╌>

Shutdown may upend State of the Union speech

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  1stwarrior  •  5 years ago  •  95 comments

Shutdown may upend State of the Union speech

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON (AP) — The partial government shutdown threw a prime Washington ritual into question Wednesday as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi asked President Donald Trump to forgo his Jan. 29 State of the Union speech, expressing doubts that the hobbled government can provide adequate security. Republicans saw her move as a ploy to deny Trump the stage.

In a letter to Trump, Pelosi said that with both the Secret Service and the Homeland Security Department entangled in the shutdown, the president should speak to Congress another time or he should deliver the address in writing. Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen denied anyone’s safety is compromised, saying both agencies “are fully prepared to support and secure the State of the Union.”

Inviting the president to give the speech is usually pro forma, and Pelosi issued the invitation in routine fashion, in consultation with the White House, several weeks ago. But with the shutdown in its fourth week, the White House and Democrats in a stalemate and the impasse draining the finances of hundreds of thousands of federal employees, little routine is left in the capital.

Pelosi left unclear what would happen if Trump insisted on coming despite the welcome mat being pulled away. It takes a joint resolution of the House and Congress to extend the official invitation and set the stage.

“We’ll have to have a security evaluation, but that would mean diverting resources,” she told reporters when asked how she would respond if Trump still intended to come. “I don’t know how that could happen.”

She added: “This is a continuation of government issue that we have the proper security for such an event.” She was referring to an occasion that brings all three branches of government together in the same room — the president, members of Congress and the Supreme Court justices who attend.

To Republican Sen. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, the matter was less about security than about Pelosi feeling she has the upper hand in the budget standoff.

“She’s talking about canceling the State of the Union — this is not somebody who’s feeling any pressure,” Johnson said. “I think Republicans are getting the lion’s share of the pressure.”

Rep. Andy Biggs, R-Ariz., said he hopes Trump will proceed with his speech. Pelosi is “censoring this vital message for transparent political purposes,” he said.

The White House hosted a bipartisan group of lawmakers, followed by a group of Republican senators, on the 26th day of the shutdown, with no sign of breaking through the impasse over Trump’s demands for $5.7 billion to build a wall along the Mexican border. Democratic leaders are refusing to bargain over a border wall they oppose as long as the government remains partially closed.

On Wednesday, Trump signed legislation into law affirming that the roughly 800,000 federal workers who have been going without pay will ultimately be compensated for their lost wages. That was the practice in the past.

Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and Democratic Sen. Chris Coons of Delaware are leading a renewed effort to persuade Trump to let the government reopen for three weeks in return for a commitment from lawmakers to try to address his concerns about border security in that period. They are seeking signatures on a letter spelling out the plan.

Trump rejected that approach earlier and the initiative was having trouble getting many Republicans on board.

“Does that help the president or does that hurt the president?” asked Sen. Mike Rounds, R-S.D., among those who went to the White House. He has not signed the letter. “If the president saw it as a way to be conciliatory, if he thought it would help, then perhaps it’s a good idea,” he said. “If it’s just seen as a weakening of his position, then he probably wouldn’t do it.”

While Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, said she has signed, others said GOP support was lacking. “They’re a little short on the R side,” said Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., another leader of the effort.

Other lawmakers are floating additional plans, but Graham was skeptical any would break through.

“I am running out of ideas,” he said.

“The Democrats are not going to negotiate with the government shut down,” he said. “People in the White House don’t like hearing that. I don’t know what to tell them other than what I actually think.”

Even as administration officials projected confidence in their course, Kevin Hassett, chairman of the White House Council of Economic Advisers, said Tuesday the shutdown is slowing growth more than predicted.

An economic shift could rattle Trump, who has tied his political fortunes to the stock market and repeatedly stressed economic gains as evidence that his tax-cut package and deregulation efforts are succeeding. Economic optimism had already cooled somewhat as Trump’s trade fight with China shook the markets.

Hassett told reporters the White House is doubling its estimate of the strain on the economy of the shutdown, and now calculates that it is slowing growth by about 0.1 percentage points a week.

With the shutdown in its fourth week, that suggests the economy has lost nearly a half-percentage point of growth so far, though some of that occurred at the end of last year and some in the first quarter of this year. Hassett said the economy should get a boost when the government re-opens.

Previous White House estimates of the impact did not fully take into account the effect on people who work for private companies that contract with the government to provide services, Hassett said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1  seeder  1stwarrior    5 years ago

Butt - butt - butt - butt Nancy - the U. S. Constitution states that the President "WILL" host an annual State of the Union address - "He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient;"

NOWHERE in the Constitution does it state that he will be "invited" to give a speech by either the House nor the Senate.  In fact, in the Constitution, he can shut your ass down if he so pleases - "in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper;"

Methinks she has had too much Sherry or Port.

And, comparing her to the Mad Queen that Alice had to face is giving the Mad Queen too much credit.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  1stwarrior @1    5 years ago
"He shallfrom time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient;"

Time to time seems rather vague and open ended, does it not?

Trump eschews tradition.  Let him break this one and give the State of the Union whenever it's more to everyone's agreement, and he will still be honoring the Constitution.

Then when the shutdown is over, he can take credit for whatever the outcome is.

We all know he will.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Split Personality @1.1    5 years ago

Given Nancy's and the Dems in Congress demeanor, that time would be never.  Wonder how loudly the left would have howled had Obama been shown the same disrespect during his shutdown?

As for taking credit- don't sell the Dems short. No matter what the outcome Pelosi and Schumer will take credit for it; and blame Trump.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @1.1    5 years ago
Time to time seems rather vague and open ended, does it not?
Trump eschews tradition. Let him break this one and give the State of the Union whenever it's more to everyone's agreement, and he will still be honoring the Constitution.
Then when the shutdown is over, he can take credit for whatever the outcome is.

I think Trump should just go ahead and give his SOTU speech from the Oval Office and then send a copy of the transcript to Nancy.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
1.1.3  Cerenkov  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.2    5 years ago

I concur. It won't dilute his message and it will highlight nancy's pettiness.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Cerenkov @1.1.3    5 years ago
I concur. It won't dilute his message and it will highlight nancy's pettiness.

It could well be the most-watched SOTU ever.

And if Democrats want "equal time" from the networks, I would hope those networks would say "Gladly. When will Congress and the rest of government be open so we can come to you?"

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.1.5  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Split Personality @1.1    5 years ago

OOOhhhhh - so he should WAIT until the shutdown is over to give the SOTU?????

Just what they want.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
1.1.6  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.4    5 years ago
It could well be the most-watched SOTU ever.

Could be train wrecks are extremely popular viewing events. This will be no exception. 

Except for maybe people like myself who wont bother watching someone that we dont believe a word that comes out of their mouth. 

I watch what this man does I dont believe what he says. I know tomorrow he'll say something different anyway till he finds what gets him his way.  

and O the trump numbers... LOL What a fiasco can they be exaggerated any more and still be written down even ? lol 

No I will not be watching "the Show".  I have a life. And I know I wont be watching "the play by play party" after the show telling me what the president said after he just said something different from either crappy political news outlet from either side either. 

Lifes too short. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.8  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.2    5 years ago

That, apparently is perfectly within the Constitution, and would be acceptable to everyone.

Sophomore Guide
1.1.9  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.2    5 years ago

Congress may appreciate that as well. Then they have a choice of whether to tune in or out.  Like the rest of us do. I know I'd appreciate it if I were them and trump was giving an address. I could always watch one of his rallies. I doubt there's much difference. And tomorrow what he says may easily change from what he says today anyway, So why waste your time ?  I've learned to just to watch what this man does not to pay much attention to what he says. He says whatever he believes will get him his way anyhow. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.10  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.4    5 years ago

Only if Sean Spicer can sell it as the .........

Oh wait.

What?

