.1.8    5 years ago
Obviously you missed the point of his statement.

...........where he basically demanded all of his underlings to verbally fellate him.

Whew, finally.

So I wasn't being too obtuse. Some of the responses had me wandering. (smile)

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6  Jasper2529    5 years ago
Much of the federal government has been shut since Dec. 22

Leave it to left-wing Yahoo to misrepresent facts. Approximately 1/4 of non-essential federal government is shut down. Non-essential workers in federal government will be recompensed once the government reopens. Since they're "non-essential", maybe we should consider eliminating those jobs.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jasper2529 @6    5 years ago

Hope you aren't looking for a 2018 tax refund this year.....

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1    5 years ago

Good news maybe I won’t get audited again this year! 🥳

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1    5 years ago
Hope you aren't looking for a 2018 tax refund this year.....

Your personal comment is irrelevant to my factual comment  6  from 2 days ago. Please explain your point.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6.1.1    5 years ago

Federal prison guards aren't getting paid while they do their jobs. Hope you don't live near any federal prisons. Hope you don't plan on flying anytime soon, either, since TSA agents aren't getting paid

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
6.1.5  arkpdx  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.3    5 years ago

Yeah. It is a shame that Nancy Pelosi and Chuckie Schemer care more about illegal aliens than they do hard working Americans 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1.6  Jasper2529  replied to  Release The Kraken @6.1.4    5 years ago

Deleted by poster.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1.6    5 years ago

So I'm ignorant, am I? Nice personal attack, there, Jasper

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1.9  Jasper2529  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.8    5 years ago
So I'm ignorant, am I? Nice personal attack, there, Jasper

My original comment to BF was generalized, but I decided to not post it. There was no reference to you.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1.2    5 years ago

Do you consider TSA agents and federal prison guards to be extraneous federal employees?

I see you deleted your comment.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1.9    5 years ago

riiiggghhhhttttt.....

you're so transparent

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1.12  Jasper2529  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.10    5 years ago
I see you deleted your comment.

Yes, I did. My reason is clearly stated in comment  6.1.9 .

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1.12    5 years ago

you're still transparent as glass

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  Release The Kraken @6.1.4    5 years ago

You own your own business, too, tho, right?

I tried that one year, futzing with my W4 so I didn't owe anything. I messed up and ended up owing. I'd rather the government use my money interest free than end up owing them anything

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
6.1.16  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Release The Kraken @6.1.15    5 years ago
Getting a refund is not something to be celebrated if you do the math.

some people use that as a form of savings account they cash out once a year.

which is understandable. no money gets lost.

being a self-employed builder required the most cash on hand possible... 

the IRS can wait until the end of the year.

now I am retired and they get nothing :)

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
6.1.17  livefreeordie  replied to  Release The Kraken @6.1.15    5 years ago

Every year I advise my tax clients to stop loaning the government money interest free, but still many want that refund check.

as someone who is self employed I’d rather pay what I have to when I file

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.18  Trout Giggles  replied to  Release The Kraken @6.1.15    5 years ago

It's easier for dumb ignorant fucks like me

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.19  Ender  replied to  Release The Kraken @6.1.15    5 years ago

Haven't had a refund in years. Always seem to break even,

When I worked in the car business I was always paid as contract work. First year of that I didn't figure out being ones own boss costs twice as much. Owed that year.

Most people get refunds because of EIC.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
6.1.20  lady in black  replied to  Ender @6.1.19    5 years ago

I get a refund for Federal but always owe State. To play it safe I have more taking out for Federal only due to the fact that one year my late husband and I took the wrong advice and ended up owing thousands.  

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
6.1.21  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @6.1.19    5 years ago
First year of that I didn't figure out being ones own boss costs twice as much.

learning how to write things off and spreading out the losses is key.

my house was my office and showroom, so I wrote off half of my housing expenses. including property taxes, electric bills, insurance, repairs, maintenance and I do mean everything associated with cost or upkeep of being in and owning my office/showroom.  this more than offset the cost of paying both sides of fica

HR block free audit support guarantee?  priceless :)

I was audited once... in the end, they demanded immediate payment of about 17 dollars...

seems I could "adjust" a previous return faster than they could.... LOL

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.22  Ender  replied to  lady in black @6.1.20    5 years ago
ended up owing thousands

Was in the same boat. Owed enough that they happily set up a payment plan.

Thought, never again.

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.23  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @6.1.21    5 years ago

At first I thought, what the hell. I will say the woman I was dealing with was patient with me. Explaining that being my own boss I had to pay the company share that would normally be paid by the business employing a person.

Was more or less a crash course in taxes. Learned a lot that year.

My job after the car business, I ended up doing the taxes for the company. Did the quarterly and end of year. A small business so not that bad.

they demanded immediate payment of about 17 dollars

Hahaha   Probably thought they would get you on something.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.24  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @6.1.19    5 years ago
Most people get refunds because of EIC.

I get a refund because I claim 0 on my W4. I don't get refunds because I don't get EIC

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.25  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.24    5 years ago

I always claim one.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.27  Trout Giggles  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.24    5 years ago

I mean I get a refund but it's not because I get EIC.

Man.....I can't even understand what I write today

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.28  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.27    5 years ago

Haha   I understood.

I have just seen people that get between 3 and 5k back because of the deduction. Use it to get a new tv or something.

Never have used it myself. Not having kids will do that.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7  It Is ME    5 years ago

Those "Hispanic" bald "White Guys" really fucked things up huh ! (Facepalm face)

cms5
Freshman Quiet
8  cms5    5 years ago

Hysterical! The Press is reporting that they hate being briefed in the briefing room! Trump continues to play with the media...priceless!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  cms5 @8    5 years ago

What 'press briefing' actually went on?