╌>

Amazon's Jeff Bezos accuses National Enquirer owner of 'extortion and blackmail'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  47 comments

Amazon's Jeff Bezos accuses National Enquirer owner of 'extortion and blackmail'
Emails published by Bezos appear to show that the tabloid publisher threatened to publish embarrassing photos if Washington Post owner didn't back off an investigation.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos accused the National Enquirer’s parent company, American Media Inc., of “extortion and blackmail” on Thursday for threatening to publish scandalous photos of him and his girlfriend if he didn’t drop an investigation into how the tabloid obtained text messages exposing his extra-marital affair.

According to the emails that Bezos published, which have not been independently reviewed by NBC News, AMI threatened to publish texts from Bezos and his girlfriend, Lauren Sanchez, that included photos of a sexual nature. In exchange for withholding the photos, AMI demanded that Bezos stop the Washington Post, which he owns, from reporting about political motivations behind the National Enquirer's initial reports about his relationship with the former TV anchor.

"If in my position I can’t stand up to this kind of extortion, how many people can?" Bezos   wrote on the blogging website Medium   of one letter in which an AMI representative detailed embarrassing photos and texts that the tabloid planned to publish revealing his relationship with Sanchez.

David Pecker, CEO of AMI, which owns National Enquirer, and President Donald Trump are known to be friends, and Pecker has been accused of buying controversial stories about Trump to keep them private.

A spokesperson for AMI declined to comment. Bezos' verified Twitter account sent out a link to the post. An Amazon spokesperson confirmed the authenticity of the blog post.

“These communications cement AMI’s long-earned reputation for weaponizing journalistic privileges, hiding behind important protections, and ignoring the tenets and purpose of true journalism,” Bezos wrote.

The blog post, published late Thursday afternoon, contained emails that Bezos said were from Dylan Howard, AMI’s chief content officer, and Jon Fine, AMI’s deputy general counsel.

Howard’s email, dated Feb. 5 and sent to Martin Singer, a lawyer for an investigator hired by Bezos, laid out in detail the 10 photos that AMI claimed to have of Bezos and Sanchez, including what Howard called a “below the belt selfie.”

Fine’s email laid out “proposed terms” for a deal to keep the photos out of the press, which included Bezos and his investigator publicly stating that AMI’s coverage was not politically motivated.

Bezos claimed that these emails proved that AMI sought to extort him.

“Of course I don’t want personal photos published, but I also won’t participate in their well-known practice of blackmail, political favors, political attacks, and corruption,” Bezos wrote. “I prefer to stand up, roll this log over, and see what crawls out.”

Bezos, the world’s richest man with a net worth of   roughly $136 billion , has been at the center of a highly publicized divorce from his wife, MacKenzie Bezos, that he   announced on Jan. 9 . Later that day, the National Enquirer published an article alleging that Bezos had begun a relationship with Sanchez, the wife of a Hollywood talent agent.

In the next two weeks, the tabloid published a series of stories about Bezos that included his texts with Sanchez. Shortly thereafter,   The Daily Beast reported   that Bezos had launched an investigation into how the tabloid acquired those texts. On Tuesday,   The Washington Post reported   that Bezos’ investigation had found reason to believe the leak to be politically motivated.

The Washington Post has reported critically about Trump and extensively covered the ongoing investigations into his presidential campaign and administration. In response, Trump has repeatedly lashed out at the Post and Bezos, alleging that the Amazon CEO was using the paper for political purposes.

Pecker’s political connections to Trump generated some suspicion that National Enquirer’s investigation of Bezos had political underpinnings. Pecker’s connection to Trump has been the subject of extensive reporting as well as an investigation from federal prosecutors,   who granted Pecker immunity   in their investigation into Michael Cohen, Trump’s former personal lawyer.

Chip Stewart, professor of journalism at Texas Christian University in Fort Worth, Texas, said that if the emails are authentic, Bezos’ case that AMI committed extortion would be strong — and strengthened further if AMI publishes the photos in response.

“I think it would make the case that they’re engaging in extortion even stronger,” Stewart said of the prospect of AMI publishing the photos. “If they want to wind up with an even longer jail sentence, they should go ahead and do that.”

Watch the video at the seeded content

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

How far is too far? Do public figures have the right to privacy? Does the press have the right to publish anything?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

This goes well beyond freedom of the press. This is extortion, and from what I understand in violation of AMI's agreement with the SDNY to keep themselves out of court with respect to the Karen McDugal/Stormy Daniels payoffs.   

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1    5 years ago

This is what Bezos is accusing AMI and, the National Enquirer of, which if it can be proven in a court would indeed kill the deal with Mueller. Of course, it isn't the first time for the National Enquirer to be sued in court, the most famous of their law suits that I can remember is the one where Carol Burnett sued them for liable and, won.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1    5 years ago
in violation of AMI's agreement with the SDNY to keep themselves out of court with respect to the Karen McDugal/Stormy Daniels payoffs.   

Good point. I didn't think about that. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1.1    5 years ago
if it can be proven in a court would indeed kill the deal with Mueller. 

Again, another good point. Seems the plot thickens. 

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.2  katrix  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

Bezos doesn't have the right to privacy, IMO, but this is illegal.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  katrix @1.2    5 years ago
Bezos doesn't have the right to privacy,

So do you feel that public figures have no privacy rights? Is it part of what they do? (inquiring minds want to know, LOL)

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.1    5 years ago
(inquiring minds want to know, LOL)

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.2.3  katrix  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.1    5 years ago

Well, when it comes to things like what is printed, courts have determined that public figures don't have the same right to privacy as a regular citizen. 

Although I suppose it would depend on what the photos contained, since nude photos are different than written words.

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
1.2.4  Steve Ott  replied to  katrix @1.2    5 years ago

Either every individual has a right to privacy or no individual has a right to privacy. By what criteria do you choose who has a right ( whatever that right) or does not have a right?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

The National Enquirer may not survive this.       Remember Gawker?      Bezos has the means, and evidently the facts on his side, to put the Enquirer out of business.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.3.1  katrix  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3    5 years ago
Remember Gawker?      Bezos has the means, and evidently the facts on his side, to put the Enquirer out of business

Good point.  I would love it if that rag was forced to shut down.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.3.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  katrix @1.3.1    5 years ago

Great point John. Totally forgot about that. I wouldn't cry if Bezos buried them. Their sole purpose seems to be making money off of other people's misery, true or not.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I have Stephanie Ruhle show on right now, and she has a guest from the media who says this is going to be one of the biggest stories of 2019.

If AMI has committed a crime regarding Bezos, David Pecker is in violation of his co-operation agreement with the federal prosecutors. Becker is tight with the Trump family and Bezos is a major enemy of the Trump family. When they pull the threads on this something ugly may unravel.

Saudi Arabia and the murder of the journalist may play into this all as well.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago
Saudi Arabia and the murder of the journalist may play into this all as well.

Actually, one of the things that AMI wanted was for Bezos to kill the story on the Kashoggi's murder.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago

Paybacks are a bitch.

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    5 years ago

Trump's America is a Swampy Swampier Swampiest Swamp Swamp Swamp...

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  JBB @4    5 years ago

David Pecker, CEO of AMI, which owns National Enquirer, and President Donald Trump are known to be friends, and Pecker has been accused of buying controversial stories about Trump to keep them private."

quite possibly,

cause all Dicky Tricky Trumppys' friends

R

Peckers !

When all of this tangled fckn mess is unraveled and revealed its' gonna make watergate look like a cabbage patch picnic

with 

Extra Antz 

with so many left having to scream Uncle

Festering till the lights go out

screwed

like the ones he can't here in his ears

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4.1    5 years ago

A remark in general: OH BROTHER! This is a bigger mess than I realized.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.1    5 years ago
OH BROTHER! This is a bigger mess than I realized.

i hear ya SISTER, but are 

you referring to moi',

or the sassy Soap Opera that our "rea;ity' has somehow become ?

either neither way,

igknorantzrulz,

and it's a damn shame !

Iamak47
Freshman Silent
5  Iamak47    5 years ago
In response, Trump has repeatedly lashed out at the Post and Bezos, alleging that the Amazon CEO was using the paper for political purposes.

I wonder if Elizabeth Warren agrees with Trump in this regard.  Looks like WaPo has essentially ended her 2020 Presidential bid.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Iamak47 @5    5 years ago

What the WaPo did was report what needed to be reported. Warren can spin this any way she likes, but she did do, what she said she didn't do. Now whether or not putting that on her state license advanced her in some way, is up for debate, but she did misrepresent herself. 

Iamak47
Freshman Silent
5.1.1  Iamak47  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1    5 years ago

I don’t disagree.  I just wonder if WaPo’s motivation was purely altruistic.  Warren’s proposed wealth tax will cost Bezos about $4 Billion and he has a platform to exert a tremendous amount of influence.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

I am currently drumming my fingers on my desk just waiting for the next shoe to drop

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Trout Giggles @6    5 years ago

youre allowed

to work barefoot...

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  igknorantzrulz @6.1    5 years ago
youre allowed to work barefoot...

Trout is not loud and,

she doesn't have bears feet.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.1.1    5 years ago

You haven't seen me when I drink

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.1.3  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.2    5 years ago
You haven't seen me when I drink

You have bears feet when you drink? jrSmiley_25_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.1.3    5 years ago

LOL!

Why, yes. Yes, I do

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.1.5  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.4    5 years ago

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @6    5 years ago
I am currently drumming my fingers on my desk just waiting for the next shoe to drop

It does feel that way. And I have to say, that when I posted this, I was just thinking about privacy issues. I never thought of all these other complications. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
8  Enoch    5 years ago

Dear Friends FLYNAVY! and Galen Marvin Ross: According to Rachel Maddow last night, the September 18, 2018 deal between Muller, the Southern District Court, the Justice Department and David Pecker for Pecker AMI and the National Enquirer in part stipulate that Pecker et al only get to keep immunity granted if they abstain from ANY illegal action, related or unrelated to Mueller and the SDC's investigations for his assistance in their work.  

Ms. Maddow is most probably correct in assessing that Mr. Pecker and his conglomerate are "apoplectic" about the evidence of extortion being published by Mr. Bezos. For good cause.

Never a dull moment, right? 

E. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Enoch @8    5 years ago
Never a dull moment, right?

Dear Friend Enoch, it is indeed getting interesting, deserving of popcorn.

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
10  Steve Ott    5 years ago

How ironic that Bezos is upset about surveillance, even as Amazon touts its own surveillance software and systems. Apparently what's good for the goose isn't good for the gander.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
11  pat wilson    5 years ago

I keep thinking we are going to reach the bottom of this societal abyss but it's all day, everyday, no end in sight.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  pat wilson @11    5 years ago

I know the feeling.... it seems like a bottomless pit.