╌>

Gas-guzzling car rides expose AOC’s hypocrisy amid Green New Deal pledge

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jasper2529  •  5 years ago  •  63 comments

Gas-guzzling car rides expose AOC’s hypocrisy amid Green New Deal pledge
“We’re like, ‘The world is going to end in 12 years if we don’t address climate change,’ ”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Freshman Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez wants to save the planet with her Green New Deal, but she keeps tripping over her own giant carbon footprint.

“We’re like, ‘The world is going to end in 12 years if we don’t address climate change,’ ” the progressive darling said in January, speaking of herself and her fellow millennials. “And, like, this is the war; this is our World War II.”

Last week, she ratcheted up the rhetoric: “It is basically a scientific consensus that the lives of our children are going to be very difficult” due to climate change. “And it does lead young people to have a legitimate question: Is it OK to still have children?”

The guiding principle of her eco-vision is to bring about “a full transition off fossil fuels and zero greenhouse gases” within 10 years.

But the woman who boasts of a “razor-sharp BS detector” seems to have trouble sniffing out her own.

Since declaring her candidacy in May 2017, Ocasio-Cortez’s campaign heavily relied on those combustion-engine cars — even though a subway station was just 138 feet from her Elmhurst campaign office.

She listed 1,049 transactions for Uber, Lyft, Juno and other car services, federal filings show. The campaign had 505 Uber expenses alone.

In all, Ocasio-Cortez spent $29,365.70 on those emissions-spewing vehicles, along with car and van rentals — even though her Queens HQ was a one-minute walk to the 7 train.

The campaign shelled out only $8,335.41 on 52 MetroCard transactions.

By comparison, fellow freshman Rep. Max Rose — whose district is more than twice the size of AOC’s and, like hers, spans two boroughs — listed only 329 transactions for car services, totaling $6,091.29, campaign filings show.

In a district with limited transit options and a $17 Verrazzano Bridge toll, Rose spent only $732 more than AOC on gas and tolls — an indicator of personal car usage.

In a Feb. 24 Instagram video filmed in her kitchen, Ocasio-Cortez railed against plastic grocery bags — then appeared to toss two of the sacks, which can be recycled, into the trash.

“It drives me crazy,” she said of plastic bags. “I wish they didn’t exist.”

In the video, Ocasio-Cortez peeled a sweet potato while calling for a “universal sense of urgency” to save the Earth.

But she discarded the vegetable scraps into the same receptacle she had just used for the plastic bags, rather than setting the food waste aside for compost.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago
Ironically, the Uber-loving politician took a tough public stand against the conveyance after a New York City taxi driver committed suicide in February 2018.

“Yellow cab drivers are in financial ruin due to the unregulated expansion of Uber,” she tweeted on March 21. “What was a living wage job now pays under minimum.”

Her campaign billed only seven rides in yellow cabs in a year and a half, federal filings show.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago
“I knocked doors until rainwater came through my soles,”   she tweeted last June , famously donating her worn-out campaign shoes to the Cornell Costume Institute for an exhibit about women and empowerment.

But Ocasio-Cortez and her staff appear to have done much less walking after she vanquished Crowley in the party’s June 2018 primary.

Instead, her campaign embraced the friendly skies, logging 66 airline transactions costing $25,174.54 during campaign season.

The Democratic firebrand or her staff took Amtrak far less — only 18 times — despite high-speed rail being the cornerstone of her save-the-world strategy.

Most of the flights came after her primary win gave her superstar status and Ocasio-Cortez spent weeks jetting around the country, burning fuel to support her fellow Dems.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Jasper2529 @2    5 years ago

Kinda curious as to why she needed 66 airline tickets to campaign, at a cost of over $25,000, in her Bronx district???  Or why she needed 50 Uber rides, or 26 commercial car rides IN ONE DAY???

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1    5 years ago

Seems that after she won the primary, the left wing's media darling flew around the country campaigning for others. 

Re: Uber, etc - Very strange since the subway stop and Amtrak were within walking distance.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    5 years ago

She's trying to break her own record of Claiming 12 years ! jrSmiley_29_smiley_image.gif

8 years would be better ! jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  It Is ME @3    5 years ago

This hypocrisy is much less than her other problems. She defended anti-semite Rep. Omar and has a possible campaign finance shady deal hovering over her.  

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
3.1.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Jasper2529 @3.1    5 years ago

Not to mention that her Chief of Staff loves hamburgers - she's a vegan - and, her boyfriend works on her staff.

Nah - nothing here.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  1stwarrior @3.1.1    5 years ago

She certainly learned the political ropes quickly and knows more about how to politically game the system than she does about her college majors.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  1stwarrior @3.1.1    5 years ago

That along with the cool million he siphoned off to his own personal accounts.jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4  igknorantzrulz    5 years ago

oh my god

stop the presses

she........................................................................................................................................

rode in a car !!!

WTF

from the guys who see no evil or clothes on their emperror

yea she oughta WALK

if she wants to talk

lke that

but defending Trumpp, the ultimate in hypocrisy,

really leaves you guys without grounds to call her a hippo critte

just my opine

begin your whine 

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    5 years ago

AOC is everywhere. She is going places. The damn gop is scared shitless of her...

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @5    5 years ago
AOC is everywhere.

Yes, she is and we can thank her for putting herself in the limelight at least twice a week!

She is going places.

Too bad she hasn't yet figured out that her place is in Washington, DC.

The damn gop is scared shitless of her...

This will never be true, JBB, no matter how many times you post it.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.1.1  KDMichigan  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.1    5 years ago

AOC will always have a following as long as people who believe like her that there is such a thing as free shit.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  KDMichigan @5.1.1    5 years ago

AOC will always have a following as long as people who believe like her that there is such a thing as free shit.

Like the soy been farmers?  Or huge corporations that do not pay taxes on mega profits?  That kind of free shit???

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.1.3  KDMichigan  replied to  Ozzwald @5.1.2    5 years ago

[deleted]

lib50
Professor Silent
5.1.4  lib50  replied to  KDMichigan @5.1.3    5 years ago

Obviously you don't know how huge corporations get 'free stuff'  Here is something.  They ALL benefit from our infrastructure and many other benefits the country offers.  When they get the tax breaks, they are getting all that for free and the rest of us are paying.  Another way they get free stuff is by privatizing the profits (and not paying their share) but socializing the expenses, especially when it comes from their damage.  Like oil spills.  And other disasters.  Or maybe just poisoning people by utilizing lower standards they pay to get (buying the gov't)  Causing a total economic meltdown, and getting bailed out so average Americans don't get screwed even more.  I can go on and on about the ways we subsidize private businesses who do NOT pay their fair share.  They declare bankruptcy (far easier for them, by the way, than the average American) and screw others out the money they are owed (Trump needs to show his tax returns).  Need more? 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  KDMichigan @5.1.3    5 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @5.1.2    5 years ago

It's the huge corporations who are the welfare whores, not us middle class folks.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.1.7  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.6    5 years ago
It's the huge corporations who are the welfare whores, not us middle class folks.

And it is the middle class that is paying for the corporation's welfare.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @5.1.7    5 years ago
'And it is the middle class that is paying for the corporation's welfare.'

Exactly.  Those welfare whores pick our pockets.  

Sad.  

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.2  KDMichigan  replied to  JBB @5    5 years ago
The damn gop is scared shitless of her...

In your dreams. I love AOC. You couldn't ask for a better representative of the Democratic party.

She is ignorant of the issues, she thinks feeling are more important than facts and she is already demonstrating the do as I say not as I do mantra.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  KDMichigan @5.2    5 years ago
I love AOC.

So do I. She's the "stupid" that keeps on giving!

and she is already demonstrating the do as I say not as I do mantra.

