╌>

Meet Another Religious Health System Restricting Reproductive Care

Category:  Mental Health and Wellness

Via:  don-overton  •  5 years ago  •  28 comments

Meet Another Religious Health System Restricting Reproductive Care
Seventh-day Adventist Church policy opposes abortion, assisted suicide, and the "homosexual lifestyle," but approves of contraception, sterilization, and in vitro fertilization.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Rewire.News has reported extensively on the spread of Catholic hospitals, which restrict access to abortion, sterilization, and most contraception, and account for one in six acute-care beds in the United States. But Seventh-day Adventist facilities, which have their own rules on reproductive health care, control a growing swath of the health-care landscape—and their policy arm just opened an office in Washington, D.C.

There are about 90 Adventist hospitals and 350 affiliated provider organizations in the United States, and more than 500 facilities worldwide. These include AdventHealth, the largest nonprofit Protestant health system in the country, and Florida Hospital Orlando, one of the nation’s largest hospitals.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
1  seeder  Don Overton    5 years ago

Amazing these religious sects can  call themselves Christians

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Don Overton @1    5 years ago

I suggest that if you don't like how they run their own hospitals, find another.

Maybe you can find a hospital in your area that atheists banded together to form?

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.1  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    5 years ago

I suggest you pay attention to the article and not snide comments

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Don Overton @1.1.1    5 years ago

So you don't want me to pay attention to your snide comments?

No can do.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
1.1.3  Cerenkov  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.2    5 years ago

It's strange that organized atheists aren't charitable enough to create their own godless hospitals... Selfishness? Greed? Apathy? Hypocrisy! 

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
1.1.4  Phoenyx13  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    5 years ago
Maybe you can find a hospital in your area that atheists banded together to form?

wouldn't that be just a ... regular hospital ? (i mean without the religious affiliation - which many hospitals do exist without religious affiliations)

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
1.1.5  Phoenyx13  replied to  Cerenkov @1.1.3    5 years ago
It's strange that organized atheists aren't charitable enough to create their own godless hospitals

what ? are you saying all hospitals have religious affiliations ? i guess if you aren't saying that then those "godless hospitals" already exist right ? ....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Phoenyx13 @1.1.4    5 years ago

Why, yes, it may well be, but not necessarily so.

A regular hospital (without religious affiliation) may not have a single atheist involved in its formation.

I suggested an atheist hospital because the poster seemed particularly bothered by religiously-affiliated hospitals.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
1.1.7  Phoenyx13  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.6    5 years ago
Why, yes, it may well be, but not necessarily so.

A regular hospital (without religious affiliation) may not have a single atheist involved in its formation.

I suggested an atheist hospital because the poster seemed particularly bothered by religiously-affiliated hospitals.

so you are seriously suggesting that a group of deeply religious people came together to form a hospital with no religious affiliation at all ? .... how would an "atheist" hospital differ from a hospital with no religious affiliation ?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Phoenyx13 @1.1.7    5 years ago

I would assume that an atheist hospital would allow no religion in it whatsoever. A non-religious-affiliated hospital may have a chapel or something which might set the poster off. The poster may be more comfortable with an atheist hospital where he might not be exposed to anything related to religion..

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
1.1.9  Phoenyx13  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.8    5 years ago
I would assume that an atheist hospital would allow no religion in it whatsoever. A non-religious-affiliated hospital may have a chapel or something which might set the poster off. The poster may be more comfortable with an atheist hospital where he might not be exposed to anything related to religion..

so you wouldn't know what an "atheist" hospital would allow, but you assume since an Atheist isn't convinced that God exists - that their hospitals would just ban all religions ? Do you think there would be an "atheist" hospital that would allow religions but wouldn't have a specific space for a specific religion (like a chapel) ?

so what are the hospitals that are just regular hospitals but don't have a chapel or anything like that in them ? are they atheist or what ?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Phoenyx13 @1.1.9    5 years ago
so you wouldn't know what an "atheist" hospital would allow, but you assume since an Atheist isn't convinced that God exists - that their hospitals would just ban all religions ? Do you think there would be an "atheist" hospital that would allow religions but wouldn't have a specific space for a specific religion (like a chapel) ?
so what are the hospitals that are just regular hospitals but don't have a chapel or anything like that in them ? are they atheist or what ?

Mmmmm….don't really know and don't give a shit, really.

Just a suggestion for a poster who appears to have a problem with religiously-affiliated hospitals.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
1.1.11  Phoenyx13  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.10    5 years ago
Mmmmm….don't really know and don't give a shit, really. Just a suggestion for a poster who appears to have a problem with religiously-affiliated hospitals.

ah ok. That explains  a lot . Thanks ! jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  Phoenyx13 @1.1.11    5 years ago
h ok. That explains a lot. Thanks !

Ah, good.

Glad to see you got my point.

Thanks!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2  bbl-1    5 years ago

Religion has nothing to do with this.

Seventh Day Adventists.  They are within their rights to practice their beliefs onto those who are willing.

However, it must not be permitted for the Seventh Day Folk to force their beliefs on those who may not be so willing.

And yet this is but one more reason to 'extricate' the private for profits from America's healthcare.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @2    5 years ago

I don't see where they are forcing their beliefs on anyone.

You may choose to go there or any other hospital you wish.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    5 years ago

"I don't see."  Covers it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1.1    5 years ago
"I don't see." Covers it.

Yep. I'm funny like that. I have always had a hard time, damn near impossible, in fact, of seeing things that aren't there.

What did you see the Seventh Day Adventists force someone to do?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    5 years ago

Comprehend the article.  The implications. 

As far as the Seventh Day folk.  I know several.  They are not bad people at all.  Their perceptions, hopes and fears are...………..just different than mine.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1.3    5 years ago

Well the article is so chock full of facts I don't where to start.

The title says that they restrict reproductive health care, but doesn't say what they do to do that.

Perhaps you know?

What have they done to restrict it?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.6  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1.3    5 years ago

[Deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3  Texan1211    5 years ago

The title seems like an untruth.

I don't see where the hospital is limiting anyone from doing anything.