╌>

Phil Robertson: 10 lies the devil is using to 'destroy' America

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  donald-trump-fan1  •  5 years ago  •  127 comments

Phil Robertson: 10 lies the devil is using to 'destroy' America
In the interview, Robertson explained that he was inspired to write the book after witnessing how prevalent issues of drug addiction and sexually transmitted diseases are in today’s American society. Robertson said he fears that United States — as it backs away from its founding on “Judeo-Christian principles”— will one day dissolve because God could leave the country to wallow in its own wickedness. “I hope America won’t be like the Roman Empire,” Robertson said

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

“Duck Dynasty” star Phil Robertson has come out with a new book that aims to “blow the lid off the lies that are destroying” America.

The conservative Christian reality TV star spoke with The Christian Post to talk about the book and how coming to Christ at age 28 helped him leave his sinful life in the past. 

The 72-year-old patriarch of A&E's hit reality series and the co-owner of the Duck Commander Company released his new title The Theft of America’s Soul   on Tuesday.

The book purports to expose what he says are 10 essential deceptions and schemes being used by the devil to “steal, kill and destroy America’s soul.” The new book also shares what Robertson calls 10 counter-truths to those lies.

134686_w_725.jpeg

In the interview, Robertson explained that he was inspired to write the book after witnessing how prevalent issues of drug addiction and sexually transmitted diseases are in today’s American society.   

Robertson said he fears that United States — as it backs away from its founding on “Judeo-Christian principles”— will one day dissolve because God could leave the country to wallow in its own wickedness.

“I hope America won’t be like the Roman Empire,” Robertson said as he proceeded to quote Romans 1:28: “Since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, God gave them over to a depraved mind to do what ought not to be done.”

Robertson said the idea of the book is simple: to get people to embrace living a godly life and to get them to love God and love their neighbor.

“You go out and get a job and you work and you feed your family. You are the father and you have a mother and you raise your children and you teach them, correct them and rebuke and them and train them,” said Robertson after noting how millions of Americans are suffering from some type of drug addiction that has left them hopeless.

“We have lost that in America across the board and we are looking at the results of it. I am just trying to remind people that if we keep this up, this whole things is going to fall down upon us.”

The 10 “lies” being used to “destroy” America that Robertson highlighted in the book are:

-God is dead

-There is no devil

-The truth is relative

-God did not create life

-Sex is for self-gratification

-Virtue is outdated

-Laws can be ignored or changed if they are inconvenient

-Unity is not possible

-Church participation and day-to-day life should be kept separate

-Christians should shut their traps

When asked about the lie of sex being for self-gratification, Robertson noted that the Centers for Disease Control has reported that there are as many as 110 million sexually transmitted infections in the United States.

As STD rates continue to rise to record levels, Robertson believes that this is because too many people are not following God’s design for their lives.

“I am just trying to gear people toward the safe way of one-man-one-woman [marriage]. We are not going to sleep around and we are going to keep our sex between each other and no one will ever catch a sexually transmitted disease from that formation,” Robertson contended. “Why is it that sexually transmitted diseases follow immoral conduct? Well, the writer of Romans, the Apostle Paul, said that it's God’s wrath. He is saying to you, ‘Don't do that.’”

Robertson was also critical of the many Christians who feel like their faith can be lived out just by going to church on Sundays.

Robertson, who has baptized hundreds of people in a river near his Louisiana home, asserts that Christians are not to keep their mouths shut in the public square but rather are supposed to live out their faith in a 24/7 fashion.

“They misunderstand Christianity. The American model is build a [church] building and everybody goes up there at least one time a week,” he said.

However, Romans 12 says something different.

“If you think about it, the biblical outline of worship is ‘in view of God’s mercy, offer your body as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God, which is your spiritual act of worship,” Robertson paraphrased.

“Biblically, [faith is more than just] going to church one day a week and calling it a wrap and worship is over. There is 168 hours a week. So if you went to church for a couple hours [on Sunday], there is another 166 hours of what are you doing? It has to be a 24/7-type thing.”

Robertson admits, however, that he was not always a professing Christian and didn’t always follow God’s design for his life. In fact, he said, there was a time he could barely tell Jesus apart from a “billy goat.”

