╌>

BREAKING NEWS: DHS Test Cut Right Through Trump’s Border Wall Steel Slats with a Saw

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  330 comments

BREAKING NEWS: DHS Test Cut Right Through Trump’s Border Wall Steel Slats with a Saw
" . . . a gaping hole in the middle after experts from the Marine Corps were instructed to attempt to destroy the barriers with common tools".

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A test of a steel prototype for the proposed border wall showed it could be sawed through. ( NBC News Exclusive)

Department of Home land Security testing of a prototype of the steel slat design that Donald Trump favors for his border wall proved that it could be cut through with a saw. NBC News reports.  A photo obtained by the network shows the slats with a gaping hole in the middle after experts from the Marine Corps were instructed to attempt to destroy the barriers with common tools. 

During the presidential campaign, Trump promised to build an “impenetrable, physical, tall, powerful, beautiful” wall on the border that would be paid for by Mexico.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Department of Homeland Security testing of a prototype of the steel slat design that Donald Trump favors for his border wall proved that it could be cut through with a saw. NBC News reports.

Ooops!

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

During the presidential campaign, Trump promised to build an “impenetrable, physical, tall, powerful, beautiful” wall on the border that would be paid for by Mexico. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1  Tacos!  replied to  Krishna @2    5 years ago

Since 2009, we've sent Mexico about $4 billion in foreign aid. We knock that off and in a few years Mexico will have paid for the wall.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3  Colour Me Free    5 years ago
A photo obtained by the network shows the slats with a gaping hole in the middle after experts from the Marine Corps were instructed to attempt to destroy the barriers with common tools.

HA!  Experts being a key word ….

I can see it now, immigrants at the fence with generators and power tools / oxyacetylene tanks and torches hacking their way in, heavy walled steel square tubing requires a rather heavy duty saw or a torch .. given the 'correct' tools most anything is penetrable .. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
3.1  Sunshine  replied to  Colour Me Free @3    5 years ago

lol

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Colour Me Free @3    5 years ago
immigrants at the fence with generators and power tools/ oxyacetylene tanks and torches hacking their way in,

And lets not forget that most (if not all) of those "immigrants" are members of Arab terrorist organizations or members of drug cartels-- neither of which would have the money to be able to safford those items (nor would they have the degree of motivation required...).

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.2.1  Colour Me Free  replied to  Krishna @3.2    5 years ago

It seems to have become an issue, there are those that seem to hang on every word from the president .. he is an idiot that spits shit out without thinking and the media sucks and swallows to bring 'We the People' all the drool 'we' can handle ...

I think it is a given that there are those crossing the southern border that have NO desire to bring attention to themselves .. cartels and terrorists being an example - I do not foresee them cutting their way through the fence .. do you - serious question … Do you see the cartels and terrorists cutting a hole in the fence?  Doing so would create a spectacle even in remote areas...

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.2.2  Snuffy  replied to  Colour Me Free @3.2.1    5 years ago
It seems to have become an issue, there are those that seem to hang on every word from the president .. he is an idiot that spits shit out without thinking and the media sucks and swallows to bring 'We the People' all the drool 'we' can handle ...

yes, this is what politics and arguments have become. Depending on what side they are on, people will look for the exception or the single issue and try to make that win the entire argument. As has been said for many years,  common sense is not very common these days.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Colour Me Free @3.2.1    5 years ago

Do you see the cartels and terrorists cutting a hole in the fence? 

Of course I do. True-- most of those attempting to cross illegally are women and children-- obvious not people who have purchased power tools in Central America to carry to the border, LOL! 

However drug cartels are highly motivated (the amount of profit they make in even one trip is YUGE!). And in the past they've done some very creative things to get drugs across the border-- using catapaults to hurl packets of drugs over high barriers-- and digging some surprisingly long and sophisticated tunnels under the barriers! So cutting through those steel columns would be easy.

(And don't forget the YUGE amounts of money they have-- they can hire various experts in the use of tools-- or just about any other sort of person they need-- big bucks plus threats of intimidation...)

Doing so would create a spectacle even in remote areas...

In very remote area it wouldn't create a spectacle if there was no one there at the time  to see it. (As many familiar with the situation keep mentioning, our border patrol is greatly under-staffed).

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.2.4  Colour Me Free  replied to  Snuffy @3.2.2    5 years ago
As has been said for many years,  common sense is not very common these days.

Cannot argue with that  … no one seems to be exempt from the affliction either …. too many are accepting opinion as fact, on all sides of the political spectrum ...

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.2.6  Colour Me Free  replied to  Krishna @3.2.3    5 years ago
using catapaults to hurl packets of drugs over high barriers-- and digging some surprisingly long and sophisticated tunnels under the barriers! So cutting through those steel columns would be easy.

Okay... not going to argue .. but I will say I do not foresee the cartel cutting holes in the fence .. this whole example in this article is a bit ridiculous, it is not much more that ridicule of the presidents desire to build a wall.... isn't it?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.2.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Colour Me Free @3.2.1    5 years ago

Good morning Colour Me. Hope all is well with you up in the great Northwest. As you know, I live right on the border and I have seen first hand the ingenuity that illegals and the human and drug smugglers can come up with. They do not need high tech gizmos. A example of what the drug cartels have come up with to get loads of weed and cocaine past the border fence is to pack them in galvanized steel trash cans, put them on the back of a pickup and use a simple compressed air cannon to loft them over the fence! Make a very loud but distinctive semi muffled WHHUUMMP noise. They are very mobile and do this at night and move from place to place for each launch. Then somebody on this side is waiting with a empty truck to pick up the loads and drive away. They have gone off within blocks of my house and I get woken up by them every now and then. Drives the Border Patrol nuts sometimes. Funny how hardly anybody hears about this from the media.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.2.9  Colour Me Free  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.2.7    5 years ago

Hello Ed … all is good here in the Norse land : ) still think if Montanans are smart, they will listen to me and fence Montana NOW from the tourist tires that come and never leave .. they may not be illegal - but they are an alien force : )

Funny how hardly anybody hears about this from the media.

