╌>

Grand Canyon Offers Biblical Perspective Tour

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  make-america-great-again  •  5 years ago  •  80 comments

Grand Canyon Offers Biblical Perspective Tour
“We believe the great flood of Genesis was an actual historic, global, catastrophic event in its extent and effect. It is this flood that is responsible for the deposition, formation, and subsequent sculpturing of much of the earth’s geologic record as we know it today.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

One of the worlds biggest tourist attractions is offering a Biblical perspective tour on how it was formed.

The Grand Canyon recently celebrated it “100th birthday” on February 26. In honor of its “birthday”, Liftablehighlighted Canyon Ministries as the “the only tour company at the Grand Canyon that provides guided tours from a biblical standpoint.”

The Christian tour group teaches about the creation of the Grand Canyon from a Biblical perspective, rather than a secular viewpoint. As opposed to believing that the Grand Canyon was formed over millions of years, the group teaches the story of Creation.

“We believe the account of origins presented in Genesis occurred in the span of six consecutive twenty-four hour days six to ten thousand years ago.

“We believe the great flood of Genesis was an actual historic, global, catastrophic event in its extent and effect. It is this flood that is responsible for the deposition, formation, and subsequent sculpturing of much of the earth’s geologic record as we know it today.”

Director of Rim Tour Operations at Canyon Ministries Nate Looper explains to Liftable their viewpoint on how the Canyon was created, “We also believe there was a global flood as the Bible later describes. This flood was the primary mechanism for the worldwide distribution of water-laid sedimentary rock layers, along with the massive death and burial scientists call the fossil record.”

“As these trapped waters continued to fill the Colorado Plateau from melting glacial ice, streams, and rivers, this water breached through the southwestern side of the bowl, and catastrophic exponential drainage of the breached dam created a large crack or ‘drainage ditch’ we now see as the Grand Canyon.”

While the tour group is dedicating to spreading the Biblical teachings of Creation, they have a higher overall goal.

“We are a team committed to Christ, and enthusiastic about sharing the gospel through the biblical message of the Grand Canyon to all who will listen.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    5 years ago

“The Grand Canyon recently celebrated it “100th birthday” on February 26. In honor of its “birthday”, Liftablehighlighted Canyon Ministries as the “the only tour company at the Grand Canyon that provides guided tours from a biblical standpoint.”

The Christian tour group teaches about the creation of the Grand Canyon from a Biblical perspective, rather than a secular viewpoint. As opposed to believing that the Grand Canyon was formed over millions of years, the group teaches the story of Creation.

“We believe the account of origins presented in Genesis occurred in the span of six consecutive twenty-four hour days six to ten thousand years ago.”

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago

It's beauty is unsurpassed...I've visited many times and each and every time is a wonder to behold. 

If you going to visit I would recommend a couple of things. 

There are six natives tribes that live in and around the canyon. Take the time to visit and really learn of the ancient times. Natives American have lived IN the canyon for over 4,000 years. The Hualapai and Havasupai currently live IN the canyon itself. 

Stop by the Sky Walk at Eagle Point for those of you with some real daring it's the place to go. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1  Dulay  replied to  Kavika @3    5 years ago

The next time I go it WILL be to the Havasupai campground. I just have to get there while I can still make the hike...

katrix
Sophomore Participates
4  katrix    5 years ago

“We are a team committed to Christ, and enthusiastic about sharing the gospel through the biblical message of the Grand Canyon to all who will listen"

Come on, anyone who chooses ignorance, and listen to our lies about proven geology!

The Noah myth was plagiarized from Gilgamesh, an ancient Sumerian legend which started out about a river flood, and was later embellished as an entire earth flood.  But I'm sure the idiots in this group, such as Nate Looper, won't let themselves read Gilgamesh, because they couldn't handle the similarities. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  katrix @4    5 years ago

There are stories of a great flood in many cultures.  That the sumerians had the story before God called Abraham out of there to settle in Canaan and become the father of His people from Isaac to the messiah to the current global Christian population means nothing.  That Abraham knew of the Great Flood and Babel before Moses wrote about it 500 years or so later, does nothing to diminish it.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.1  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2    5 years ago