“I used to get drunk, get high, get laid,” Robertson admitted. “I was immoral.”

Robertson said he began “investigating” God at the age of 28 in the mid-1970s.

“When I read about him, I said, ‘Goodness, there is a way out of here alive,’” Robertson recalled. “I repented and since that time, as amazing as it sounds, now here I am as a multimillionaire if that means anything. How in the world did you go from a nobody and do what you do now? I put my faith in God and I did not waver and I left my life of sin and good things came out. It was either luck or what God said all along.”

Robertson said he was driven to look for a deeper purpose in life because, at the time, he felt as if he was as “dog chasing his tail.”

“So I repented and got on my knees before God for the first time. I am 72, so I have been at this for about 44 years now,” he said. “The more I have studied about God and the more I read my Bible, I realized that this is true and really happening. There is a way out of here alive.”

Robertson’s book has drawn some criticism. Publisher’s Weekly criticized Robertson for what was deemed “excessive use of religious rhetoric.” In its review, the outlet argued that the book suffered from a “lack of nuance [that] will turn off many readers.”

At the time Robertson responded in a statement saying the review was what he “hoped for.”

“Our struggle is not against flesh and blood. It is the one in them, the evil one were the friction comes,” Robertson told CP when asked about the review. “The Bible says repeatedly, ‘everyone who lives a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.’ So Jesus said to jump for joy and be happy when people hate you, when they exclude you or insult you or reject your name as evil because of Him. We can take a little flak from time to time. We just smile and we love them and we go on.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    5 years ago

““You go out and get a job and you work and you feed your family. You are the father and you have a mother and you raise your children and you teach them, correct them and rebuke and them and train them,” said Robertson after noting how millions of Americans are suffering from some type of drug addiction that has left them hopeless.

“We have lost that in America across the board and we are looking at the results of it. I am just trying to remind people that if we keep this up, this whole things is going to fall down upon us.”

The 10 “lies” being used to “destroy” America that Robertson highlighted in the book are:

-God is dead

-There is no devil

-The truth is relative

-God did not create life

-Virtue is outdated

-Unity is not possible

-Christians should shut their traps”

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    5 years ago

The first two and the last two are very important and absolutely 100% right on.  

lady in black
Professor Quiet
1.2  lady in black  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    5 years ago

Who gives a flying shit what some old geezer who was on a fake reality show opines.  

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.2.1  pat wilson  replied to  lady in black @1.2    5 years ago

Ya, his new book is just "hey, look at me, I'm still here". Because his reality career died two years ago. He's a fraud. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Ender  replied to  pat wilson @1.2.1    5 years ago

Not making the money he use to. Probably needs some more and thought, what can I do? I know, write a crappy book and sell it to the gullible.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  lady in black @1.2    5 years ago

You cared enough to reply to a seed about his opinions as expressed in his very fine and right on book.  

lady in black
Professor Quiet
1.2.4  lady in black  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2.3    5 years ago

POS book from someone still trying to hold on to his 15 minutes of fame

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.5  epistte  replied to  pat wilson @1.2.1    5 years ago
Ya, his new book is just "hey, look at me, I'm still here". Because his reality career died two years ago. He's a fraud. 

I'm torn between believing that this moron actually believes this nonsense or that this is just a book to scam the Trump-loving dipsticks who watched his idiot families reality show because they stopped buying their paraphernalia at Walmart.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.6  Vic Eldred  replied to  pat wilson @1.2.1    5 years ago

A fraud? What about his list of lies. Are they not real points in the minds of our current population?

Nobody can answer?

Just the usual name calling

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.7  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  lady in black @1.2.4    5 years ago

Jealous much?  About the fame and money he has achieved?  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.8  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.6    5 years ago

Exactly.  He’s calling out progressive secular atheists on all their top 10 lies to America point by point and they haven’t bothered to defend a single one.  Just as you said.  

lady in black
Professor Quiet
1.2.9  lady in black  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2.7    5 years ago

No I'm not jealous.  I would not want my life or my families lives out there for any amount of money.  Stop ASSuming you know me personally.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.10  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  lady in black @1.2.9    5 years ago

Why would I assume something that I Hope never happens? 