An agenda free media might report on such events .. yet the current media platform is designed to make 'illegal alien immigration' look rosy .. saints all of them, just looking for a better life - the poor things.... "These are not the droid you are looking for" type mentality … an expert Marine demolition crew cut a hole in the fence and now the fence is worthless .. go figure...

My Uncle once lived in your neck of the woods .. he would sit out on his deck at night and watch the rats scurry across his property - even vehicles driving across his unfenced areas … no one has a clue how many illegals cross the border and live in the shadows - as long as it can be ignored, and individuals like yourself are poo poo'd, the fantasy can be kept alive that illegals are only looking for a better life.....

P.s... I am all for legal immigration .. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.2.13  Snuffy  replied to  Kathleen @3.2.12    5 years ago

Agreed. There's already 650 miles of border barrier that exists now. Democrats used to vote for border fencing not all that long ago. It really seems that the only real issue right now is Trump. And it's a shame.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.2.14  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Colour Me Free @3.2.1    5 years ago

Cartels, illegals, and human traffickers cutting holes in the border fence happens all the time in my neck of the woods...

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.3  SteevieGee  replied to  Colour Me Free @3    5 years ago
I can see it now, immigrants at the fence with generators and power tools / oxyacetylene tanks and torches hacking their way in

I have a cordless sawzall that would cut through that wall but it would take a while.  This cutoff saw would be the best bet.  It will cut wood, steel, concrete, or just about anything if you have the right blade.  No generator needed.                                                                                                                                                               

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.3.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  SteevieGee @3.3    5 years ago

I'm thinking a simple jack would be able to bend that shit in minutes.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.3.2  Colour Me Free  replied to  SteevieGee @3.3    5 years ago

Thanks SteevieGee …. My bad, I was not considering gas powered devices .. I have one of those particular saws (just not Husqvarna brand) it is a monster .. my hands can no longer handle the beast ….

That said, I said 

given the 'correct' tools most anything is penetrable ..

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.3.3  Colour Me Free  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.3.1    5 years ago

Like a bottle jack?

The pic makes the tubing look rather thin walled (almost like wood even) but I am thinking it is at least half inch wall .. do you think that steel is 4x4 or 6x6 .. larger?

A large porta power perhaps....

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.3.4  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Colour Me Free @3.3.3    5 years ago

One or more manual car jacks working simultaneously at the right distance from the connection point might be able to bend that enough to get a man through it, imo.  

zuksam
Junior Silent
3.3.5  zuksam  replied to  Colour Me Free @3.3.3    5 years ago
do you think that steel is 4x4 or 6x6

It looks to be 10"x10'. It's basically like a Lally Column, a steel tube filled with concrete. If it also has rebar running through the concrete it would be much stronger and harder to cut because the concrete would need to be chipped or cut away to get to the rebar to cut that. If it's just a steel sleeve filled with concrete once the sleeve is cut you just need to fracture the concrete post. I don't think anyone should be surprised that the "Experts" from a Marine Corps Demo Team were able to cut through it, that's what they do, that's what they're trained to do and that's what their equipment is designed to do. I'd be shocked if they couldn't do it, the real question is how long did it take to cut one column and how does that compare to the response time of the border patrol.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.3.6  Colour Me Free  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.3.4    5 years ago

Fair enough .. I cannot visualize it happening, but I also do not know enough about the steel being used .. after 15 + years working as a fabricator with structural steel .. I do not know the connection point that you speak of, we sleeved splices with steel plates ,,, but I built building and bridges, I am thinking the fence is being built under structural code though .. (I built ornamental artwork/scrulpture/fencing/railing etc on the side)

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.3.7  Colour Me Free  replied to  zuksam @3.3.5    5 years ago

Agreed zuksam .. 'expert' is a key word ...

The pic is deceptive at best, and most likely meant to be .. cutting the fence would create quite a ruckus in my opinion, giving border patrol a considerable 'heads up' that someone is attempting to breach the wall.... 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.3.9  Split Personality  replied to    5 years ago

Not like butter, but easy enough, easier with some water.

This one is cordless...

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.3.10  Split Personality  replied to  Colour Me Free @3.3.3    5 years ago

The concrete filling is supposed to prevent the steel "tubing" from flexing

zuksam
Junior Silent
4  zuksam    5 years ago

How long do you think it took to cut through that wall ?  How long does it take to run across an open field ? The time difference is the reason we need the wall, it's purpose is to give the border patrol time to respond.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1  Ozzwald  replied to  zuksam @4    5 years ago
How long do you think it took to cut through that wall ? 

Does it matter?  It only slows down the first one through, everybody else just goes through the same hole.  Or are you assuming that we will be providing 24/7 visual inspections of every foot of the 2000 mile wall on a daily basis?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1    5 years ago
providing 24/7 visual inspections of every foot of the 2000 mile wall on a daily basis?

It will be necessary to provide even if it's a fence with razor wire. Drones could be used...but what is the response time for agents to get to that particular spot?

zuksam
Junior Silent
4.1.2  zuksam  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1    5 years ago

I would think we would have sensors that would trigger an alarm when it feels the kind of vibrations caused by the kind of power tools it would take to cut through that wall. The wall is supposed to be one part of a system. A Bank Vault won't prevent robbery without an alarm and an alarm does nothing without police to respond. The fact that a vault isn't a be all end all solution to robbery hasn't prevented every bank from installing one, the main purpose of a bank vault is to give police time to respond because without one the robbers would take the money and be gone before the cop even put down his donut. With the wall it's the same thing it probably took more than a hour to cut through that wall which is much longer than the 25 seconds it takes illegals to run across an open field and the vibration of cutting the wall sets off the alarm which alerts the border patrol who respond with boots on the ground and  helicopters and drones in the sky.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.1    5 years ago

It will be necessary to provide even if it's a fence with razor wire. Drones could be used...but what is the response time for agents to get to that particular spot?

