╌>

A growing number of Americans blame Trump for shutdown: Reuters-Ipsos poll

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  50 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

973af590-e89a-11e6-b294-9bc8096ac008_reu   By Chris Kahn, Reuters   13 hours ago  

By Chris Kahn

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A growing proportion of Americans blame President Donald Trump for a partial government shutdown that will cut off paychecks to federal workers this week, though Republicans mostly support his refusal to approve a budget without taxpayer dollars for the U.S.-Mexico border wall, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Tuesday.

The national opinion poll, which ran from Jan. 1 to Jan. 7, found that 51 percent of adults believe Trump “deserves most of the blame” for the shutdown, which entered its 18th day on Tuesday. That is up 4 percentage points from a similar poll that ran from Dec. 21 to 25.

Another 32 percent blame congressional Democrats for the shutdown and 7 percent blame congressional Republicans, according to the poll. Those percentages are mostly unchanged from the previous poll.

To see a graphic showing the results of the poll, click here https://tmsnrt.rs/2RGb7ko.

Trump has promised to keep the government partially closed until Congress approves funding for an expanded barrier along the border.

Illegal border crossings into the United States have declined dramatically in recent years, yet Trump insists a wall is still necessary to stem a “humanitarian and national security crisis” in the region.

The president has asked Congress for nearly $6 billion for the wall and was expected to make his case directly to the public on Tuesday night in a nationally televised address.

Democratic leaders in Congress have refused to approve funding for additional border fencing, saying that it is an ineffective way to secure the border.

Public support for a border wall has shifted considerably over the past few years as it became a centerpiece of the Trump agenda. The poll found that 41 percent of the public supports building additional border fencing, down 12 points from a similar poll that ran in the first week of 2015, as opposition doubled among Democrats.

It also found that only 35 percent of adults in the United States support a congressional spending bill that includes funding for the wall, and 25 percent support Trump’s decision to keep the government closed until Congress approves funding for the wall.

Republicans, however, strongly support Trump’s pursuit of an expanded border wall. They have consistently ranked immigration as their top concern for the country. Seventy-seven percent of Republicans said in the most recent poll that they want additional border fencing, and 54 percent said they support Trump shutting down the government until Congress approves funding for the wall.

The government shutdown has affected a broad swatch of the federal government already, including national parks, airline security screening, housing and food aid, and the release of economic data. About 800,000 federal workers have been furloughed or are working without pay, and many will miss paychecks for the first time on Friday.

The Reuters/Ipsos poll was conducted online in English throughout the United States. It gathered responses from 2,203 adults, including 722 Republicans and 867 Democrats. The poll has a credibility interval, a measure of precision, of 2 percentage points.

(Reporting by Chris Kahn; editing by Jonathan Oatis)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Only an idiot wouldn't blame the turd for the shutdown when he said 'I own this shutdown, I'm proud of it'

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

He shut it down while the Republicans were still in charge of the House and even they shouldn't get the blame since they were all on their holiday vacations.  This is all on Trump.  Even Trump supporters on here are saying that although they think it's a good thing for some stupid reason.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1    5 years ago
Even Trump supporters on here are saying that although they think it's a good thing for some stupid reason.

they spout on about the deficit

while it has increased by 2 TRILLION while Don Boy has been in office with R control of both houses.

What a DIK

ASZ for his support.....                        ?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2  Dean Moriarty    5 years ago

I don’t blame him, I give him credit. The longer he can shutdown the wasteful theft and redistribution machine the better. He should keep it shutdown until his office and congress can agree on a budget that reduces our debt not increases it. Now is the time for the big cuts needed to bring this runaway spending under control. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    5 years ago

So you have no problem with federal prison guards not getting paid.....

hope you don't live near a federal prison....

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.1    5 years ago

The majority of those incarcerated ARE NOT illegals.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.1    5 years ago

But wait....can't fences and walls be scaled/climbed? If the guards aren't minding the store.....

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.2    5 years ago

Well if they are illegal, shouldn't they be?  

Or do illegal immigrants get a free pass the legal citizens don't get?

??

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.5    5 years ago

I'm all for a fence because a wall is just too expensive. I'm just trying to show that we have people out there doing very important jobs but I'm seeing a lot of comments that think these folks are superfluous because they are part of the shut down. The only problem here is that these guards and TSA agents perform an important function in our daily lives but are not getting paid.