"I'm the boss!"  ~ I bet Speaker Pelosi liked that one! Ha ha ha!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.3  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @5    5 years ago

Lol ..... only in your dreams .... the GOP is cheering her on.

lib50
Professor Silent
5.3.1  lib50  replied to  Sparty On @5.3    5 years ago
the GOP is cheering her on.

I doubt that, when someone is no threat they ignore it.  The more attention they give her, the more worried they are.  Remember when the gop turned to Hillary when they knew she would run?  They dropped the Obama laser and put it on her.  Because they had to take her down to win.  Won't be so easy with AOC, although its obvious some of you think it will be.  No threat means no attention.  The more attention, the bigger the potential threat.  Because she speaks to a whole lot of people whether you see it or not, the party does.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.3.3  Sparty On  replied to  lib50 @5.3.1    5 years ago
Because she speaks to a whole lot of people whether you see it or not, the party does.

True .... she speaks to a lot of people looking for a free lunch.    Those of us who pay their way and our own way ..... not so much.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.3.4  KDMichigan  replied to  lib50 @5.3.1    5 years ago
They dropped the Obama laser and put it on her. 

That's Hillaryious, the Dems claim that the right has been persecuting Hillary for 30+ years. Make up your minds.

No threat means no attention. The more attention, the bigger the potential threat.

Yeah okay please explain how this ignorant moron is a threat to anybody but the Democratic party?

Because she speaks to a whole lot of people whether you see it or not, the party does.

The press love her because she is a moron and they want to get the next scoop of the ignorant shit she spews out of her mouth.

1 Unemployment is low because people are working 80 hours a week

2 “A 17-year-old can walk into a shop” and purchase an assault weapon

3 Abolish ICE

4 Capitalism won’t always exist in the world

5 “We’re gonna flip this seat red”

6 Settlements in Palestine

These are her asinine comments before she even won her seat, I'm sure the stupid hasn't peaked on her yet but the following that thinks like her has..

lib50
Professor Silent
5.3.5  lib50  replied to  KDMichigan @5.3.4    5 years ago
Dems claim that the right has been persecuting Hillary for 30+ years. Make up your minds.

Oh, FFS!  How short is your memory?  After Obama won and Hillary became Sec of State, the right could not praise her enough, they sang her praises constantly, implying how much better she would have been than Obama.  They only turned back on her when they knew she was running for president in 2016, and they turned early.  Ring a fricken bell? 

lib50
Professor Silent
5.3.6  lib50  replied to  KDMichigan @5.3.4    5 years ago

[Removed]

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.3.7  Ronin2  replied to  lib50 @5.3.5    5 years ago
After Obama won and Hillary became Sec of State, the right could not praise her enough, they sang her praises constantly, implying how much better she would have been than Obama.

Provide links. This should be hilarious. The non politicians on the right hated both of them. You might find a quote or two from a right talking head that Hillary would have been better than Obama handling foreign affairs; but then hawks stick together regardless of party.

They only turned back on her when they knew she was running for president in 2016, and they turned early.

That had to be some time during the 30 years they were persecuting the Clintons, right? Poor, poor, Clintons bilking the system and their followers for everything they are worth.  The voters on the right despised Hillary, period. A few of the Republican politicians may have voted for Hillary over Trump; but the right non politician voter couldn't stand her ass. She is easily as big of a criminal as Trump; but she is an Establishment criminal so she is protected.

Ring a fricken bell? 

Nope, revisionist history doesn't for most of us.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.3.8  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Ronin2 @5.3.7    5 years ago

You're being dragged into making off topic comments by a pro. Please don't take the bait.

lib50
Professor Silent
5.3.9  lib50  replied to  Ronin2 @5.3.7    5 years ago

I  lived through it and was paying attention.    If you have a memory problem or are unable to figure this out yourself, consider yourself woefully uninformed.  Let me spoon feed you.