Never mind.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.1.11  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.10    5 years ago

Now, THAT's funny jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

charger 383
Professor Silent
1.1.12  charger 383  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.2    5 years ago

No need to parade everybody into the Capital and a designated survivor does not need to be sent into hiding at some secret location.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  1stwarrior @1    5 years ago
Butt - butt - butt - butt Nancy - the U. S. Constitution states that the President "WILL" host an annual State of the Union address - "He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient;"

Sorry first, he can give the state of the union through an email if he likes, there is no mandate for a speech at the House of Representatives. The SOTU can be in writing and it would be perfectly acceptable.

Nancy Pelosi usually knows what she is talking about, maybe not always, but usually, and much more than trump does.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
1.3.1  Cerenkov  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3    5 years ago

Lol. Does she still think natural gas is renewable? 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.3.2  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3    5 years ago

John - this is not for Chicago logic - Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and the other President's didn't use e-mails, smoke signals, messenger services.  They were leaders, something Trump is trying to do, and leaders go to their people on a face-to-face basis.  Congress is not run by Pelosi as much as she thinks it does.  Congress is run by the people who elected them - and Pelosi ain't all of them.

Sophomore Guide
1.3.3  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  1stwarrior @1.3.2    5 years ago
Congress is not run by Pelosi as much as she thinks it does.  Congress is run by the people who elected them

I'd say the same thing is true for trump. He really isn't the Boss, we are. Perhaps someone should let him in on that. They could inform him on twitter. That I think he reads. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.3.4  Split Personality  replied to  Cerenkov @1.3.1    5 years ago

Well, that's off topic.  ( forgive the innate pun, please)

Ever hear of landfill gas?

Yes apparently it is renewable, ( and unacceptable to refer to landfill gas as natural gas, even though it occurs, "naturally") 

At least when humans are still filling landfills with biodegradable materials.

Landfill gas is at least 50% methane and collectible after a few years.

"Natural gas" is considered only to be associated with fossil fuels when it is at least 80% methane and associated with an oil drilling rig.

So , I think you have your Pelosi slurs mixed up, she alluded to the fact that not all natural gas is fossil fuel.

Butt many that believe it is, may be fossil fools.

Present company excluded, of course.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.5  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3    5 years ago
Nancy Pelosi usually knows what she is talking about

Pelosi is just a political hack elected by a small minority of America.   Nothing "smart" about her in a real sense.   This latest ploy of hers is ultimately going to blow up spectacularly in her face.   Unfortunately, in the meantime, good Americans are going to suffer for her brand of political extortion.

So yeah, this shutdown is all Trumps fault ....... yeah right! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
3  Nowhere Man    5 years ago

Seems to me Pelosi is taking it to a direct challenge of the House against the President.....

And no, all it does is accentuate the position that the DEMOCRATS (who control the house) are refusing to do anything until the president relents....

Essentially the House is trying to force it's will upon the executive branch......

In the past, where this has happened before, the historical outcome has been the executive branch wins. (every single time it has happened)

The point being, congress is not a full time body, the executive branch is.....

Just more acting like the petulant children they have become and revealing exactly what their sole purpose is. Stop anything the president want to do and remove him from office.

In their view that is what they were elected to do.......

If I was a congressional republican leader what I would recommend?

Every Republican that supports the president walk out of session. The House would no longer have a plurality, (and a plurality is required to do any House business) the democrat majority would be rendered moot...... Much the same way the Senate over the last six years of the Obama administration made the House moot.

Turn their tactics around on them. See how they like it.

Democrats, still the party of NO! And they are proclaiming it now for all to see!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    5 years ago

It's kind of a pathetic play. In spite of her apparent intention, it makes Pelosi look bad, not Trump. He can do it or not and it's on her if he doesn't.

He could do it in the Senate or the White House or Nationals Park and invite Congress if they want to come. As long as it's public, they can't complain about him not doing it. But any spectacle he creates for it will far outshine her sad efforts.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.2  Nowhere Man  replied to  Tacos! @4    5 years ago

No matter where he does it now, ANYWHERE other than the House chamber will be viewed as being caused by an obstructionist Pelosi and the democrat agenda wishing to turn the whole government upside down in their opposition to T-rump.....