And like I said in an earlier comment....let's put in mine fields, too. Let's get all East German on this thing

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.7    5 years ago

I would love to abolish the TSA. I preferred flying before we had those knuckleheads molesting passengers and searching through our personal belongings. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2.1.8    5 years ago

Guess what? We agree. The TSA was only one of George Bush's boneheaded ideas.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.10    5 years ago

And PLEASE stop the bullshit line they're not getting paid.  THEY WILL be paid, but it will be delayed, that's all.  THEY WILL ALL BE PAID!!!!!

They won't be getting paid on Friday which is their payday. I know they WILL get paid but in the meantime they need to pay their bills just the same as you and me. Most of them live paycheck to paycheck just like most Americans.

East German - Soviet....all communists. so what?

Is there anything you haven't done?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.12  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.11    5 years ago

I've said the same thing TG.  How are they supposed to pay their bills in the meantime?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.12    5 years ago

They don't. They probably won't be able to buy gas to get to work

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3  lady in black    5 years ago

It's HIS shut down and he is PROUD of it, even though he's screwing over average Americans, but again he says he can feel their pain, BULLSHIT.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  lady in black @3    5 years ago

As he should be. I’ll take that over him signing a budget that increases the debt by a trillion dollars. The worst thing he can do is rubber stamp this runaway spending. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3.1    5 years ago
’ll take that over him signing a budget that increases the debt by a trillion dollars.

You do realize of course

that since Ttrumppy took office

our debt HAS INCREASED OVER 2 TRILLION DOLLARS ????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Those Tax cuts for the Wealthy and UBER rich corporations and such, 

our left for our children and their children, but hey

stock buy backs shoveled a ton of money into the pockets of those

that already had TONS N TONS of Money !

WTF

This POTUS is so off the charts in the depths of WRONG

U would need a submarine to track said Chart

as he's RECHARTED

in sow many ways

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3.1    5 years ago

Do you want trmp to have 5.7 billion or not?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.2    5 years ago

'id  prefer he had a heart attack

but

thats just my benevolent side

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3.1.4  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.2    5 years ago

I want him to cut the debt not increase it. I do not support a budget that adds to the debt wall or not. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.5  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3.1.4    5 years ago
I want him to cut the debt not increase it.

Well

your hero is doing a bang up job so farr

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3.1.4    5 years ago

Well, don't look now but he's already increased it. If you are anything like the other righties on here, you won't sleep easily until there's WALL built around the entire United States.

Personally, 5.7 billion is not a lot to ask for. I suggest that Congress give it to him and build a fence, but make sure there's enough money left over for a mine field. If y'all want to get serious about border security, then goddammit let's get serious

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.7  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.6    5 years ago
If y'all want to get serious about border security, then goddammit let's get seriou

yea, don't be a bunch of pussies,

Trump's little hands couldn't grab

, or

nuke Mexico,

but have them pay for it FIRST

this time

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3.1.8  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.6    5 years ago

The wall is a bandaid the root cause of the problem is the welfare state that is attracting poor people to come for the freebies. Coming to work is one thing coming for welfare is another. You can’t have both a welfare state and open borders. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3.1.8    5 years ago

Do you have any sources for that claim (coming here for freebies)?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.10  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3.1    5 years ago

Rump is doing all the runaway spending.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.11  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3.1.8    5 years ago

What freebies are they?  How do I get them?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.1.12  lady in black  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3.1    5 years ago

He's blown the debt out of the water as it is and you want to spend billions more for a wall that won't do shit , okay, sure, right.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3.1.13  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.11    5 years ago

You simply sneak across the border and then tell them you need food, shelter medical care and education for the kids you drag with you. That’s what is happening at the border now. Who do you think pays for that stuff? 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.15  Trout Giggles  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.14    5 years ago

I want a wall between me and Texas

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.16  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.15    5 years ago

dump used motor oil on corners before a rain storm and then open a truck and suburban junkyard. very few of them can drive the speed limit.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.17  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.1.3    5 years ago

Don't you have to have a heart to have a heart attack?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.18  Trout Giggles  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.14    5 years ago
I prefer he get the FULL 25 or so billion to complete the entire fucking wall.

He could have had that last year if he has just compromised on DACA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.20  Trout Giggles  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.19    5 years ago

ok....sure

I don't Texas is as self-sufficient as you seem to think it is

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.24  Trout Giggles  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.22    5 years ago

oh goody....then get started on that wall between Arkansas and Texas, will you?

Hope you don't need any interstate commerce.....

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.25  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.24    5 years ago

oh goody....then get started on that wall between Arkansas and Texas, will you?

Hope you don't need any interstate commerce.....

Lol not much of a border there.  

Don't think they have much trouble driving around it.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.26  devangelical  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.23    5 years ago

Nope. Nixon helped me to decide never to vote for corporate Koch suckers ever again.