I can find more, but you know, bootstraps.

lib50
Professor Silent
5.3.10  lib50  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.3.8    5 years ago

Not off topic,   but obvious someone has a problem looking a big picture and prefers blinders.  Are you discussing hypocrisy?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.3.11  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  lib50 @5.3.10    5 years ago
Are you discussing hypocrisy?

Only AOC's hypocrisy. If you want to discuss the hypocrisy of others, seed your own article.

lib50
Professor Silent
5.3.12  lib50  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.3.11    5 years ago

I don't think in a vacuum, it leads nowhere but the echo chamber of bullshit.  If one cares about hypocrisy, one must be consistent.  When someone points it out, back to the bullshit chamber.   Narrow thinking is for people who can't process complex ideas, why would that be the goal?  Hypocrisy is the theme, and you want to focus only on one person and one example.

Dulay
Professor Expert
6  Dulay    5 years ago

OMG, AOC, the one who supports the Green Deal, used a combustion engine!

Seriously, all this feigned outrage about AOC is pathetic.

I can't help but wonder why I haven't seen even ONE disparaging article about Sen. Ed Markey.

You know, the white male Senator that sponsors the Green Deal in the Senate. 

Does HE use combustion engines? Inquiring minds want to know...

What I want to know is WHY AOC's every action is scrutinized while a long time Senator gets a pass for doing the SAME thing...

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.1  Ronin2  replied to  Dulay @6    5 years ago

Because Ed Markey isn't given the press.  The first thing I had to do was look up who the hell Ed Markey was.  He needs to hire a better PR guy; or just do something stupid every day like AOC does.  Unfortunately she and the other junior Democratic congress are sucking all of the air out of the room already.

AOC is getting the massive media exposure, and is being put forward (if by the media only) as the new face of the Democratic Party. So of course she is going to get scrutinized more.

That is like me pulling out any Republican not named Trump and being upset you aren't chastising them for doing the exact same thing. Trump has the media in hand, and lives in the minds of every left leaning person rent free. Hard to get any traction against that.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Ronin2 @6.1    5 years ago

Hi, Ronin. Please see comment 5.3.8 .  [ deleted ]

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.1.2  Dulay  replied to  Ronin2 @6.1    5 years ago
Because Ed Markey isn't given the press. 

Then the NY Post aren't doing it's due diligence, are they? 

AOC is getting the massive media exposure, and is being put forward (if by the media only) as the new face of the Democratic Party. So of course she is going to get scrutinized more.

Again, Murdock's NY Post is merely exasperating what you are decrying. 

That is like me pulling out any Republican not named Trump and being upset you aren't chastising them for doing the exact same thing. Trump has the media in hand, and lives in the minds of every left leaning person rent free. Hard to get any traction against that.

You CAN'T pull out any Republican that is doing the same thing as Trump. There are all too many that enable him but none that have managed to come close to his cray cray...

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.1.3  Dulay  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1.1    5 years ago

[Removed]

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.1.4  Dulay  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1.1    5 years ago

[Removed]

Dulay
Professor Expert
8  Dulay    5 years ago
Only for the "extreme" progressives.

Just as Gohmert enamors 'extreme' regressives. 

Everyone I have spoken to (not on here) does not want her. That includes many people leaning left too.

Then you and they are lucky that you don't live in her district, aren't you? 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Dulay @8    5 years ago

You have mentioned Gohmert TWICE in your comments. He isn't the seeded topic.

DO NOT DERAIL YET ANOTHER OF MY SEEDS. ONLY WARNING BEFORE I FLAG YOU.

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.1.1  Dulay  replied to  Jasper2529 @8.1    5 years ago

Flag away girlfriend. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9  Tessylo    5 years ago

I am not worried.  A lot of people like her.  The people that matter.  

lib50
Professor Silent
9.1  lib50  replied to  Tessylo @9    5 years ago

Way more than they will admit, but we only need to look at how they react to her to smell fear.  She is capable of driving the narrative better than they are.