After the first people cut through those bars-- what happens next? Obviously it will take a while to fix it-- during which time other people will use the breach to enter the U.S....

We constantly hear how understaffed the border patrol is. They would be able to provide 24 hour surveillance to the first breach-- but eventually there will be more and more...

The only foolproof barrier would have to be incredibly complex, and incredibly expensive. (Of course as Trump has said repeatedly, the Mexicans would be happy to pay for it-- but that would probably bankrupt the entire Mexican economy!)

Perhaps we need something like the Apartheid Wall the Saudis are building:

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  zuksam @4.1.2    5 years ago

So a wall and all these other alert systems?

So I guess rump's wall is going to cost trillions then.  

Not happening.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.4    5 years ago

Even with a fence, we're going to have to beef up border patrol.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.7  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.4    5 years ago

So a wall and all these other alert systems?

So I guess rump's wall is going to cost trillions then.

Correct! But s o what? Trump has promised (on numerous occasions!) that the Mexicans are going to pay for it. And would Trumplie-- of course not! ("PROMISES MADE, PROMISES KEPT!)

So we will have the Wall, you can be sure of that!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.6    5 years ago

Let's not forget mine fields.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.8    5 years ago

'Let's not forget mine fields.'

And a moat chock full of alligators and crocodiles and sharks, sharks with laser beams on their heads.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.9    5 years ago

Oooo....I like the moat idea!

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.1.12  arkpdx  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.8    5 years ago

Works for me. I have no objections to that. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.13  Split Personality  replied to  Krishna @4.1.3    5 years ago

remind anyone of the Maginot line?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.13    5 years ago

And that failed miserably....

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.15  Sparty On  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.13    5 years ago

Not in the least.  

i usually don't compare something intended to stop an invading Armies to something intended to stop illegal immigration.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.17  Tessylo  replied to  gooseisgone @4.1.16    5 years ago

Trillions and I'm a budget hawk?

jrSmiley_23_smiley_image.gif

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1.18  Nowhere Man  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.13    5 years ago
remind anyone of the Maginot line?

The Maginot Line was never completed, and the Germans went around it...... thru the low countries..... which didn't have a wall. (except for Belgium which took the Wehrmacht 36 hours to defeat they went through Luxembourg where there was no wall)

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.19  Sparty On  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.18    5 years ago

Please don't complicate their disinformation campaign with inconvenient facts.... they hate that.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1.20  Nowhere Man  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.19    5 years ago

Well I would think that understanding that walls don't work in a full military assault scenario, would lead to the acknowledgement that T-rumps wall won't work in a full military assault scenario either.

Full military assault scenario:

Tanks backed by Combat Troops & Engineers, Artillery, full Air Support with heavy bombers Etc, Etc,

But that's not what we are protecting against is it?

So you see we aren't really protecting the border from invasion at all. Well until these "migrants" get full military support from their allies. Until then we are well within our rights as a nation to control the flow of infiltrators aren't we.

Since they wish to speak in military terms...... How bout that war on drugs?

The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did. — John Ehrlichman, to Dan Baumfor Harper's Magazine in 1994, about PresidentRichard Nixon's war on drugs, declared in 1971.

The same political war that Nixon started lying about way back and every american president has doubled down on since. Finally we have a president that actually wants to do the one thing the rest refused to but claimed they wanted.....

That is what has their panties in a bunch, they (the politicians) don't actually want to stop the flow of drugs into the nation...... 

And the "Refugees" are nothing but a political tool to prevent this next logical step.....

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.21  Sparty On  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.20    5 years ago
Well I would think that understanding that walls don't work in a full military assault

True, problem is as i know you understand, the Maginot line wasn't even a "contiguous" wall.   It really wasn't a "wall" at all.

And the "Refugees" are nothing but a political tool to prevent this next logical step.....

As evidenced by many Dems flip-flop on border security.   This is more about TDS butt-hurt than  what's best for America.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1.23  Nowhere Man  replied to    5 years ago

Actually, it wasn't "sold" to the french people, they knew it wasn't finished, they ran out of money. the french people understood that their border with Germany was covered, and assumed that the rest of Europe would do likewise.

Poor analogy. Why?

Cause T-rump wants to actually finish it. Interesting that the Dems don't......

The maginot line was a military defense in depth line, it was supposed to be completed along the entire German border the Belgians completed their section but Luxembourg didn't even begin and the Netherlands hardly started.

And the french couldn't very well build it out along the Belgian/Dutch border now could they?

And it wasn't intended to stop illegal immigration, was it?

WE don't have those international political issues do we? (except for the willingness to actually do it, too much money to be lost)

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.24  Sparty On  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.23    5 years ago
they knew it wasn't finished

Plus it was easily thwarted by a newly devised technique at that time. 

Blitzkrieg.

Probably wouldn't have matter if it had been finished.   The Blitzkrieg likely would have still found the weak points and taken advantage of them before France could have responded in force.

Maginot line .....  US Border security wall  ...... it's a ridiculous comparison/analogy to make.   No doubt about it.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1.25  Nowhere Man  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.24    5 years ago

Well Blitzkreig works real well when it has surprise and no defenses against it on it's side. The Wehrmacht actually attacked the Maginot Line in two places and fell back. The Belgian fort Eban Emanual fell in three days to german assault engineers who parachuted on to the top of it, otherwise it would have held out even longer....

The Maginot line wasn't unbreachable, but it would have took a long while to pierce, the Germans actually found that out. But then it's purpose was to slow down any german advance into france so they could mobilize.

In that it failed miserably cause it wasn't finished and allies can not be relied on to do their part.

But yes factually, the analogy is a very poor one......

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.26  Split Personality  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.18    5 years ago

Which, looking at the Saudi map above, was my point.  The Maginot line was tested, for strategies sake, then outflanked.

If Iraq or anyone else wanted to invade SA from the north, they need only sweep around through Kuwait on one end (no wall, no real army )

or Jordan at the other end ( no wall but much better military capability )

Smugglers and immigrants will do the same.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1.27  Nowhere Man  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.26    5 years ago
they need only sweep around through Kuwait on one end (no wall, no real army ) or Jordan at the other end ( no wall but much better military capability )

And, we don't have that issue if the wall is completed.....

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    5 years ago
it could be cut through with a saw.

They have to stop using the cheap steel Trump uses in his buildings. (He charges tenants top dollar though)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @5    5 years ago
cheap steel

Maybe that's what trmp meant when he promised to bring back manufacturing jobs to America!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.1    5 years ago

How is that an insult?  To AMERICANS or otherwise?

You sure have your panties in a bunch.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.1    5 years ago

How did I insult steel workers? All I meant is maybe we can finally get some manufacturing jobs back to America

Unlike you, I come from a blue collar background. Grampap, Dad and all his brothers were coal miners

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.5  Split Personality  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.3    5 years ago

Yes, ma'am,  now it's a Casino

and Allan Wood Steel in Conshohocken Pa. 

Now ArcelorMittal, the rolling mill was idled once again 08/2018.  they are still doing plate finishing, but laid off hundreds (again).

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.6    5 years ago

We import cheap steel from overseas.....with trmp supposedly opening up manufacturing jobs maybe we won;t have to rely on "cheap steel"

You brag about all the work you've done....but none of it was blue collar

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.8  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.3    5 years ago

Don't know if anyone remembers Bethlehem Steel. My dad worked there years ago.  Your comment brought back memories.

I remember them. Weren't they the biggest (or one of the biggest) steel companies in America? (Perhaps in the world).

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.9  Dulay  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.1    5 years ago
Nice way to insult and denigrate all the AMERICANS working in steel plants around the country.

Do you have any evidence that contracts require that the steel used on the border fence is American made? 

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.10  Dulay  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.3    5 years ago
Don't know if anyone remembers Bethlehem Steel.

Bethlehem Steel is still running strong here in Northwest Indiana. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
5.1.11  Nowhere Man  replied to  Krishna @5.1.8    5 years ago
I remember them. Weren't they the biggest (or one of the biggest) steel companies in America? (Perhaps in the world).

That would have been US Steel.... There was another I think Bethlehem was #3......

epistte
Junior Guide
5.1.12  epistte  replied to  Nowhere Man @5.1.11    5 years ago

Then there LTV steel.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
5.1.13  Nowhere Man  replied to  epistte @5.1.12    5 years ago
LTV steel

Yep, Ling-Temco-Vought went bankrupt in 2000. was replaced by ArcelorMittal in the steel-making hierarchy....

epistte
Junior Guide
5.1.14  epistte  replied to  Nowhere Man @5.1.13    5 years ago

Locally to me there is Republic Steel. Timken produces steel for their bearings and specialty steels.

Arcelor-Mittal bought the former Cleveland steel LTV works.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
5.2  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  JohnRussell @5    5 years ago
They have to stop using the cheap steel

ya mean the cheap steel from china we were forced to buy after our steel mils closed?  

that is why trump is reopening steel plants in the USA.  manufacturing steel is a national security issue

ya can't blame trump for previous admins decisions to support globalism and sell us out.

but no worries... steel is coming back to our country and globalism is dying as we speak.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @5.2    5 years ago
'that is why trump is reopening steel plants in the USA.  manufacturing steel is a national security issue'

Since when?  Source?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @5.2    5 years ago

Trump's 2nd EO  ( remember when he lambasted Obama for using EO's?)

was coupled with an Executive Memorandum. (remember when Trump complained about Obama's EM's ? )

The EO declared all infrastructure projects would be completed with US steel and US labor.

The EM fast tracked the permits for Keystone and Dakota pipelines.

So as far as a border wall is concerned, any prototypes and or new sections or walls or repairs are already mandated to be completed with US steel .

Oh and the 2 pipelines?  Later exempted with the excuse that all of the pipe was already purchased, which is sort of a true lie.

Only one US Steel manufacturer makes 36 inch pipeline in the high grade required by the projects.

While future repairs are mandated to be done with American products, only one exists.

Steel analysts have long doubted that the president’s executive order would require the use of U.S.-made steel in the Keystone project, because the pipe for the project has already been purchased. Additionally, it’s questionable whether U.S. producers can make the necessary grade of steel for the 36-inch diameter pipe for the project.

“A lot of the steel grade used in that pipe isn’t readily available in the U.S.,” said Charles Bradford, a steel analyst in New York. Many U.S. steel makers also make pipe that is 24 inches in diameter or less, he said. The Keystone project is using a high grade of steel that is stronger and thicker than most steel used in pipelines and difficult for manufacturers to work with, according to Mr. Bradford.

“When you try to unroll it, it wants to maintain its rolled up shape,” he said. “There are very few people who can do that.”

A further complication is that pipe manufacturers often use steel made elsewhere. TransCanada Corp. , which is building the Keystone XL, said in 2012 that about 50%, or 332,800 tons of the 660,000 tons of high-strength pipe used in the U.S. portion of the project, would be U.S.-made by Welspun in Little Rock, Ark. The rest of the pipe would be from Regina, in Saskatchewan; Ilva, in Italy; and Welspun in India.