Kinda puts it all in perspective doesn't it?

And confirms the idea being tossed around that all the democrats have, the only ideal they can come up with is to oust a sitting president.....

The democrats are destroying themselves by revealing their true agenda, they aren't even trying to cover it up now....

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.2.1  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.2    5 years ago

You know what I think would be hilarious????  If all the BIASED news stations allowed Trump to give SOTU over the air for all to see and hear.

'Course we all know the stations have been bought, so that'll never happen.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.2.2  Nowhere Man  replied to  1stwarrior @4.2.1    5 years ago

Very true, but I like to think they wouldn't give him the time cause they are smart.....

Smart enough to know that giving him that time would be giving a kid the key to the candy box.....

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
5  lennylynx    5 years ago

No one needs to be told what the state of the union is now.  Chaos is the state of the union, and it will remain so until Putin's pet is removed from the White House.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
5.1  Cerenkov  replied to  lennylynx @5    5 years ago

[deleted]

lib50
Professor Silent
5.1.1  lib50  replied to  Cerenkov @5.1    5 years ago

Perhaps you know him better as The Puppet.  Putin's Puppet.   The one who benefited from Putin's help in the election to defeat Hillary Clinton.  Putin didn't have kompromat on her like he did on Trump and all of his goons.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  lib50 @5.1.1    5 years ago
Perhaps you know him better as The Puppet. Putin's Puppet. The one who benefited from Putin's help in the election to defeat Hillary Clinton. Putin didn't have kompromat on her like he did on Trump and all of his goons.

Please do share what Putin "has" on Trump.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
5.1.3  Cerenkov  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.2    5 years ago

He's got nothing but conspiracy theories and tinfoil...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Cerenkov @5.1.3    5 years ago

it does appear so.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
5.1.5  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  lib50 @5.1.1    5 years ago

Stay on topic, or go to another thread.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.1.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.2    5 years ago

Most likely Trump owes him a shit load of money.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.1.6    5 years ago
Most likely Trump owes him a shit load of money.

Did little Rachel Maddow sell that nonsense to you?

Or did you simply make it up?

PROVE IT.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.1.8  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.7    5 years ago

Fat fuck won't release his tax returns. But given that he is a historically shitty businessman, and given that no American banks would lend to him starting in the 90s, the money had to come from somewhere. Also the fact that he sucks Putin's cock on a regular basis, I mean, come on.

And "PROVE IT"? [Deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.1.8    5 years ago
Subjective and anecdotal. Am I supposed to take your word for it? You make a bold claim, but offer nothing to back it up.

Trump has absolutely no obligation to do so. Learn to deal with it.

Also the fact that he sucks Putin's cock on a regular basis, I mean, come on.

Another wild guess from someone whop clearly doesn't know.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    5 years ago

Considering the 'current times' the State Of The Union is somewhat outmoded.

Mexico will not pay for the wall so perhaps the...…….occupying president...…….should just do a State Of The Trump and call it a day.  Maybe he should do it from Trump Tower on a AM radio feed.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
7  lady in black    5 years ago

What's the point of the sotu, just so orange clown can toot his own horn after he proudly shut down the government because he didn't get his way with the wall that mexico is supposed to pay for.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
7.1  Cerenkov  replied to  lady in black @7    5 years ago

The point is the CONUS. [deleted]

lady in black
Professor Quiet
7.1.1  lady in black  replied to  Cerenkov @7.1    5 years ago

You don't have a clue about me so don't assume.  Removed for context

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
7.1.2  Cerenkov  replied to  lady in black @7.1.1    5 years ago

Removed for context

lady in black
Professor Quiet
7.1.3  lady in black  replied to  Cerenkov @7.1.2    5 years ago

Removed for context

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
7.1.4  Cerenkov  replied to  lady in black @7.1.3    5 years ago

