╌>

Elizabeth Warren Apologizes to Cherokee Nation for DNA Test

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jasper2529  •  5 years ago  •  15 comments

Elizabeth Warren Apologizes to Cherokee Nation for DNA Test
“The chief and secretary of state appreciate that she has reaffirmed that she is not a Cherokee Nation citizen or a citizen of any tribal nation.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Senator Elizabeth Warren, the Massachusetts Democrat who is running for her party’s presidential nomination, has apologized to the Cherokee Nation for   her decision to take a DNA test to prove her Native American ancestry , a move that had angered some tribal leaders and ignited a significant political backlash.

The apology comes as Ms. Warren is set to formally kick off her presidential run this month after recent visits to early nominating states like Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina. It also comes after repeated calls for her to apologize from tribal leaders, political operatives, and her own advisers, who said her October decision to take the DNA test gave undue credence to the controversial claim that race could be determined by blood — and politically, played into President Trump’s hands.

On Thursday, Ms. Warren called Bill John Baker, principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, to apologize for the DNA test, said Julie Hubbard, a spokeswoman for the tribe. She called it a “brief and private” conversation. The apology was   first reported by The Intercept . Ms. Warren’s campaign did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

“I understand that she apologized for causing confusion on tribal sovereignty and tribal citizenship and the harm that has resulted,” Ms. Hubbard said. “The chief and secretary of state appreciate that she has reaffirmed that she is not a Cherokee Nation citizen or a citizen of any tribal nation.”
Advisers close to Ms. Warren said she has privately expressed concern that she may have damaged her relationships to Native American groups and her own standing with activists, particularly those who are racial minorities. However, as recently as December, she rebuffed any calls for an apology.

“I put it out there. It’s on the internet for anybody to see,” Ms. Warren said in an interview. “People can make of it what they will. I’m going to continue fighting on the issues that brought me to Washington.”

On Wednesday, Chuck Hoskin Jr, the secretary of state of the Cherokee Nation, published an opinion column in the Tulsa World titled, “Elizabeth Warren can be a friend, but she isn’t a Cherokee citizen.”

In the column, Mr. Hoskin said Ms. Warren’s test, which her office said showed strong evidence that Ms. Warren has Native American pedigree “6-10 generations ago,” did not take into account that, for most Native Americans, culture and kinship is what creates tribal membership — not blood.

“This concept of family is key to understanding why citizenship matters,” Mr. Hoskin wrote . “That is why it offends us when some of our national leaders seek to ascribe inappropriately membership or citizenship to themselves. They would be welcome to our table as friends, but claiming to be family to gain a spot at the table is unwelcome.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago
The apology is a break from Ms. Warren’s previous public stance, where she refused to admit fault.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Jasper2529 @1    5 years ago

She did not apologise out of any sense of guilt or altruism. She did it solely for the sake of political expediency. She is after all a politician...

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1    5 years ago

Indeed. Her "apology" was very well-timed!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago
“The chief and secretary of state appreciate that she has reaffirmed that she is not a Cherokee Nation citizen or a citizen of any tribal nation.”

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago
Warren, who was born and grew up in Oklahoma, had for decades claimed to have Native American heritage. But it wasn’t until her successful 2012 campaign for the U.S. Senate in Massachusetts that she revealed she had claimed minority status at universities where she worked. The controversy became an issue in her race against Republican incumbent Scott Brown.
The DNA results also fueled claims by Republican critics that she used a trace amount of Native American heritage to advance her academic career.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    5 years ago

I think she really just needs to stop talking about it. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @4    5 years ago

Maybe she will, when we stop talking about it, lol

charger 383
Professor Silent
5  charger 383    5 years ago

I'm still going to keep calling my Jeep Elizabeth Warren because it is white and says Cherokee on side

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  charger 383 @5    5 years ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif