╌>

Outlawing Late Abortion Seemed Like Such a Reasonable Idea Until I Needed One Myself

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sandy-2021492  •  5 years ago  •  19 comments

Outlawing Late Abortion Seemed Like Such a Reasonable Idea Until I Needed One Myself

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Before I found myself in this dire position, I never understood the need for third trimester abortion. In my naivety, I did not realize that extreme actions are inspired by extreme circumstances. Good people in hard times must do hard things. Government interference, like abortion bans, makes hard situations worse, forcing families to greater extremes. Care becomes dangerous, and tragedy is compounded. Women and families in these devastatingly complex situations need trust and support, and that’s why organizations like NARAL fight for families like mine

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1  seeder  sandy-2021492    5 years ago
The neurologist delivered more bad news: additional brain anomalies. My little daughter would likely never walk, talk, swallow, or support the weight of her head. She would require brain surgery to extend her life, but no surgery could ever cure her.

“What can she do?” I asked. “Does a child like mine just sleep all day?”

He winced at the question. “Children like yours are not generally comfortable enough to sleep.”

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

Of course, this is the exception for late term abortions. Per the abortion supporting, Guttmacher Institute, late term abortion are performed for substantially the same reasons as early abortions, and not for mother's health or fetal abnormality. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  sandy-2021492  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    5 years ago
Guttmacher Institute

Odd.  The only study I found reported by the Guttmacher Institute excluded data about women whose fetuses had abnormalities.  I'd say it's hard to make a definitive statement about data that was purposely excluded.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1    5 years ago

Here's a direct quote: 

"But data suggest that most women seeking later terminations are not doing so for reasons of fetal anomaly or life endangerment."

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.2  seeder  sandy-2021492  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.1    5 years ago

Yeah, that's the one I found.

Our study has several important limitations. Our data are limited by the exclusion of women who sought later abortions on grounds of fetal anomaly or life endangerment. Because of waiting time for testing and diagnosis, delay in seeking care among that population likely differs significantly from the delays faced by women in our study. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.1    5 years ago
"But data suggest that most women seeking later terminations are not doing so for reasons of fetal anomaly or life endangerment."

That is not the same as saying "late term abortion are performed for substantially the same reasons as early abortions...."

Late term abortions may be sought out, but that doesn't mean they are being performed. Big difference.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.3    5 years ago
ate term abortions may be sought out, but that doesn't mean they are being performed.

Actually, yes it does.  Please read the literature. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.5  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.4    5 years ago
Actually, yes it does.  Please read the literature. 

Please point it out.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    5 years ago
Per the abortion supporting, Guttmacher Institute, late term abortion are performed for substantially the same reasons as early abortions, and not for mother's health or fetal abnormality. 

Cite the source! According to the Guttmacher Institute , most states do not allow late term abortions unless the woman's health or life is at stake.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3  Raven Wing    5 years ago

It is always easy for others to say what is right or wrong when it is not their body, or not their child. IMHO, it is not their business to tell others what they should or should not do with their own body, or in situations that does not involve their own child when they do not know all the facts, or even if they do, because of their own religious beliefs.

The only one who has the right to judge is a far higher authority than anyone here on earth. So those who choose to sit in judgement of others are even far more wrong than those they choose to judge.

Just my own opinion.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1  Gordy327  replied to  Raven Wing @3    5 years ago
it is not their business to tell others what they should or should not do with their own body, or in situations that does not involve their own child when they do not know all the facts, or even if they do, because of their own religious beliefs.

EXACTLY! jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

charger 383
Professor Silent
4  charger 383    5 years ago

there is no need for laws on abortion

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5  bbl-1    5 years ago

Conservatism wants to control everything.   Tolerate ( it ) at your peril.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6  Freefaller    5 years ago

Fortunately for the majority of those around here who support outlawing or applying more restrictive government supervision they will never need one, which means they can continue to preach their anti-freedom silliness from their pulpits

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Personally knowing a case like this, I totally get it. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
8  1stwarrior    5 years ago

WHAT DO DOCTORS SAY ABOUT LATE- AND FULL-TERM ABORTIONS?

Dr. Lawrence K. Koning: “As an Ob/Gyn physician for 31 years, there is no medical situation that requires aborting/killing the baby in the third trimester to save the mother’s life. Just deliver the baby by c/section and the baby has 95+% survival with readily available NICU care even at 28 weeks. C/sections is quicker and safer than partial birth abortion for the mother.”

Dr. Omar L. Hamada: “I want to clear something up so that there is absolutely no doubt. I’m a board certified ob/gyn who has delivered over 2,500 babies. There’s not a single fetal or maternal condition that requires third trimester abortion. Not one. Delivery, yes. Abortion, no.”

Dr. David Mcknight: “As a board-certified practicing ob/gyn for over 30 years, I need to say publicly and unequivocally, that there is NEVER a medical reason to kill a baby at term. When complications of pregnancy endanger a mother’s life, we sometimes must deliver the baby early, but it is ALWAYS with the intent of doing whatever we can to do it safely for the baby too. The decision to kill an unborn baby at term is purely for convenience. It is murder . . . God help us.”

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1  seeder  sandy-2021492  replied to  1stwarrior @8    5 years ago

So, the woman in the seeded article wasn't carrying a fetus with a severe abnormality?  Her doctors lied to her?

Alyson Draper, a 40-year-old Mormon woman, is one of the eighty percent of women who have later term abortions because the fetus has birth impairments. She shared her   story   of “the most wanted and planned pregnancy ever,” because she desperately wanted people to understand that her experience was not at all what Trump described:

I had to have a late term abortion. It was the worst moment in my life. What made it even worse was the State of Utah had made it illegal.

I had one dead twin. The other had severe Spina Bifida. It was so bad that his brain had developed outside his head, and his spine was open clear to the lumbar level. There was ZERO hope, and no medical miracle that could save him. Our dreams were shattered. These twins were from IVF. I was forty, and there would be no more pregnancies.
Draper needed a late-term abortion not only because of these circumstances, but also because her own life was at risk. Abortions to protect the health of the mother usually involve precarious situations, when a woman has a life-threatening condition like heart failure, lupus, or an infection in the uterus.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1    5 years ago

It's also used when a mother is at high risk for DIC a condition that causes the mother to bleed out. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8.1.1    5 years ago
that causes the mother to bleed out. 

As we all know, bleeding is bad. No bleeding is best.