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.11  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2.8    5 years ago
Exactly.  He’s calling out progressive secular atheists on all their top 10 lies to America point by point and they haven’t bothered to defend a single one.  Just as you said.  

Phil Robertson has only created a strawman army of what he thinks that progressives believe. I suggest that you read before you make sweeping generalizations about the ideas of others.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.2.12  pat wilson  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.6    5 years ago

This is the only reply you will ever get from me. I decided that on the day I read your comment that called for every liberal to be impaled in pikes mounted on the top of the WALL !!!!

What a nasty vicious death wish. You're not worth a second more of my time.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
1.2.13  lady in black  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2.10    5 years ago

That's your whole shtick assuming things you don't have the foggiest notion about.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2.14  Ender  replied to  lady in black @1.2.13    5 years ago

Has anyone noticed that the picture on the article about no God, looks like Phil.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.15  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson @1.2.12    5 years ago

How can I qualify?  

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.16  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2.15    5 years ago
How can I qualify?  

Just say something worthy of a 3 day CoC ban.

I have to wonder why you want to limit who can respond to your threads? 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.2.17  pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2.15    5 years ago

When the phone doesn't ring it's me.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.18  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @1.2.16    5 years ago

Who said anything at all about me wanting to limit who can respond to my seeds?  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.19  Vic Eldred  replied to  pat wilson @1.2.12    5 years ago
This is the only reply you will ever get from me.

Promise?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.20  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.19    5 years ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.21  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2.18    5 years ago
Who said anything at all about me wanting to limit who can respond to my seeds?  

Just this reply, when taken with Pat Wilson's previous reply says exactly that.

How can I qualify?  

charger 383
Professor Silent
1.3  charger 383  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    5 years ago
Laws can be ignored or changed if they are inconvenient

I seem to remember Phil ignoring a few laws in the show;  trespassing,  fishing & game laws, not always wearing seatbelts, zoning laws, OSHA regulations, ect

charger 383
Professor Silent
1.4  charger 383  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    5 years ago

The truth is relative

He lied to family members about having permission to fish in the Judge's pond and he sneaked away and let them face the Game Warden

I remember a few things from watching the show, which I did enjoy 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    5 years ago
-God is dead

He would have to exist to be dead.  Therefore he is neither dead or alive.

-There is no devil

Correct, another fictional construct to terrify the ignorant into following orders.

-The truth is relative

The truth is not relative, and the Bible flaunts it's untruths freely.

-God did not create life

God is fictional, so of course he did not.

And it is just plain FUN!!!

-Virtue is outdated

It is also undefined in this context.

That's called a secular government with a living Constitution.

-Unity is not possible

Better tell my wife that our unity never happened.

Kept separate from a person's life?  Couldn't agree more.

-Christians should shut their traps”

Please, PLease, PLEase, PLEAse, PLEASe, PLEASE, PLEASE obey this one!!!

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    5 years ago
Sex is for self-gratification

It's not? Guess I have been doing it wrong. How does one make it not satisfying....

Even if one is having sex just for children, would even that be self gratification? Seems like it to me.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
3.1  MonsterMash  replied to  Ender @3    5 years ago
Sex is for self-gratification

Phil should have left that one off his list unless he stopped having sex after his last child was born.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  lady in black  replied to  MonsterMash @3.1    5 years ago

That is one thing I agree with.  

Do people honestly think when a woman is beyond child bearing years they stop having sex.  So yes, sex is for gratification.  Even in child bearing years sex is NOT just for procreation.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
3.1.2  MonsterMash  replied to  lady in black @3.1.1    5 years ago
Even in child bearing years sex is NOT just for procreation.

I'm the same age as Phil Robertson (72) you can rest assured I'm not having sex for procreation.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Ender  replied to  Release The Kraken @3.1.3    5 years ago

The sexual revolution was sixty years ago. I think Phil missed the bus.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MonsterMash @3.1    5 years ago

All sex outside of that of a committed one man one woman marriage relationship is for self gratification.  A male and female both virgins at marriage and never having sex in any form with anyone else, will not have issues with STD’s.  In a marriage relationship sex is at least as much if more for the gratification of the other person in that relationship than for ones self.  He didn’t say sex was only for procreation.  He said it was only meant for within the context of a committed opposite gender marriage relationship.  