Welspun itself has most of it's operations in India, with the exception of Little Rock Arkansas

Manufacturing Locations

- Anjar and Dahej in Gujarat, India

- Mandya in Karnataka, India

- Little Rock in Arkanasas, USA

- Damman in Saudi Arabia (one of the largest spiral pipe manufacturing facilities in the region)

Apparently Welspun is such an American company that they don't notice that Arkansas is misspelled on their website.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2.3  Split Personality  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @5.2    5 years ago
 that is why trump is reopening steel plants in the USA.  manufacturing steel is a national security issue

Apparently not everyone got the memos, one of my old haunts, Alan Wood Steel Conshohocken PA

was years ago reopened by AlcerolMittal which has been laying off people in Chicago IL, Coatesville PA  in 2016

had gotten the Conshohcken facility up to 300 jobs, laid off 125 in Februay of 2018  and just idled the rolling mills in August.

In spite of what Trump wants, Steel corporations are businesses and operate accordingly.

There were 13 integrated steel mills in the US up through the 208 recession, then there were 9.

That number has not changed yet.

Yes i agree, manufacturing steel is a national security issue, but unless you want to abandon capitalism the future of new plants or the reopening of Alan Wood as an integrated facility

is just rhetoric.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.3  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @5    5 years ago

Once again you post fake news John.   Those cuts clearly weren't made by a saw.

Joseph Goebbels would be proud of your technique John.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.4  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @5    5 years ago
(He charges tenants top dollar though)

Why do you care, and what business is it of yours what others CHOOSE to pay in rent?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6  It Is ME    5 years ago

3 Ft. thick Concrete it is then. At least he gave the Democrats fence want a try. (snicker face)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @6    5 years ago

Not happening dude.

Rump is not getting his fucking wall.

We're not paying for it.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @6.1    5 years ago

YOU....have been Paying for every other persons wants funded by government over the decades.

Why does this ONE issue stick in your Craw ?

Something to think about....what deal did Trump actually make with Mexico (Real reporting is lacking on this matter) ? Did it save this country bucks ? If so, Mexico is now paying for a wall with the savings we just got !

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1.1    5 years ago

I hate trmp and pay taxes.....

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
6.1.4  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Tessylo @6.1    5 years ago
Rump is not getting his fucking wall.

if the dems no longer want to secure our border? (hint=they never actually did)

the military will get it done under "national security.

nothing can stop it.  

Pentagon Preparing for Potential Order to Build the Wall

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @6.1.4    5 years ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

He's still not getting his wall.

I guess that's when he'll lose the remaining 25% who still support him.  

You're using Breitfart as your source?  Even more hilarious.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1.1    5 years ago
[Deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.3    5 years ago
'I hate trmp and pay taxes.....'

Yup, me too.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @6.1.2    5 years ago
'Why does this ONE issue stick in your Craw ?'

It doesn't stick in my craw.  It's the rump supporters who have this stuck in their craw.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @6.1.2    5 years ago
'Something to think about....what deal did Trump actually make with Mexico (Real reporting is lacking on this matter) ? Did it save this country bucks ? If so, Mexico is now paying for a wall with the savings we just got !'

WTF are you talking about?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.8    5 years ago
It doesn't stick in my craw.  It's the rump supporters who have this stuck in their craw. 

Tada !

"I abhor hypocrisy. "

Don Lemon

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.11  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.9    5 years ago
WTF are you talking about?

I understand.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.13  Trout Giggles  replied to    5 years ago

No, but I would like a chest to pin it on

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.15  Trout Giggles  replied to    5 years ago

Nope. Just never had one.

But I'm glad you think older female bodies are so funny and something to ridicule

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1.18  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1.17    5 years ago
I don't know anyone named "One", do you?

Come on.. did you have to? I think it was pretty obvious who the comment was directed to. Please, no more meta on this article. Take your meta to Metafied.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.1.20  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @6.1    5 years ago

Ho hummm. Yawn...

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
6.1.21  Willjay9  replied to  It Is ME @6.1.2    5 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

You mean the deal that hasnt even made it through Congress?!! You mean the deal that will only benefit PRIVATE corporations, that in return thanks to Trumps tax cuts will be bring in 20% LESS to the Treasury??!!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.2  Sparty On  replied to  It Is ME @6    5 years ago

Nah, then they'll just come out with a study of a hole allegedly made by a hammer and a chisel that was clearly made by a 60 pound Pneumatic Jackhammer.

The crackpottery on display here is SOP for the day with these looners on the left.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
8  Sunshine    5 years ago
Why would mothers try to sneak in with a young child if they know so many mothers have had their kids taken away by force and put in steel cages?

Not sure the mothers know that.  Human traffickers lie.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Sunshine @8    5 years ago
Why would mothers try to sneak in with a young child if they know so many mothers have had their kids taken away by force and put in steel cages?

Not sure the mothers know that.  Human traffickers lie.

Are you claiming that they don't have any access to the Internet in Central America?

That they don't even have radio or TV?

That there aren't even any newspapers in Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador?

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  Krishna @8.1    5 years ago

So these mothers believe everything?  Also the coyotes tell them not to listen and that it is nonsense.   What mother puts their child in extreme danger..the kind that listen to the coyotes.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Sunshine @8.1.1    5 years ago
What mother puts their child in extreme danger..the kind that listen to the coyotes.

A mother who has two choices-- each of them not very good.

To stay in her own country-- where the odds are that she and her child will be brutally murdered, perhaps gang-raped and then tortured to death. (These countries may have "governments"-- but they are actually run by drug gangs. And they are particularly violent).

Her second choice is to attempt to get into the U.S. If trump is to be believed a huge number of immigrants from there ahve already made it into the U.S. (whether legally or not). So if she has family or close friends in the U.S. she knows what life here is like. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
8.1.3  arkpdx  replied to  Krishna @8.1.2    5 years ago
To stay in her own country-- where the odds are that she and her child will be brutally murdered, perhaps gang-raped and then tortured to death.

