╌>

End Of The World

Category:  Other

Via:  nowhere-man  •  5 years ago  •  61 comments

End Of The World
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia. --Charles M. Schulz

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Come see the world end....

(as told on the big screen)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1  seeder  Nowhere Man    5 years ago

Please Join us.....

shona1
PhD Quiet
1.1  shona1  replied to  Nowhere Man @1    5 years ago

A/noon nowhere..Yep and you mob aren't going anywhere yet!!!....we will let you know when it happens...jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @1.1    5 years ago

LOL. I'm with you on that, Shona.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  shona1 @1.1    5 years ago
we will let you know when it happens...

The first sign you'll see is Mel Gibson cruising the outback in his V8 Interceptor...

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.3  seeder  Nowhere Man  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.2    5 years ago

Yep the Road Warrior.....

Got to post that one someday.....

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.4  seeder  Nowhere Man  replied to  shona1 @1.1    5 years ago
A/noon nowhere

And good evening to you......

Need to get you a red phone, direct line to let us know what is coming....

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2  seeder  Nowhere Man    5 years ago

Currently there are three movies up in the group....

The Day the Earth Caught Fire......

The Day if the Triffids......

Fail Safe.......

Will be posting shortly........

Dr Strangelove, or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the Bomb......

By Dawn's Early Light.......

So the end of the world thru accidental Nuclear experimentation, accidental Nuclear Armageddon, Crazy people with a finger on the button, or Voracious alien man eating plants........

Makes one wonder, given mandkind's latent fears, how we survived this long.....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Nowhere Man @2    5 years ago

With "the bomb" in the hands of so many who may not have the same respect for life as we do, and with Iran to have it as well, I don't think we have long to wait. At least at my age I have lived a pretty full life and will probably not get to see the day when........

As I have said many times before, "Life imitates art".

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.1.1  seeder  Nowhere Man  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    5 years ago

I find it very hard to believe that they will actually use them, They know that it would be suicide. Their cities would become glass paved parking lots....

That's the thing about nuclear weapons, you build them so the other side will not use theirs...... If the Russians would back down like they did in Cuba when confronted with nuclear defense, I don't think the Iranians have bigger balls than the Russians of the 1960's.......

Yes, Life imitates Art, sometimes........

Other time's it imitates a lunatic's crayon scribbling on lined paper.....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.1.1    5 years ago

I'm really not sure about what would happen if Iran carries out its threat and has its terrorist proxy Hezbollah rain its thousands of Iranian missiles on Israel. Israel is fully aware who calls the shots for Hezbollah. As well I don't trust Pakistan even if it knows India has the bomb as well.  Both Iran and Pakistan are governed by those who value death in advancing their religious intentions as leading to martyrdom, 72 virgins and eternal life in the Garden of Allah.  They just might not give a shit about the consequences. I don't forget that it was a Hamas leader who said they had a secret weapon to use on Israel, because Jews sanctify and value life while Muslims sanctify and glorify death.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.2    5 years ago

What Buzz said

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.4  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.2    5 years ago

I'm really not sure about what would happen if Iran carries out its threat and has its terrorist proxy Hezbollah rain its thousands of Iranian missiles on Israel.

Israel is such a tiny country that even if one nuclear bomb was dropped in the exact center, the radioactive fallout would kill or injure many, many "Palestinians". Which would be extremely politically incorrect in the Arab world-- millions of  Muslims would be furious with Iran!

(BTW that's why Iran never bombed the reactor Saddam was building, even though the two countries were at war with each other. Since Iraq and Iran are next door to each other, Iran was  afraid that the radioactivity would contaminate their country).

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.5  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.2    5 years ago

They just might not give a shit about the consequences. I don't forget that it was a Hamas leader who said they had a secret weapon to use on Israel, because Jews sanctify and value life while Muslims sanctify and glorify death.

Individually, some of the crazier ones do indeed want to dies  because they believe that will ensure they enter Heaven. However, if there's a nuclear war in the Mideast, so many Muslims would die that its may have an unintended negative consequence (from their POV)-- they want to convert the entire world to Islam. If millions of people die in the Middle east, that will put them at a distinct disadvantage in their quest for world domination.