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.1.6  lady in black  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.5    5 years ago

People have been having sex before marriage since the dawn of man, you and he are deluded if you don't know that.

charger 383
Professor Silent
3.1.8  charger 383  replied to    5 years ago

were Adam and Eve formally married?  their children formally married?   

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Ender  replied to    5 years ago

Well the French do call it La petite mort. The little death.

Are you honestly going to compare murder to a roll in the hay? Or mud, or sheets, backseat, in the stands at a baseball game....

charger 383
Professor Silent
3.1.10  charger 383  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.5    5 years ago

"All sex outside of that of a committed one man one woman marriage relationship is for self gratification."

how many wifes did King Solomon have? 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Release The Kraken @3.1.3    5 years ago

There you go. You get it. If you care about your partner it is supposed to be a way of showing mutual love and gratification. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.1.14  lady in black  replied to    5 years ago

Are you for real, comparing having sex with murder....yeah I don't think that's a fair comparison.  

Sex isn't just for procreation no matter how many bible thumping assholes say it is.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.15  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  lady in black @3.1.6    5 years ago

We know that full well.  All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.  That so many don’t follow what he described is why we have such an epidemic of STD’s.  

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.1.16  lady in black  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.15    5 years ago

STD's have also been around since the dawn of man....Al Capone in the 1940's had syphilis so Phil is full of shit. 

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.18  epistte  replied to    5 years ago
I'm not comparing it with murder I'm comparing sex outside of marriage with sin. Just because the vast majority of people do have sex outside of marriage its still sin in God's eyes.

When did your god say this? The Bible was written by man, unless you have proof that your god fact-checked it.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
3.1.19  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  lady in black @3.1.14    5 years ago
Are you for real, comparing having sex with murder...

sorry but that caught my eye, seems I remember a few things from my "active" years  and remember a phrase , le petite morte, little death, supposedly and from experience it is a state of complete and utter sensory overload where one faints during or immediately after orgasm to the point one cannot move, the French called it le petit morte, the little death, supposedly if things go as they should , you get the little death, sometimes more than once in one night or session....

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.1.20  lady in black  replied to    5 years ago

Not all Americans believe in your God or any God so that point is moot.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.22  epistte  replied to    5 years ago
About nine in 10 Americans say they believe in God, and one in 10 say they do not. My point is valid to almost 90% of Americans

It's more like 75-25%

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.23  Dulay  replied to    5 years ago
I'm not comparing it with murder I'm comparing sex outside of marriage with sin. Just because the vast majority of people do have sex outside of marriage its still sin in God's eyes.

A 'sin' for which there is at most a fine paid the father of the 'humbled' woman. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.24  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dulay @3.1.23    5 years ago

Well, a woman married for the first time who was not a virgin on her wedding night could be killed.  No such penalty prescribed for first-time grooms, of course.

Seems the me that the Bible says that sex outside of marriage is a sin for women.  Unless those women are slaves, and are raped by their owners.  That, apparently, is ok.  So, sex outside of marriage is ok for women, but only if they don't consent to it.  Sex outside of marriage is ok for men, unless they're having sex with another man's wife.  That was a property crime, women being property and all.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.25  Dulay  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.24    5 years ago
So, sex outside of marriage is ok for women, but only if they don't consent to it. 

Yep, there is a whole lot of 'taking' going on in the Bible that gets ignored by the holier than thou. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.26  Gordy327  replied to    5 years ago

An argumentum ad populum.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.27  Gordy327  replied to    5 years ago

God sure has some hangups about people's sex lives. Sex is sex. Marriage doesn't magically change that.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.28  epistte  replied to  charger 383 @3.1.8    5 years ago
were Adam and Eve formally married?  their children formally married?   

