╌>

Trail runner who choked Colorado cougar to death 'used hands, feet,' wildlife official tells TV station

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  freefaller  •  5 years ago  •  8 comments

Trail runner who choked Colorado cougar to death 'used hands, feet,' wildlife official tells TV station

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

FORT COLLINS, Colo. – Horsetooth Mountain Park will remain closed through Friday following an attack on a trail runner by a mountain lion, wildlife officials say. The runner, who has been released from a local hospital, choked the cougar to death .

a8a064.gif

Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials said Tuesday the mountain lion was less than a year old and weighed less than 100 pounds. 

The runner, who has not yet been publicly identified, had puncture wounds and lacerations but is doing well and recovering from his wounds. According to  Larimer County Natural Resources , he has been released from the hospital.

The mountain lion tested negative for rabies, but other diseases have not yet been ruled out because CPW has not yet completed its investigation.

Larimer County issued a release Tuesday that said the park will be closed until rangers can reassess the situation Friday along with CPW officers.

"We want to allow for a cooling off period before reopening Horsetooth Mountain Open Space," said Ken Brink Jr., visitor services manager for Larimer County Department of Natural Resources. "We are approaching this situation with an abundance of caution for the safety of our visitors."

The park had reopened Monday evening after the scene was evaluated by state wildlife experts and Larimer County rangers and the mountain lion was found dead. But county rangers encountered additional mountain lion activity in the area after stepping up patrols Tuesday and decided to shut down the park later that afternoon.

"We'll reopen Horsetooth Mountain when we’ve had more time to assess mountain lion activity in the area with our partners at CPW,'' Brinks said.

Tara Radcliffe, who lives near the park and runs in the park regularly, said she ran in the park Monday after the incident took place and when she was finishing her run, she noticed the trails were closed. She ran Tuesday morning and said the parking lot and trails were open.

“I passed several people (Tuesday) on the run down, and everyone I saw asked if I saw anything,'' she said. "People are probably a little paranoid. ... It’s a little more eerie than usual up here."

Ty Petersburg, CPW wildlife manager, told KUSA-TV in Denver the man did everything the agency asks people to : He put his hands in the air, made a lot of noise and stood his ground.

"At that point, it was kind of a fight for survival between him and lion," Petersburg told the station. "The lion was upon his upper body and the man was able to fight the animal off and kill it at the end of it in self-defense, and then get himself off the trail into a car.

"(The man) didn't have any weapons ... He was really creative. He used his hands, feet — things that were around him, and really it was just a fight for survival."

CPW officials confirmed the man's account of the attack through their investigation and examining the juvenile mountain lion.

The runner told officials he heard something behind him on the trail and as he turned, he was attacked. He said he was bitten on his face and wrist but was able to fight and break free from the lion.

Wildlife officers found the mountain lion dead near where the incident took place while looking for items the runner asked them to look for along on the trail. 

"In the event of a lion attack, you need to do anything in your power to fight back just as this gentleman did,'' said Mark Leslie, CPW's Northeast Region manager.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Freefaller    5 years ago
The lion was upon his upper body and the man was able to fight the animal off and kill it

Admittedly the lion was young, small and inexperienced, but still excellent survival instincts by the runner

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  Freefaller @1    5 years ago
Admittedly the lion was young, small and inexperienced.....

Probably the only thing that saved the runners life...... A full grown adult, much less likely.....

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1    5 years ago

Agreed much less likely and a grown experienced lion would probably have pounced without the runner seeing it first

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

What a harrowing tale. I have to agree that he was lucky that the lion was small and smart to fight back. I happy ending for the runner... no so much for the lion. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    5 years ago
no so much for the lion. 

Yep it'd been so much better if things had gone differently

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
3  Old Hermit    5 years ago

Kudos to the runner for surviving his ordeal but come on the cat was only a hundred pounds and he did have both hands. (snark)

Now a REAL Man is one who takes on a full grown leopard, bare handed, only weeks after having his right arm blown off at the elbow while he was dynamite fishing in order to help feed some starving villagers in Africa. 

Badass Of the Week, Jean - Pierre Hallet

hallet.jpg

By his own count, Hallet survived nineteen near-death experiences during his epic life, including one time he was captured by AK-47 toting rebels during the Congo War and ended up convincing them to let him go.

The most badass of these NDEs, however, involves the time he was dynamite fishing in Lake Tanganyika, blew himself up, and then almost got eaten by crocodiles.

Yes, you read that correctly.

Hallet had been fishing at the lake for a while in an effort to help provide much-needed food to a starving local tribe that had been hit hard by a nasty drought, when suddenly a double-stick of TNT fucking blew off his right arm at the elbow, disintegrated his boat, and dumped him in croc-infested waters.

Losing blood by the pint and surrounded by man-eating creatures well known for their propensity to sense such substances when they are present in the water, Hallet somehow swam all the way back to shore, walked a mile through the fucking Congo to get back to his truck, and fashioned a makeshift tourniquet using just his teeth and his off-hand. But the danger still wasn't over – Hallet was still high in the mountains and the park gates were closing soon, so this guy friggin' floored it and hauled ass 200 miles down a narrow, unpaved mountain road, steering with one arm and holding onto consciousness despite losing blood from dozens of shrapnel wounds.

He survived, made it to the nearest hospital, lived through surgery, and would eventually be fitted for a prosthetic Luke Skywalker-style replacement (though apparently decided that was "for pussies" and never wore it).

IMG_0074.jpg

Just a few months after this harrowing experience, Hallet and some buddies were walking through the jungle when all of a sudden out of nowhere a HUGE FUCKING LEOPARD came flying out of nowhere and mauled the shit out of one of his friends.

Hallet, being a completely balls-out hardass, did the only rational thing that came into his head, which of course was to RUN OVER AND JUMP ON THE THING'S BACK. With only one good arm, and presumably still week from the insane amount of surgery he had gone through just a few weeks previously, Jean-Pierre Hallet somehow wrestled the leopard off the dude, manhandled the massive beast the ground, and rolled around with this apex predator in an epic struggle that lasted nearly ten minutes.

None of Hallet's buddies were badass/insane enough to jump in, but one guy helpfully flung a hunting knife vaguely in the adventurer's direction, so Hallet crawled his way over to the thing (while simultaneously avoiding the gigantic claws of a 500-pound leopard), pressed his stump arm against the creature's neck to keep it from biting him, and then stabbed it with his left hand, killing it.

Sorry Freefaller, I know my post is a bit off topic but I couldn't help myself.

Your story reminded me of one of my real life heroes, one that I discovered when I did a book report on his auto-biographical, "Congo Kitabu" , back in High School.

Thought I'd share the memory your seed brought back up.  If it's too far off base fell free to delete.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Old Hermit @3    5 years ago
Sorry Freefaller, I know my post is a bit off topic but I couldn't help myself.

No problem Arkansas I enjoyed the story and lol Mr Hallet is imo the very definition of "balls out"

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4  seeder  Freefaller    5 years ago
The necropsy performed by Colorado Parks and Wildlife veterinarians in Fort Collins identified the lion as a "kitten'' with a weight of 24 pounds. However, the animal was heavily scavenged and officials estimated the animal's live weight was 35 to 40 pounds. The report listed the animal in "fair condition'' with no diseases noted.

Well that take some of the oomph out of the original story