╌>

It's a 'theyby': How one Florida family is raising a gender-neutral child

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  5 years ago  •  57 comments

It's a 'theyby': How one Florida family is raising a gender-neutral child

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Sparrow's parents decided to raise their baby without a known sex, giving Sparrow the option to choose gender free from stereotypes.

ORLANDO, Fla. — Many parents find out the sex of their child before the baby is born. 

Others opt for the surprise, waiting to hear, "it's a boy" or 'its a girl."

However, some families are exploring another option by raising a "gender neutral" child.

Instead of "boy" or "girl," gender neutral babies are known as "theybies". "Theybies" refer to babies without a known sex.

This parenting philosophy means only the parents and trusted caregivers know the baby's anatomy. They believe the gender part comes later and is left up to the child. Ari Dennis is one of those parents.

"We did not assign a sex at birth which means when they were born, they had genitals, we know what they are, we just chose to acknowledge that those genitals don't indicate anything about gender," Dennis said.

Sparrow is a smiling, curious, adorable 11-month-old baby. If you met Sparrow, you might ask if Sparrow is a boy or girl.

The answer -- to be determined.

Coming Monday on 10News, an interview with Sparrow's family about raising a child who's neither a boy nor a girl.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

More looney millennial nut cases trying to deny biology, while subjecting their children to their whacked out ideas!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4  TᵢG    5 years ago
"We did not assign a sex at birth which means when they were born, they had genitals, we know what they are, we just chose to acknowledge that those genitals don't indicate anything about gender [identity]," Dennis said.

Genitals, when binary (i.e. not a hermaphrodite) define the sex.   The vast majority of the time, sex matches gender identity.   In those cases where they do not, the child (as an adult) will figure this out.

I see no way to create a neutral environment in life to allow a child to freely choose its gender identity.  Not if you raise your child as part of society (vs. hermits).  Further, to leave this choice up to a child is irresponsible.   Hazel, in the video, is the elder child who apparently is biologically male.   Apparently Hazel decided that she was female (who knows why - possibly because both parents are biologically female?) and they legally changed her name and gender.   

My advice to these parents is that if you want your child to be free to determine their gender identity then do not try to impose an artificial environment with utterly confusing 'they' pronouns and related nonsense.   Go with the biological sex; empirically, chances are very high that this is how your freely-developing child will identify anyway.   If your male child wants to play with dolls then, if you are so inclined, let him do so.   If your female child wants to be superman on Halloween then, if you are so inclined, let her do so.   But let the child evolve as part of society (given it is impossible for you to isolate from society) until they are at an age of reason.   Then support their chosen identity.

As an aside, 'Sparrow' is generally taken as a female name.   As I noted, it is next to impossible to truly create a neutral, unbiased environment.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
4.1  katrix  replied to  TᵢG @4    5 years ago

Very well said. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  katrix @4.1    5 years ago

Don't most good parents expose their kids to all kinds of toys and experiences and the kids get there themselves? I know I did. And when my daughters had questions about being gay, I told them they would figure it out. You know what? They did. No big deal in our home.

This reminds me of when children who were born hermaphrodites in the '50s and '60s and because it was easier to turn everyone into a girl, a lot of males were made into girls. Later in life, they were all suffering from depression. Many had a reversal of back to the sex they were originally born with. 

In most cases, people are the gender that their chromosomes say they are. If they are not, in any loving household, this can be discussed and adjusted. We don't need to look for problems.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
4.1.2  katrix  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.1    5 years ago
In most cases, people are the gender that their chromosomes say they are. If they are not, in any loving household, this can be discussed and adjusted. We don't need to look for problems.

Exactly.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5  It Is ME    5 years ago

Letting children self regulate themselves …………….. OMG ! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Houston, we now know why we have a "Snowflake" problem. "Parents" like THIS.  jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

She named her kid "Sparrow" ?

Does she truly want her kid to be a "Bird" ?

Love her booger catcher ! jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    5 years ago
We did not assign a sex at birth

Which is a little silly because sex isn't assigned. It simply is. Now, if this baby grows up to live in ways that don't conform to gender stereotypes, that's fine, but its sex is just a biological fact. If he/she turns out be one of the tiny percentage of people who has some kind of dysphoria about that, then by all means seek treatment. But hiding the kid's sex from the world seems like a silly, pointless (and probably political) exercise.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8  bbl-1    5 years ago

Gender neutral baby? 

1.  The point of this is...………...what.

2.  Damn good thing the Taliban aren't weaponized.

3.  Even a better thing the christian Taliban haven't quite grabbed that brass ring yet.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
9  luther28    5 years ago

Just when you think that the world cannot get any stranger, it does.

Small wonder psychology is such a booming business.

Ender
Professor Principal
10  Ender    5 years ago

The poor kid is already in for a world of hurt later on in life...just with the name alone.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
10.2  katrix  replied to  Ender @10    5 years ago
The poor kid is already in for a world of hurt later on in life...just with the name alone.

Oh, I don't know about that.  Sparrow is a relatively benign name, compared with some of the names that parents come up with.  It just sounds like a hippie nature type of name, but that's not really abnormal any more.

Ender
Professor Principal
10.2.2  Ender  replied to  katrix @10.2    5 years ago

If the child is a girl I think she would be fine. A boy, not so much.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
10.2.3  bbl-1  replied to  Release The Kraken @10.2.1    5 years ago

Or Tiger.  I have a cat named Tiger.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
11  Rmando    5 years ago

I'm going to be real interested in what the fallout will be when these kids reach puberty and beyond. I'm guessing a lot of heartache and ruined lives. You can't just ignore nature.