[deleted]

lady in black
Professor Quiet
7.1.5  lady in black  replied to  Cerenkov @7.1.4    5 years ago

I know how discussions work, I made a comment and you made a snarky comment that is a sweeping generalization regarding liberals, and again so what if my comment was about trump and his need to toot his own horn I am free to make any comment I want within the bounds of the COC.  Don't like my comment then please feel free to drive by it.  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
7.1.6  Cerenkov  replied to  lady in black @7.1.5    5 years ago

[deleted]

[Trolling]

lady in black
Professor Quiet
7.1.7  lady in black  replied to  Cerenkov @7.1.6    5 years ago

No shit sherlock

The U.S. Constitution mandates in Article II, Section 3 that presidents “shall from time to time give to the Congress information of the state of the union, and recommend to their consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient.”

But the Constitution offers no specifics on how that should be done. Indeed, the modern State of the Union address — the pageantry, the televised address and the agenda-setting message — is a far more recent phenomenon. And the practice of delivering an in-person address before a joint session of Congress has not always been the norm.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
7.1.8  Cerenkov  replied to  lady in black @7.1.7    5 years ago

[deleted]

[immaterial to the current "conversation"]

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
7.1.9  Cerenkov  replied to  Cerenkov @7.1.8    5 years ago

[deleted]

[asking questions not asked by any one else]

[and answering your own questions.]

[Neither a discussion or a debate.]

PJ
Masters Quiet
7.1.10  PJ  replied to  Cerenkov @7.1.4    5 years ago

Are you grumpy tonight, Cerenkov?  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
7.1.11  Cerenkov  replied to  PJ @7.1.10    5 years ago

[deleted]

[No one really cares what you are drinking tonight...]

lady in black
Professor Quiet
7.1.12  lady in black  replied to  Cerenkov @7.1.8    5 years ago

Just pointing out how wrong you pulling things out of thin air just to attack me.  

PJ
Masters Quiet
7.1.13  PJ  replied to  Cerenkov @7.1.11    5 years ago

I figured something was going on.  You're posting in complete sentences.  hahahahaha

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
7.1.14  Cerenkov  replied to  lady in black @7.1.12    5 years ago

[deleted]

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
7.1.15  Cerenkov  replied to  PJ @7.1.13    5 years ago

[deleted]

[Trolling]

lady in black
Professor Quiet
7.1.16  lady in black  replied to  Cerenkov @7.1.14    5 years ago

Where in any of my comments on this seed did I say anything about tax returns.  

I think you better lay off the scotchjrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
7.1.17  Cerenkov  replied to  lady in black @7.1.16    5 years ago

Ah. I see the problem.  I suggest you look up the term "analogy". It will be illuminating. Knowing is half the battle...

lady in black
Professor Quiet
7.1.18  lady in black  replied to  Cerenkov @7.1.17    5 years ago

You're the one who mentioned tax returns like it has anything to do with my comment and your analogies leave something to be desired.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
7.1.19  Cerenkov  replied to  lady in black @7.1.18    5 years ago

So, you somehow have never heard the liberal complaints that Trump did not release his tax returns? Even though there is no such requirement? Smells like hypocrisy. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
7.1.20  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  lady in black @7.1.7    5 years ago

Lady - Cerenkov - not on this thread please.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
7.1.21  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  lady in black @7.1.16    5 years ago

Both of you - stay on topic or leave.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.1.22  bbl-1  replied to  Cerenkov @7.1    5 years ago

[Deleted]

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
7.2  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  lady in black @7    5 years ago

Oh the pain and bias is coming through loud and clear Lady.  Please discuss the topic.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
9  Nowhere Man    5 years ago

A little measure of facts is needed here....

