╌>

I Didn’t Kill My Baby

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  sandy-2021492  •  5 years ago  •  15 comments

I Didn’t Kill My Baby
When he was born, my husband at the time and I knew he couldn’t survive. That doesn’t make me a murderer.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

On Feb. 5, during the State of the Union address, President Trump implied that women like me executed our babies after birth.   On Tuesday,   he repeated that same lie on Twitter   after the nonsensical Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Act failed to gain enough votes in the Senate to move forward.   The bill would have put in place requirements for the care of infants born after failed abortions and might have locked up doctors who failed to comply.

It is unclear how this bill might affect situations where parents decline, for medically appropriate reasons, to have their newborns resuscitated. The threat of criminal prosecution does not enhance anyone’s medical care.

I am an obstetrician and gynecologist who has delivered newborns who could not live, either because they were extremely premature or had birth defects. I have provided abortion care for women after 24 weeks gestation faced with similar outcomes who chose a surgical abortion over a vaginal delivery.

And I also delivered a son who was born to die — my own son.

I am uniquely positioned to say this bill is medically   unnecessary   and nothing more than a way to warp the reality of perinatal mortality (stillbirth or death within the first week of life) to create confusion about abortion.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1  seeder  sandy-2021492    5 years ago
Politicians who twist the memory of a birth followed by a death to score political points and mislead about the reality of both abortion and newborns who are born to die should be ashamed of themselves. No one is executing children at birth. Doctors are providing standard medical care.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
1.2  luther28  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1    5 years ago
Politicians who twist the memory of a birth followed by a death to score political points and mislead about the reality of both abortion and newborns who are born to die should be ashamed of themselves.

Sadly they know neither shame nor honor these days Sandy, both concepts seem to escape them.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

I don't understand why anyone would believe that a woman would carry a baby for months, sometime till term, only to have this terrible loss unless there was a real reason for it. That bill would have made it actually illegal for the doctors to make these decisions. Terrible. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
4  Enoch    5 years ago

White knuckle decisions.

Best to be slow to judge and quick to forgive.

E.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1  Split Personality  replied to  Enoch @4    5 years ago

A wise lesson which should be applied to most breaking news stories

here and elsewhere across social media and the main stream media.

SP.