╌>

Rand Paul: Sure, Vaccines Are OK, But We Shouldn’t Trade ‘Liberty’ for ‘False Sense of Security’

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  151 comments

Rand Paul: Sure, Vaccines Are OK, But We Shouldn’t Trade ‘Liberty’ for ‘False Sense of Security’
He then proceeded to go through cases of individuals who ended up with terrible diseases simply because they didn’t think getting vaccinated was important. A physician himself, Cassidy noted that the only requirement with regards to vaccination was that a children get them before entering the public school system.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

During a Senate Health Committee hearing on Tuesday, Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) criticized the idea that parents should be required to vaccinate their children and perpetuated the notion that vaccines themselves could cause harm.  

The speech, which came during the opening moments of the hearing, was framed as an argument in favor of personal liberty, a posture that Paul routinely adopts. But in offering his thoughts, the Kentucky Republican furthered the argument that it is socially reasonable not to vaccinate your kids—a mindset that the scientific community says is already worsening communal health crises.

“As we contemplate forcing parents to choose this or that vaccine, I think it’s important to remember that force is not consistent with the American story, nor is force consistent with the liberty our forefathers sought when they came to America,” said Paul, reading off a paper. “I don't think you have to have one or the other, though. I'm not here to say don’t vaccinate your kids. If this hearing is for persuasion I’m all for the persuasion. I’ve vaccinated myself and I’ve vaccinated my kids. For myself and my children I believe that the benefits of vaccines greatly outweighing the risks, but I still don’t favor giving up on liberty for a false sense of security.”

Paul didn’t just make the case that vaccines should be voluntary, however. He used his platform at the hearing to affirmatively push the perception that they are potentially problematic.

“It is wrong to say that there are no risks to vaccines,” said Paul. “Even the government admits that children are sometimes injured by vaccines.”

Virtually all medical literature shows that the benefits of vaccines dramatically outweigh the limited risks. And many of the more outlandish conspiracies (including supposed links of vaccines to autism) have been discredited. But, here too, Paul sounded a skeptical note, suggesting that the data simply wasn’t large enough to give parents a convincing case.

“Now proponents of mandatory government vaccination argue that parents who refuse to vaccinate their children risk spreading these diseases to immunocompromised community,” he declared. “There doesn't seem to be enough evidence of this happening to be recorded as a statistic.”

Paul, who is an eye doctor, has long argued that forced vaccination is wrong, even comparing the concept to martial law . But what is often left unsaid in his speeches is the scientific consensus that parents who do not vaccinate their children are creating risks of communicable diseases that could impact parents who have every intention of vaccinating their kids.

That social contract has already begun to break down in places over in the past several years. According to the Centers for Disease Control , recent measles outbreaks have popped up as sickened travelers arrived in the U.S. from abroad and as the number of unvaccinated people in the U.S. has grown.

A lack of vaccinations contributed to outbreaks in New York State, New York City, and New Jersey in 2018 and in Minnesota in 2017. In 2015, an outbreak that began at Disneyland sickened 147 people. While the initial case was not found, a study in JAMA Pediatrics , a peer-reviewed medical journal published by the American Medical Association, indicated that a lack of vaccinations helped the virus spread more rapidly.

Shortly after Paul spoke, his Republican colleague, Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-LA) offered to “give some color to what Senator Paul said.”

He then proceeded to go through cases of individuals who ended up with terrible diseases simply because they didn’t think getting vaccinated was important. A physician himself, Cassidy noted that the only requirement with regards to vaccination was that a children get them before entering the public school system.

Addressing Paul without looking at him, Cassidy concluded: “If you are such a believer in liberty that you do not wish to be vaccinated then there should be a consequence and that is that you can not infect other people.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

You have the right to go to the roof of a 10 story building and jump off. You don't have the right to take your child up to the roof and push them off.

The society has determined that vaccinations prevent the spread of disease.

Individual liberty is trumped in that case.

Paul says there are occasionally fluke bad outcomes from vaccination.

I'm sure there have also been fluke bad outcomes from people, including children,  wearing  car seatbelts.

Veronica
Professor Guide
1.1  Veronica  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

The thing that pisses me off is that these people are not putting just their children at risk.  They are also risking the health of those their children come in contact with.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Veronica @1.1    5 years ago

Exactly. We depend on herd immunity. It is not fair to everyone else. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2  Gordy327  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago
The society has determined that vaccinations prevent the spread of disease.

Actually, medical science has determined that. But we know what you mean.

Paul says there are occasionally fluke bad outcomes from vaccination.

That's what anti-vaccers seem to focus on: they only see bad things with vaccinations but ignore all the good vaccines have done. It's willful ignorance at its worst.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

I think I'm in love with Dr Cassidy even if he does have an R behind his name!

