╌>

How do you like your steak cooked?

Category:  Wine & Food

By:  kathleen  •  5 years ago  •  49 comments

How do you like your steak cooked?

Good Morning all,

Yesterday there was a article about how much protein we need in our diets, so it reminded me of eating a nice juicy steak on the grill.

How do you like your steak cooked and what cut do you prefer?

Rare/Med Rare/Med/Med Well/ Well Done

Please, no politics or religion and be polite.  Thank you.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

First choice is tender thick Filet Mignon medium-rare, like this - a bit more rare than medium-rare:

aeGPoKp_700b.jpg

In America Ruths Chris (sp?) Steakhouse would be a typical place to get it like that.  In Toronto I lived for a couple of years next to Carman's Club where the best steaks in town were found.  I was on the 26th floor above the restaurant, and when I went out on my balcony the smell of garlic wafting up was enough to kill.  I ate many a Filet there.

Second choice would be, as you chose, Rib Steak bone in - actually a little tastier than a Filet Mignon, just a little less tender, like this:

th?id=OIP.R3P1qv8tlvoR5ArcS9g3ugHaFj&w=2

My birthday is approaching, and I have not had a decent steak for years, so we will go to the Holiday Inn not far from us, that has the best restaurant for such a meal.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2  Gordy327  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    5 years ago

That looks really good Buzz. My mouth is watering already 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.3  Freefaller  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    5 years ago

Lol Buzz I have to agree with Gordy that pic got my mouth watering

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
3  JaneDoe    5 years ago

I like a nice filet, medium, preferably with a side of lobster and a bit of asparagus.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4  lady in black    5 years ago

Medium rare to medium

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
6  lennylynx    5 years ago

[deleted]

Snuffy
Professor Participates
7  Snuffy    5 years ago

Definitely med-rare for me..  I found it hard to cook steak for my mother as she wanted hers so well done it was dead. We would put her steak on the grill a good 20 minutes before we started to cook anybody elses..  crazy woman but then hey,  she did raise me.  :)

A ribeye has the most flavor in my mind. Second would be a NY strip.  Lots of flavor in those cuts. I think the filet is a safe choice when you don't know the restaurant, but it lacks the depth of flavor a good ribeye has.

It's kind of sad that I'm no longer 20 and cannot eat like I used to.  Back in the day T-bones and porterhouse steaks were great as they were all large.  18 - 20 oz's of steak with all the fixings was wonderful.  Now in my advanced youth I'm much more reserved and can only eat maybe 6 oz of steak...  sigh.   One good thing about this change however is that I can by a single NY Strip from Costco (I do love their beef quality), cut it into thirds and vacuum pack and freeze it and have 3 meals for the price of one.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
7.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Snuffy @7    5 years ago
A ribeye has the most flavor in my mind. Second would be a NY strip.  Lots of flavor in those cuts. I think the filet is a safe choice when you don't know the restaurant, but it lacks the depth of flavor a good ribeye has.

Ever try a Hanger steak? It has a lot of flavor but is almost as tender as the filet.

"A hanger steak, also known as butcher's steak, is a cut of beef steak prized for its flavor. Derived from the diaphragm of a steer or heifer, it typically weighs about 450 to 675 grams (1 to 1 1⁄2 pounds). This cut is taken from the plate, which is the lower belly of the animal. In the past it was sometimes known as "butcher's steak", because butchers would often keep it for themselves rather than offer it for sale."

"Hanger steak resembles flank steak in texture and flavor. It is a vaguely V-shaped pair of muscles with a long, inedible membrane running down the middle. The hanger steak is usually the tenderest cut on an animal."

Anatomically speaking, the hanger steak is the crura, or legs, of the diaphragm. The steak is said to "hang" from the diaphragm of the heifer or steer. The diaphragm is one muscle, commonly cut into two separate cuts of meat: the hanger steak, traditionally considered more flavorful, and the outer skirt steak, composed of tougher muscle from the dome of the diaphragm. The hanger is attached to the last rib and to the front of several of the lumbar vertebrae."

I like mine medium rare w/ butter and blue cheese... and a side of al dente steamed broccoli and wasabi mashed potatoes.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
8  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

I'm a medium rare guy. My late wife, who liked hers well done,  used to tell me she expected my steak to go moo when I stuck a for in it.jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

epistte
Junior Guide
9  epistte    5 years ago

I like mine medium.

I like thick sirloin or flatiron.  6-8oz is more than enough and I usually cannot finish more than 1/2 of that. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
10  charger 383    5 years ago

Medium rare, burned on outside.  Lately I have been putting molasses on mine when grilling.   

luther28
Sophomore Silent
10.1  luther28  replied to  charger 383 @10    5 years ago
Lately I have been putting molasses on mine when grilling.

