╌>

Trump’s Use of Wounded Knee to Mock Elizabeth Warren Angers Native Americans

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  21 comments

Trump’s Use of Wounded Knee to Mock Elizabeth Warren Angers Native Americans
The Wounded Knee massacre was one of the deadliest attacks on Native Americans by the United States military. It’s estimated that hundreds of Sioux men, women and children were killed by soldiers.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Mr. Trump, who has repeatedly referred to Ms. Warren as “Pocahontas,” did so again on Twitter on Sunday, then took it a step further, writing that if Ms. Warren “did this commercial from Bighorn or Wounded Knee instead of her kitchen, with her husband dressed in full Indian garb, it would have been a smash!”

“+300 of my people were massacred at Wounded Knee,” the writer and tribal lawyer Ruth H. Hopkins, who is Sioux,  said on Twitter . “Most were women and children. This isn’t funny, it’s cold, callous, and just plain racist.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Mr. Trump, who has repeatedly referred to Ms. Warren as “Pocahontas,” did so again on Twitter on Sunday, then took it a step further, writing that if Ms. Warren “did this commercial from Bighorn or Wounded Knee instead of her kitchen, with her husband dressed in full Indian garb, it would have been a smash!”

Trump is a really nasty racist bigot. :-(

(But you already knew that!)

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

“It happened in 1890; it’s not so far removed. Those killed are peoples’ grandparents and great-grandparents,” she said. “It’s further compounded by the fact that the soldiers who murdered Lakota at Wounded Knee received medals of honor for it and those medals have never been rescinded.”

“As a Native, Trump’s tweet was equivalent to making a ‘joke’ about 9/11, Pearl Harbor or the Holocaust,” she said. “I found it awful that not only did Trump use this tragedy as a joke, weapon and insult, but that his ignorance of American history is so great that he didn’t even know that Wounded Knee was a massacre and not a battle.”

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     5 years ago

My Grandfather was born between 1875 and 1878 and was living in ND at the time of the massacre at Wounded Knee.  I well remember him telling me of it. 

To make comments about the slaughter of American Indians is despicable, but not unexpected coming from Trump.

shona1
PhD Quiet
4.1  shona1  replied to  Kavika @4    5 years ago

Morning Kavika....Sorry but your President really does need "help"...the crap he says and writes is rather stunning at times....History for all its rights and wrongs, is the past..It can't be changed as much as we wish we could...You just hope when we do look back, that these things are never repeated..But unfortunately us humans are slow learners at times....For anyone to slag off about any tragedy past or present of any magnitude is just plain despicable...But you would hope the leaders of a Nation are half decent, respectable and do their best by their country..Yes at times they stuff up and that is to be expected and everyone has a sook about the Governement...But in Trumps case words fail us....

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @4    5 years ago
To make comments about the slaughter of American Indians is despicable, but not unexpected coming from Trump.

The banana republic, enemy of the state nick naming conventions are bad enough. This qualifies as piece of shit.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
4.3  Enoch  replied to  Kavika @4    5 years ago

Dear Brother Kavika: As French philosopher Voltaire said, " Prejudice is the reason of fools". 

Pulling on a scab to make it ooze for the distraction value of what one doesn't want observed is lower than low.

It continues to re-victimize the innocent.

E.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5  lady in black    5 years ago

Trump acts like a mean high school girl, he is a disgrace to the office of the president.  How anyone can support this piece of trash is beyond my comprehension.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1  Ender  replied to  lady in black @5    5 years ago

I have come to the conclusion that a lot of his supporters are just like him.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  lady in black @5    5 years ago

Trump acts like a mean high school girl, he is a disgrace to the office of the president.  How anyone can support this piece of trash is beyond my comprehension.

Here's a quote from Albert Einstein they may explain it:

I know of two things that are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity. And I'm not entirely sure of the former . . .

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     5 years ago

A photo taken in January of 1891 of an trench in which 148 Sioux, the majority being women and children, were buried. There were other so called graves as well.

massacre_wounded-knee.jpg

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @6    5 years ago

Trump confirms that the same political attitudes towards native Americans prevail to this day among his supporters.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
7  Rmando    5 years ago

[deleted]

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Rmando @7    5 years ago

The Tribal Elders made the proper decision on EW.

If I understand correctly this article is about a very poor character trait of Trump. IMO, it is not very good.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Rmando @7    5 years ago

Elizabeth Warren brings all these comments on herself. Instead of another daily display of TDS the left could just criticize Warren for her ill advised DNA test that just made her claims all that more ridiculous. This is that same woman who provided a recipe for lobster bisque in a book called "Pow Wow Chow"- no kidding.

You totally missed the point of this article!

(Either that, or the events described mean nothing to you...?)

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
7.2.1  Rmando  replied to  Krishna @7.2    5 years ago

Actually if you read Trumps words in context he was talking about a place, not an event. Wounded Knee is a city in Montana: 

I don't blame Trump anymore for a 119 year old massacre anymore than I blame Joe Biden or Hillary Clinton for the abuses of the British Empire by saying things like Gandhi working in a convience store or having to speak with a "slight Indian accent".

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.2.3  Kavika   replied to  Rmando @7.2.1    5 years ago

First off you should read your own link...Wounded Knee is on the Pine Ridge reservation in SD...There is no town of Wounded Knee in Montana.

So that lame excuse for trying to cover for Trumps idiotic remark doesn't fly. 

No one is blaming him for the massacre, it's his total lack of history, and using the massacre of men, women and children as a talking point to attack a political opponent. 

BTW the place and the event are one and the same. 

Even the senators of SD, John Thune and Mike Rounds, both republicans, called Trump out on his stupid comment and invited him to SD to learn some history.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.2.4  bbl-1  replied to  Kavika @7.2.3    5 years ago

Whatever.  Except Rounds and Thune both voted to allow 'the Russian oligarch's' sanctions to be dismissed.    

JBB
Professor Principal
8  JBB    5 years ago

What a crude and vulgar man. In case you wondered, that is not a question...

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
9  bbl-1    5 years ago

Without the 'attack mode' and the Trump base---the Trump is a small, weak, inconsequential...…………….excuse.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
10  Hal A. Lujah    5 years ago

It is literally all Trump has to attack Elizabeth Warren over, and it is arguably a gigantic nothingburger to begin with.  That’s a good thing for Warren - the more he brings it up, the more obvious it is that she is spotless on any other front and impossible for him to defend himself against.  Get ready for more intensive Pokahontas monotony, since there’s nothing else to criticize about Warren.  The only people this garbage appeals to are his mouthbreathing base of deplorables.