╌>

Why Did Trump Want Cohen To Lie To Congress And The Prosecutors ?

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  johnrussell  •  5 years ago  •  96 comments

Why Did Trump Want Cohen To Lie To Congress And The Prosecutors ?

Why did Trump want Cohen to lie?

One of the big reasons is in last night's news report that claims Trump told his lawyer to lie in his testimony.

https:// www.theguardian.com /us-news/2019/jan/18/ trump -michael...

Jan 18, 2019  · But the two law enforcement sources told BuzzFeed that Trump met Cohen face to face at least 10 times during the campaign to talk about the Moscow tower project .

Trump met Cohen face to face to discuss the "Moscow project" at least 10 times DURING THE CAMPAIGN.

Let that sink in.

First of all it shows that the so called ultimate winner , Trump, did not expect to win the election. He may not even have wanted to win the election. He WANTED a tower in Moscow that would allegedly profit him 300 million dollars.

Of course he was the nominee and part of him wanted to win the presidency, and humiliate Hillary and humiliate the elites who doubt him bla bla bla.  But he knew his prospects to win would be hurt AND he would be exposed for the world to see as a total liar if it came out that he was dealing with Russia while he told everyone he wasn't.

And would people have voted for a candidate who was actively trying to make a financial deal with America's adversary Russia?

There is another election coming. The lie must be maintained through the next election or he will lose votes if it comes out that he was dealing with Moscow secretly on his own financial dealings while he was running for the US presidency. So he tells Cohen , and likely others, to lie when they are called to testify.

He thinks he can keep the Russian dealings about the "Moscow project" secret.

Now he has been caught committing a crime.

Richard Nixon was forced to resign for exactly what Trump is now accused of in the Buzzfeed article.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Hopefully he will be gone by summer. I think it's a possibility.

All trolling comments to the author will be flagged for removal.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

Sadly, I actually think this is bad news for Democrats. I think if they impeach Trump it may very well ultimately backfire with Pence becoming President for the last year and a half and he could actually look and act Presidential, while also injecting more evangelical religion into secular society than even Trump would have dared. He very well could solidify the conservative Republican base and garner just enough religious independents to win in 2020 which would then give him an opportunity to run for re-election in 2024 since he would not have served two full terms at that point. We could possibly have a President Pence till 2028. We could end up with nearly 10 years of evangelical Republican control of the executive branch. It would almost certainly guarantee two more religious conservatives being added to the supreme court.

So I hope against all hope that either Pence is taken down along with the most corrupt administration in American history, or is defeated by huge margins in 2020.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1    5 years ago

I dont see the prospects included in a Pence presidency to be that bleak for the Democrats and progressives at all.

Mike Pence has been, well, a Trump toady , ever since he accepted the VP nomination. His image outside of the far right is horrible. He has Trump stank all over him.  I expect him to be a completely ineffectual president for whatever amount of time he has it until 2020.

I seriously doubt the Republicans would even nominate Pence for president next year. Many Republicans in Congress reportedly cannot stand him.

There are not enough evangelical Christians to elect anyone. Trump got a lot of independents to vote for him. I dont see that as being in the cards for Pence at all.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    5 years ago

I can see both your points.

Personally, I think the Democrats should hold off on bringing impeachment charges and just let the stank keep growing. trmp will be completely unelectable in 2020. He'll still have a few syncophants left that will suck up everything he vomits up but I think he's losing the independants

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    5 years ago

Even if he is completely and convincingly disgraced, an unstable Trump would still have presidential powers including the ability to enact destructive executive orders.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    5 years ago

We still have a congress and a supreme court to counteract him. He's not a dictator

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.1.5  KDMichigan  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    5 years ago
Personally, I think the Democrats should hold off on bringing impeachment charges and just let the stank keep growing.

Impeachment for what? Fake news? jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

We don't even know for sure if any of this is true. Unless there is video, audio, or email evidence that verifies these conversations, I refuse to believe it. Every allegation against Trump so far has been proven to be false. I certainly don't trust the MSM or anything that gets posted here.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Ender  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    5 years ago

Supposedly Cohen taped a lot of conversations.

Of course we don't know if that is true either.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    5 years ago
Every allegation against Trump so far has been proven to be false.

Nonsense.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    5 years ago
We don't even know for sure if any of this is true.

