╌>

Trump’s bogus justifications for the border wall

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  don-overton  •  5 years ago  •  35 comments

Trump’s bogus justifications for the border wall
Forcing local police to apprehend undocumented migrants doesn’t reduce crime either.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Trump’s speech this week did not change the fact that a border wall won’t make the United States safer or more prosperous. Despite the president’s spin and pretend newly-found humanitarianism, a wall—whether a steel barrier or concrete—remains a waste of money. No matter how tall, deep, or thick a barrier, illicit flows will find a way around. Instead, the wall would undermine the rights of Native Americans and critically damage U.S. biodiversity

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1  Thrawn 31    5 years ago

His justification comes down to "My base can't see what a pussy I really am". That's it.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    5 years ago

For decades, Democrats have acknowledged illegal immigration and the damage it causes. Many of them voted to put a physical barrier on the border to help with the problem. No one has ever said such a structure would be 100% effective or solve all illegal immigration issues. Even Democrats a dozen years ago and more expressed disappointment that they couldn't make the barrier even longer. 

Now suddenly because Trump made it the central issue of his campaign, suddenly throwing up a big wall or fence at the border is immoral, ineffective, and harmful. What a giant load of crap.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @2    5 years ago
No one has ever said such a structure would be 100% effective or solve all illegal immigration issues.

Trump has implied that repeatedly. 

Now suddenly because Trump made it the central issue of his campaign, suddenly throwing up a big wall or fence at the border is immoral, ineffective, and harmful. What a giant load of crap.

It has been a load of crap and everyone knows it. Hence why the GOP didn't fund this shit when they had full control of government. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1    5 years ago
Trump has implied that repeatedly. 

Link? Quote? And how is implying something the same as claiming it?

the GOP didn't fund this shit when they had full control of government

As long as the filibuster exists, no party has "full control of government" but you knew that. But I do agree that they could have and should have done more.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.1    5 years ago
“If we had a barrier of any kind, whether it’s steel or concrete,” Mr. Trump said of tragic stories involving violence and human trafficking, “they wouldn’t even bother trying. We could stop that cold.”

And that was from this last week, you can look the rest up yourself.

And how is implying something the same as claiming it?

They aren't the same, but they are related. If I imply that I am going to do something, and then don't, people will still hold a negative opinion and rightfully so. 

As long as the filibuster exists, no party has "full control of government" but you knew that. But I do agree that they could have and should have done more.

If they can get that tax cut through, the can get $5 billion for some bullshit wall. That is a weak ass counter. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.2    5 years ago

It's hard to believe a serious, educated person could take that to mean that Trump was saying a wall by itself would solve the problem of illegal immigration, all on its own. He has repeatedly said that the wall is part of a system that includes technology and manpower.

Way back on June 25, 2015 , only a couple of months after he first announced he was running for president, Trump did an interview with Erin Burnett of CNN and said this:

Plus, you don't need a wall for the entire piece because we have wonderful people, border patrol people, that can do the job. But you do need walls in certain sections, without question.

So if you insist that Trump believes or has been saying that a wall on its own will solve all our immigration problems, you're lying or uninformed.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.3    5 years ago

Damn didn't load my comment, but I am too lazy to redo it. The gist is that you are wrong on multiple counts and that Trump is a serial lair and completely untrustworthy. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Ender  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.4    5 years ago
Damn didn't load my comment, but I am too lazy to redo it

I have done that happen before. Write a long or detailed comment and hit a wrong button or something and...poof.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.6  Tacos!  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.4    5 years ago

The site can frustrate sometimes, but the lazy part is you don't even acknowledge that Trump has said things that contradict your bias about him.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
2.1.7  Enoch  replied to  Ender @2.1.5    5 years ago

Dear Friend Ender: Much like an insurance company, with this site sometimes you think you are in good hands.

All you get is one finger.

E.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  Enoch @2.1.7    5 years ago

And it's always the middle one

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
2.2  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  Tacos! @2    5 years ago

Let's see where you got your facts, I dare say I doubt you can come up with them

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  Don Overton @2.2    5 years ago

I do provide a lot of links in my comments, but not for 100% of the stuff I write (I'm a mere mortal after all). If you specify which facts are of concern for you, I can try to oblige.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

And so we hear from another self proclaimed expert on the border who probably lives nowhere near it and probably never has been within 50 miles of it telling us he knows all about what those of us who live here don't know already. It is so pathetic and funny I am laughing my tail off as I read it!jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
4.1  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4    5 years ago

I doubt you have any more knowledge than anyone that lives in border areas, you just seem to squeak louder

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Don Overton @4.1    5 years ago

Cannot stand it when someone conradicts your narrative can you? jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1.1    5 years ago

Hey, some are pretty good at yelling "FALSE", though.

Not too good on links, though.

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.3  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1.1    5 years ago

When you have  something factual let me know.

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.4  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  Don Overton @4.1.3    5 years ago

You just uttered the right wing manifesto 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Don Overton @4.1.3    5 years ago
When you have something factual let me know.

Why? So you can recognize it once someone points it out to you?

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.6  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.5    5 years ago

Nol so I can show you how wrong you usually are

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Don Overton @4.1.6    5 years ago

LMFAO!!!

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Don Overton @4.1.3    5 years ago

I and others frequently do. You just refute anything from anyone that does not match your left leaning worldview. If you see anything as right leaning, you automatically discount it as wrong and unacceptable...

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.9  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1.8    5 years ago

So much bullshit so little time, do you need a shovel to keep piling it up

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5  Thrawn 31    5 years ago
It's hard to believe a serious, educated person could take that to mean that Trump was saying a wall by itself would solve the problem of illegal immigration, all on its own. He has repeatedly said that the wall is part of a system that includes technology and manpower.

And he has said repeatedly that a wall is the ultimate solution. I am educated but I also know that Trump is a fucking idiot, and he changes his mind on a daily basis thus it is impossible to know what he really means at any given time. And at this point, he doesn't seem to interested in the technology portion, so I have to assume that he is talking about a wall solving everything.

Plus, you don't need a wall for the entire piece because we have wonderful people, border patrol people, that can do the job. But you do need walls in certain sections, without question.

And yet now all of a sudden we need a wall across the border. Could it be, and I know this is crazy, that he was full of shit then and is full of shit now? Could it possibly be that he is just saying what he thinks people want to hear and what he thinks is best for him? That he is all about himself and that a wall or no wall, fuck it, as long as it works for him in some way is good enough? 

So if you insist that Trump believes or has been saying that a wall on its own will solve all our immigration problems, you're lying or uninformed.

I honestly cannot say what he believes. He contradicts himself on a constant basis. Not even his own staff knows where he stands on a particular issue. I do know that he is a fucking moron, that is not in doubt, his IQ is that of a goddamn watermelon, but I cannot know what goes through the mind of a retard. All I can say is that his entire life suggests that he cares only for himself, and fuck everyone else.