Except most of those that are in the "caravan" are not fleeing gangs and the threat of murder , rape and torture. They are fleeing the poverty and economics uncertainty in their countries and does not qualify them for refugee or asylum status    

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.1.4  Dulay  replied to  arkpdx @8.1.3    5 years ago

Then they'll be sent back, no worries...

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
8.1.5  Ronin2  replied to  Dulay @8.1.4    5 years ago

Assuming they don't skip out on their hearings, and vanish into the states to be with friends/family that hide them.

U.S. immigration enforcement and adjudication are failing. American immigration courts have the highest failure to appear rates of any courts in the country. Over the last 20 years, 37 percent of all aliens free pending trial failed to appear for their hearings. From the 2,498,375 foreign nationals outside detention during their court proceedings, 1,219,959 were ordered removed, 75 percent of them (918,098) for failing to appear. Only 25 percent of this group — some 301,861 people — actually litigated their claims. Trial courts are three times more likely to issue removal orders for failure to appear than removal orders based upon the merits of fully litigated claims. Nearly 46,000 people each year disappeared from court. 1 Deportation orders for failure to appear are the largest group of orders issued by immigration courts outside detention facilities. 2 From 1996 through 2015, removal orders for failure to appear numbered 918,098. Among those who absconded from court were 3,095 aliens from the 36 countries that promote terrorism. A disproportionate number — 338 altogether — came from those countries the U.S. State Department labels state sponsors of terrorism: Iran, Sudan, and Syria. As populations from countries that promote terrorism have increased since 9/11 — from naturalized citizens, immigrants, 3 and refugees 4 — plots and acts of Islam-inspired terrorism have also increased, more than twice as many under Barack Obama than under George W. Bush. Unexecuted removal orders now number 953,506 — a 58 percent increase since 2002. An average of 25,107 unexecuted orders of removal were added each year through 2015. 5

Interestingly, according to the EOIR statistics , the number of in absentia orders, that is, orders of removal issued in cases when the alien fails to appear, continues to increase. In FY 2017, 40,579 in absentia removal orders were issued, an increase of more than 26 percent over FY 2016, when 32,149 in absentia removal orders were issued. For the first two quarters of FY 2018, 22,411 in absentia orders were issued; if this trend continues for the rest of the fiscal year, the number of removal orders issued after aliens fail to appear for their hearings will surpass FY 2017. The reason for the increase in in absentia orders is not entirely clear, but may reflect a concern amongst aliens with no relief, or weak claims to relief, that they are more likely to be ordered removed under the Trump administration than they were under the Obama administration. That said, the number of in absentia orders of removal has been steadily increasing since FY 2012, following a drop off between FY 2010 (20,412 in absentia orders of removal) and FY 2012 (16,491 in absentia orders of removal).

Let them in and a good percentage will disappear; and finding them will cost much more in terms of resources and man power- than stopping them at the border.

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.1.6  Dulay  replied to  Ronin2 @8.1.5    5 years ago
Assuming they don't skip out on their hearings, and vanish into the states to be with friends/family that hide them.

Nope. Those released for hearings have already had 'credible fear' interviews. If they do not pass that interview, they do NOT get let in, they get sent back. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.2  Dulay  replied to  Sunshine @8    5 years ago
Human traffickers lie.

You know there is a difference between Human trafficking and Human smuggling right? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
9  Kavika     5 years ago

The Great Wall of China looked great:

The_Great_Wall_of_China_Facts_4.jpg

Until these guys breached it in 1215. They went through it, around it, over it. Also bribed their way through. They were an industrious lot.

mongol-horde-invasion.jpg

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @9    5 years ago

LOL! The Mongol herds. I hear that like every 5th person in China (or is it Mongolia) is related to Genghis Khan

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1    5 years ago

Actually it's all parts of the world that the Mongols conquered. 

Genghis Khan, Prolific Lover and the number is in the millions. 

BTW, I have that distinct Y chromosome so it's no wonder how I was able to help increase the population of both Australia and the U.S.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @9.1.1    5 years ago
I have that distinct Y chromosome so it's no wonder how I was able to help increase the population of both Australia and the U.S.  

Got your Genghis on, did ya?

So they are found in the Americas, too?

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1    5 years ago

I hear that like every 5th person in China (or is it Mongolia) is related to Genghis Khan.

OMG-- I hope Buzz is not one of them!

Probably not....

(Funny-- he doesn't look Mongolish!!!)

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1.4  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.2    5 years ago

You've heard of the Bering Strait theory haven't you...LOL....We do get around, Trout.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @9.1.4    5 years ago

Damn! Now I have the Beach Boys in my head.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.2  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @9    5 years ago

Lol, when immigrants at our border become organized Armies, start riding horses, subvert US Border Patrol and are issued Mongol Sabers perhaps this is good comparison.  

Otherwise ..... not so much jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.2.1  Kavika   replied to  Sparty On @9.2    5 years ago
Lol, when immigrants at our border become organized Armies, start riding horses.

I'm pretty sure that happened in the 15th century. Besides it was a bit of satire on the need for a lot more than a wall. You know that technology thingy. 

BTW when are you going to start building that wall between Michigan and Canada? Damn lot of terrorists have breached that border.

1jh26m.jpg

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.2.2  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @9.2.1    5 years ago

We've got a natural barrier and its pretty tough to build a wall on that ..... seeing that it's water.  

Besides, its a damn spot tougher emigrating from Greenland and Russian to the US than it is from Honduras or Guatemala.   Unless of course you're Grizzly Adams.

So no worries .....

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.2.3  Kavika   replied to  Sparty On @9.2.2    5 years ago
We've got a natural barrier and its pretty tough to build a wall on that ..... seeing that it's water.  

