╌>

Democrats for Family Values

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  nerm-l  •  5 years ago  •  40 comments

Democrats for Family Values
Visions and values are great, but Democrats also need to be ready to hit the ground running with plans that might actually turn into legislation.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Democrats have a persistent problem with creating policy that exacerbates the conditions they claim to want changed.

Paul Krugman identifies the underlying problem:

'For millions of Americans with children, life is a constant, desperate balancing act. They must work during the day, either because they’re single parents or because decades of wage stagnation mean that both parents must take jobs to make ends meet. Yet quality child care is unavailable or unaffordable."

However, the policy proposal for an expansion of government supported child care would, in reality, subsidize stagnant wages and does not alleviate the need for people to work more to make ends meet.  Government supported child care would be a huge handout for businesses.  There isn't any incentive for businesses to pay living wages or provide child care benefits to compete for workers. 

Family values depends upon families being able to support themselves.  Yes, it is certainly possible for the government to create all sorts of programs; that's just a matter of accounting.  Creating plans is easy.  But proposing policy that provides another subsidy allowing businesses to pay low wages and provide fewer benefits doesn't really measure up to the 'feel good' political promises. 

Democrats are only proposing the same policies as do Republican; Democrats only wrap those policies with different emotional appeals.  Democrats aren't going to fix problems with these kinds of policies.  Democrats can create plans to provide all sorts of benefits, that's easy.  But the underlying problem identified by Paul Krugman is going to persist.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Nerm_L    5 years ago

Democrats need to learn that treating the symptoms won't solve the underlying problem.  

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Nerm_L @1    5 years ago
treating the symptoms won't solve the underlying problem

How exactly do we address the underlying problem of white supremacists, Nazi's, confederate wannabe's and right-wing domestic terrorists? You can't force someone to not be a bigot, you can only address the actions their bigotry may inspire. Family values rely upon all of us making sure the next generation knows that hating other based on their race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, faith or lack thereof is truly deplorable and acting on that hate is no longer acceptable in America.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Nerm_L  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1    5 years ago
How exactly do we address the underlying problem of white supremacists, Nazi's, confederate wannabe's and right-wing domestic terrorists? You can't force someone to not be a bigot, you can only address the actions their bigotry may inspire. Family values rely upon all of us making sure the next generation knows that hating other based on their race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, faith or lack thereof is truly deplorable and acting on that hate is no longer acceptable in America.

Perhaps the underlying problem is that people feel excluded.  The list you provide highlight distinctions and differences.  But isn't a commonality among all those listed that they have felt excluded?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Nerm_L @1.1.1    5 years ago

But isn't a commonality among all those listed that they have felt excluded?

They may feel that way, but they have exactly the same rights as any other American.  This stems all the way back to the so called "war on Christmas", the government never required anyone to NOT say Merry Christmas, but because people were not forced to say it, some Christians believed the government was working against them.

Some people claim discrimination because they actually want to be favored and have preferential treatment.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.2  1stwarrior  replied to  Nerm_L @1    5 years ago

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  1stwarrior @1.2    5 years ago

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

overnment supported child care would be a huge handout for businesses.

Of course it would. Prices would skyrocket. Look at what subsidized student loans did to the cost of university tuition.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    5 years ago

Democrats entire platform for "Fuck ups" is simply this......Fund it !

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  It Is ME @3    5 years ago

Ahhhhhh...... So that explains where there's so much corporate welfare.  Thanks!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.1    5 years ago

Those fuck ups include the kids and school funding and school lunch programs I assume ?!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.1    5 years ago
So that explains where there's so much corporate welfare. 

Those "Corporations" fund your paycheck.....AND.....your out of service "Wants" ! jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.2    5 years ago
Those "Corporations" fund your paycheck.....AND.....your out of service "Wants" !

Or does the corporate welfare that the government hand out fund  the paychecks?  Wasn't that the whole premise behind the corporate welfare?  Trickle down???

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.3    5 years ago
Or does the corporate welfare that the government hand out fund  the paychecks?

Gee AOC......they didn't actually get handed 3 billion dollars.....duh !

