╌>

Mark Meadows: Republican claims ‘there is not a racial bone’ in his body after ‘birther’ comments unearthed

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  21 comments

Mark Meadows: Republican claims ‘there is not a racial bone’ in his body after ‘birther’ comments unearthed

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Politics

102b4830-25c0-11e7-a66a-23957430fe89_lat   Sarah Harvard, The Independent   15 hours ago

Republican representative   Mark Meadows   defended himself from   allegations of racism this week, one day after his testy argument over race erupted during a   House Oversight and Reform Committee hearing   for former Trump campaign fixer   Michael Cohen .

The day after Mr Meadows was accused of committing a “racist act” during Cohen’s testimony, an unearthed video from 2012 features the North Carolina Republican saying he wanted then-President Barack Obama to go back “home to Kenya.”

“Anyone who knows me knows that there is not a racial bone in my body,” Mr Meadows told CNN, in defence of the documented racist remarks.“It was early on in a primary and certainly didn’t indicate any personal malice that I would have toward any president.”

In the resurfaced video, Mr Meadows is seen speaking to a crowd while campaigning for his congressional seat. He told his supporters he wanted to “take back our country.”

“What we’re going to do is take back our country; 2012 is the time that we’re going to send Mr. Obama home to Kenya or wherever it is,” Mr Meadows said in the video.

President   Donald Trump   was one of the most vocal and prominent proponents of the “ birther   movement,” which falsely accused Mr Obama, a natural born citizen from Hawaii, is not an an American citizen.

The video was widely-circulated on social media after Mr Meadows’ heated exchange with Democratic Rep.   Rashida Tlaib   during Cohen’s bombshell congressional testimony.

In the hearing, Mr Meadows argued the president is not a racist since he has an African-American woman, Lynne Patton, a high-ranking official in the Department of Housing and Urban Development, supporting and working in his administration.

Ms Tlaib   said   the GOP lawmaker’s use of Ms Patton, a woman of colour, as proof— or prop—that the president is not racist “is alone racist in itself.”

“Just because someone has a person of colour, a black person working for them does not mean that they aren’t racist,” Ms Tlaib said at the hearing. “And it is insensitive [...] the fact that someone would actually use a prop, a black woman in this chamber, in this committee, is alone racist in itself.”

The Michigan Democrat’s comments struck a nerve with Mr Meadows, who had asked her statement be stricken from the record.

“To indicate that I asked someone who is a personal friend of the Trump family, who has worked for him, who has worked for this particulate individual … that’s she’s coming in to be a prop, it’s racist to suggest that I asked her to come in for that reason,” Mr Meadows said.

It should be noted that having friends or family members who identify as a person of colour does not prevent anyone from being racist or committing racist acts.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Sarah Harvard
The Independent February 28, 2019

Republican representative   Mark Meadows   defended himself from   allegations of racism   this week, one day after his testy argument over race erupted during a   House Oversight and Reform Committee hearing   for former Trump campaign fixer   Michael Cohen .

The day after Mr Meadows was accused of committing a “racist act” during Cohen’s testimony, an unearthed video from 2012 features the North Carolina Republican saying he wanted then-President Barack Obama to go back “home to Kenya.”

“Anyone who knows me knows that there is not a racial bone in my body,” Mr Meadows told CNN, in defence of the documented racist remarks.“It was early on in a primary and certainly didn’t indicate any personal malice that I would have toward any president.”

In the resurfaced video, Mr Meadows is seen speaking to a crowd while campaigning for his congressional seat. He told his supporters he wanted to “take back our country.”

“What we’re going to do is take back our country; 2012 is the time that we’re going to send Mr. Obama home to Kenya or wherever it is,” Mr Meadows said in the video.

President   Donald Trump   was one of the most vocal and prominent proponents of the “ birther   movement,” which falsely accused Mr Obama, a natural born citizen from Hawaii, is not an an American citizen.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

I'm SO sure he's not a racist.  

It sure looks like he is using 'this personal friend of the Rump family, who has worked for him, who has worked for this particular individual' . . .as a prop to me.  Why did he bring her to the hearings in the first place?  What did it have to do with Cohen's testimony?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago

Hmmmm, seems that old Mark may be full of shit. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I seeded that campaign/birther video on this forum at the time it happened, but I had forgotten it was Mark Meadows, or didnt really know who he was at the time. He was just another yahoo.

I am not sure it proves he is a racist though. He was pandering to his racist birther audience in his congressional district hoping they would vote him into congress.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1  Dulay  replied to  JohnRussell @4    5 years ago
I am not sure it proves he is a racist though. He was pandering to his racist birther audience in his congressional district hoping they would vote him into congress.

So he's not a 'real' racist, he just plays one when he's campaigning.

I'm pretty sure that is a distinction without a difference. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5  Ronin2    5 years ago

Considering Obama is only 1/2 black it must be only a 1/2 racist comment. We all know there is no such thing as racism against whites according to the left.

Also, accusing Obama of not being born in the US has nothing to do with racism.

I am sure when the left tried to call out McCain for not being born the US (on a US overseas military base), that was racist as well right?

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and his advisers are doing their best to brush aside questions — raised in the liberal blogosphere — about whether he is qualified under the Constitution to be president.  But many legal scholars and government lawyers say it's a serious question with no clear answer.

The problem arises from a phrase in the Constitution setting out who is eligible to be president.  Article II, which also specifies that a person must be at least 35 years old, says "No person except a natural born Citizen" can be president. 

Sen. McCain is undoubtedly a citizen. He was born on Aug. 29, 1936, in the Panama Canal Zone, and Congress has specifically provided that anyone born there of U.S. parents, as he was, is a citizen.  Indeed, the general rule is that anyone born of U.S. parents outside the United States is a citizen.

But is John McCain a natural born citizen? The Constitution does not define the term further, and legal scholars say the notes of the Constitution's drafters shed little light on what they meant. It seems clear only that the founders wanted to make certain that whoever was president would be loyal to the U.S. alone and not to some other country.  But the term "natural born citizen," many scholars say, was not in common use at the time the Constitution was written.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.  Learn the difference between partisan attacks and racism.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ronin2 @5    5 years ago

We knew for sure that McCain wasn't born in the US (same for Ted Cruz), and we knew for sure Obama was, but only one of those "birther" battles has persisted to this day.  I wonder why that is?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  arkpdx  replied to    5 years ago

That all they have left and Even that is getting very weak. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @5    5 years ago
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.  Learn the difference between partisan attacks and racism.

There was not even a fraction of "attention" paid to the McCain "controversy" as there was to Obama's birthplace. Not a fraction of a fraction. Even though Trump is an idiot, he is still smart enough to know he can rise in right wing politics by pandering to racism. That is the entire reason he became king birther in 2011. He wanted to run for president in 2012 and he needed to create a political base.

Birtherism is racism. Obama was the first non white president and that fact drove the racists nuts. It still does. Polling in 2019 still shows the majority of republicans are birthers. Sounds like insanity to me.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.2.2  Dulay  replied to    5 years ago
The majority of Trump supporters are not racist in any way.

Let's see THAT polling Wally. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

Does anyone know what a "racist bone" is?

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
7  Rmando    5 years ago

[Deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Rmando @7    5 years ago

I'm tired of the off topic comments.  I'm locking this until I can get a moderator or Perrie to remove them

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
7.1.1  Rmando  replied to  Tessylo @7.1    5 years ago

[deleted] If you're going to contend asking for a birth certificate is racist you should be prepared to prove it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

I never made that contention.  It is racist though.

Move along Rmando.  Shoo