Let's see what we have. BuzzFeed, (not the most reliable source) released an unverified story based on unnamed "federal law enforcement" sources (from the Mueller team???) saying that President Trump (as President) ordered Cohen to lie to Congress. No other news outlet has backed up or verified this story. The reporters who produced the story are  Jason Leopold and Anthony Cormier. Leoplod was fired from both the LA Times and Salon. At Salon he was basically accused of making stuff up. 

My advice is to wait and see how this latest "bombshell" turns out. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.2.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.3    5 years ago
The reporters who produced the story are Jason Leopold and Anthony Cormier.

One of them said that they, meaning both, had confirmed evidence that the story is true. Within hours, the other reporter said that they did NOT have confirmed evidence that the story is true. Translation = one of them is lying.

And -- The Mueller team issued a statement debunking the Buzzfeed "bombshell".

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.3  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

[deleted]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

Richard Nixon was forced to resign for exactly what Trump is now accused of in the Buzzfeed article.

That's not what caused Nixon to resign.

And Democrats didn't think subordination of perjury merited impeachment and removal  20 years ago.    

Because I'm not a Democrat, I think the President should be removed if subornation of perjury can be proven.

What will be funny is watching Democrats argue when it's okay for a President to suborn perjury and when it's impeachable.  The real answer is, of course, whether there's an R or D after the President's name.   

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    5 years ago

You have defended Trump well past the point of absurdity. Every dirty thing he has done is untouchable because some Democrat may have done something similar once upon a time.

So Trump incorporates any bad trait every president or politician has had since the beginning of time.

What exactly are his good traits? And I'm not talking about him nominating conservative judges.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    5 years ago
What exactly are his good traits?
What are his bad ones?
What do you dislike most....his policies, his personality, or the remarkable way he gets things done in spite of all the resistance?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.1    5 years ago

lol. In response to what are his good traits, you ask a reverse question. Very Trumpian.

Well at least you tacitly agree he has no good traits.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    5 years ago

Ya know what, Sean....Democrats learn from their mistakes.

I was pretty pissed at Bill when he got on TV and refused to admit any guilt after he was impeached. He ranted about Ken Starr but refused to claim responsibility.

Yes, it was all over a silly blow job. But you're right, he lied about it and probably did suborn perjury (I'm not sure that was ever proven). I wish he had just told Starr that his sex life was none of Starr's fucking business

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2    5 years ago
....Democrats learn from their mistakes.

Uh..., I'd have to disagree with you.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2.2  JBB  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2    5 years ago

Nobody ever disappointed me more than Bill Clinton but, lying about an affair is not even in the same ballpark as conspiring with a foreign enemy to illegally hack your political opposition, subborning perjury, obstructing justice or committing election fraud...

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2.3  JBB  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2.1    5 years ago

Color me not surprised...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    5 years ago

"Cohen, Trump’s longtime personal lawyer and fixer, pleaded guilty in November to lying to Congress about the Moscow project. He told the House and Senate intelligence committees that the project was scrapped by January 2016, but Cohen has now said planning actually continued through June, while Trump was a candidate for president."

Gosh....Hanging your hat on now a two time liar.....is so...… so …..  Liberal !

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1  Greg Jones  replied to  It Is ME @3    5 years ago

He lies more than Trump allegedly does, and yet everyone believes every word of it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1    5 years ago

Why do you refuse to acknowledge Trump's lies?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1    5 years ago

The "BUZZFEED" "ASS"CUZATION" ….. LIE..... was a riot !

And the Liberal types were all over it as a "Truth" ! (LMAO FACE)

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.1.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.2    5 years ago

Your strangely composed posts indicate you to be a very expressive individual in person.  I imagine a conversation with you in person would involve a lot of chicken-necking, eye bulging, eye rolling, head swinging, leaning in, elbow nudging, finger wagging, winking, finger quotes, and out of control hand gestures. jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.1.3    5 years ago

Stupid is as Stupid Deserves !

I'm not the type to just "Smile and nod" at ridicules comments !

"IT IS ME" YOU see....dontchyaknow !

I'm NOT some "ACTOR" you "Need" ME to be !!!!!!! 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.1.5  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.4    5 years ago

That’s nice.  I once had a professor who did all those gestures I suggested, every day in class.  He was a smart guy and a decent professor, but he was annoying as fuck to listen to.  All that pomp is very unnecessary to make a point.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
3.1.6  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  It Is ME @3.1.2    5 years ago
And the Liberal types were all over it as a "Truth"

Yea some people are quick to want to believe the worst. But it's not just liberal people who can succumb to that, It wasn't too long ago we had a pizza sex shop scandal go kinda the same way in the opposite direction. 

