╌>

Congressional Democrats condemn Rep. Ilhan Omar over 'anti-Semitic' tweets about AIPAC and Israel

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  86 comments

Congressional Democrats condemn Rep. Ilhan Omar over 'anti-Semitic' tweets about AIPAC and Israel

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By John Haltiwanger, Business Insider, February 11 2019

BUZZ NOTE:  I was unable to open the article photo of Omar so in order to post this article it was necessary to choose the one used in a similar article published by The Jerusalem Post.  This article is actually more fair than the Jerusalem Post one as it includes commentary supportive of Omar.

• Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota was widely criticized on Monday for tweets about Israel and the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC), a pro-Israel lobbying group.
  • Omar was accused of using anti-Semitic tropes, including by top Democrats in Congress.
  • Omar, who's among the first female Muslim members of Congress, has maintained that she's not anti-Semitic amid ongoing criticism of her stance on Israel.
  • Omar on Monday afternoon issued a statement apologizing for her tweets and acknowledging the   "painful history of anti-Semitic tropes."

A number of congressional Democrats on Monday joined a growing chorus of criticism against freshman Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota over her tweets about Israel that led to widespread allegations of anti-Semitism.

Omar ignited a social-media firestorm on Sunday after she suggested that support for Israel among Republican members of Congress is motivated by money.

"It's all about the Benjamins baby," Omar tweeted in response to a tweet from the journalist Glenn Greenwald about House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy threatening to take "action" against the freshman congresswoman over her criticism of Israel.

Subsequently, when asked to clarify what she meant, Omar in a separate tweet seemed to suggest a pro-Israel lobbying group — the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) — is paying US politicians to support Israel.

Omar was swiftly condemned on social media, and the backlash was hardly limited to Republicans. A number of her fellow Democrats expressed concern over Omar's tweets, which many felt played into anti-Semitic tropes about Jews and money.

Jewish Democrats in Congress are lining up against Omar

Democratic Rep. Max Rose of New York, also a freshman in Congress,   tweeted , "Congresswoman Omar's statements are deeply hurtful to Jews, including myself."

Meanwhile, Democratic Reps. Josh Gottheimer of New Jersey and Elaine Luria of Virginia, who are also Jewish, have sent   a letter   to Democratic leaders urging them to take "swift action" against Omar and freshman Rep. Rashida Tlaib of Michigan over their recent remarks on Israel.

Omar and Tlaib are the first two female Muslim congresswomen in US history.

Read more:   Democratic Rep. Rashida Tlaib wrote a column for Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan's blog in 2006

"We cannot remain silent in the face of hateful speech or actions. We know what happens in our communities when leaders ignore or embrace unacceptable rhetoric," the letter said. "That is why we have an obligation to speak out against anti-Semitism and to vigorously confront, challenge, and defeat those who traffic in these harmful tropes and smears."

Democratic Rep. Jerry Nadler of New York, who's also Jewish, in a statement said Omar's "choice of words" were "deeply disappointing and disturbing."

Nadler, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee and one of the most powerful Democrats in Congress, went on to say, "In this fragile moment in our nation's history, we must all redouble our efforts to engage in policy debates in ways that respect the dignity and humanity of all people."

House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Eliot L. Engel, a Jewish Democrat from New York, in a statement on Monday called Omar's tweets   "unacceptable."

"It's shocking to hear a Member of Congress invoke the anti-Semitic trope of 'Jewish money,'" Engel added. "Criticism of American policy toward any country is fair game, but this must be done on policy grounds."

Democratic Rep. Ted Deutch of Florida, who's also Jewish, in a statement said he found Omar's remarks "unacceptable" and   "deeply worrisome to the Jewish community."

Read more:   Anti-Jewish hate crimes increased by 37% in 2017, according to a new FBI report

Democratic leaders call Omar's remarks 'deeply offensive'

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was joined by other Democratic leaders on Monday in condemning Omar's remarks.

In a sternly worded statement, they called on Omar to apologize.

"Anti-Semitism must be called out, confronted and condemned whenever it is encountered, without exception," the statement said.

"Congresswoman Omar's use of anti-Semitic tropes and prejudicial accusations about Israel's supporters is deeply offensive," the statement added. "We condemn these remarks and we call upon Congresswoman Omar to immediately apologize for these hurtful comments."

Separately, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer also condemned Omar's tweets. "Rep. Omar's use of an anti-Semitic stereotype was offensive and irresponsible,"   Schumer said . "This kind of intolerance has no place in Congress-or anywhere in American society. No one should invoke anti-Semitic tropes during policy disagreements.""

Omar has expressed concern over the treatment of Palestinians by Israel

Omar is a proponent of the   Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement (BDS) , a nonviolent, global campaign that seeks to isolate Israel economically and politically regarding the country's treatment of Palestinians and the occupation of the West Bank.

The Minnesota congresswoman has been unabashedly critical of the Israeli government and said in   a recent CNN interview   it's "exciting" to see a broader debate happening on the US government's relationship with Israel.

"It's not surprising. I think it is actually exciting because we are finally able to have conversations that we weren't really willing to," Omar said. "It is really important for us to get a different lens about what peace in that region could look like and the kind of difficult conversations we need to have about allies."

"Israel is an ally of the United States and I think as much as you would look to your neighbor, to your friends, to live out the same values as you are, we want to make sure that our allies are living out the same values that we push for here," she added.

Omar is hardly the first person in Washington to   express concern about organizations such as AIPAC   or criticize the Israeli government's treatment of Palestine. She's also   not the first politician to be accused of anti-Semitism for doing so , as it has long been generally taboo for any US politician to go after Israel.

Read more:   Ilhan Omar, the Muslim congresswoman Saudi Arabia tried to smear, secures place on powerful House committee that could stop the US from selling arms to the kingdom

But there seems to be rising concern, including from Democrats, that Omar is not approaching what is among the most incendiary political topics with enough care and nuance.

Omar sits on the House Foreign Affairs Committee and has been   accused of engaging in anti-Semitic tropes several times   in recent weeks,   including over statements she made on Israel years ago . Omar, who moved to the US from Somalia as a refugee in 1995, has responded to some of the criticism launched at her with   allegations of Islamophobia .

Some Dems say it's 'perfectly legitimate to criticize Israel' but are warning Omar to 'be careful'

Speaking on the controversy over Omar's tweets, Democratic Rep. Jim Himes of Connecticut   on Monday told CNN , "It's perfectly legitimate to criticize Israel or the pro-Israeli lobby. Just please be careful to do it in a way that can't be interpreted as being anti-Semitic."

Himes added, "I think this is really a good example of the need for all of us to be very, very specific about what it is we are saying so that we don't come off as being anti-Semitic, racist, bigoted."

Amid the ongoing criticism, Omar has maintained that she supports the Jewish community and her comments are directed at the Israeli government in the context of its policy toward Palestine. She's also   expressed regret over how she's framed her criticism of Israel in the past.

Meanwhile, Omar's spokesman on Sunday told Politico that her   "tweets speak for themselves."

Under mounting pressure, Omar on Monday afternoon issued a statement apologizing for her tweets while acknowledging the   "painful history of anti-Semitic tropes."

"I unequivocally apologize," Omar said.

In the statement, Omar also reaffirmed her concerns about the "problematic role" of lobbying in Washington in general, including from AIPAC.

SEE ALSO:   Democratic Rep. Rashida Tlaib wrote a column for Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan's blog in 2006

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Personally, I don't believe her "apology" is sincere - I believe it was only to allay the criticism she received from Pelosi and other fellow Democrats.  Her support (as well as the support of Tlaib) of BDS makes her true feelings well known.

Again I must state that I find it strange that American Jews are not becoming a little more concerned about supporting the Democratic Party, notwithstanding their liberal bent.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

I refuse to equate anti-Israel rhetoric with anti-Semitism. That works both ways. Criticizing AIPAC, as an example of a foreign lobby, is legitimate. I don't know enough to agree or disagree, but I do know enough to accept the validity of the debate.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1    5 years ago

International Holocaust Remebrance Association definition of antisemitism as it applies to Israel, AS AGREED TO BY MOST OF THE CIVILIZED NATIONS OF THE WORLD INCLUDING THE USA AND FRANCE:

 Denying the Jewish people their right to self-determination, e.g., by claiming that the existence
of a State of Israel is a racist endeavor.
 Applying double standards by requiring of it a behavior not expected or demanded of any other
democratic nation.
 Using the symbols and images associated with classic antisemitism (e.g., claims of Jews killing
Jesus or blood libel) to characterize Israel or Israelis.
 Drawing comparisons of contemporary Israeli policy to that of the Nazis.
 Holding Jews collectively responsible for actions of the state of Israel.