Rand Paul ain't much of an MD if he advises against vaccinations. Where did he get his MD from, anyway?

He has to know of immuno-suppressed persons who cannot get vaccinations because it could cause them to get very sick and/or die. And if he doesn't, I think he should return his MD

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    5 years ago

1. Dr. Paul, 52, practiced ophthalmology for 18 years before becoming a senator in 2010. Dr. Paul moved to Bowling Green, Ky., in 1993. There he worked for Downing McPeak Vision Centers and the Gilbert Graves Clinic for about 15 years combined before launching his own ophthalmology practice in town.

2. Dr. Paul earned his medical degree from Duke University School of Medicine in Durham, N.C., in 1988. After that, he completed his general surgery internship at Atlanta-based Georgia Baptist Medical Center, followed by a residency in ophthalmology at Duke University Medical Center, completing his training in 1993. Despite his extensive medical training, Dr. Paul does not hold a bachelor's degree, according to NPR. He attended Waco, Texas-based Baylor University to study biology and English, but left a few courses short of a diploma after he was accepted into medical school.

3. His ophthalmology certification is contested. He originally earned board certification in 1993 after the completion of his residency. However, in 1997 he formed his own board, called the National Ophthalmology Board, with 200 other physicians in protest of certification requirement changes by the American Board of Ophthalmologists. The now-defunct board was not recognized by the Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure, so Dr. Paul was not board certified by a board recognized by the state since 2005, and since Dr. Paul's board dissolved in 2011, he has had no certification from an active body, according to the Washington Post. Kentucky state law does not require board certification for licensure.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Tessylo @2.1    5 years ago
There he worked for Downing McPeak Vision Centers and the Gilbert Graves Clinic for about 15 years combined before launching his own ophthalmology practice in town. 

He worked at the Gilbert GRAVES clinic...Tell me that is a misprint..

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @2.1    5 years ago

How does one get into medical school without a bachelor's degree?

And he formed his own board because of certification requirements? Who else besides me thinks he couldn't meet those requirements?

This guy is shady as fuck

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.2    5 years ago
'This guy is shady as fuck'

I always thought that.  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.2    5 years ago
How does one get into medical school without a bachelor's degree?

I know several people who did.  Some med schools will take junior undergrads on an early admission program - these students, in my experience, were the cream of the crop.  You can complete most of your pre-med required courses in 3 years, if you work hard at it.  Or you could when I was in college.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.4    5 years ago

Since you provided that explanation I will accept it.

CM
Freshman Silent
2.1.6  CM  replied to  Tessylo @2.1    5 years ago

Are you kidding, now that is what I call a Quack. The man is not qualified to practice medicine, no wonder he opted for politics, I suspect a lot of those calling themselves  doctors are not...

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.7  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.2    5 years ago
This guy is shady as fuck

Seriously.  I mean..."Duke University"?  What kind of place is that?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.7    5 years ago

I'm not talking about his degree from Duke.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.9  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.8    5 years ago
I'm not talking about his degree from Duke.

Which medical school were you referring to, then?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.9    5 years ago

I'm not talking about his medical school at all! Did you even read my comment all the way thru?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.11  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.10    5 years ago

I never cared about the degree, but forming a separate certification board for the 200 malcontents who could not

afford or maybe could not pass the 10 year re-certification process required by the  American Board of Ophthalmology ( 28,600 plus members )

with himself as president, his wife ( not a doctor) as VP and Father in law ( Not a doctor) as Treasurer/secretary was sleazy.

And rather impotent, since Kentucky does not require any certification for Ophthalmologists.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @2.1.11    5 years ago

That's what I'm calling "shady as fuck"

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.2  bbl-1  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    5 years ago

Paul received his MD from Trump U after 'private tutoring' from Ivanka. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    5 years ago

He doesn't advise against vaccinations.  He acknowledges that there are risks to vaccination.  He and his kids are vaccinated.

I'm not a fan of Paul, and I am a fan of vaccines, but this article seems to stretch the truth a bit about his views.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.4  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    5 years ago
Rand Paul ain't much of an MD if he advises against vaccinations. Where did he get his MD from, anyway?

Didn't actually read the article, did you?

I'm not here to say don’t vaccinate your kids. If this hearing is for persuasion I’m all for the persuasion. I’ve vaccinated myself and I’ve vaccinated my kids. For myself and my children I believe that the benefits of vaccines greatly outweighing the risks,

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @2.4    5 years ago

I read it

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.4.2  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.4.1    5 years ago

So the whole "advises against vaccinations" thing.... we can agree that is erroneous, yes?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.4.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @2.4.2    5 years ago

Yes, because Sandy set me straight on that

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.4.4  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.4.3    5 years ago

My apologies if I missed that.