I'm sure that the Rio Grande is a river and we're going to build a fence/wall there. Perhaps our northern friends can learn from Texas....

You're aware that more terrorists have been caught crossing our northern border than the southern one, right?..

But some can see Russia from their front porch ya know. Also the Viking moved from Greenland to the north American mainland without much of a problem a thousand years ago...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.2.4  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @9.2.3    5 years ago
I'm sure that the Rio Grande is a river and we're going to build a fence/wall there. Perhaps our northern friends can learn from Texas....

Tell ya what.   We'll both grab an inner-tube, you get the Great Lakes and i get the Rio G.   We can compare notes after we cross if you survive.

You're aware that more terrorists have been caught crossing our northern border than the southern one, right?..

I thought we were talking about walls to help control immigration.   Is this thread about walls to curb Terrorism?

But some can see Russia from their front porch ya know. Also the Viking moved from Greenland to the north American mainland without much of a problem a thousand years ago...

C'mon Kavika, you're better that this.   Like Al Gore on inventing the internet, that comment was clearly misquoted but if it makes you feel better to use it.   By all means ... feel free

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.2.5  Kavika   replied to  Sparty On @9.2.4    5 years ago
Tell ya what.   We'll both grab an inner-tube, you get the Great Lakes and i get the Rio G.   We can compare notes after we cross if you survive.

Did you forget that I was born and raised on Gitchi Gumi (Lake Superior) also lived on the MN Canadian border (Warroad MN) on the Rainy River which is part of the border between the US and Canada and Lake of the Woods another water barrier between countries. Of course I know that it would be much more difficult to cross Lake Superior than the Rio Grande, but like the Rio Grande the great lakes don't cover the entire US Canadian border. 

The comment was if there going to build a wall on the Rio Grande or on either side why can't the same thing be done on the Great Lakes.

I thought we were talking about walls to curb immigration.   Is this thread about walls to curb Terrorism?

According to many articles and Trumps own words the wall will help stop terrorists. So it would seem to me that it's valid to bring in the terrorist aspect. And there is the drug aspect to building the wall as well. All seem to be valid points in a debate. 

C'mon Kavika, you're better that this.   Like Al Gore on inventing the internet, that comment was clearly misquoted but if it makes you feel better to use it.   By all means

Yes, of course it isn't the correct quote from Palin. It was ''“You can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska.”

It doesn't make me feel either way, it was a spoof sorry it went ''Woosh''. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @9.2.5    5 years ago

The Great Lakes only separate a small part of Canada from the US. I crossed the US-Canadian border in Montana and from Alaska. I understand you can also cross it into Washington State.

Surely I'm not the only one who knows this, am I?

And then there's Niagra Falls. My own daughter just made a visit there a few months ago. Had to have a passport....but crossed into Canada pretty easily.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.2.7  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @9.2.5    5 years ago

Lol, yeah right.    Whatever you say buddy.    But it is nice to see you don't feel either way.   Then you won't feel anything about your woosh that wasn't .....

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.2.8  Kavika   replied to  Sparty On @9.2.7    5 years ago
Lol, yeah right.    Whatever you say buddy.    But it is nice to see you don't feel either way.   Then you won't feel anything about your woosh that wasn't .....

LOL, not much of comment...But the woosh really was. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.2.9  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @9.2.8    5 years ago
But the woosh really was. 

Sure it was .....

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
9.2.10  Willjay9  replied to  Sparty On @9.2    5 years ago

Well....if you believe Trump and his adminstration....they're doing that now!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.2.11  Sparty On  replied to  Willjay9 @9.2.10    5 years ago

Welll ..... nope ..... not even close.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
9.2.12  KDMichigan  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.2.6    5 years ago
The Great Lakes only separate a small part of Canada from the US. I crossed the US-Canadian border in Montana and from Alaska. I understand you can also cross it into Washington State.

Well if you are going to jump in with your vast knowledge [deleted]

Kavika commented about a wall between Michigan and Canada. The problem with that is Canada and Michigan are separated by water.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
9.3  Sunshine  replied to  Kavika @9    5 years ago
Until these guys breached it in 1215

We are going to need a bigger wall!  jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

I haven't seen too many illegals with swords and horses.  

When we do we can use our military...think swords and horses will defeat our military? jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.3.1  Kavika   replied to  Sunshine @9.3    5 years ago
We are going to need a bigger wall!

Bigger than the Great Wall of China....WOW better at least triple that $5 billion down payment. 

I haven't seen too many illegals with swords and horses.

Here's one...Oh wait, just a friend of Trumps going for a ride..jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

putin-on-a-horse.jpg?w=650&h=488

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.3.2  Dulay  replied to  Sunshine @9.3    5 years ago

Then we're going to need over 17 centuries and millions of slaves...

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
9.3.3  Sunshine  replied to  Dulay @9.3.2    5 years ago

A bigger wall than what is proposed...nothing to do with slaves and centuries.

Good grief...talk about "swoosh".

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.3.4  Dulay  replied to  Sunshine @9.3.3    5 years ago
A bigger wall than what is proposed

As of 7/18, CBP STILL hadn't figured out WTF they wanted. So what has been proposed EXACTLY? 

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.3.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @9.3.1    5 years ago
Here's one...Oh wait, just a friend of Trumps going for a ride..

He's more than just a friend-- he's Trump's boss!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10  Sparty On    5 years ago

This is the type of quality reporting we've come to expect from todays mass media.   Dumb-asses can't even tell the difference between a "saw" cut and a "torch" cut.   You'd have to be special kind of stupid to fall for this type of propaganda.

The steel of that fence  was clearly cut with some sort a cutting torch and not a saw.   And i'm sure you're average immigrant is humping one of those along to breach any wall they come across .... NOT!

This is just more left wing nonsense from a clearly left wing media.   Food from the hive for the drones .....

