╌>

Britain's hunger problem requires a minister dedicated to issue, lawmakers say

Category:  World News

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  8 comments

Britain's hunger problem requires a minister dedicated to issue, lawmakers say
"Instead of seeing hunger as an issue abroad, the government’s New Year resolution should be one of taking urgent action at home."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By   Saphora Smith

LONDON — Britain's government needs a minister to focus on hunger, lawmakers recommended Thursday.

A report by a cross-party committee found that almost one-in-five children under the age of 15 are growing up in a home that has "limited access to food ... due to lack of money or other resources."

The U.K.'s levels of hunger are among the highest in Europe, the 56-page report added.

Britain is the world's fifth-richest country.

The lawmakers — which include members of the ruling Conservatives and opposition parties — said the government had allowed hunger to “fall between the cracks.”

“Instead of seeing hunger as an issue abroad, the government’s New Year resolution should be one of taking urgent action at home to tackle hunger and malnutrition,” said Mary Creagh, an opposition lawmaker who chairs the Environmental Audit Committee.

A combination of high living costs, stagnating wages and the rollout of a new welfare benefits system was causing people to live with hunger, she added.

190110-hunger-minister-mc-9105_15c16f945 Shopping bags are ready to be distributed by charity hub The Bread and Butter Thing in Oldham, Great Britain on Dec. 6, 2018. Susannah Ireland / for NBC News

The committee's report also said the issue is leading to both malnutrition and obesity as people are forced to rely on cheap, calorie-rich foods.

The recommendation follows a damning report on the   rising levels of poverty in Britain   published last year by the United Nations. It found that almost one-in-three children in the U.K. are growing up in poverty.

It also comes as   Britain prepares to leave the European Union on March 29 , which the Bank of England has said   could shrink the economy by as much as 8 percent in about a year .

Food bank use in the U.K. has already increased fourfold since 2012. There are now around 2,000 food banks across the country, compared to just 29 at the height of the financial crisis.

There is also concern among analysts that the   country could face food shortages   within weeks if Britain leaves the 28-country bloc without a trade deal.

Brexit means the U.K. will also lose billions in E.U. funding, which has greatly benefited the country's most deprived areas.

190110-hunger-minister-mc-910_40fd44f6da
Free bread for the needy is offered outside If, a community social enterprise company operating in Oldham, England.   Susannah Ireland / for NBC News

The committee's report recommends that a "minister for hunger" is appointed to analyze the scale, causes and impacts of households living with limited access to food — including malnutrition and obesity.

It also highlights that there is no national government measure for hunger, but think tanks and charities estimate that somewhere in the region of two to three million people are undernourished. The U.K.'s population is about 66 million.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

It is amazing that England has come to this. Talk about mismanagement. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    5 years ago

The UK and the US are more alike than some care to acknowledge.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4  Split Personality    5 years ago

I'm not sure who Saphora Smith is

But couldn't she find a picture of any skinny people waiting to get into the food bank?

jest sayin'.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
5  Enoch    5 years ago

I read that around 40% of the U.S. population lacks access to adequate nutrition. 

SNAP is presently not being run, as there are no employees to work there due to the shutdown.

The usual cast of people are adversely affected.

The poor, infirm, elderly, young, homeless etc. 

Here and in the U.K. what are our real priorities?

How can we extend the affluence we have to those in need in a sustainable way?

Can we not agree there is dignity via self sufficiency?

If we do, let's join hands and make it happen.

Peace and Abundant Blessings (Including Freedom From Preventable Privation) for One and All.

Enoch.

zuksam
Junior Silent
8  zuksam    5 years ago

This is a very complex issue because there are so many different reasons why it happens. Sometimes it's lack of money but more often it's poor shopping habits. Some folks don't have access to good stores so they pay more at small shops and some refuse to buy store brands or non-organic when they're really not financially able to be picky. I'm lucky I have 7 different large grocery stores within 5 miles of my house and I have a good car so I can shop the sale items and stock up and I'm not stupid I don't buy things like Domino Sugar that cost double what the store brand costs (it's sugar people there is no difference).