It would seem that incest is a Christian family value and constitutes a traditional marriage, 

According to the Book of Jubilees, Cain married his sister Awan, a daughter of Adam and Eve.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.29  sandy-2021492  replied to  epistte @3.1.28    5 years ago

Abraham's wife Sarah was also his half sister.

Ick.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.30  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.29    5 years ago
Abraham's wife Sarah was also his half sister. Ick.

It adds a new layer of disgust to the term sister wives.......

And this is what their god has laid out as moral and wholesome..........

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.31  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @3.1.30    5 years ago
And this is what their god has laid out as moral and wholesome

But somehow, a couple having sex before marriage is immoral and bad enough to make someone hell bound. 

It would seem that incest is a Christian family value and constitutes a traditional marriage,

True. Just ask " America's best Christian " about it: 

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.32  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.31    5 years ago

I'd like to how how there were married before they had sex?  Who ordained the minister?

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.33  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.31    5 years ago
True. Just ask "America's best Christian" about it: 

I love Betty Bowers. She deserves to have her own SNL skit............

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.34  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @3.1.33    5 years ago

I know, right.

epistte
Junior Guide
5  epistte    5 years ago

Duck Dynasty’ Star Phil Robertson: I Don’t Need Health Care Because I Have ‘Immortality Given to Me by God’

I wonder if he will feel the same way when he is t in the back of an ambulance or in the ER? Maybe they should take people like this to church for prayers when they have a massive heart attack instead of to the hospital.

How does he know that he has immortality?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5.2  lady in black  replied to  epistte @5    5 years ago

He's just another whackadoodle without sin....jrSmiley_23_smiley_image.gif

Like he didn't have sex before marriagejrSmiley_20_smiley_image.gif

epistte
Junior Guide
5.2.2  epistte  replied to    5 years ago
Phil didn't say he never committed a sin, he did say he did have sex before he was married.

So why is he ranting about others when he did the same thing? Does he not understand the concept of hypocrisy?

epistte
Junior Guide
5.2.4  epistte  replied to    5 years ago
It's not hypocrisy. If you stole a candy bar when you were a kid would it be hypocrisy to tell your daughter not to steal?

Not all of us have the same beliefs that he does.

epistte
Junior Guide
5.2.6  epistte  replied to    5 years ago
Not all of us (thankfully) have the same beliefs you do.

What are my beliefs, if you claim to know?

epistte
Junior Guide
5.2.8  epistte  replied to    5 years ago
I do know you don't believe in the historical Jesus or God of the Bible.

I was raised Catholic but I never believed because it doesn't hold up to critical scrutiny. God/Jesus is a myth, just like Thor, Isis, Apollo, Zeus, Jupiter, and Tammuz, among many others. Why don't you believe in any of them?

Your religion is atheism.

Atheism is not a religion. It's the lack of religion.  I am a Humanist.

epistte
Junior Guide
5.2.10  epistte  replied to    5 years ago
You don’t call magically “good” genetics supernatural?

What are you referring to?  Genetics that help a life form to survive and thrive are the result of millions of years of evolution. Religion and/or god has nothing to do with it.

You don’t call a magically spontaneous big bang ex nihilo supernatural?

The big bang wasn't magical or spontaneous.

Atheism is definitely a religion. It worships the same great universal force theists do, it’s just too arrogant to give it a name.

I don't worship anything.  That is what is the difference is that you think that I am like you and that I worship just as you do, but you could not be more wrong.  There is no great universal force, except the laws of physics.

Did you open the Humanist link that I provided and read it before you replied?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.11  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @5.2.8    5 years ago

Religious humanism

Religious humanism is an integration of humanist ethical philosophy with congregational but non-theistic rituals and community activity which center on humanneeds, interests, and abilities. Self-described religious humanists differ from secular humanists mainly in that they regard the humanist life stance as their religion and organise using a congregational model. Religious humanism is a classic example of a nontheistic religion.