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
10.1  Colour Me Free  replied to  Sparty On @10    5 years ago
The steel of that fence  was clearly cut with some sort a cutting torch and not a saw. 

Thank you Sparty On …. I just posted below, after seeing the cuts made in a bigger picture the slag that was present - I should have looked more closely to start with....

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Colour Me Free @10.1    5 years ago

No worries, i've done the same thing when crafting a reply.

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
10.1.2  Colour Me Free  replied to  Sparty On @10.1.1    5 years ago

It takes me forever to draft a reply .. half the time I end up walking away - then return to change a few things before posting .. can take up to 20 minutes just for a one liner  : )

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
11  Colour Me Free    5 years ago

I was just out wandering around the interweb … and found this article, with a close up pic of the 'hole in the wall' being said to be a saw cut … sorry to disappoint, but that steel pictured was not cut by a saw.. on the side closest to 'our' view there is slag left behind with jagged edges, only produced via heat from a oxyacetylene, arc cutting or plasm torch (as examples of heat sources to cut steel) .. there was no such saw with a torch attached when I was still working with structural steel.... perhaps the 'expert' Marines have them?  I sincerely do not know what the military has available to them in the line of 'portable industrial tools' … I sent an email to my buddy that is a Naval deep sea welder, perhaps he can enlighten me on the subject..

The steel tubing is also turned so the corners are facing each other .. there goes the jack can bend it theory... Was it 'Myth Busters' that debunked claims?  I would like to see them cut the border fence prototypes, so it can be seen what it actually takes to accomplish .. I am not seeing enough clearance between slats for a saw to cut all the way through from one side.... until after the first section of column is removed.. not an easy task in my opinion...

This article supplies more 'in depth reporting' for what that is worth...   what the media, DHS are selling .. I am not buying, until said time I see said cutting done  

Test of steel prototype for border wall showed it could be sawed through A photo shows that the steel columns were breached with a common industrial tool.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.1  Sparty On  replied to  Colour Me Free @11    5 years ago

There is nothing common about a cutting torch nor do most people have a clue on how to use one.   For that matter there is nothing common about a cutting saw that could cut through that assembly.   You're not finding either in your average Americans garage let alone one in Mexico.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
11.1.1  Colour Me Free  replied to  Sparty On @11.1    5 years ago

Agreed … it would be a feat to accomplish the cutting of the steel columns … I do not think I own a tip big enough to concentrate the heat needed to cut the steel with a heat sink like concrete in the middle... using the plas would only ruin tips from the blow back...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Colour Me Free @11.1.1    5 years ago

You can do it but it's tough to make a clean cut.   I've cut concrete filled steel Bollards before with a simple Oxyacetylene torch.   You basically just blow the steel out of the way and then go at the concrete behind it with a concrete saw or something bigger.   Like a front end loader you've bribed with a six pack.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
11.1.3  Colour Me Free  replied to  Sparty On @11.1.2    5 years ago

I cut bollards out at an old loading dock, basically the same way you are saying - it is amazing what heavy equipment can do : ) .. but if I recall correctly they were like schedule 40 pipe .. 'Shirley' the mechanical tubing used on the border fence is heavier than schedule 40 pipe (?)

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Colour Me Free @11.1.3    5 years ago

Throw a couple sticks of re-rod in the concrete when you're pouring it in the bollard and you can wreck even a loaders day.  

Then its down to a chop saw with a nice diamond blade.

Most immigrants have one of those stashed in their backpacks don't they? 

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
11.1.5  Colour Me Free  replied to  Sparty On @11.1.4    5 years ago
Throw a couple sticks of re-rod in the concrete when you're pouring it in the bollard and you can wreck even a loaders day.

Good point : )

Most immigrants have one of those stashed in their backpacks don't they?

Lol yep .. standard backpack equipment, right next to the torch : )

… I believe my 12" weighs 23 lbs  … I repaired quite a few of those dirty oil and gas soaked aluminum housings when I worked in a 'jobs shop', the saw tends to get dropped .. wonder if that could have anything to do with the weight?

Nice chatting with you Sparty On … do not get the chance to chat with individuals familiar with the art of steel fabricating that often these days  : )

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
11.1.6  Nowhere Man  replied to  Colour Me Free @11.1.5    5 years ago

Yep that what plain steel tube filled with concrete looks like..... Easy to get through if you have the proper equipment.... One better,

Hardened Drill Casing......

The boring machine for the Seattle Tunnel project broke after hitting a single piece of it......

Trust me, they can make it virtually impenetrable with any common tools if they want to...

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.1.7  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Sparty On @11.1    5 years ago

There is nothing common about a cutting torch nor do most people have a clue on how to use one.  

Good point- and the drug cartels don't have anywhere near the amount of money to obtain one--- nor do they have themoney to hire someone who knows how to use it!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  Krishna @11.1.7    5 years ago

Mongol Armies ..... immigrants with heavy power tools  ...... drug cartels?   

The ridiculous rationalizations being used against building a wall just get sillier and sillier

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11.1.9  Split Personality  replied to  Sparty On @11.1.8    5 years ago
immigrants with heavy power tools  ...... drug cartels?  

Not immigrants, the coyotes that specialize in bringing them to the border and sometimes much further, the one's collecting thousands in fees from those immigrants.

Drug cartels go around, under or use the ports of entry, with cars & trucks & rail air and sea.  The land border is immaterial to them.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.1.10  Sparty On  replied to  Split Personality @11.1.9    5 years ago

Okay, we can add "Coyotes" to list of liberal rationalizations that argue against border security measures.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
14  pat wilson    5 years ago

Looks like a good Sawzall would do the job. I imagine the local ferreterias have them.

charger 383
Professor Silent
15  charger 383    5 years ago

with some of the tools discussed here you could break into a bank of out of jail