However, FAIR criticism of Israel is NOT antisemitic, nor is fair criticism of AIPAC, BUT THE POINT OF THIS ARTICLE IS NOT ABOUT ANY CRITICISM, IT IS ABOUT WHAT OMAR SAID THAT WAS KNOWN TO BE AN ANTISEMITIC TROPE. 

As for BDS:

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    5 years ago

In the US everyone has a right to self determination.

Why should the US have to bend to demands? Why should the US never be able to say anything bad about the country?

As far as Omar...what was antisemitic that she said? Follow the money?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @1.1.2    5 years ago

Your comments are unworthy of a response.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    5 years ago

Agreed.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
1.1.5  luther28  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1    5 years ago

Thank you Bob for saving me some typing.

Fairly much lines up with my thoughts.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

I believe she offered the apology solely for the sake of political expediency to get the heat off her back by her fellow Democrats and was in no way serious  She is a perfect example of the old saying that a leopard cannot change it's spots. She is a bigot.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2  Dismayed Patriot    5 years ago

" This is all so ridiculous. It’s all based upon this demand that we indulge what everybody knows is an utter and complete fiction, which is that we’re allowed to talk about the power of the   NRA   in Washington, we’re allowed to talk about the power of the Saudis in Washington, we’re allowed to talk about the power of big pharmaceutical companies and Wall Street and Silicon Valley and the fossil fuel industry in Washington, but we’re not allowed to talk about an equally potent, well-organized and well-financed lobby that ensures a bipartisan consensus in support of U.S. defense of Israel, that the minute that you mention that lobby, you get attacked as being anti-Semitic, which is what happened to Congresswoman Omar.

And I think the context here is really important. For a long time, the bipartisan piety was not just that the U.S. has to support Israel, but that, in particular, the effort to boycott Israel in protest of its occupation of Palestine is not just misguided, but anti-Semitic. That’s the official position of the Democratic Party, of Hillary Clinton, of Chuck Schumer, of every leading Democrat. And now, suddenly, you have these two really exciting, dynamic, charismatic women of color newly elected to Congress, the first two Muslim women elected to Congress, who both are supporters of the boycott of Israel, which the Democratic Party says is bigotry and anti-Semitism, and it’s created this very awkward moment. So, of course, the minute two Muslim women arrive in Congress, they’re going to get attacked as anti-Semitic if they’re critical of Israel, which they are, just like Keith Ellison, the first Muslim ever elected to Congress, got vilified as being an anti-Semite by Haim Saban, the billionaire funder of the Democratic Party, when he tried to be the chairman of the   DNC .

What the congresswoman said is very uncontroversial. Everyone knows   AIPAC   is an extremely intimidating lobby, just like the   NRA   is. There’s nothing wrong with pointing that out. There’s certainly nothing anti-Semitic about saying that, about criticizing the Israeli government for its aggression and militarism. And anybody who cares about Palestinians and about the ability of Muslims in the United States to be able to speak freely ought to be defending her.

And the last point I would add is, my point was, in saying how weird it is, what a priority it is for U.S. politicians to defend Israel, was based on the fact that the very first bill passed by the U.S. Senate was not about helping Americans; it was about empowering states to punish people who support a boycott of Israel, a bill sponsored by Marco Rubio, who got more money from Sheldon Adelson than any other politician in 2016, and then was supported by half of the Democratic Senate Caucus. That’s what I was referring to. And the congresswoman was saying a big reason for that is the monied interests in Washington that demand that. And of course everyone knows that’s true, and to call that anti-Semitic is just obscene." - Jewish American Lawyer and journalist Glenn Greenwald

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2    5 years ago
"...the minute that you mention that lobby, you get attacked as being anti-Semitic, which is what happened to Congresswoman Omar."

Once I read your comment at that point I saw no purpose in reading any more of it because I realized where you're coming from.

There is a difference, my friend in talking about the power of a lobby, and using an anti-Semitic trope that AIPAC pays money to lawmakers to get their positive votes.  THAT IS WHAT SHE DID, and even Pelosi realized it.  Think about that before you're so quick to criticize.  And as for BDS, isn't it amazing that their sights are set ONLY ON ISRAEL, and they don't give a shit about the terrorist tactics taken against that State by their beloved DECLARED BY THE USA to be a terrorist entity, nor do they care about the human rights offences committed by so many other nations (double standard?) ONLY ISRAEL is the devil, and obviously YOU AGREE WITH THEM.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    5 years ago
pays money to lawmakers to get their positive votes

All lobby's do that. Just because one is pro Israel, does not give it an exemption.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @2.1.1    5 years ago

PROVE IT

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.2    5 years ago

What do you want me to prove? That AIPAC is not a lobby? That lobby's do not spend money on politicians and give to their campaigns? 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @2.1.3    5 years ago

As I said, prove that AIPAC has funded any politician's campaign.  Otherwise your comments are mere conjecture.  

