╌>

Marine Corps integrates male and female platoons during boot camp for the first time

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  1stwarrior  •  5 years ago  •  24 comments

Marine Corps integrates male and female platoons during boot camp for the first time
Unlike other services, the Marines have not fully integrated female recruits.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

For the first time in its history, the Marine Corps will   integrate   female and male platoons during boot camp.

Unlike the other services, the Marine Corps has not fully integrated women and men during recruit training. Instead, at Recruit Depot Parris Island in South Carolina, the first three battalions are all-male, while the fourth battalion is all-female.

"On January 5, 2019, 3rd Recruit Training Battalion aboard Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, will start their training cycle with one female platoon and five male platoons," the Marine Corps said in a statement Friday, first reported by ABC News.

While the change is not permanent, a Marine Corps spokesman told ABC News that the service "will certainly look at how the company performs in this model as we continually evaluate how we make Marines."

The Marine Corps, which has the lowest percentage of women among the services at just under 9 percent, decided to incorporate the 50 female recruits into the historically all-male battalion because the recruiting classes are typically much smaller in the winter months. The integration allowed Parris Island to not activate 4th Recruit Training Battalion staff for a single female platoon.

"The decision was made by Marine Corps leadership in support of training efficiency and is a first in the history of Marine Corps recruit training," the statement said.

The female recruits will still be led by female Drill Instructors, but will live in barracks co-inhabited by their male counterparts.

"This training cycle of about 300 recruits will provide Recruit Depot staff a unique opportunity to assess outcomes, achievements and challenges in training, logistics and resource impacts of this company training model," the Marine Corps said.

Despite segregated male and female battalions, the Marine Corps has been increasing the amount of training men and women do together -- something   ABC News saw first hand   during a visit to Parris Island in February.

“The value of increasing the amount of integration that occurs between male and female recruits is that with increased exposure and socialization we address some of the attitudes that male recruits might have about female recruits and vice versa,” Lt. Col. Misty Posey, who leads the 4th Battalion, told ABC News during that visit.

Posey didn't see gender segregation as a detriment, but praised the Corps' efforts to have more instances of men and women interacting in their training, beyond just merely operating side by side. Sixty percent of recruit training is now either gender-integrated or co-located, according to the Marine Corps.

parris-island-marines-03-abc-jc-180207_1

Male and female recruits complete the Combat Fitness Test exercises together: running side by side, facing each other while lifting the same 30-pound ammunition can over their heads, and sometimes even carrying one another on their backs. The genders are also integrated during the end of “The Crucible” -- the 54-hour culminating event of training where recruits face physical, mental, and moral challenges with only eight hours of sleep over the three days. They now hike the last nine miles of the event together.

The Marine Corps' West Coast recruit training in San Diego has not been opened to female recruits, something the Corps has said is due to the low number of women enlisting in the service.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1  seeder  1stwarrior    5 years ago

Got a feeling that this is going to "potentially" create some issues the Corps isn't ready to handle.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2  seeder  1stwarrior    5 years ago

Wwwhhoooaaaa - don't remember being allowed to use a scope during weapons qual - even at the 600 yard line.

Damn new Marine Corps jrSmiley_11_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @2    5 years ago

Women are generally better shooters. They make excellent snipers, just as the Russians. 

Iamak47
Freshman Silent
2.2  Iamak47  replied to  1stwarrior @2    5 years ago

They began to phase out iron sight qualifications at Parris Island in 2010.  My son graduated January 2011 and was the last full company to qualify with iron.  The next company all qualified with optics.

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    5 years ago

I don't see a problem really. If anything, I would think it would make it more equal.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago

I would think this is the more sensible course. If you're going to be working with women in the field, it seems like you should be training with them.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    5 years ago
the low number of women enlisting in the service

Interesting. It's well and good to open up opportunities, but you can't make people do something they don't want to do just because you're on a mission to increase diversity.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @6    5 years ago

Indeed, none of this is being done for altruistic reasons.  There simply were not enough female recruits to fill the 4th Battalion or justify the personnel necessary to run the 4th Battalion.

Even if this class of females graduates, IMHO, the Corps will revert to filling and funding the 4th in the future.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7  Thrawn 31    5 years ago

Hmmm, IDK about this. Guess we will just have to see what happens, firewatch better damn well do their fucking job lol.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
8  Sunshine    5 years ago

Oh wow...it happened under that sexist Commander in Chief Trump....imagine that.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.1  Tacos!  replied to  Sunshine @8    5 years ago

It's all part of the war on women.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  Tacos! @8.1    5 years ago

lol...now they have to see them scratch their balls and smell their farts all night.  No way would I want to sleep with a bunch of men.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9  It Is ME    5 years ago

"The female recruits will still be led by female Drill Instructors, but will live in barracks co-inhabited by their male counterparts."

Why ?

What's good for the Gander, should definitely be good for the Goose too....wouldn't you think ?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9.1  Split Personality  replied to  It Is ME @9    5 years ago

Instead of opening up the 4th Battalion building

the female recruits will occupy one of the 6 wings in the 3rd Battalion barracks.

it will increase the likelihood of fraternization, but they will be in separate quarters, led by female NCOs.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Split Personality @9.1    5 years ago

Is "Led by a Female NCO" a prerequisite for this to work ?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10  Split Personality    5 years ago

384 384

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
12  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

“The value of increasing the amount of integration that occurs between male and female recruits is that with increased exposure and socialization we address some of the attitudes that male recruits might have about female recruits and vice versa,” Lt. Col. Misty Posey, who leads the 4th Battalion, told ABC News during that visit."

That is the reason? That dosen't make the Marines more effective. That's progressive social engineering. 

It sounds like Lt.Col. Misty Posey will be getting promoted should we get another liberal President.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
13  seeder  1stwarrior    5 years ago

Increased exposure and socialization???  Not sure those are redeeming qualities for battle units.

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
14  cjfrommn    5 years ago

well i am excited to see how this turns out. i have found that female officers are a plus when i worked them because they keep things calm and yet have a the great ability to think before they act and rarely get bent over insults or egos. 

so this also might be good for those guys to now have a day to day interaction so that less crap goes on and a sense of equal work deserves that equal respect.