Some people have learned to wait and see what truth is, before reacting. 

That's the price of a devided country where some people will deceive the masses if they can for their own advantage. Best to be sure before just assuming much these days. 

Fiction is readily available everywhere, facts take time to be verified. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @3.1.6    5 years ago

I blame TV. LOL !

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.8  It Is ME  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.1.5    5 years ago
but he was annoying as fuck to listen to.  All that pomp is very unnecessary to make a point.

And you were "Forced" to take the class ?

Sophomore Guide
3.1.9  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  It Is ME @3.1.7    5 years ago
I blame TV. LOL !

You're not alone.

When we got 24/7/365 network news that was the beginning of the end of truthful journalism as we had known it. What replaced that was a rush and a push for instant news stories.  

and here we are ! 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @3.1.9    5 years ago
What replaced that was a rush and a push for instant news stories.  

I find it to be more replaced by "Soap Opera" type stories.  Some just gotta find out if "Luke" is gonna Marry "Laura" ! :-)

Sophomore Guide
3.1.11  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  It Is ME @3.1.10    5 years ago
I find it to be more replaced by "Soap Opera" type stories.  Some just gotta find out if "Luke" is gonna Marry "Laura" !

LOL... :)  Yep they did learn the art of the "Hook Story" quick .

Breaking News  

"Be sure to tune in at 11 for more details !!" 

LOL 

Meanwhile, A quick word from our sponsors. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.12  It Is ME  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @3.1.11    5 years ago

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.1.13  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.8    5 years ago

Well, yeah, in a sense I was forced to take the class as it wasn’t an elective.  Wtf does that have to do with anything?  I was just clueing you in to how you come across here with all that visual pageantry.  It doesn’t make your arguments any more enticing.  Quite the contrary, in fact.  Carry on.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.14  It Is ME  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.1.13    5 years ago
I was just clueing you in to how you come across here with all that visual pageantry.

Read my Avatar ! :-)

SUPRISE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    5 years ago

Trump told Cohen to lie because the truth delegtimizes his entire presidency...

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.3  KDMichigan  replied to  JBB @5    5 years ago
Trump told Cohen to lie because the truth delegtimizes his entire presidency...

Bahahahahaha 

If you believe him on this then you should believe him when his full report is made available.

So are you saying you don't believe him? You can't even stick to one point but just throwing anything out there.

Are you setting yourself up to deny Mueller's report that President Trump didn't collude? jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

JBB
Professor Principal
5.3.1  JBB  replied to  KDMichigan @5.3    5 years ago

I can and will admit it if Mueller ever vindicates Trump, Trump's kids, Jarred Kushner, the Trump campaign, the Trump transition team, the Trump Inauguration Committee and the Trump Administration of collusion with Russia, obstruction of justice, lying to Congress, suborning perjury, tax evasion, corruption and general malfeasence. As if that were a possible outcome... 

Will you admit if Trump and Company are indicted of crimes on good evidence?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
8  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

Another in a long line of negative stories published by the MSM only to be proven wrong. 

Funny how the media never makes a mistake in Trump's favor. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @8    5 years ago

What is "proven" is that Mueller's office said something in the Buzzfeed story is not accurate. 

Oh by the way, fuck Trump. He is the worst president and human being in the history of this country.

A thousand inaccurate stories can't fix that.

What on earth would lead you to believe that he deserves to have a story be slanted in his favor?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago
While Mueller's office disputed how BuzzFeed characterized statements, documents and testimony in its story, the statement did not include specifics or a sweeping denial of the story's overall theme: that the president directed Cohen to lie to Congress. 

BuzzFeed responded Friday, saying the news organization remained “confident in the accuracy of our report.”

“We are continuing to report and determine what the special counsel is disputing,” BuzzFeed said in a statement.

The news organization's Editor-In-Chief, Ben Smith, asked that Mueller's office be more clear as to what was inaccurate in the story. 

"In response to the statement tonight from the Special Counsel's spokesman: We stand by our reporting and the sources who informed it, and we urge the Special Counsel to make clear what he's disputing," Smith said on Twitter. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
11  pat wilson    5 years ago

trump is a Russian asset. And asshat.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
11.1  1stwarrior  replied to  pat wilson @11    5 years ago

Take your blinders off Pat.