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.4    5 years ago

I posted this on another article.

In the past five year years, AIPAC has spent more than $14 million lobbying Congress and federal agencies to press its agenda, which includes continuing to ensure U.S. military aid to Israel and imposing new sanctions on Iran if international negotiators fail to reach a deal on Tehran's nuclear program.

The group also cultivates ties with Capitol Hill by sponsoring dozens of trips for lawmakers and their aides each year to Israel. In 2013, its foundation funded 77 trips, totaling nearly $1.4 million in value, according to a USA TODAY analysis of travel data compiled by Political MoneyLine.

Although it does not endorse candidates nor contribute directly to them, AIPAC encourages its members to develop relationships with lawmakers and to donate to their campaigns. Politicians on both sides of the aisle long have courted the organization.

In recent years, AIPAC has found itself competing with other voices in the American Jewish community — most notably J Street, an organization founded in 2008 to offer a more liberal stance.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.6  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @2.1.5    5 years ago
"Although it does not endorse candidates nor contribute directly to them,..."

Her accusation was that AIPAC paid lawmakers...

Thank you for posting the evidence that what she said WAS NOT TRUE, and if you understood what the issue is about this article, it was because she used a well-known antisemitic trope accusing AIPAC of doing exactly what USAToday established AIPAC does NOT do.

Nancy Pelosi got it, why can't you?

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.6    5 years ago

Actually what I posted proves what I said was true.

List me this evidence of her continued antisemitism. I can't find it.

Everyone says this but never comes up with any evidence.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.8  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @2.1.7    5 years ago

IMPASSE

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.9  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    5 years ago
Once I read your comment at that point I saw no purpose in reading any more of it because I realized where you're coming from.

I guess if you'd continued reading you might have even found out it was a quote from a Jewish American lawyer and journalist, not my comment. I do however, agree with him on most points he makes. The fact is any time a public figure is even the slightest bit critical of Israels methods, current political agenda or foreign lobbying they get accused of being anti-Semitic which I find offensive because it actually steals what should be true outrage at those who are actually anti-Semitic and claiming there's some Jewish cabal either in government or Hollywood that are running things from the shadows like the fantasy "deep state" some idiots have imagined. There is no secret Jewish cabal running things, there is however a powerful visible and very real lobbying group called the AIPAC that does push for pro-Israel candidates here in the States with the intention of making better deals for Israel. There isn't anything anti-Semitic about that statement which was what I believe the congresswoman was trying to say but sadly did a poor job of expressing a real concern.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.10  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.6    5 years ago
Her accusation was that AIPAC paid lawmakers...

All you needed to do was read the rest of the sentence Buzz. 

AIPAC encourages its members to develop relationships with lawmakers and to donate to their campaigns.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.11  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @2.1.10    5 years ago

Every lobbyist will do that - so what?  Her accusation was not that, it was that AIPAC directly paid the lawmakers. 

Has anyone bothered to say anything about how much George Soros donates to organizations to carry out his nefarious plans? Has anyone bothered to say how much Saudi Arabia and other oil-rich Gulf States donate to American Universities to make sure they preach what is beneficial for them and their causes? 

That kind of thing is rampant, BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT SHE SAID - SHE SAID AIPAC PAID "BENJAMINS" (I just learned today that was slang for $100 bills, LOL) TO LAWMAKERS. If she had said only what the "rest of the sentence you quoted" said, it would have been the truth, and not an antisemitic canard.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.12  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.11    5 years ago
Her accusation was not that, it was that AIPAC directly paid the lawmakers. 

I READ the tweets Buzz [which I note aren't in the article]. It says no such thing. 

Has anyone bothered to say anything about how much George Soros donates to organizations to carry out his nefarious plans?

Gee Buzz, you know that Soros is a JEW right?

Should I view YOUR comment about Soros as anti-Semitic? 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.13  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @2.1.12    5 years ago

"It's the "Benjamins""

"AIPAC"

A lot of Democratic lawmakers and the House Speaker read them and their conclusion differs from yours, so let's just leave it at that.

Fair criticism of Israel, its government, it's Prime Minister, etc. is NOT anti-Semitic.

Fair critisism of Soros is NOT anti-Semitic.

You're WAY off base.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.14  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.13    5 years ago
A lot of Democratic lawmakers and the House Speaker read them and their conclusion differs from yours, so let's just leave it at that.

Why should I care what their conclusion is Buzz? 

Fair criticism of Israel, its government, it's Prime Minister, etc. is NOT anti-Semitic.

Then you must be claiming that Omar's criticism was unfair. How so? 

Fair critisism of Soros is NOT anti-Semitic.

Then you must be claiming that your statement that Soros has 'nefarious plans' is 'fair criticism'. Prove it. 

You're WAY off base.

Nope, right on...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.15  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @2.1.14    5 years ago
Then you must be claiming that Omar's criticism was unfair. How so? 

Because is was recognized by anyone intelligent enough to understand it to have been an antisemitic canard along the lines of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion and frankly I don't give a shit if you think any different - it's your privilege. I'm through with conversing about it with you. Obviously we disagree and neither of us is going to convince the other with argument so I'm not going to waste my time and hope I don't need to 'impasse' in order to end our conversation.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.16  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.15    5 years ago
Because is was recognized by anyone intelligent enough to understand it to have been an antisemitic canard along the lines of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion and frankly I don't give a shit if you think any different - it's your privilege.

It's not an anti-Semitic canard to state that AIPAC funds Congress members in support of Israel. It's a known fact. 

Omar said one sentence and cited one lobbying group and you compare it to the Protocols of the Elders of Zion? 

Hyperbolic much Buzz?

hope I don't need to 'impasse' in order to end our conversation.

You're the one getting 'hearted' Buzz. Tissue?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.17  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @2.1.16    5 years ago

IMPASSE

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2  Ender  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2    5 years ago

I agree. It is getting to the point that anyone that criticizes Israel is labeled as antisemitic.

God forbid that person happen to be Muslim.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @2.2    5 years ago

Read my reply to DP and to Bob Nelson above.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.1    5 years ago

What exactly was antisemitic that she said?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @2.2.2    5 years ago

I repeat.  Read my reply to DP and Bob Nelson above.  There is nothing wrong with educating yourself.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.3    5 years ago

Tell me in your words what she said that was antisemitic.

If one believes it true, one could recite the misdeed.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.5  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @2.2.4    5 years ago

LOL. I'm not going to continue with any further conversation with you.  I don't need to quote what she said. She upset enough of her own Party because of what she said that you don't need me to quote her.  In any event, if she didn't say what she did, then WHY DID SHE APOLOGIZE FOR SAYING IT!!!  LOL 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.6  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.5    5 years ago

What did she say? That AIPAC is a major lobby group. Follow the money. As with any lobby group. See, I can say what I think it means yet you cannot?

Did you read her apology?

"Anti-Semitism is real and I am grateful for Jewish allies and colleagues who are educating me on the painful history of anti-Semitic tropes," Omar said. "My intention is never to offend my constituents or Jewish Americans as a whole. We have to always be willing to step back and think through criticism, just as I expect people to hear me when others attack me for my identity. This is why I unequivocally apologize."
She continued, "At the same time, I reaffirm the problematic role of lobbyists in our politics, whether it be AIPAC, the NRA or the fossil fuel industry. It's gone on too long and we must be willing to address it."

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.7  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @2.2.6    5 years ago

IMPASSE

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

Anything said in the neighborhood of Judaism or Israel must be said with care. (This isn't the only "risk" topic. Race also requires care, for example.)

Omar wasn't careful. She got slapped down by her party leadership.

She may believe whatever... but if she speaks publicly, she must toe the line.

Not rocket science.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @3    5 years ago
"Anything said in the neighborhood of Judaism or Israel must be said with care."

Oh yeah?  Just try to make any VALID criticism of Muslims or Islam, even WITH care, and if they don't chop your head off, you're listed by SPLC as a hater, or at the very least you're called an Islamophobe.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    5 years ago

This is US politics. The main point being people are getting paid for support.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    5 years ago

People may be insulted by whoever. So what?

The debate about AIPAIC remains valid, as does Omar's obligation to watch her tongue.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Dulay  replied to  Bob Nelson @3.1.2    5 years ago
as does Omar's obligation to watch her tongue.

Only if she care about how people feel about what she says. If, like Trump, she didn't give a shit what people think or if she hurt anyone's feelings, she could just carry on just like Trump does. 

I find it interesting that suddenly political standards are coming back into fashion. Of course, it's only for Democrats. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Dulay @3.1.3    5 years ago
Of course, it's only for Democrats.

Of course!

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2  Ender  replied to  Bob Nelson @3    5 years ago
but if she speaks publicly, she must toe the line

This is where I severely disagree with the party leadership.

Let her speak her mind. It is actually refreshing to not listen to a bunch of bullshit. Get down to the brass tax, so to speak.

This is where Democrats are always weak. They can never take a firm stand on anything. They always cow down to stupid things. Makes them ineffective. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    5 years ago

"Congressional Democrats condemn Rep. Ilhan Omar over 'anti-Semitic' tweets about AIPAC and Israel"

This too will pass..... real quick. jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif

Nancy: "tell 'em you muslim, tell 'em your muslim" !

Just like the Liberal Types do when they bluster about "Health Insurance" !

"We really don't mean you …. the insurance people ……. are really bad guys, but it sounds good to our "Lemmings" ! jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

David Leonhardt had a good piece in the NYT this morning. His affirmations are linked:

Here are a few examples of criticisms of Israel that are decidedly not anti-Semitic:

“Israeli forces unlawfully killed Palestinian civilians, including children,” Amnesty International recently wrote. Israel’s discrimination “against Arab and other minorities” has led to “systemic disparities in areas including political representation, criminal justice and economic opportunity,” Freedom House , the democracy watchdog, noted. And Israel’s prime minister is a corrupt politician with a fondness for far-right demagogues, as many writers have argued.

You can agree or disagree with each of these criticisms on the merits, but there is nothing inherently bigoted about them. Criticism of Israel, including harsh condemnation, is not the same thing as anti-Semitism.
But criticism of Israel is not inherently free of anti-Semitism, either — a point that I wish more critics of Israel would acknowledge. Here are a few such forms of anti-Semitism:

- Calls for the elimination of the Jewish state that are suspiciously silent about the need to eliminate other religious states. Questioning Israel’s right to exist often falls into this category.

- The old trope that Jews have secret powers to control other people. Ilhan Omar, the Minnesota congresswoman, dabbled in this sort of conspiracy when she tweeted in 2012 that Israel had “hypnotized the world” to keep people from seeing its “evil doings.”

- The related trope that Jews use their money to control people. An example: A London mural that depicted hooknosed bankers running the world — which Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of Britain’s Labour Party, initially defended . Another example: Omar’s claim over the weekend that members of Congress support Israel because of money they receive from pro-Israel lobbyists. “It’s all about the Benjamins,” she tweeted.

Yes, the tweet was bad.

Omar’s tweet turned into yesterday’s biggest political story. Her defenders argued that she wasn’t being anti-Semitic, because Aipac, the main pro-Israel lobbying group, and its members do spend significant sums of money to influence American politics.

I find that explanation unpersuasive.

It’s one thing to argue that campaign donations and other political spending play a role in congressional support for Israel. They do , much as political spending affects tax policy, health care, climate change and many other issues. But it’s factually wrong to say that congressional support for Israel is “all about” money.

The support also reflects Israel’s popularity among American voters and its longtime alliance with the United States. Most members of Congress who support Israel — including many who I think are too dismissive of its human rights violations — do so for genuine reasons. They believe what they’re saying. They haven’t been bought off.

Claiming otherwise is a double whammy: It’s inaccurate, and it traffics in an ancient bit of bigotry.

I am glad Omar apologized yesterday. “Anti-Semitism is real, and I am grateful for Jewish allies and colleagues who are educating me on the painful history of anti-Semitic tropes,” she said . It was a classy move, as The Washington Post’s Dana Milbank noted.

Her apology also raised a question about the Republicans who were so quick to criticize her: Will they also be willing to criticize the anti-Semitic stereotypes that President Trump has used in television advertisement and tweets? Or are they O.K. with anti-Semitism as long as it comes from other Republicans?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @6    5 years ago

I don't intend to deal with your paragraph about what is NOT antisemitic at this time, but I agree with the rest of what you have said in your comment.

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.3  Dulay  replied to  Bob Nelson @6    5 years ago
But it’s factually wrong to say that congressional support for Israel is “all about” money.

Yet none have argued about her statement being 'factually wrong', they labeled her a bigot and anti-Semitic. You seem to agree with them. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.3.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Dulay @6.3    5 years ago
You seem to agree with them.

I'm not sure what you think I'm agreeing with.

I agree that AIPAC, among other foreign-nation lobbies, is too powerful. I don't think that's anti-Semitic statement.

OTOH, language that maintains the "Jews / money" trope is anti-Semitism.

The path is narrow.

I wouldn't be surprised that Omar, being of Palestinian extraction, is not neutral on the conflict, but she has a political obligation to toe the party line. She did so, brilliantly, without any hedging, recognizing that her words had been unacceptable. At the same time, she maintained that AIPAIC is too powerful.

Personally, I'm impressed.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

Leonhardt lauds a piece in the WaPo , by Dana Milbank:

Ilhan Omar’s tweets were appalling. What happened next was inspiring.

Thank you, Ilhan Omar.

The first-term Democratic representative from Minnesota did something ugly Sunday night. Responding to a tweet about the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement against Israel, the young Somali American suggested U.S. lawmakers defend Israel because “It’s all about the Benjamins baby.”

And who is paying American officials these “Benjamins” — slang for $100 bills — to be pro-Israel? “AIPAC!” Omar tweeted, referring to the pro-Israel lobbying group.

Wealthy Jewish interests bribing U.S. lawmakers to sell out America? In addition to being false — the real power backing current Israel policy in the United States is evangelical Christianity — this is Protocols-of-the-Elders-of-Zion stuff.

What happened next, though, was as inspiring as Omar’s initial action was appalling. Denunciations rained, not just from Jews and opportunistic Republicans but from Democrats, almost as furiously as they did after Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D) acknowledged wearing blackface.

Monday, the Democratic House leadership issued a joint demand for an apology, saying “Omar’s use of anti-Semitic tropes and prejudicial accusations about Israel’s supporters is deeply offensive.”

Ninety minutes later, Omar issued an “unequivocal” apology, saying “anti-Semitism is real and I am grateful for Jewish allies and colleagues who are educating me on the painful history of anti-Semitic tropes.”

Contrast that with what happened when President Trump on Saturday appeared to joke about the genocide of Native Americans. Again referring to Democratic presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren as “Pocahontas,” Trump tweeted : “See you on the campaign TRAIL, Liz!”

Suspicions that Trump was making light of the Trail of Tears were boosted when Donald Trump Jr. posted on Instagram his father’s tweet and somebody else’s response (“The Native American genocide continues with another murder by the president”) — and added, approvingly, “Savage!!! Love my President.”

And the outraged demands from Republican leaders for an apology? We’re still waiting.

The juxtaposition offers hope for those who believe the United States will reject Trump’s politics of racial, religious and gender grievances. Those who believe in a tolerant, multicultural America need to speak with one voice against the scapegoating of minorities by the likes of Trump and Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) — not quarrel among themselves.

A revival of anti-Semitism on the left threatens that coalition. The bigotry, mostly found in the BDS movement, is isolated in the Democratic Party, but it complicates the important work of uniting against Trump.

Omar’s apology, if genuine, is welcome. But more important is for Omar — and for Rep. Rashida Tlaib (Mich.), another Muslim Democratic freshman who has been in similar controversy — to understand that their recent actions hurt not just Jews but also Muslims, Democrats and ultimately all who support tolerance.

During her election campaign, Omar told a synagogue audience that the BDS movement is “not helpful” in reaching a two-state solution because its pressure “stops the dialogue.” But days after she was elected, Omar declared her support for BDS.

Last month, a 2012 tweet by Omar surfaced in which she said “Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel.” She said her use of the anti-Semitic trope was unwitting.

Tlaib, meanwhile, tweeted last month that senators who supported the anti-BDS legislation “forgot what country they represent.” Days later, a man who has equated Zionism and Nazism posted a photo with Tlaib, saying they just had a “private dinner.” It then emerged that a man who organized campaign events for Tlaib had posted a video in 2018 calling Jews “satanic” and questioning the Holocaust.

Tlaib has said she can’t be held responsible for supporters’ actions and called herself the victim of right-wing media, saying, “Yes, I am Muslim and Palestinian. Get over it.”

I understand the anger toward Israel. I have criticized the Israeli government’s “moves toward authoritarianism and away from negotiated peace” and warned against building “an ultranationalist apartheid state.”