Stories are just that-stories. Different cultures can borrow, adapt, and even embellish another culture's stories to make it their own. Much like fairy tales are. But there is no empirical evidence to support a biblical level flood. If anything, current geological evidence contradicts the biblical flood.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     5 years ago

Photos of the Sky Walk at Eagle Point....Glass bottom and it's 4,000 feet straight down....LOL

skywalk-grand-Canyon.jpg

Grand-Canyon-Skywalk-bridge-2.jpg

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1  Dulay  replied to  Kavika @5    5 years ago

Can you hear me screaming NO! from where you are Kavika? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Dulay @5.1    5 years ago
Can you hear me screaming NO! from where you are Kavika? 

You're coming in loud and clear, Dulay...LOLOLOL

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6  Raven Wing    5 years ago

Oh my....just looking at that puts my Vertigo into high gear. jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_85_smiley_image.gif

And I have been to Grand Canyon, when I was 7 years old. At that age I would hang over the rail to look down as far as I could.  jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Too bad we have to grow up. jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Raven Wing @6    5 years ago

I don't think I could walk on that thing.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1    5 years ago

I would try it

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.1    5 years ago

That’s scarier than the glass bottom swimming pool overhanging at the top of an 800 ft tower or the ride in Las Vegas tower that overhangs at 1200’. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.2  Split Personality  replied to  Raven Wing @6    5 years ago

I think the helicopter tour is safer, lol.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Split Personality @6.2    5 years ago

Only with a lot of sedation. LOL!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Raven Wing @6.2.1    5 years ago

Helicopter rides are pretty cool. I've been in 2 of them

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.2.3  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2.2    5 years ago

Doors open?

jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @6.2.3    5 years ago

negative

but 2 of my uncles did

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.2.5  Freefaller  replied to  Split Personality @6.2.3    5 years ago
Doors open?

Lol yep and then rappelled to the ground when it stopped

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7  Freefaller    5 years ago
“the only tour company at the Grand Canyon that provides guided tours from a biblical standpoint.”

I like a good laugh maybe I'll take that tour one of these days, the Ark Encounter was certainly worth the money

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Freefaller @7    5 years ago

It is the story of evolution that is the sickest joke ever perpetrated upon mankind.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1    5 years ago

That's hilarious,  especially since evolution has lots if supporting empirical evidence. Your creationist nonsense, not so much, as in none at all!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1    5 years ago
It is the story of evolution that is the sickest joke ever perpetrated upon mankind.  

I could almost appreciate someone admitting that they just cannot fathom how evolution could work - that they cannot comprehend the enormity of a duration like 250,000 years much less the 3.5 billion years of evolution that has taken place on this planet (3.5 billion is a duration of one million years repeated 3,500 times).   That is simply a failure to comprehend a duration that is more than 43 million times larger than a human life of 80 years.   It is a number and a concept that is hard to fathom - life evolving over such an enormous period of tim e.

I could also almost appreciate that someone, in spite of the truly quality information available today, would still not understand the basic concept of genetic mutation (variations on lifeforms due to errant copying of DNA).   Stuff like whiter fur, longer tongue, etc. which can make it incrementally easier for a creature to survive in its environment (natural selection) and pass its mutations to its progeny.   And, over long periods of time, the features that best support survival are those that are emphasized as generation after generation of creatures are produced.

And I could appreciate one not being aware that science observes this in the rare situations where reproductive mutation has been high.   So not only do we have substantial fossil records, corroborating DNA, but also empirical data of evolution in process.    The evidence for evolution is overwhelming.

I suppose it is possible for someone to be ignorant of all this (and more).  They have no excuse for such ignorance, but I understand that most people are not that concerned with details of science and just ' leave that up to others '.   But what I cannot appreciate is someone who does not stop at the point of ' I just do not understand how evolution could work ' and arrogantly continues on to ' evolution is a worldwide conspiracy '.

Such a perspective goes well beyond willful ignorance into what might be called malicious ignorance.

It is that kind of thinking that keeps con artists like those at Answers In Genesis funded and able to continue their mission of purposely dumbing down as many young minds as they can reach so as to propagate the YEC nonsense to yet another generation.

