╌>

TSA Workers Are Now Quitting Because of the Government Shutdown

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  42 comments

TSA Workers Are Now Quitting Because of the Government Shutdown
TSA employees have also been reportedly calling out sick — a trend dubbed the “blue flu,” regarding the color of their uniforms — to find other ways to make cash to better manage their bills

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Some Transportation Security Administration employees are quitting their jobs as the partial government shutdown continues through its third week, leaving more than 800,000 federal employees without a paycheck.

The American Federation of Government Employees, the largest union of federal employees, representing about 44,000 TSA workers, says some TSA employees have resigned, and others are considering quitting after working one of the busiest air travel periods of the year without pay.

“Every day I’m getting calls from my members about their extreme financial hardship and need for a paycheck,” said Hydrick Thomas, the union’s TSA Council president, in a statement. “Some of them have already quit and many are considering quitting the federal workforce because of the shutdown.”

TSA employees have also been reportedly calling out sick — a trend dubbed the “blue flu,” regarding the color of their uniforms — to find other ways to make cash to better mana ge their bills as CNN first reported  Friday.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

The shutdown and loss in TSA officers could “create a massive security risk” for travelers in U.S. airports. Bilello said in a tweet Wednesday that “security standards will not and have not been compromised.”

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Krishna @1    5 years ago
Bilello said in a tweet Wednesday that “security standards will not and have not been compromised.”

O tweets from above are so reassuring....LOL 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ronin2  replied to  Krishna @1    5 years ago

Considering the amount of shit written on this site about the TSA workers- and them either being lazy asses just looking for a paycheck; or assholes enjoying the power they think they gain with a badge- good riddance.

How many times have their been calls for the TSA to be done away with?  How many documented instances of them abusing their power? 

But I know, I know. T Rumppppppppp!!!!!!!

How dare he not capitulate to Democrat House demands. Who does he think he is Obama?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.2  Split Personality  replied to    5 years ago
hey forgot that over eighty percent of air traffic controllers can be fired without a hiccup.

How is that?

Clinton reversed Reagan's ban, allowing almost 800 ATCs to get their jobs back and the rest became eligible again for federal employment.

Replacing PATCO are the National Air Traffic Controllers Association ,   Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization (AFSCME) and Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization (2003)

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

The shutdown has impacted nine federal departments and dozens of agencies and federal programs. Around 420,000 federal employees have been working without a paycheck since the shutdown began, and another 380,000 have been on furlough. If the shutdown continues past Jan. 12, it will become the longest government shutdown in U.S. history.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Krishna @2    5 years ago

It is also creating a ripple effect to vendors that rely on those caught up in the shutdown.  Businesses that rely on tourist money to survive are now in peril as popular tourist attractions are now closed.  Does Trump care.....NO.  He has his resorts, plenty of food (obviously), free rent, free utilities, and free transportation.  Trump University if it was still operating would change the name to SCREW U.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
3  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     5 years ago

I vote we bring back the government and furlough trump instead. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
4  Dean Moriarty    5 years ago

Cool, I can’t wait until they abolish the the TSA. I loved flying before big brother made it a miserable experience. 

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1  Ender  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4    5 years ago

I blame Bush.

Then again, I started flying when armrests had ashtrays.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Ender @4.1    5 years ago

It is OK to blame Bush; but don't leave out all of the Congresses, Obama, and Trump that voted for the Patriot Act; and the new stronger version under Obama.  Bush started it; and Obama, Trump, and Congress under Democrat and Republican control have enhanced and continued it.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4    5 years ago
Cool, I can’t wait until they abolish the the TSA. I loved flying before big brother made it a miserable experience.

What is so miserable about it? I just stand in line for a few mins, empty my pockets and kick off my flip flops, stand in the body scanner and then get my stuff. The longest it has ever taken me was probably in Philly, and that only took about 25 mins. 

It really isn't enough of a an issue for me to bitch about it. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     5 years ago

Air traffic controllers are working without pay...Hey who the fuck cares, they are non essential and lazy useless government employees..../S

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
7  Nowhere Man    5 years ago

Yep Bushy and his damned patriot act! Which Obama not only doubled down on he Triple downed on it.....

And in one of the WORST moves T-rump allows it to continue..... (probably cause if he took steps to end it he would be assassinated, the democrats would love that)

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    5 years ago

Easy problem to fix. Just pony up a little money for border security and problem solved. 

It amazes me that people claim to care about airport security but not border security.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tacos! @8    5 years ago

If you care so much about the wall, send your money in to build it.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.1    5 years ago
send your money in to build it

I do. It's called "taxes."

JBB
Professor Principal
8.1.2  JBB  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.1    5 years ago

GoFundMe is returning all those wall donations to all those schmucks...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tacos! @8.1.1    5 years ago

Thank you.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @8    5 years ago
Easy problem to fix. Just pony up a little money for border security and problem solved. 

Or just sign the bills that have already been passed and boom, government funded.

How about dip shits gets on the phone with Mexico and makes them pay like he said he would? 

It amazes me that people claim to care about airport security but not border security.

If you care about border security then tell dumb ass to get us more drones, more border patrol agents and more security at border crossings. Amazingly most people don't try to get here by wandering through the desert. 

JBB
Professor Principal
8.2.1  JBB  replied to  Thrawn 31 @8.2    5 years ago

How about more money to round up visa jumping Arab sheiks and Russian oligarchs and Asian real estate vultures? Oh yeah, I forgot. Those illegal immigrants buy gazillion dollar condos from Trump and Kushner...

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.2  Tacos!  replied to  Thrawn 31 @8.2    5 years ago
Amazingly most people don't try to get here by wandering through the desert.

Ya know why? Because we built a big honking triple fence at San Diego. Illegal crossings went down 90%. The barrier forces people to the ports of entry.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.3  Tacos!  replied to  JBB @8.2.1    5 years ago
How about more money to round up visa jumping Arab sheiks and Russian oligarchs and Asian real estate vultures?

And what about the fact I can't get my whites as clean as I want? The wall won't fix my laundry either.

I'm in favor of solving lots of problems. It's silly to object to one solution just because it doesn't address all problems.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8.2.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @8.2.2    5 years ago
Ya know why? Because we built a big honking triple fence at San Diego. Illegal crossings went down 90%. The barrier forces people to the ports of entry.

You get that the easy crossings have barriers right? What we are talking about is mountains, rivers, or vast expanses of desert. You know, the kind of shit that is a natural barrier and kills people. I really would be curious to know how many illegal immigrants are crossing through those areas as opposed to airports. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.5  Tacos!  replied to  Thrawn 31 @8.2.4    5 years ago
I really would be curious to know how many illegal immigrants are crossing through those areas as opposed to airports. 

I would, too. I don't think it's possible to know exactly, but I do know the Border Patrol has some idea of where people are crossing and where they would like either more fencing or and improvement on the barrier they have.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
9  Thrawn 31    5 years ago

Oh Trump, you better not fuck up my vacation to NYC.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Thrawn 31 @9    5 years ago

Hey, when are you going to be in NYC? 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
9.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1    5 years ago

May. Going for our anniversary, a good 10 days. I think that is enough to REALLY experience the city!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Thrawn 31 @9.1.1    5 years ago

Don't count on visiting the Statue Of Liberty.  It is closed now.  But go for the food, it is to die for.