But accusations that pro-Israel Americans are unpatriotic puppet-masters is vile. And though the BDS movement isn’t necessarily anti-Semitic, it attracts those who are — and many who favor Israel’s elimination. BDS co-founder Omar Barghouti has said Zionism is based on “irredeemable racism” and “the current Zionist state of Israel” was “criminally built.”

As a Jew and an American, I’ve denounced Trump’s anti-Muslim conspiracy demagoguery, his proposed “Muslim ban” and resulting travel ban. The Anti-Defamation League and Jewish leaders have fought anti-Muslim discrimination because they understand that, as religious or racial minorities, we are all in this together.

Many American Muslims feel this way, too. Remember the crowdfunding campaign by Muslim Americans for victims of the Pittsburgh synagogue massacre?

There is nothing wrong with criticizing the Israeli government. There is something very wrong with alleging the corrupting influence of American Jews, and with joining those who seek the Jewish state’s destruction.

If Tlaib and Omar can see that distinction, we can together confront the real haters.

There is a video that I have not converted here. Open the article link in a "private window", to avoid the paywall.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8  Jasper2529    5 years ago

I noticed that none of the Democrats who spoke out against what Omar said suggested or demanded that she be removed from the Foreign Relations Committee. Hmmm.

And, Rep. Gerry Connolly, D-Va, actually defended her.

Omar is a freshman. She’s new here, she’s young . I think she has learned a painful lesson that the words you use through whatever what medium can be painful and can be hurtful and will have consequences. So hopefully moving forward, this is a valuable lesson she has learned and she’ll seek counsel and be far more careful about how she expresses herself.”

This morning, Dr. Zhudi Jasser, a Muslim, strongly condemned Omar and called her a radical Islamist. He also said that she should be stripped of her position on the Foreign Relations Committee, because she has access to classified information.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
9  Nerm_L    5 years ago

Democrats have fallen into an identity trap that forces them to focus on policy.  Simply opposing policy is an argument to do nothing.  And supporting any given policy requires explaining the details and that will always piss off someone.

The easy way out is to fall back on the only trope still acceptable for all Democrats:  slurs against white men that aren't hyphenated Americans.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
10  Jasper2529    5 years ago

Ilhan Omar's Israel tweets the latest in long line of controversial comments

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

It sure as hell didn't take long for her to prove that her "apology" was just bullshit forced on her by the Democratic Party's damage control.

• ILHAN OMAR TO KEYNOTE EVENT ALONGSIDE ANTISEMITE DAYS AFTER AIPAC RANT

Omar will be speaking alongside a well-known Islamic Relief USA official, Yousef Abdallah, who has openly advocated for violence against Jews and has shared antisemitic sentiments on social media.

Jerusalem Post, February 12 2019

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
12  bbl-1    5 years ago

In the bible, somewhere--is a parable clearly stating--that it is anti-Semitic to question Israeli money being infused into the American political system.  

Dulay
Professor Expert
12.1  Dulay  replied to  bbl-1 @12    5 years ago
In the bible, somewhere--is a parable clearly stating--that it is anti-Semitic to question Israeli money being infused into the American political system.  

Is there one in there about the 3.7 billion in US money being infused into the Israeli political system every year? I find it ironic that none of the GOP chastised Trump for calling out Israel for not paying for their own defense. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
12.1.2  bbl-1  replied to  Dulay @12.1    5 years ago

Ah well.  If "Grab em' by the puffy" meant nothing--then money flopping back and forth means nothing too.

Hell, there is stuff on FB that Ilhan Omar married her brother too.  Lesson here is do not touch right wing or Israeli money.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
12.1.3  bbl-1  replied to  Release The Kraken @12.1.1    5 years ago

$60 k?  Wouldn't even buy three days stay at Mar A Lago.

Dulay
Professor Expert
12.1.4  Dulay  replied to  Release The Kraken @12.1.1    5 years ago
Excellent point,

Then perhaps you should have addressed it rather than posting a deflection. 

Ilhan Omar took $60,000 from pacs including CAIR a Hamas linked terrorist group.

Link?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Well, you have all had your opportunity to agree or disagree with the opinion of a lot of lawmakers in the Democratic Party and the House Speaker, and a chance for a lot of you to indicate your feelings about antisemitism and Israel. I'll leave this article open until I go to sleep tonight which will be in the next morning for most of you, and then I'm going to lock it for good.  I have other better things to do than to have to continue moderating this discussion that has already been available for discussion for more than two days.