╌>

Woman Turns The 110-Year-Old Tree Stump In Her Yard Into A Magical Miniature Free Library

Category:  Readers, etc.

Via:  jasper2529  •  5 years ago  •  34 comments

Woman Turns The 110-Year-Old Tree Stump In Her Yard Into A Magical Miniature Free Library
“Little Library book exchanges function on the honor system; everyone contributes to ensure there are always quality books inside,” the website explains. “This way, we all win!”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

In 2019, many book lovers are more likely to grab their Kindles and head to a chic café than visit their local library. That means nonprofit organizations like   Little Free Library , which work to build and rejuvenate libraries worldwide, have to get creative.

Thus, the “Little Tree Library”: an enchanting library carved out of a 110-year-old cottonwood tree.

Sharalee Armitage Howard created the Little Tree Library in her own front yard. As a librarian herself, she understands the importance of a cozy, beautiful reading environment.

“We had to remove a huge tree that was 110 years old, so I decided to turn it into a library (which I’ve always wanted),” Sharalee wrote on   Facebook .

She added a roof to the tree stump, carved out the inside, and added a door and lighting. Inside, there are shelves full of books available to borrow for free.

Sharalee Armitage Howard is a librarian, artist, and former bookbinder.

In December, Sharalee   shared   one of her most impressive projects yet: She created a library out of a huge tree stump in her front yard.

The stump came from a 110-year-old cottonwood tree, which had to be removed from the property because it was rotting and becoming dangerous.

Rather than just raze it completely, Sharalee turned it into something much, much better.

The  Little Free Library project  encourages people to build similar miniature libraries like this all around the world. Over 75,000 libraries in 88 countries have been created so far.

The libraries are essentially free book exchanges. Anyone can take out books from the shelves, and anyone can donate books. You don’t have to return the exact book that you take, either.

If you happen to live in the Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, area, you might discover the tree library in person. If not, you can check to see which Little Free Libraries are located in your  own neighborhood .

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago
One Facebook user pointed out how the tree itself looks like it’s part of a storybook. The beauty of it will undoubtedly encourage passersby to read.

And best of all, Sharalee isn’t quite done with it yet.

Come spring, she plans to “plant groundcover and cheerful perennials around it, touch up the paint, and fine-tune the trimwork.”

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1  pat wilson  replied to  Jasper2529 @1    5 years ago

Nice article ! I have one in my town and I've taken books and left books.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  pat wilson @1.1    5 years ago

Very cool, Pat. Thanks for stopping by to comment.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
1.1.2  Enoch  replied to  pat wilson @1.1    5 years ago

Dear Friend Pat Wilson: Libraries are thought warehouses.

E.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Jasper2529 @1    5 years ago

We have several of these little libraries in my neighborhood and I've borrowed a few books from them.  This reminds me of the small stack of books that I have to donate.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2    5 years ago

I have dozens of books to donate but no place will take them ... not even the public libraries in my area. I've held onto them, because I can't throw them out.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  Sunshine  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.2.1    5 years ago

If there is a retirement community/building in your area, they may take them.  

Where my mother lives they take donated books for their library.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
1.2.3  bccrane  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.2.1    5 years ago

Have you thought about the local jail or a prison in your area?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.2.4  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Sunshine @1.2.2    5 years ago

That's a great idea, Sunshine. Thanks!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.2.5  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  bccrane @1.2.3    5 years ago

Another great idea. Thanks, bccrane!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago
They also speak to the power of libraries, which facilitate learning at absolutely no cost to citizens. In a world where Amazon Prime rules the literary scene and libraries are often underfunded, these seemingly small projects matter.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3  Freefaller    5 years ago

Very cool

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Freefaller @3    5 years ago

Thanks for stopping in to read and comment!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Great little find. I love stories like this. I wonder if these towns have no libraries? 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4    5 years ago
Great little find. I love stories like this.

Thanks, Perrie. So do I. I keep meaning to make a group here for sharing positive, non-political stories, but I've never gotten around to it.

I wonder if these towns have no libraries? 

I don't know. Each of the small towns in my area has its own public library, but I'm not in a remote area of the country. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.1    5 years ago

What a WONDERFUL idea Sharalee had, and the ability to create it.  It should make others think of what great contributions they can do to make their communities a pleasant and happy place to live.

Thanks for posting this very uplifting article - it makes one have more faith in people's good intentions and creativity.

If books happen to be something important to you, you can join the Books group here.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.1    5 years ago

I'm glad you enjoyed the article!

I've always been an avid reader, so thank you for inviting me to join the Books group. I'm someone who enjoys physically holding a book  and not use an electronic device.  

bccrane
Freshman Silent
6  bccrane    5 years ago

Great idea, BUT she is giving public access to her private property, I see steps without handrails, no snow removal or melting aids, and no handicapped ramp.  The first slip and fall or access lawsuit and that stump is gone.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  bccrane @6    5 years ago

I understand your point, but maybe in Ms. Howard's area, people aren't as litigious as in other parts of the country. Also, on Dec. 18, 2018 she posted on her facebook page that she's not finished with the project, so maybe she'll be adding the things you listed.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
6.1.1  bccrane  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1    5 years ago

I have gone through so many lawsuits, as a defendant, that I tend to look for what could become a possible problem when you deal  with other peoples actions foreseen as well as unforeseen.  If she wishes to continue with this project she needs to consult with her home owners insurance provider and/or turn the library into a corp. or LLC in which the only assets are whats in the stump and the stump rents the property on which it sits and have a lawyer look it over to be sure that the shell of the corporation can't be breached and the personal property becomes part of the lawsuit.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
6.2  Sunshine  replied to  bccrane @6    5 years ago
The first slip and fall or access lawsuit and that stump is gone.

What is the difference than giving the UPS person access?

bccrane
Freshman Silent
6.2.1  bccrane  replied to  Sunshine @6.2    5 years ago

UPS has insurance and workman's comp. to cover injuries.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
6.2.2  Sunshine  replied to  bccrane @6.2.1    5 years ago

oh, gotchya

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
7  Sunshine    5 years ago

I have a neighbor a few houses down that does this also.  She built a little open house, but it only holds about 20 books.  First time I had seen anything like it and also thought what a great idea.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
8  Enoch    5 years ago

Dear Friend Jasper: Great fell good seed.

Please keep them coming.

We are indebted.

If that tree library branches out, keep us in the loop.

OK, I will stop punning and leaf now.

No point running on like a sap.

Enoch.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Enoch @8    5 years ago

Dear Friend Enoch ...

Thank yew for punning a shred of humor. I mulch appreciate it!

Enoch
Masters Quiet
8.1.1  Enoch  replied to  Jasper2529 @8.1    5 years ago

Dear Friend Jasper: You got the the root of my intent.

Please keep on trunkin.

Enoch, Being Unseasonable Shady.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
10  Raven Wing    5 years ago

These types of local neighborhood libraries are very important for those who do not have the ability to travel far to reach a public library. I have donated many books to those in the neighborhoods where I have lived over the years. I have donated books on many different subjects, and also borrowed some to read.

Such libraries are also a good place for those who are less educated to broaden their knowledge in order to improve their education and perhaps find a better job.

It is always a good idea to support these types of libraries, as they can make a difference in some people's lives, even if it is only to read an inspiring book.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
10.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Raven Wing @10    5 years ago

Very thoughtful comment, Raven Wing. Thank you!