There's one I never had heard. What type of flavoring (please don't say molasses:)), does it lend to the meat?

charger 383
Professor Silent
10.1.1  charger 383  replied to  luther28 @10.1    5 years ago

It is a sweet flavor and gives it a nice burn crust  

luther28
Sophomore Silent
10.1.2  luther28  replied to  charger 383 @10.1.1    5 years ago

I'll have to give it a whirl, thank you.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11  TᵢG    5 years ago

Medium rare with clean sear lines.    I get the grill to ~550 degrees and throw the steak onto my iron grates.    We do not eat much steak anymore, so when we do I try to do it right.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
14  JohnRussell    5 years ago
How do you like your steak cooked

in a pan that is being heated

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
16  Hal A. Lujah    5 years ago

Well marbled and rare, as in kissed with a hot flame just enough to render some fat, still reddish purple on the inside, oozing red juice, and generously salted with coarse sea salt.  Channel your inner caveman and try it.  Makes my mouth water just writing about it.  Over-cooking cooks out some of a good steak’s flavor and increases your risk of cancer from the blackened parts.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
16.2  livefreeordie  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @16    5 years ago

Wow, something we agree on. I spent time in my younger years as a steakhouse cook.  Every cook I’ve ever known eats their beef rare.

JBB
Professor Principal
16.2.1  JBB  replied to  livefreeordie @16.2    5 years ago

Removed

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
16.2.3  livefreeordie  replied to  JBB @16.2.1    5 years ago

Agreed

Gordy327
Professor Expert
16.3  Gordy327  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @16    5 years ago

I don't mind rare. But I usually take medium rare, with sear lines, and flame kissed at the last minute. The thicker the cut, the better. Serve with a large baked potato and baked garlic on the side, and a piece of garlic bread to soak up all the juice on the plate. Proper steak margination beforehand is important too-really brings out the flavor.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
17  It Is ME    5 years ago

A THICK T-Bone....BROILED.....Lawry Salted ………. and dosed with melted real butter MANY TIMES !

JBB
Professor Principal
18  JBB    5 years ago

As my Dad grilled a good steak, coal charred on the outside with a hot pink center. Some might call that Medium Rare but i think it more as just Medium. We, actually just my ancient Mom now, have a ranch so we always have good prime beef which my Father proudly served to our guests when he was still alive. Once we had guests who specifically asked that their steaks be cooked Very Well Done. Daddy hated it but he cooked those heavily marbled rib steaks until they were as tough and dry as shoe leather. Then, to add insult to injury, our guests asked for catsup which they then proceeded to drench Daddy's home grown fatted calf in. Those folks got served hot dogs next time...   

Tacos!
Professor Guide
19  Tacos!    5 years ago

Medium Rare or yer doin' it wrong!

When I choose the steak I choose ribeye or porterhouse. At Christmas, I usually buy a rib roast (Prime Rib if yer feeling like fancy talk). 

But we get other stuff, too, like we'll get flank steak, marinate it and make carne asada fajitas.

Some time ago - responding to an idea that could only come from the internet - I bought the whole ribeye from Costco. It was like 2 1/2 feet of meat. I let the thing sit in my fridge for about 5 weeks, slicing off roasts and steaks as I desired. Each bit of it left in the fridge dry aged over the weeks and got pretty scary looking and funky smelling, but it was all good.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
20  Freefaller    5 years ago

A well marbled ribeye cooked on the rare side of medium rare, blood red in middle slowly fading to pink close to the outside.  Has to be done on a very hot grill (no pans or ovens) 30 seconds on each side twice for those perfect grill hash marks.  At most add a little garlic, as someone else mentioned a good steak shouldn't need anything.

Lol my dad hated grilling for us when I was younger, my brother liked shoe leather well done, I was somewhere in the middle, and my dad basically used the grill to just warm up the meat (still deep purple all the way through) when his was done you could still read the butchers stamp on the edge.  

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
21  igknorantzrulz    5 years ago

what

you're supposed to Cook Steak ?

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
22  nightwalker    5 years ago

Best cuts IMHO, fillet minion and New York cut at least a inch thick. Cooked medium rare, preferably cooked over charcoal. Add a bit of salt and pepper both fresh ground. Add pepper before cooking and the salt after cooking. Put it with a loaded baked potato or some fresh French fries, and a dinner salad and a fresh baked roll, and I'm a pretty happy fellow.

Generally I don't marinate, but if you have a tough piece of meat, use a wine base and a generous amount of steak seasoning sold by brand names like McCormick. Soak for a couple hours in the refrigerator and a hour out, pat dry then cook it up. Don't add spices until you've tasted it, steak seasoning already has salt and pepper as well as other seasonings.

You won't taste the wine unless you use something really cheap, and the wine helps tenderize the meat.

Gads, I just remembered I have 2 nice thick tender filet minion steaks from Omaha steaks just waiting in the freezer.

jrSmiley_25_smiley_image.gif

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
22.1  Freefaller  replied to  nightwalker @22    5 years ago
I just remembered I have 2 nice thick tender filet minion steaks

Cool one for you and one for me.:)

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
22.1.1  nightwalker  replied to  Freefaller @22.1    5 years ago

LOL

You wish!!!

Too bad we cant get all us carnivores together, everyone bringing their favorite cuts of meat and we have a major fry-up. Or would that be a Grill-up?

Anyway, first person to bring ketchup pays for the charcoal.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
22.1.2  Freefaller  replied to  nightwalker @22.1.1    5 years ago

I like Grill-up and I'll be there as long as it's warmer than here

luther28
Sophomore Silent
23  luther28    5 years ago

Always with the food Kathleen:)

Medium rare, right off the grill.