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    5 years ago

I never did think much of him

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
3.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  charger 383 @3    5 years ago

AS a former Ron Paul elector, I'm not so fond of his son. He doesn't hold to much of what his father believes..... He's more mainstream republican than libertarian....

Sad to say......

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     5 years ago

It's my understanding that Mr. Magoo was one of his clients when he was a non board certified eye doctor. 

Mister-Magoo.jpg

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @4    5 years ago

I believe that Wile E. Coyote was his assistant.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2  Tessylo  replied to  Kavika @4    5 years ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

charger 383
Professor Silent
5  charger 383    5 years ago

I also never understood why he combs his hair with an eggbeater 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.1  Raven Wing  replied to  charger 383 @5    5 years ago
I also never understood why he combs his hair with an eggbeater 

He combs his hair?  ?? /s

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6  Dean Moriarty    5 years ago

This is a great example of why he is my favorite Senator. He feels the vaccinations are good but doesn’t want government forcing them on people against their will. This is exactly how I feel. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1  Freefaller  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6    5 years ago

Absolutely agree, people should be able to choose to vaccinate.  Any that do are free to mingle anywhere with the general public, any that do not are free to never leave the confines of their own home.  It's a choice each parent can make for their children 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Freefaller @6.1    5 years ago

Why if the other ones are vaccinated what are they worried about? 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6.1.1    5 years ago

The unnecessary death of an innocent child, even if it is not their own. There is no excuse to justify that happening when there are vaccines to protect their life. None

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
6.1.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6.1.1    5 years ago

It's about herd immunity. It has to stay above 90% or some of these virulent diseases can get out of hand faster than most people can imagine.

"In 1912, measles became a nationally notifiable disease in the United States, requiring U.S. healthcare providers and laboratories to report all diagnosed cases. In the first decade of reporting, an average of 6,000 measles-related deaths were reported each year.

In the decade before 1963 when a vaccine became available, nearly all children got measles by the time they were 15 years of age. It is estimated 3 to 4 million people in the United States were infected each year . Also each year, among reported cases, an estimated 400 to 500 people died, 48,000 were hospitalized, and 1,000 suffered encephalitis (swelling of the brain) from measles."

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6.1.1    5 years ago

Some can't be vaccinated due to health issues.  And some haven't been vaccinated just because they're not old enough, but can still catch the disease.  I had measles as a baby before I was old enough for the vaccine.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1.5  Freefaller  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6.1.1    5 years ago

Are the other ones all vaccinated?

However my previous response was a little harsh, the children would of course be able to play in their parents yards as well (with proper fencing)

Veronica
Professor Guide
6.1.6  Veronica  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6.1.1    5 years ago

Newborns can not be vaccinated against these diseases and some of them are fatal to newborns - so much for you crusade to save the innocents - oh yeah those are "born" children.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Veronica @6.1.6    5 years ago

It's all about his rights. Not anybody else's...especially that immumo-suppressed person who can't receive vaccines and gets measles from one of his unvaccinated minions

Veronica
Professor Guide
6.1.8  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.7    5 years ago

My daughter has an immune disorder which makes her susceptible to these diseases even though she was vaccinated.  She has to have tests run before she gets her flu vaccine to be sure she is "healthy" enough to get it.  If she contracts the flu it could kill her.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.1.9  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.7    5 years ago
It's all about his rights. Not anybody else's...especially that immumo-suppressed person who can't receive vaccines and gets measles from one of his unvaccinated minions

The immuno-suppressed person's rights do not outweigh anyone else's.

My wife is on immuno-suppressants.  That does not give us the right to alter everybody else's behavior.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @6.1.9    5 years ago

What if some little knucklehead gives her chicken pox or measles? What will you do?

And you can alter someone else's behavior if they cause you harm

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.1.11  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.10    5 years ago
What if some little knucklehead gives her chicken pox or measles? What will you do?

Get her to the hospital.

And you can alter someone else's behavior if they cause you harm

Why don't we forcibly quarantine anybody with the flu?  We could have a Flu Jail. Let's not forget chastity belts or at the very least a facial tattoo for all the HIV or Hep C patients.

Will we outlaw rock concerts to protect migraine sufferers?  Will we outlaw whiskey to protect alcoholics?   Will we outlaw steak to protect those with heart disease or peanuts to protect those with peanut allergies?  Sugar to protect diabetics?

Just exactly how far does this use of force extend?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @6.1.11    5 years ago

You're going down a slippery slope and so I'm done

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
6.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6    5 years ago

People should be able to choose whether to vaccinate their children but nobody, including the public school systems should be required to allow those children to attend.  My son doesn't allow his cousin or her children to come to his house until his baby is old enough to vaccinate.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.2.1  Jack_TX  replied to  SteevieGee @6.2    5 years ago
People should be able to choose whether to vaccinate their children but nobody, including the public school systems should be required to allow those children to attend.