Religious humanists typically organise in the 21st century under the umbrella of Ethical Culture or Ethical Humanism. It remains largely a United States phenomenon; a British ethical culture movement was briefly highly active in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, but by the 1960s had largely abandoned its "religious" trappings, and asserted humanism less as a religious identity and more as a useful label to describe rational and non-religious attitudes to morality and ethics. Ethical Culture and religious humanism groups first formed in the United States from former Unitarian ministers who, not believing in god, sought to build a secular religion influenced on the thinking of French philosopher Auguste Comte.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_humanism

Origins

Discussion of terminology

See also

Notes

References

External links   

epistte
Junior Guide
5.2.12  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.11    5 years ago
Religious humanism is an integration of humanist ethical philosophy with congregational but non-theistic rituals and community activity which center on human needs, interests, and abilities. Self-described religious humanists differ from secular humanists mainly in that they regard the humanist life stance as their religion and organise using a congregational model. Religious humanism is a classic example of a nontheistic religion .

You cited the wrong source because I am not a religious Humanist. Secular Humanism is not the same as religious Humanism.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.2.13  Dulay  replied to    5 years ago
It's not hypocrisy.

Actually it is since part of his story is that he went drinking and fornicating while he was MARRIED. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.14  Tessylo  replied to    5 years ago
Robertson admits, however, that he was not always a professing Christian and didn’t always follow God’s design for his life. In fact, he said, there was a time he could barely tell Jesus apart from a “billy goat.”

“I used to get drunk, get high, get laid,” Robertson admitted. “I was immoral.” 

"I fucked the billy goats too."

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.2.15  Gordy327  replied to    5 years ago

Atheism is not a religion, as that is an oxymoron and atheists  do not worship anything and are unconvinced of the existence of deities. To imply otherwise is just willful ignorance.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @5    5 years ago

All Christians living by what we’ve been shown have through faith and grace the assurance of salvation and eternal life.  

epistte
Junior Guide
5.3.1  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.3    5 years ago

This is more Christian apologetic because you don't know any of this to be true.  You only believe it to be true in the same way that you believe that your god exists.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.3.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @5.3.1    5 years ago

You asked the question of how he knows and I answered it. Nothing more, nothing less. It is what he and I and a couple billion others believe.  

epistte
Junior Guide
5.3.3  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.3.2    5 years ago
You asked the question of how he knows and I answered it. Nothing more, nothing less. It is what he and I and a couple billion others believe.  

That is a popularity fallacy.  Believing in something doesn't mean that it is true, even when there might be millions or billions of people who do the same thing.

Appeals to popularity suggest that an idea must be true simply because it is widely held. This is a fallacy because popular opinion can be, and quite often is, mistaken. Hindsight makes this clear: there were times when the majority of the population believed that the Earth is the still centre of the universe, and that diseases are caused by evil spirits; neither of these ideas was true, despite its popularity.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.3.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @5.3.3    5 years ago

I was simply giving a conservative estimate of the number of other Christians in world who would have a similar belief and assurance.   

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.3.5  Dulay  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.3    5 years ago
All Christians living by what we’ve been shown have through faith and grace the assurance of salvation and eternal life.

Well since you admit:

All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

That 'All' would be close to none. 

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5.3.6  katrix  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.3.4    5 years ago
I was simply giving a conservative estimate of the number of other Christians in world who would have a similar belief and assurance.  

Thank goodness only one in ten people in America, at most, are young earthers.  Although ten percent of people being so incredibly ignorant is still pathetic.  If we truly want to make America even greater, we have to do something about the rampant stupidity.  Anti-vaxxers, young earthers, flat-earthers ... there's no excuse for anyone to be so ignorant.  The worse thing is that it's willful ignorance, which could be cured if people weren't so brainwashed.

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    5 years ago

I liked Duck Dynasty, it was a funny show 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1  Freefaller  replied to  charger 383 @6    5 years ago
it was a funny show 

It was in the beginning and I enjoyed it too for awhile.  Then their shenanigans got repetitive and I moved on, but it was good for a season or two.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Freefaller @6.1    5 years ago

Eventually, it was so obvious that it was scripted. And then Phil got holier-than-thou, and it just wasn't funny anymore.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  Freefaller  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1.1    5 years ago

As I've heard said "The only definite thing about reality shows is they are not real"

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Isn't he the beardified goomer that ranted at everyone while waving around a Bible in his hand? 

Is someone actually supposed to consider taking advice from him?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9  JohnRussell    5 years ago

This article constitutes proselytizing.

"Robertson said he was driven to look for a deeper purpose in life because, at the time, he felt as if he was as “dog chasing his tail.”

“So I repented and got on my knees before God for the first time. I am 72, so I have been at this for about 44 years now,” he said. “The more I have studied about God and the more I read my Bible, I realized that this is true and really happening. There is a way out of here alive.”

“Our struggle is not against flesh and blood. It is the one in them, the evil one were the friction comes,” Robertson told CP when asked about the review. “The Bible says repeatedly, ‘everyone who lives a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.’ So Jesus said to jump for joy and be happy when people hate you, when they exclude you or insult you or reject your name as evil because of Him.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @9    5 years ago

That doesn't count. He is allowed to talk about why he feels what he feels. He's not allowed to try and sell his faith. 

epistte
Junior Guide
9.1.1  epistte  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1    5 years ago

(please delete)

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
10  Freefaller    5 years ago

Lol yeah this book ranks up there with the latest Kardashian offering on my "to buy" list.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
11  Dismayed Patriot    5 years ago

10 lies bigoted religious conservatives are using to destroy America:

• You can't be moral unless you believe in God
  • There is only one God and Christians know who it is and what it wants so you better listen up
  • Higher education spoils the mind
  • Traditions should always be followed even when you don't know why
  • The biblical devil is real and is the cause of human suffering
  • The Christian God is real and cares about human suffering
  • White Christians have some greater claim to America than atheists, immigrants or those of other faiths
  • Evolution is fake news!
  • Magical immortal souls are created at conception
  • God will fix/protect us from global climate change so we don't have to worry about abusing the planet

Veronica
Professor Guide
11.1  Veronica  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @11    5 years ago
Magical immortal souls are created at conception

Even though in their holy book it suggests "first breath".

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
11.1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Veronica @11.1    5 years ago
Even though in their holy book it suggests "first breath".

And even though it implies that the 30-50% of fertilized eggs that are "naturally miscarried" (or Divinely aborted if you believe in God) would equate to billions of tiny lost souls being stored somewhere by a supposedly loving God. And it's their reason for being so vehemently against abortion even when the vast majority occur very early in the pregnancy, 92% at or before 12 weeks.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
11.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @11    5 years ago

1,2,5,6,8, are absolutely correct facts of life.  9 is partially right and partly wrong. The rest are ridiculous.  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
11.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  XXJefferson51 @11.2    5 years ago

The first two myths seem to me to be examples of religious bigotry.  You agree with religious bigotry?

And, of course, you've never been able to offer evidence to support any of those myths, the bigoted ones, or otherwise.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
11.2.2  katrix  replied to  XXJefferson51 @11.2    5 years ago

I'm a lot more moral than you - so there goes your #1 being true.  Unlike you, I don't need fear of punishment or promises of eternity to behave.  That's a lot more moral than someone who can't behave without belief in an evil bogeyman.

And, I support equal rights for all, another way in which I'm more moral than you.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
11.2.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  XXJefferson51 @11.2    5 years ago
1,2,5,6,8, are absolutely correct facts of life.

None of which you can actually prove, so how does that make them "facts"?

"9 is partially right and partly wrong."

"Magical immortal souls are created at conception"

I'm curious as to which part you think is right and which one wrong.

"The rest are ridiculous"

I agree that the bigoted religious conservatives who I've known for decades who inspired the list are "ridiculous" as are their unfounded, unproven fantasy beliefs.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
12  Split Personality    5 years ago

I'm locking this seed because Redding CA had a freak 10-13 inch snow storm which totally shut down the city; tens of thousands without power, etc

and XX can neither moderate or defend his seeds

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
12.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Split Personality @12    5 years ago

We went from 30,000 homes without power to 1,500.  Unfortunately mine is in that 1500.  Anyway I’m staying at my moms place and hopefully by dark tomorrow I’ll have power.  Ironically we were supposed to get a dusting of snow Sunday or Monday night and it didn’t happen.  So this pretty much came out of the blue so to speak with no one expecting any snow at all much less as much as we got.