BTW, "usually reliable sources" report that Israel has a few submarines capable of firing missiles that can carry nuclear weapons. And these same sources claim that Israel currently has two subs constantly cruising back and forth off the coast of Iran...and Iran knows that).

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2.1.4    5 years ago
"...millions of  Muslims would be furious with Iran!"

I thought they already are, or at least feared Iran's hegemony.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Nowhere Man @2    5 years ago

How about World War Z?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.2.1  seeder  Nowhere Man  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.2    5 years ago
World War Z?

The highest-grossing zombie horror film of all time.

That's the only thing it has going for it.....

Zombie movies are horror movies not apocalypse movies...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Which movies qualify for the end of the world theme? I have a whole list.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    5 years ago

The author probably chose only those he liked for the list, but there are certainly many more. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    5 years ago

Ahhhh...

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
3.2  seeder  Nowhere Man  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    5 years ago
I have a whole list.

What would you like to see?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Nowhere Man @3.2    5 years ago

There is a new one out that I think will mind-blowing. It's called Anialation. The other would be Soylant Green or the Omega Man. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
3.2.2  seeder  Nowhere Man  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.1    5 years ago
Annihilation (2018)

I have all three of them girl......

TTGA
Professor Silent
4  TTGA    5 years ago

NWM,

Don't need an entire movie; just one episode from a cartoon.

Marge Simpson:  "Oh my God, it's the Apocalypse.  Bart, do you have clean underwear on?"

Bart:  "Not any more!!!"

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA @4    5 years ago

LOL.  My first laugh of the day!

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.2  seeder  Nowhere Man  replied to  TTGA @4    5 years ago
Oh my God, it's the Apocalypse.  Bart, do you have clean underwear on?"

ASK and thou shalleth receive....

TTGA
Professor Silent
4.2.1  TTGA  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.2    5 years ago

Among the more serious of them, and never had a bomb go off on screen, On The Beach was good. Although the production values were pretty primitive in 1959, the psychological effect of nuclear war was handled pretty well.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.2.2  seeder  Nowhere Man  replied to  TTGA @4.2.1    5 years ago

Are you aware my good friend that it is posted in Buzz's movie group right now? 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
5  seeder  Nowhere Man    5 years ago

By Dawn's Early Light is now posted.......

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
6  seeder  Nowhere Man    5 years ago

1964 Dr Strangelov e, or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the Bomb

Is now up and playing....

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
7  seeder  Nowhere Man    5 years ago

Now in processing......

1983 Testament

1984 Threads

2018 Annihilation

Will post here when available.....

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
8  seeder  Nowhere Man    5 years ago

1983's Testament is now posted.......

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Nowhere Man @8    5 years ago

Steven Spielberg's WAR OF THE WORLDS

-

There is a pretty strange little known "end of the world" movie named MIRACLE MILE

After spending the afternoon together, they make a date to meet after her shift ends at midnight at a local coffee shop, but a power failure means Harry's alarm fails to wake him and Julie leaves for home. When Harry awakes that night he realizes what's happened and rushes to the shop, arriving at 4 AM. Harry tries to call Julie on a pay phone, but only reaches her answering machine, where he leaves an apology. When the phone rings moments later he picks it up, hearing a frantic man (presumed to be in a missile silo) telling his father that nuclear war is about to break out in less than seventy minutes.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
8.1.1  seeder  Nowhere Man  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1    5 years ago

yep, and then he goes rushing about trying to make connections with the lady....

A love story driven by a mushroom cloud....

And the ending just plain sucks.

Probably why it isn't well known.....

War of the Worlds? I greatly prefer George Pals Version from '65, although Spielberg's '05 redux version isn't too bad either......

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Nowhere Man @8.1.1    5 years ago

Ah, but the most effective one, the one that caused widespread panic, was the original Orson Welles radio broadcast, that caused rules to be created requiring messages that it was not real to be broadcast throughout such programs.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Nowhere Man @8.1.1    5 years ago
I greatly prefer George Pals Version from '65, although Spielberg's '05 redux version isn't too bad either......