• George Washington delivered the first regular annual address before a joint session of Congress on January 8, 1790, in New York City, then the provisional U.S. capital.
  • John Adams also gave annual addresses to Congress in joint session.
  • In 1801, Thomas Jefferson discontinued the practice of delivering the address in person, regarding it as too monarchical (similar to the Speech from the Throne).
  • Instead, the address was written and then sent to Congress to be read by a clerk until 1913 when Woodrow Wilson re-established the practice.
  • Some Presidents during the latter half of the 20th century have sent written State of the Union addresses. (there is no official record of this except for three occurances)
  • In 1953 and 1961, Congress received both a written State of the Union Address from the outgoing president and a separate State of the Union Address by the incoming president.
  • The last President to do this was Jimmy Carter in 1981, after his defeat by Ronald Reagan and days before his term ended.
  • For many years, the speech was referred to as "the President's Annual Message to Congress".
  • The actual term "State of the Union Address" first emerged in 1934 when FDR used the phrase, becoming its generally accepted name since 1947.
  • Prior to 1934, the annual Address was delivered at the end of the calendar year, in December. The ratification of the 20th Amendment on January 23, 1933, changed the opening of Congress from early March to early January, affecting the delivery of the annual Address.
  • Since 1934, the message or address has been delivered to Congress in January or February.
  • The Twentieth Amendment also established January 20 as the beginning of the presidential term.
  • In years when a new president is inaugurated, the outgoing president may deliver a final State of the Union Address, but none has done so since Jimmy Carter sent a written address in 1981.
  • Since 1989, in recognition that the responsibility of reporting the State of the Union formally belongs to the president who held office during the past year, newly inaugurated Presidents have not officially called their first speech before Congress a "State of the Union" message.
  • In 1936, President Roosevelt set a precedent when he delivered the address at night. Only once before—when Woodrow Wilson asked Congress to order the U.S. into World War I—had a sitting president addressed Congress at night.
  • Warren Harding's 1922 speech was the first to be broadcast on radio, albeit to a limited audience, while Calvin Coolidge's 1923 speech was the first to be broadcast across the nation.
  • Harry S. Truman's 1947 address was the first to be broadcast on television.
  • Lyndon B. Johnson's address in 1965 was the first delivered on the evening TV.
  • Delivered by Lyndon B. Johnson, this address was followed by extensive televised commentary by, among others, Daniel Patrick Moynihan and Milton Friedman.
  • Since 1966, the speech has been followed on television by a response or rebuttal by a member of the major political party opposing the President's party.
  • In 1968, television networks in the United States, for the first time, imposed no time limit for their coverage of a State of the Union address.
  • In 1970, the Democratic Party put together a TV program with their speech to reply to President Nixon, as well as a televised response to Nixon's written speech in 1973.
  • The same was done by Democrats for President Reagan's speeches in 1982 and 1985.
  • Ronald Reagan's 1986 State of the Union Address is the only one to have been postponed. He had planned to deliver it on January 28, 1986 but postponed it for a week after learning of the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster and instead addressed the nation on the day's events.
  • Bill Clinton's 1997 address was the first broadcast available live on the World Wide Web.
  • In 1997, the Republicans for the first time delivered the response in front of high school students.
  • In 2004, the Democratic Party's response was also delivered in Spanish for the first time, by New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson.
  • In 2011, Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann also gave a televised response for the Tea Party Express, a first for a political movement.

Historical Notes:

• President James Monroe first stated the Monroe Doctrine during his seventh annual State of the Union Address to Congress on December 2, 1823. It became a defining moment in the foreign policy of the United States and one of its longest-standing tenets, and would be invoked by many U.S. statesmen and several U.S. presidents, including Theodore Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy, and Ronald Reagan.
  • The Four Freedoms were goals first articulated by Franklin D. Roosevelt on January 6, 1941. In an address known as the Four Freedoms speech, he proposed four fundamental freedoms that people "everywhere in the world" ought to enjoy: freedom of speech and expression, freedom of worship, freedom from want, and freedom from fear.
  • During his State of the Union Address on January 11, 1944, FDR proposed the Second Bill of Rights. Roosevelt's argument was that the "political rights" guaranteed by the constitution and the Bill of Rights had "proved inadequate to assure us equality in the pursuit of happiness".
  • During his State of the Union address on January 8, 1964, Lyndon B. Johnson introduced legislation that would come to be known as the "War on Poverty". This legislation was proposed by Johnson in response to a national poverty rate of around nineteen percent. The speech led the United States Congress to pass the Economic Opportunity Act, which established the Office of Economic Opportunity (OEO) to administer the local application of federal funds targeted against poverty.
  • During his State of the Union address on January 15, 1975, Gerald R. Ford very bluntly stated that "the state of the Union is not good: Millions of Americans are out of work... We depend on others for essential energy. Some people question their Government's ability to make hard decisions and stick with them; they expect Washington politics as usual." Ford said he didn't "expect much, if any, applause. The American people want action, and it will take both the Congress and the President to give them what they want. Progress and solutions can be achieved, and they will be achieved."
  • In his 2002 State of the Union Address, President George W. Bush identified North Korea, Iran, and Iraq as representing significant threats to the United States. He said, "States like these and their terrorist allies constitute an axis of evil, arming to threaten the peace of the world". In this speech, he would outline the objectives for the War on Terror.

Yes it is a long rich tradition, while not required to deliver a speech, every president since Woodrow Wilson, with the notable exception of Herbert Hoover, has made at least one State of the Union Addrerss as a speech delivered before a joint session of Congress.

This would be the first time in our nations history that Congress has refused to allow the President of the United States to address them in person....

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1  Sparty On  replied to  Nowhere Man @9    5 years ago
This would be the first time in our nations history that Congress

Unfortunately for her, Nancy Pelosi is not Congress.

The speech will happen and her attempts at political extortion are completely inane.   Its going to be an entertaining two years if she keeps stuff like this up.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.2  Tacos!  replied to  Nowhere Man @9    5 years ago

Thanks for all that. Great stuff!

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
9.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Nowhere Man @9    5 years ago

In other words, its kinda whatever. We did it a little bit, then didn't for a hundred years, then started again. Clearly it isn't a big deal, Hence why I don't waste my time watching. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
10  PJ    5 years ago

Fools

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
10.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  PJ @10    5 years ago
Fools

Agreed, and very very much so.....

Sophomore Guide
10.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  PJ @10    5 years ago
Fools

It starts at the top and yes.

Sophomore Guide
11  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     5 years ago

Shutdown May Upend State Of The Union Speech

Why ?

Did trump shut down twitter as well ? 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
11.1  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @11    5 years ago

You're only allowed 140 characters, right?

Sophomore Guide
11.1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  1stwarrior @11.1    5 years ago
You're only allowed 140 characters, right?

True I believe, so ? that hasn't stopped trump so far. He just runs them together. 

anyway a short state of the union is all that's needed, He can just say.. "LOOK OUT, I'm in charge"

done deal and... less that 140 characters even. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
12  seeder  1stwarrior    5 years ago

Closing for the night - see ya in the morning.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
13  seeder  1stwarrior    5 years ago

'Morning everyone - time to reopen the discussion.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
14  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

Pelosi is, of course, lying with her rationale.  The department of homeland security has stated there is no security concern,

yet the MSM isn’t freaking out calling her a liar.  what a surprise,

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
14.1  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Sean Treacy @14    5 years ago

They are getting paid too well to open their mouths with an "honest" story.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
14.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  1stwarrior @14.1    5 years ago

Just imagine what the response from CNN etc. would be if Trump lied about homeland security for a publicity stunt in a similar fashion to what Pelosi just did?

Heads would be exploding..

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
14.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sean Treacy @14    5 years ago

Who gives a shit about the state of the union speech anyhow? Its pointless. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
15  Sparty On    5 years ago

This whole thing is just a major political goat-fuck.

We deserve better ..... all of us.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
16  Thrawn 31    5 years ago
Shutdown May Upend State Of The Union Speech

Eh, who cares. Those speeches are stupid anyhow. Haven't watched one since GWB's first. It is basically just a campaign stump speech.