Dr. Francis Collins is a devout Christian and one of the leading scientists in genetic research.   He is also co-founder of biologos — a Christian organization whose purpose is to teach real science to Christians and help them reconcile science with their beliefs.    I recommend that all YEC break free of the crap that YEC organizations are feeding them and turn to organizations like biologos who are there to educate people on science and religion rather than indoctrinate with nonsense.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1    5 years ago

Even if there was a great flood, the bible was written in the Middle East. There is no way to prove it was a world event. So there is no way to say what did or didn't happen on this side of the globe. 

That aside, there are photos of the Grand Canyon that are older than 100 years old, and all of them are easily dated. 

Evolution is part of the natural order of things. Even now, we are evolving. Why do you think that it's such a terrible thing?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7.1.5  Freefaller  replied to    5 years ago
There is no physical or geological evidence of the Biblical flood.

Just to add to the above, there is also no genetic evidence.  If there was some global catastrophe that wiped out all but two of every animal and all but seven humans a mere 7-10 thousand years ago it would be patently obvious in our genes

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.6  Gordy327  replied to  Freefaller @7.1.5    5 years ago

In addition to that, a biblical flood would be a mass extinction event, of which there is neither geological or paleontological evidence.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7.1.7  dave-2693993  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1.4    5 years ago
Even if there was a great flood, the bible was written in the Middle East. There is no way to prove it was a world event. So there is no way to say what did or didn't happen on this side of the globe. 

Hold that thought. This article is ripe for some geology lessons. We live in a golden era. We are learning so much about our past.

Please has patience. I am sick, moving slow, have a few things to do and would like to start off with some highlights of the western hemisphere.

Like to say brb, but, hmmmm, might be a little longer.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7.1.8  dave-2693993  replied to  dave-2693993 @7.1.7    5 years ago

maga, I have some counter points regarding flooding on large geographic scales I would like to present and hope it falls within scope of point/counterpoint discussion of your article.

When I think of mega floods the first name that pops into my mind is Nick Zentner, Geology professor at Central Washington University.

Here is one of my favorite geology lectures. In my mind he is to Geology as Alice Roberts is to Biological Anthropology and Bettany Hughes is to Classical History.

Up front I need to apologize to anyone unable to follow along on youtube.

Here is a link to Nicks website where there may be other media available.

Also, an internet search of Nick Zentner podcasts should turn up a couple sites as well.

The title of this lecture is:

Did Humans Witness the Ice Age Floods?

I hope Kavika, Raven Wing or 1st catch wind of this lecture as due to family situations, I lack the history which might identify some Native legends that might reflect some of the events covered in this lecture.

It starts off educational, entertaining and gets better from there.

Embedding resulted in a 500 server error. Making comments about it isn't working well either.

Here is the link:

Debating which to present next.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7.1.9  dave-2693993  replied to  dave-2693993 @7.1.8    5 years ago

This is a little less detailed than the prior vid, yet highlights some of the recent discoveries of the north west Ice Age floods.

Youtube vid Entitled:

Ice Age Floods, Lake Missoula, Bonneville Flood and the Columbia River Basalts

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7.1.10  dave-2693993  replied to  dave-2693993 @7.1.9    5 years ago

Before moving to the Grand Canyon, I have an article focused on the often forgotten and/or misunderstood Ice Age Lake Bonneville. The flood from this lake was twice that of the largest Lake Missoula flood, but very different and was only a single flood.

First here is a discussion and anyone interested must follow the link, as i do not know how to embed the vid here;

I will paste as much of the article I can here, but again I do not know how the embed the vid.

Interview: Jim O'Connor

Jim O’Connor , a Portland-based hydrologist for the U.S. Geological Survey , has been a steady contributor to research on floods of all types in the Pacific Northwest.

[Interview Vid Belongs Here]

Nick Zentner interviews Lake Bonneville Flood expert Jim O'Connor.

In an interview recorded on April 7, 2011 at Central Washington University, Dr. Jim O’Connor visits Ellensburg to reflect on Ice Age Floods research since the pioneering work of J Harlen Bretz – and compares southern Idaho’s Bonneville Flood with eastern Washington’s more familiar Missoula Floods.