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.1.5  bbl-1  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.2    5 years ago

No, those corporations make your paycheck smaller and your buying power smaller too.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.6  It Is ME  replied to  bbl-1 @3.1.5    5 years ago
No, those corporations make your paycheck smaller

You took a pay cut ?

Only an Idiot would do that and still stay with the same company !

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.1.7  bbl-1  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.6    5 years ago

You think to small.  The world is larger than one dice.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.8  It Is ME  replied to  bbl-1 @3.1.7    5 years ago
You think to small.

No..... I think BIG....thus my response !

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @3    5 years ago

Democrats entire platform for "Fuck ups" is simply this......Fund it !

That explains Trump's tax reforms.  Republican's entire platform for middle class is simply ........ "Fuck you"!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @3.2    5 years ago
That explains Trump's tax reforms.  Republican's entire platform for middle class is simply

YOU....don't pay taxes do you !

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @3.2.1    5 years ago

YOU....don't pay taxes do you !

Ignorant thing to say, I pay taxes every single day.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.2.3  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @3.2.2    5 years ago
Ignorant thing to say, I pay taxes every single day.

Then you should have seen a "Change" for the better, if you did your returns correctly.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2.4  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @3.2.3    5 years ago

[deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.2.5  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @3.2.4    5 years ago

I'm sorry you lost on your taxes!

I won on my taxes ! It's my money and I wanted to keep it NOW !

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    5 years ago

What bugs me is that the Democrats cannot stick to any one issue.

The last election most of them ran on making healthcare better. Now that seems to be tossed aside and we have this...

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1  bbl-1  replied to  Ender @4    5 years ago

Hard to stick to one issue when the gambit runs from wealth concentration to coal ash in the streams and everything in-between. 

Besides, the GOPERs got caught in North Carolina but did manage to slide through in the Dakotas.  MAGA still stands.  Be wary of the Chinese birth control, it is ineffective and is implanted with the Stepford enzyme.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Ender  replied to  bbl-1 @4.1    5 years ago

True but stick to one problem and actually try to fix it. Instead of spreading themselves so thin nothing gets done. Which is what usually happens. Especially when the other side of the isle seems to be a hive mind.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  bbl-1  replied to  Ender @4.1.1    5 years ago

The GOP has some issues.  'Hive mind'?  Nah.  More to it that that. 

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Ender  replied to  bbl-1 @4.1.2    5 years ago

yeah, it is just imo they can be a solid voting block. (most of the time)

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

You know, I presume, that I already seeded this ....

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Nerm_L  replied to  Bob Nelson @5    5 years ago
You know, I presume, that I already seeded this....

No, I missed yours before I seeded this one.  I can take this one down if that is what you desire.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Ender  replied to  Nerm_L @5.1    5 years ago

I commented on yours as I am not a member of Bobs group. I would keep it up.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Ender @5.1.1    5 years ago

It's open. Join. Seed!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  Nerm_L @5.1    5 years ago

No big deal... It happens. Let it run.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Ender  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.2    5 years ago

I was a member but will not be a member of a group where I am told I cannot cuss or use words deemed offensive.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.5  Bob Nelson  replied to  Ender @5.1.4    5 years ago

OK

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
6  mocowgirl    5 years ago
However, the policy proposal for an expansion of government supported child care would, in reality, subsidize stagnant wages and does not alleviate the need for people to work more to make ends meet.  Government supported child care would be a huge handout for businesses.  There isn't any incentive for businesses to pay living wages or provide child care benefits to compete for workers. 

No way should the US government be paying for anyone's child care so they can work.

I would much rather see the potential worker trained to be employed in sectors that pay enough that the worker can afford to pay their own childcare and other living expenses.  This would help the worker, their child(ren), the business where they are ultimately employed, and the US economy since we would have more taxpayers and fewer workers on welfare.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
7  luther28    5 years ago

Family values depends upon families being able to support themselves

Well that is one piece of the puzzle, a stable home life (I believe our current divorce rate is around 40 to 50% over time) comes into play, parental character and involvement as well their environment to mention a few. No cut and dry definition for family values.