╌>

Quebec Status Of Women Minister Isabelle Charest Says Hijab Is A Symbol Of Oppression

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  5 years ago  •  101 comments

Quebec Status Of Women Minister Isabelle Charest Says Hijab Is A Symbol Of Oppression

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Quebec's new minister responsible for the status of women says the Muslim hijab is a symbol of oppression.

Speaking to reporters after being named to the portfolio Tuesday, Isabelle Charest said the Muslim head scarf does not correspond to her values and is not a way for women to flourish in society.

She said women should not wear the garment. She objects to it because it represents a command for women to cover themselves, she said.

Her statements come as the Coalition Avenir Quebec government prepares to introduce legislation prohibiting public servants in positions of authority — including teachers — from wearing visible religious symbols including the hijab, kippa and turban.

Pierre Arcand, interim leader of the Opposition Liberals, said today that tolerance and calm are needed in the debate prompted by the Coalition government. He said his party favours freedom of choice.

Charest, a former Olympic short track speed skater, was elected for the first time on Oct. 1. She is also junior education minister.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2  bbl-1    5 years ago

Oppression?

Religion defined.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    5 years ago
Isabelle Charest said the Muslim head scarf does not correspond to her values

Then Isabelle Charest doesn't have to wear one. See how that works? But if someone else wants to wear one, let them.

cms5
Freshman Quiet
4  cms5    5 years ago
Her statements come as the Coalition Avenir Quebec government prepares to introduce legislation prohibiting public servants in positions of authority — including teachers — from wearing visible religious symbols including the hijab, kippa and turban.

All I can say is 'wow'. Women don't wear kippas (yarmulkes) or turbans...so this is more than an attempt at 'freeing' women. It is an attempt to suppress visible religious beliefs.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

I totally agree with the minister.

All of the Islamic "rules" regarding "womanly modesty" are based on the notion that men cannot control themselves, and therefore... women must change their behavior...

That's dubious in 7th Century Arabia... and downright ridiculous today.

Submission is imprinted on little girls. As adults, they then speak of "religious choice". Wrong.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7  Sparty On    5 years ago

Just another case of some, telling others, what they should and shouldn't do.     I try to err on the side of liberty for this sort of thing.   Forcing it one way or the other is equally wrong.

We need to learn to live and let live with things like this IMO.   Otherwise there is no hope for everyone's  life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sparty On @7    5 years ago

A few years back, when France was debating a ban on the full-body hijab, the most vociferous proponents of the ban were Muslim women.

They had lived its oppression.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1    5 years ago

Are they really free in France?

Why would one remain in a situation they didn't agree with so vociferously?

That is not healthy or logical.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.1    5 years ago
Are they really free in France?

I guess I didn't explain very well.

The women were a group called Ni putes ni soumises. (Neither whores nor submissives, referring to the labels too often applied to Muslim women who do not obey their men.) They dressed as they pleased, including no headwear.

The ban has been law for quite a few years now.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.2    5 years ago

I see ...... libert'e French style i suppose eh?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.3    5 years ago

Yes.

The relative importance of various rights is interpreted differently in different societies.

Americans are accustomed to ceding their freedoms to church authorities. The French are vehemently secular.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.4    5 years ago

Not sure what Americans you're talking about.   I cede exactly none of my chosen freedoms to "church authorities."   Not one i can think of that matters to me.

Of course i don't worry about things like a bakery that won't bake a cake for me.   I just move on and find another one who will.

Pushing one's will on those who don't want it is a slippery slope.   A slippery slope indeed.   A practice hardly reserved for religions alone.  

The French government is a case in point for that.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.6  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.5    5 years ago

Do you agree with tax-exempt status for churches?

Do you agree with fundamentalists writing abortion law?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.6    5 years ago
Do you agree with tax-exempt status for churches?

Lol .... on to the next thing eh Bob?

I can argue both sides of that one but ...... right now a lot of homeless people are very thankful for the churches that are sheltering and feeding them.

So yeah, a lot of good does come from it where i live.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
7.1.9  katrix  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.5    5 years ago
Of course i don't worry about things like a bakery that won't bake a cake for me.   I just move on and find another one who will.