A former University of Arizona graduate student who studied under well-known floods geologist Vic Baker (CWU geologist Lisa Ely was a fellow Baker student at the time), Jim is part of the next wave of field geologists that have worked on unsolved mysteries in the Channeled Scablands. J Harlen Bretz started fieldwork on eastern Washington’s Ice Age Floods features in the 1920’s, Vic Baker and Richard Waitt began in the 1960’s, and Jim’s colleagues got their start in the 1980’s. In addition to Dr. O’Connor, Brian Atwater and Gerardo Benito have added rich detail to the timing, volume, and velocity of the floodwater that dramatically changed the appearance of eastern Washington.

Later in the interview, Jim discusses his landmark work on the Bonneville Flood – a result of Utah’s Lake Bonneville spilling over Red Rock Pass and surging into southern Idaho’s Snake River drainage. The floor of the Snake River Canyon and Hell’s Canyon is littered with Bonneville Flood deposits – and Jim’s experience mapping both in Idaho and eastern Washington allows him to carefully compare and contrast the deposits of both the Bonneville Flood and the Missoula Floods.

Late in the interview, Jim describes his work with the US Geological Survey’s Water Science Center in Portland, Oregon. Dr. O’Connor is an authority on the Pleistocene Ice Age Floods history of the Columbia River Gorge – and he works on more recent, historic floods on the Columbia and other rivers of the Northwest.

USGS-Jim-OConnor.jpg

Interesting Bonneville Flood Slide Show

Jim-Oconnor-Bonneville.jpg

Missoula-Bonneville-Flood.jpg

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7.1.11  dave-2693993  replied to  dave-2693993 @7.1.10    5 years ago

Feeling some fatigue these past couple days, but should have some info on the Grand Canyon this weekend.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  dave-2693993 @7.1.11    5 years ago

I hope you feel better soon

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7.1.13  dave-2693993  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.12    5 years ago

Thank you Trout.

Here is a pretty good vid covering one of the more readily accepted theories of the Grand Canyon origin. There are some others thathave come up, one in particular around 2012 that I think may contain some contradictory language of about geology.

The vid has some repetitive statements as if it is coming out of commercial break along the way, but other than that entertaining and educational.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.2  Gordy327  replied to  Freefaller @7    5 years ago

The Ark was worth it to Ken Hamm. He certainly fleeced the gullible and/or ignorant to build it.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.2.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @7.2    5 years ago

He’s done a great public service.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.2.2  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.2.1    5 years ago
He’s done a great public service.

Like what: scamming people, playing on or to their ignorance, promoting ignorance and misinformation? Hardly a great thing. Unless one is a con man.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.2.3  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @7.2.2    5 years ago

It just kills me that some will blindly accept biblical nonsense from the likes of Ken Ham and then deny the findings of science.  With all the info available today!   Faith disables critical thinking.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.2.4  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @7.2.3    5 years ago
It just kills me that some will blindly accept biblical nonsense from the likes of Ken Ham and then deny the findings of science. With all the info available today!  

Tell me about. I just cannot comprehend such a mentality.

Faith disables critical thinking.

Along with promoting willful ignorance.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
7.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Freefaller @7    5 years ago
I like a good laugh maybe I'll take that tour one of these days, the Ark Encounter was certainly worth the money

I think Britain should get in on this. They could have tours of their old decaying castles and call them "Harry Potter" tours where they walk around and point out damage done during the battle between the death eaters and the ministry of magic.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7.3.1  Freefaller  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @7.3    5 years ago
They could have tours of their old decaying castles and call them "Harry Potter" tours

Brilliant, it's as factual and certainly sounds more fun than religion.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.3.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Freefaller @7.3.1    5 years ago

Actually, those castles are amazing as are the Roman ruins across Europe. But those French cave paintings really blew me away. Seeing the art work of early man, is just amazing.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7.3.3  Freefaller  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.3.2    5 years ago
But those French cave paintings really blew me away.

Would have loved to see those but never had the opportunity when I was there.  You are absolutely correct about the rest, when I lived in Germany the little town just down the road from me still had remnants of the old city wall that surrounding it dating from 1200yrs ago.  Just amazing

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
7.3.4  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Freefaller @7.3.1    5 years ago
it's as factual and certainly sounds more fun than religion.

