╌>

Family of federal worker struggling because of the government shutdown begs Trump to meet with them

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  16 comments

Family of federal worker struggling because of the government shutdown begs Trump to meet with them
“He’s a father, you would think he would have some soft spot, somewhere deep down,” she said. “He lacks so much empathy, it seems. I know it won’t change anything, but, I want him to see how it’s hurting us.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A stay-at-home mom whose family is struggling to make ends meet as the government shutdown stretches into one of the longest in U.S. history has a message for President Donald Trump: Come to Walton, Kentucky, and let's talk.

Allie McKinney, 28, is mom to 1-year-old Harper, born at just 26 weeks weighing one pound and unable to breathe without a ventilator. McKinney, a former social worker, quit her job to tend to Harper and burned through their savings during Harper's 302-day stay at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital.

Then came the government shutdown. Harper’s dad, Chris Rachford, is still working nights doing data entry at the IRS facility nearby. But because of the shutdown that began Dec. 22, his paycheck on Monday will likely be zero.

While the family relies on Medicaid to pay for much of Harper’s care, like therapy and medical equipment, it's dad’s income that puts food on the table and covers gas and insurance, McKinney said, and she wouldn’t be able to return to work without special nursing care for Harper.

Now, McKinney wants to sit down one-on-one with Trump to tell him it's unrealistic to tell families like hers to “make adjustments."

Rachford told ABC affiliate WCPO in Cincinnati that he voted for Trump in 2016 but said the shutdown and other recent events have made him regret that decision.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Tony Reardon, head of the National Treasury Employees Union, which represents many IRS and U.S. Customs and Border Protection workers, called Friday an "ominous day" because it's the day the shutdown finally hits home for many Americans.

"Federal employees started this shutdown nervous and anxious about their future," he said. "Today, many of them will be downright terrified about whether they can make their car payment, their mortgage, their daycare bill or their children's tuition bills."

Hundreds of federal workers across the country on Thursday organized demonstrations against the shutdown. Rallies were held in Washington, D.C., Detroit, Dallas, and Ogden, Utah.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Rachford told ABC affiliate WCPO in Cincinnati that he voted for Trump in 2016 but said the shutdown and other recent events have made him regret that decision.

Meanwhile, McKinney said she is hoping Trump will hear her story and be willing to rethink his demands for the border wall if it means keeping the government shutdown any longer.

“He’s a father, you would think he would have some soft spot, somewhere deep down,” she said. “He lacks so much empathy, it seems. I know it won’t change anything, but, I want him to see how it’s hurting us.”

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago

Sadly their story can be repeated many times over...

PJ
Masters Quiet
3.1  PJ  replied to  Kavika @3    5 years ago

But let's not overlook the silver lining here.  They got the President they voted for.   Someone who would fix everything and make america great again.........

Not feeling much sympathy here.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  PJ @3.1    5 years ago

I feel sympathy for baby Harper.  But not much for her father.  He has no excuse for not knowing who he was voting for.

PJ
Masters Quiet
3.1.2  PJ  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.1    5 years ago

Sometimes people do not learn the lesson until it impacts them in a tragic way.  I feel sorry that Harper was born to parents that voted for Donald Trump.  

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.1    5 years ago

At least the child is getting Medicaid. 

I bet the father was against the ACA too yet Medicaid was expanded in the state and seems like it is helping.

I have zero sympathy for her father. trump has been known, in the public eye, for decades.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    5 years ago

Rachford voted for the Trump in 2016.

Okay.  Adult film actresses, Playboy Playmates, pussy grabbing, and hiding 'his financials' meant nothing?  Well.  There it is.  There you have it. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  bbl-1 @4    5 years ago

Okay.  Adult film actresses, Playboy Playmates, pussy grabbing, and hiding 'his financials' meant nothing?  Well.  There it is.  There you have it. 

Unfortunately a lot of people believed his lies. 

But more and mor of them arestarting towake up (look what happenedinthe recent CVongressional elections! :-)

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Krishna @4.1    5 years ago

Am not being snide---but could you possibly be implying that a 'certain portion' of the 2016 Trump voters were in 'some sort of' catatonic state when they somehow found themselves inside a voting booth?

Just wondering.  A clarification would be greatly appreciated.

snorkle

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5  lady in black    5 years ago

Feel sorry for the child, the mother and the father not so much they voted for the orange conman and now that they are feeling the effects of the traitor in chief NOW they finally see the light.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1  Ender  replied to  lady in black @5    5 years ago
NOW they finally see the light

Sometimes I wonder. I would not be surprised if some of them turn right around and would vote for him again.

Even though they are getting screwed.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
6  lady in black    5 years ago

I checked out the mom's fb page, she has the article up and one of her relatives posted this little tid bit on her gofundme page 

49897612_10156636878395169_6067963073195409408_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=760ed307497723e9494946baaf0c1e30&oe=5CD71430

PJ
Masters Quiet
6.1  PJ  replied to  lady in black @6    5 years ago

Yep, that sounds about right.  More cons trying to take advantage of people for their own gain.  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  lady in black @6    5 years ago

Nice detective work!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.3  bbl-1  replied to  lady in black @6    5 years ago

Oh NO!  Another MAGA head exposed?