I guess I see that as a fundamental difference between you and me.  Equal rights are important to me - for everyone.  The rationale you used was brought up by those who opposed the Civil Rights movement, and it was immoral bullshit then too. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.10  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.7    5 years ago
a lot of homeless people are very thankful for the churches that are sheltering and feeding them

As I said... American are accustomed to ceding their freedoms to church authorities.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.11  Bob Nelson  replied to  Release The Kraken @7.1.8    5 years ago

As at Georgetown...  jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

France has existed as a recognizable political entity for well over a thousand years. There has been time to win a few, to lose a few. The French look back a bit farther than Americans do.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.13  Bob Nelson  replied to  Release The Kraken @7.1.12    5 years ago

As far as you wish.

The important date for most Americans is October 19, 1781, at Yorktown, Virginia, when a British army, blockaded by a French fleet, was defeated by a French army... leading to American independence.

The Brits may remember a certain Norman bastard. The language we're writing is his doing.

Most of Europe remembers - not too fondly - a Corsican. He remodeled the continent definitively. His law code is still the basis for many countries' codes.

There have been ups and downs.

Your point?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.15  Bob Nelson  replied to  Release The Kraken @7.1.14    5 years ago

Interesting question. Why don't you dress a list?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.16  Sparty On  replied to  katrix @7.1.9    5 years ago

Bullshit and SCOTUS agrees.

Here's where you say SCOTUS is biased because they went against your preconceived notions of what is fair and what is not.

I can tell you what the real difference between you and i is.   I'm for liberty and freedom of choice for everyone, in all possible cases.   You are as well but only when it fits your preferred narrative.   Big difference.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.17  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.10    5 years ago

Lol again.   Nothing ceded but much gained buy the homeless   At least someone is taking care of them.  

By contrast I've been to Paris.   Yes, the city of light.   I saw how the French take care of their homeless.   They leave them to sleep on the street.   Very secular, very humane.

And you have the temerity to talk about the US in this regard.   Hilarious!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.18  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.17    5 years ago

I split my time between my two countries. I know both fairly well.

I have no doubt at all, that being poor in America is far worse.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.19  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.18    5 years ago

Granted, my time in France was limited but the homelessness and pandering on the streets was abhorrent when i was there.

From what i saw it's just as bad or worse in Paris France as most big cities in the USA but by all means.  

Lets debate the minutia about how much worse "bad" can be.  /S

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.20  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.19    5 years ago
Lets debate...

Better idea: let's look at whether the situation in each country is acceptable, without reference to any other.

Is it acceptable for the wealthiest nation in the history of the world to have homeless, undernourished poor?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.21  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.20    5 years ago
Better idea: let's look at whether the situation in each country is acceptable, without reference to any other.

For someone who sez they have lived in France for so long its pretty strange that you seem to have lost the ability to recognize sarcasm ..... even with the /s

Is it acceptable for the wealthiest nation in the history of the world to have homeless, undernourished poor?

Certainly not but its just not quite that simple is it?   Otherwise France, one of the oldest established nations on earth would have already figured it out.

Right?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.22  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.21    5 years ago
Certainly not but its just not quite that simple is it?

Actually, yes! It is that simple.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.23  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.22    5 years ago

So if its so simple, why hasn't France fixed it after what ..... 1200 years?

France must be really bad at this.   Clearly much worse than the USA.   We're a baby by time comparison.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.24  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.23    5 years ago

Your fixation on France is unhealthy, you know.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.25  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.24    5 years ago

Nope, not fixated on France in the least.   However i admit, i do tend to fixate on hypocrisy whenever it rears its ugly head.

Therefore, i end up in conversations like this.

C'est la vie as the wheel turns around and around on NT ......

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
8  FLYNAVY1    5 years ago

Ahhhhhhh.......A world without religion..... Imagine how much further ahead humanity would be than we are today.

( Yes, I did!  I pulled the pin on that grenade! )

epistte
Junior Guide
8.1  epistte  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @8    5 years ago

Only about 1500 years ahead of where we are now.

Given mankind's desire to kill each other we would likely have found other reasons to kill instead of who has the best god and who that God demands that we subjugate.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  epistte @8.1    5 years ago

When I taught the younger grades, I used to read my classes this short story called "Tusk, Tusk". Bottom line, humans are very tribal like our cousins, the chimp.

51YQO4C54cL._SL500_AA300_.jpg?resize=930