╌>

Authorities seize record-setting 1.7 tons of meth worth $1.29 billion at Los Angeles port

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  15 comments

Authorities seize record-setting 1.7 tons of meth worth $1.29 billion at Los Angeles port
CBP announced largest-ever fentanyl bust Jan 31. Two days later 3,500 pounds of marijuana & 220 pounds of meth were seized at another border checkpoint.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

PHOTO: Customs and Border Protection agents discovered methamphetamine hidden in speakers at the Long Beach seaport in mid-January. (U.S. Customs and Border Protection)

A joint drug bust between Australian and U.S. authorities in mid-January resulted in a record 1.7 tons of methamphetamine being seized at Los Angeles/Long Beach seaport.

In addition to the 3,810 pounds of meth, the shipment also contained 55.9 pounds of cocaine and 11.5 pounds of heroin. The bust was the largest amount of methamphetamine ever seized in the United States, according to police.

The bust is the third major seizure announced by U.S. authorities in a matter of weeks.

CBP announced the largest-ever fentanyl bust on Jan. 31. Authorities seized 254 pounds of fentanyl, a powerful opioid, worth about $3.5 million at the Nogales Port of Entry in Arizona.

Just two days later, the Maricopa, Arizona, County Sheriff's Office announced they had seized 3,500 pounds of marijuana and over 220 pounds of meth near Gila Bend when two trucks swerved around a border patrol check and tried to elude authorities in a desert chase.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

The bust was the largest amount of methamphetamine ever seized in the United States, according to police.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Krishna @1    5 years ago

When I first saw the photo before reading the headline I thought "Is that a head in a box?". After reading the headline I thought "It's a meth-head!"...

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Krishna @1    5 years ago

but, but, butt, the wall...........

we need a wall.....

please?

/s

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

The bust is the third major seizure announced by U.S. authorities in a matter of weeks.

CBP announced the largest-ever fentanyl bust on Jan. 31. Authorities seized 254 pounds of fentanyl, a powerful opioid, worth about $3.5 million at the Nogales Port of Entry in Arizona.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Just two days later, the Maricopa, Arizona, County Sheriff's Office announced they had seized 3,500 pounds of marijuana and over 220 pounds of meth near Gila Bend when two trucks swerved around a border patrol check and tried to elude authorities in a desert chase.

Wow-- they are sending us an incredible amount of drugs!

Maybe Trump is right after all-- a Wall would've prevented this! 

(Maybe we do need a Wall on the mexican border after all!!!

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     5 years ago

The latest were drugs being exported from the US to Australia...

I guess ''good catch'' is an understatement.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Way to go!!!  I wonder how many American lives could have been destroyed had that bust not happened.  Although I support the legalization of marijuana, meth destroys people's lives.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    5 years ago

On this bust it was the Australians that were saved Buzz. The meth was being exported from the US to Australia.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @6.1    5 years ago

Oh, that's a horse of a different colour.  (sorry, I just finished carrying forward A.Mac's horse words that started with your photos). 

Change my comment to "Australian lives could have been destroyed".  Maybe finding and destroying the meth factories in the USA could be a better solution than just stopping its export.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @6.1    5 years ago

On this bust it was the Australians that were saved Buzz. The meth was being exported from the US to Australia.

Yes, this wasn't a case of drugs being smuggled into the U.S. but rather an attempt to smuggle them out of the U.S.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.1    5 years ago

Maybe finding and destroying the meth factories in the USA could be a better solution than just stopping its export.

I'm sure they are trying to do that but apparently its pretty easy to make. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.4  Tacos!  replied to  Kavika @6.1    5 years ago
The meth was being exported from the US to Australia.

That makes me sad, but I'm glad we stopped the shipment.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    5 years ago
Australian officials said the total street value of the haul was $1.29 billion.

Hell, we should be having drug lords pay for the freaking wall. Apparently, they can afford it.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    5 years ago

I know some people are very libertarian about drugs, and the war on drugs has been very expensive and frustrating. But meth is one of those things, I would hope we could all agree needs to be stamped out 100%.