╌>

Black student told her skin was 'too dark' sues Kansas school district for race discrimination

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hal-a-lujah  •  5 years ago  •  27 comments

Black student told her skin was 'too dark' sues Kansas school district for race discrimination
Bc she's (expletive) black. I hate that.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - An African-American girl who was allegedly told that her skin was "too dark" to perform during a school dance has filed a racial discrimination suit against the Blue Valley School District.

Camille Sturdivant graduated from Blue Valley Northwest High School in Overland Park, Kan., in May 2018 and was one of two African-American students on the 14-member Dazzlers dance team, according to the suit filed in U.S. District Court in Kansas City, Kan.

The suit alleges that Sturdivant suffered racial discrimination and was ostracized from dance team events in retaliation for complaints about how she was treated because of her race.In 2017, dance team choreographer Kevin Murakami allegedly made the comment about her skin being too dark, saying it would distract the audience from looking at the other dancers.

"Murakami also told Sturdivant that her skin color clashed with the color of the costumes," the suit alleges.

Last year, the dance team's coach, Carley Fine, was fired as a result of racial comments she made about Sturdivant, according to the lawsuit.

Fine had worked for Blue Valley Schools, first as an assistant drill team coach and later as head drill team coach, since July 2016, the district said.

Shortly before her graduation, Sturdivant was given the coach's phone to play music for the dance team when she saw text messages between Fine and Murakami.

According to the suit, Sturdivant had recently won a spot on the Golden Girls dance team at the University of Missouri for the next school year. The text messages appeared to discuss that news.

"THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. I'm so mad," the choreographer wrote.

The coach responded, "It actually makes my stomach hurt."

She then added: "Bc she's (expletive) black. I hate that."

The suit says that Sturdivant was "sickened" by the texts. She showed them to her parents, who showed them to the school principal.

The coach was fired the next day, and told that she could not be on school property or have contact with Sturdivant or any other member of the dance team.

But the former coach was seen at the school and with members of the dance team several times afterward, the suit alleges.

Sturdivant's family was told that a team banquet paid for by parents was canceled, but later learned that Fine and all of the other dancers except Sturdivant had attended a dinner on the Plaza on the same date as the canceled banquet.

At the final dance performance of the school year, all of the team members except Sturdivant and the other African-American team member wore ribbons on their costumes with the initials CL for Carley Fine, according to the suit.

Sturdivant and the other African-American student were excluded from team photos taken after the event on school property.

The suit names the district, school principal Amy Pressly, Fine and Katie Porter, the parent of another dancer on the team and a school district teacher, as defendants.

Sturdivant's family was told that a team banquet paid for by parents was canceled, but later learned that Fine and all of the other dancers except Sturdivant had attended a dinner on the Plaza on the same date as the canceled banquet.

At the final dance performance of the school year, all of the team members except Sturdivant and the other African-American team member wore ribbons on their costumes with the initials CL for Carley Fine, according to the suit.

Sturdivant and the other African-American student were excluded from team photos taken after the event on school property.

The suit names the district, school principal Amy Pressly, Fine and Katie Porter, the parent of another dancer on the team and a school district teacher, as defendants.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah    5 years ago

I seeded this as a prime example of how racist people don't even see their own racism.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

But but we are in a post racial period. /s

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @2    5 years ago

It is Kansas....

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1    5 years ago

In defense of Kansas, the coach was apparently fired immediately.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.1    5 years ago
In defense of Kansas, the coach was apparently fired immediately.

As well they should have. Though damaging the defense of Kansas, there was the entire team other than the two black members who wore ribbons in the racist teachers honor and all the team parents rearranging the team banquet to exclude just the two black team members. I think those two incongruous facts about Kansas say that while the management positions and positions of authority recognize holding to old racists traditions are no longer acceptable, many in the general populace haven't evolved all that much from their very racist roots.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
2.1.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1    5 years ago

In "Bloody Kansas'" defense, it's history (Jayhawkers) in the fight against slavery is sterling.  Of course, that was then and this is now.  History does not make up for this.   

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.2    5 years ago

The parents are the worst offenders because they are teaching their kids that segregation is a good thing

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3  bbl-1    5 years ago

MAGA unchained.  But...….but...…….there's Ben Carson, right?

Enoch
Masters Quiet
4  Enoch    5 years ago

Dear Friend Hal Al Lujah: Turns my stomach to read such a story of human depravity.

I am pleased both that this fine young lady was accepted and welcomed by the University of Missouri as a student and activities team participant, and that she may get justice working through the judiciary.

Please do keep us current on developments.

Kindly include any suggestions you have for our community to participate with advocates for her.

Peace, Abundant Blessings and Justice to and for One and All.

Enoch.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago

What an awful story. 

It is interesting to me to see the interplay of athletic entitlement (which often comes from the coach) and racism. What an evil combination.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Tacos! @5    5 years ago

It kind of reminded me of a past situation in my life.  My daughters went to a school where most of the kids had far more money than us.  My oldest was on the volleyball team with all the rich kids, and one of their parents was the head coach.  She was every bit as good as the others at the beginning of the season, but barely got any playing time when the rich kids were playing the whole match.  They got better throughout the season because they were constantly playing in matches.  I know that lady felt the daggers from my eyes in the stands, where I sat and watched my deflated daughter and a couple other less well-heeled players sit entire games out.  My daughter and some of the others on the team then tried out for a prestigious club team, and she made first string.  That school coach looked like an asshole when word got out that a player she consistently benched beat out some of her star rich kids for a seat on a club team.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
5.1.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1    5 years ago

That's how to beat the assholes.  Well done by your tough girls.   Of course, this suit is also another way. 

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
6  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     5 years ago

her skin being too dark, saying it would distract the audience from looking at the other dancers.

Was it a glowing fluorescent blue ?  

If so I could see how that may be a problem and the person may have a point. But these days natural skin color is not an acceptable reason for exclusion even if you are going for a professional looking highly  choreographed, symmetric effect in a show with humans involved. 

Just not PC. 

And there are repercussions.  

and the point therefor is mute: