╌>

Ginsburg misses third consecutive day at Supreme Court

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  5 years ago  •  29 comments

Ginsburg misses third consecutive day at Supreme Court

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was absent from the bench for a third straight day on Wednesday.

Chief Justice John Roberts said Ginsburg was unable to be present for arguments but would participate in deciding Wednesday’s case via briefs and transcripts of oral arguments.

The 85-year-old justice is working from home after   undergoing surgery on Dec. 21 to remove two cancerous nodules from her left lung. Roberts did not say whether Ginsburg would be back on the bench next week.

Her absence Monday marked the first time in more than 25 years on the court that she missed an oral argument due to her health.

The Supreme Court’s Press Office said last month that Ginsburg’s cancer was discovered in an X-ray after she fractured three ribs on her left side in a Nov. 7 fall. Both nodules removed during surgery were found to be malignant on initial pathology evaluation, but post-surgery there was no evidence of any remaining disease.

Ginsburg has survived two previous bouts of cancer — colon cancer in 1999 and pancreatic cancer in 2009 — and did not miss a day in court during those periods.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    5 years ago

Maybe they can have Kate McKinnon stand in for her ..... she does a pretty good RBG

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3  Jack_TX    5 years ago

I don't begrudge her the recovery time. 

Also, I'm not sure she needs to be there for oral arguments.  It's not like they matter to her anyway.  She's going to automatically vote for whichever side is more liberal.  Studying the case is simply how she rationalizes it.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.2  pat wilson  replied to  Jack_TX @3    5 years ago

She does nothing "automatically". You know that.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
3.2.1  Cerenkov  replied to  pat wilson @3.2    5 years ago

Sure she does. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.2.2  pat wilson  replied to  Cerenkov @3.2.1    5 years ago

Wasn't talking to you, Cere.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.2.3  Jack_TX  replied to  pat wilson @3.2    5 years ago
She does nothing "automatically". You know that.

Nonsense.  She's an automatic vote for whatever is the prevailing leftist view on any case.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
3.2.4  Cerenkov  replied to  Jack_TX @3.2.3    5 years ago

Exactly 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
3.2.5  Cerenkov  replied to  pat wilson @3.2.2    5 years ago

You might want to avoid public forums then.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4  Sunshine    5 years ago

She always looks like she is pain....I feel sorry for her.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago

I wonder if she is genuinely concerned about who might replace her - at least to the level that Democrats worry about it. It seems to me if that were the case, she should have resigned while Obama was still in office or even when the Democrats still controlled the Senate.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Tacos! @5    5 years ago

I'd bet that's the only reason she hasn't resigned, her partisan beliefs. 

I'm sure she thought Clinton was going to win and she could resign during her term.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6  Dean Moriarty    5 years ago

She’s Ok. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

RBG will quit only when they carry her out feet first. I'll give her credit though.  She may be old and onery, but she is stubborn...

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
8  MonsterMash    5 years ago

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdnews-pull2-mvaqgu6sx.netdna-ssl.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F06%2FRuthless-A.F.-Branco-political-cartoon-590x422.jpg&f=1

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
11  MonsterMash    5 years ago

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.newyorker.com%2Fphotos%2F59096d122179605b11ad717f%2F4%3A3%2Fw_620%2Cc_limit%2FBorowitz-RGB.jpg&f=1

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
12  MonsterMash    5 years ago

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theeditorialcartoons.com%2Fproperties%2Fpeters%2Fart_images%2Fcg53deff042fc05.jpg&f=1