And not only that but it's easier to explain with fewer contradictions. You don't have to try and contort logic to explain how a supposed global flood organized dinosaurs in each layer of sediment so that you wouldn't have the Precambrian species above the Jurassic or Triassic species and that they aren't just all mixed up in a single sedimentary level as one would expect after a global flood. With Harry Potter you can just swish and flick and "poof" the answer is always "magic!" though YEC's basically do the same thing, just without the swish and flick. They use "kneel and pray" as their magic activator.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
8  Larry Hampton    5 years ago

I hear the Christian Grand Canyon tour includes dinosaur rides.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Larry Hampton @8    5 years ago

“The Christian tour group teaches about the creation of the Grand Canyon from a Biblical perspective, rather than a secular viewpoint. As opposed to believing that the Grand Canyon was formed over millions of years, the group teaches the story of Creation.

“We believe the account of origins presented in Genesis occurred in the span of six consecutive twenty-four hour days six to ten thousand years ago.

Director of Rim Tour Operations at Canyon Ministries Nate Looper explains to Liftable their viewpoint on how the Canyon was created, “We also believe there was a global flood as the Bible later describes. This flood was the primary mechanism for the worldwide distribution of water-laid sedimentary rock layers, along with the massive death and burial scientists call the fossil record.””

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1    5 years ago

Deny science, deny facts and instead teach (as fact) a literal interpretation of an ancient book.   What could possibly be wrong with that?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1    5 years ago
“The Christian tour group teaches about the creation of the Grand Canyon from a Biblical perspective,

Which is BS and myth.

rather than a secular viewpoint.

Which is established scientific fact.

As opposed to believing that the Grand Canyon was formed over millions of years, the group teaches the story of Creation.

Belief does not equal fact.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @8.1.1    5 years ago
What could possibly be wrong with that?

Only everything.

(as fact) a literal interpretation of an ancient book.

Which is the epitome of illogical and possibly delusional.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1.2    5 years ago

And yet you too are nothing more than a believer....

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.5  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1.4    5 years ago

There is a difference between believing something to be factual based on clear and convincing evidence vs. believing something simply because another human being claimed it to be true.

Believing the Grand Canyon was formed by the demonstrably incorrect belief in a worldwide flood thousands of years ago in direct contrast with the well established scientific evidence that dates the canyon between 5-6 million years old, is an example of believing merely what one is told vs. being persuaded by the evidence (i.e. following the evidence to where it leads, even if it is not what you wish to be true).

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.6  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1.4    5 years ago
And yet you too are nothing more than a believer..

Wrong! I don't go be belief. I go by the evidence, which science provides and what religious based nonsense is notably absent of. Especially when scientific evidence directly and logically contradicts biblical beliefs or explanations. You're the one who seems to think or wants belief to be equal to fact. I assure you, it is not.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.7  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1.6    5 years ago

When it comes to articles on science or religion I will no longer see your input on those seeds.  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1.7    5 years ago

Because that's in keeping with the unbiased nature of science jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.9  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1.7    5 years ago
When it comes to articles on science or religion I will no longer see your input on those seeds.

Why wouldn't you? Especially when it comes to pointing out the disingenuous and inaccurate BS you typically peddle!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1.9    5 years ago

I think he's referring to the new ignore feature.  He plans to ignore opposing views, while complaining about bias.

Too funny!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.11  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.10    5 years ago
I think he's referring to the new ignore feature. 

I was not aware of that new feature. Thanks for pointing it out.

He plans to ignore opposing views, while complaining about bias.

Not surprising. All he seems to want is an echo chamber with no disagreement or opposition to his religious based BS! It's intellectual dishonesty and cowardice at its worst.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.12  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.10    5 years ago

That’s not the issue at all since it applied to no one else.  I’m not going to meta as to why.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.13  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1.11    5 years ago

The beauty of that though is you remain free to rebut whatever you wish and will likely not see platitude-level counter 'rebuttals'.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.14  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1.12    5 years ago
That’s not the issue at all since it applied to no one else.  

Sure sounds like it.

I’m not going to meta as to why.  

Looks like you're learning, as you've been called out for going meta before.