War Of The Worlds is essentially a cornball story as seen in the movies (the original novel by Wells is more serious minded). I enjoy the 50's version, but Spielberg is able to take the hysteria to a new level. I also thought the part fit Tom Cruise screen persona like a glove.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Nowhere Man @8.1.1    5 years ago

Miracle Mile is 89% on Rotten Tomatoes, so most critics liked it.

I haven't seen it in 25 years, but as I recall I wasnt super impressed with it at the time.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
8.1.5  seeder  Nowhere Man  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1.3    5 years ago

Well, Novels always have much much more detail than they could ever put in a movie.....

The one detraction of Pal's version is the martian machines are completely different than the novel, otherwise the story closely resembles the book except for the obvious setting change from England to Southern California.....

Spielbergs '05 version got the machinery right, including the part about where they get their fuel, but still gets the locations wrong. (east coast of the US)

And yeah, for what was produced? Cruise was the best actor for that depiction I could think of also.....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Nowhere Man @8.1.5    5 years ago
including the part about where they get their fuel,

Thank-you. You just cleared something up for me. Now why did they spray blood all over the place?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
8.1.7  seeder  Nowhere Man  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1.4    5 years ago
Miracle Mile is 89% on Rotten Tomatoes, so most critics liked it.

Yeah I seldom go by critics scoring also, I have a brain and can rationally take an opinion on a movie. Part of that is how one feels after they have seen it, generally first impressions are best......

I've seen blockbusters that were pure crap and low budget shorties that were brilliant.....

For example, Miracle on 34th street, released in July and the critics generally panned it, but it is a traditional Thanksgiving-Christmas classic... Everyone who sees it generally likes it.

I put very little stock in movie critics....

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
8.1.8  seeder  Nowhere Man  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.6    5 years ago

By product of creating fuel out of humans, they disposed of it by spraying it out over a wide area...

Basically it's just a waste dump, what do they care about where it lands....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Nowhere Man @8.1.8    5 years ago

Ok. But it looked like it was terraforming or something

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1.10  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.2    5 years ago

Ah, but the most effective one, the one that caused widespread panic, was the original Orson Welles radio broadcast, that caused rules to be created requiring messages that it was not real to be broadcast throughout such programs.

I had read about that (also listened to a taped excerpt). It was probably scarier on the radio than if it had been on TV (?). That might relae to Marshall McLuhan's concept of "hot" vs "cold" media-- but that's a bit off-topic.

Of course some people will believe anything if they see/hear it on the media.

Here's a humorous  TV commercial (for State farm) that incorporates that:

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
10  seeder  Nowhere Man    5 years ago

1984 Threads is now posted in the movie group....

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
11  seeder  Nowhere Man    5 years ago

At Perrie's request, 2018 Annihilation is now up in the movie group......

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
13  seeder  Nowhere Man    5 years ago

Ok,

The day the Earth caught Fire , On the Beach , Day of the Triffids and Fail-Safe ,  have been up two weeks. 

All good things must end some at some point, thank you for viewing....

They will be taken down at 9:00 pm tonight so if anyone wants to watch them, now's the time......

(the links will take you directly to them, in a new window)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Nowhere Man @13    5 years ago

Does your program indicate who viewed the movies, or just the number of viewers?  Because of my ancient computer, or perhaps even the internet here, I can only watch a part at a time, so I start watching qne it will freeze anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes, then later on I find the spot where I was and go for another 20 to 30 minutes.  It could count me for each time. It could be the internet here because sometimes it will go for a longer time before freezing.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
13.1.1  seeder  Nowhere Man  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13.1    5 years ago

No it doesn't.

It only tells me how many times it was streamed......

I will check by starting one up and seeing if it indexes the counter a second time, the first stream is always mine as I check it for proper operation before posting it....

I just ran Annihilation a second time, and yep it indexed the counter again.....

It now has three streams, my two and one other...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Nowhere Man @13.1.1    5 years ago

Unfortunately that's not the best news, since I probably count for a few of the streams when I watch one of your movies.  I don't watch all of them - mostly ones I've not seen before, or ones I liked and have not watched for a very long time.

Although the Movies group has amassed quite a few members, there are probably not that many who are into movies that much, certainly not as much as you and I and I think Trout.