Exactly.

Isn't that what we do already?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @6.2.1    5 years ago

No, we don't. We let the Jenny McCarthys of the world get on media and convince people not to vaccinate their vermin and then turn them loose into public schools. Some states have all kinds of exemptions to vaccination policies

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
6.2.3  Nowhere Man  replied to  Jack_TX @6.2.1    5 years ago
Isn't that what we do already?

The Law in all states in the nation require entering your child in the local education complex. (school system) 

Mandatory education...... Vaxxed or not..... Hence the need for legal exceptions.....

I say set up a separate school system for them...... But then they would scream bigotry wouldn't they......

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.2.4  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2.2    5 years ago
No, we don't. We let the Jenny McCarthys of the world get on media and convince people not to vaccinate their vermin and then turn them loose into public schools.

You cannot enroll in public schools where I live without an immunization record.  If my nutty religious neighbor doesn't want to vaccinate her kids, she's probably nutty enough that she's homeschooling them anyway.

Some states have all kinds of exemptions to vaccination policies

So it sounds like those are the issues you should be addressing.  OR....rather....the citizens of those places should be addressing.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @6.2.4    5 years ago

I bet Texas has religious exemptions for vaccinations.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.2.6  Jack_TX  replied to  Nowhere Man @6.2.3    5 years ago
The Law in all states in the nation require entering your child in the local education complex.

Homeschool.  It's a thing.  It's actually HUGE among hyper-religious people who don't want their children learning terrible and evil things like evolution or that Christians aren't actually persecuted in Texas.

Online school.  Ever growing section of both public and private education system.  Texas Tech has its own online ISD, where kids can do the entirety of high school online.  This is the future, BTW.  It's cheaper, more efficient, and you don't have to deal with the behavior problems.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.2.7  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2.5    5 years ago
I bet Texas has religious exemptions for vaccinations.

Come to find out, you are not wrong.  

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
6.2.8  Nowhere Man  replied to  Jack_TX @6.2.6    5 years ago

Oh yes, Online schooling is the future no doubt, for all the reasons you cite and more, much more..... (education choice for one)

Up around here in these parts homeschooling is part of the "education complex" to homeschool here in washington you have to do it with an approved education course of instruction in order to meet the goal of the same education the student would get in their approved school system. It's the real bane of the charter schools around here also.

We have a court system that is in the pocket of the teachers unions......

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.2.9  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2.2    5 years ago
No, we don't. We let the Jenny McCarthys of the world get on media and convince people not to vaccinate their vermin and then turn them loose into public schools. Some states have all kinds of exemptions to vaccination policies

So...backing up to this comment again...and noticing how batshit certain parts of it are....

"We let" people get on media?  You're suggesting we shouldn't?  Unless they agree with you?  How does that work, exactly?  So not only do we not give a shit about their right to decide about their own bodies, we don't give a shit about their right to free speech, either?  We'll definitely need state-controlled media to accomplish that.  But it's for the greater good.....

"Vermin"?  The contempt some liberals hold for the rest of the world is astonishing.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.2.10  Jack_TX  replied to  Nowhere Man @6.2.8    5 years ago
Up around here in these parts homeschooling is part of the "education complex" to homeschool here in washington you have to do it with an approved education course of instruction in order to meet the goal of the same education the student would get in their approved school system. It's the real bane of the charter schools around here also.

That's the case in Texas, too.  

We have a court system that is in the pocket of the teachers unions......

We don't have a union problem here.  We have a supply problem, because the state is growing so fast, but not a union issue.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @6.2.7    5 years ago

I kinda figured I wasn't. Arkansas has religious exemptions and Texas and Arkansas are pretty similar in culture

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @6.2.9    5 years ago

Back it up, Jack. You know very well what I'm talking about but you want to make a big, stinky case out of it. I'm not playing that game.

Seems like you got a hair up your butt cross wise today so why don't we just part company for today and maybe tomorrow will look better.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.2.13  Gordy327  replied to  Jack_TX @6.2.6    5 years ago
It's a thing. It's actually HUGE among hyper-religious people who don't want their children learning

You could have stopped right there.

This is the future, BTW. It's cheaper, more efficient, and you don't have to deal with the behavior problems.

I don't know about more efficient. More convenient maybe. But there's something about being in a classroom itself. Kind of like reading from an actual book rather than a tablet.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
6.2.14  katrix  replied to  Gordy327 @6.2.13    5 years ago

Homeschooled kids miss out on a lot of the social stuff that will help them once they get into the workforce. 

My nephew (the homeschooled one who is now a young earther) used to want to be the CEO of Amtrak.  Then after he got brainwashed, he wanted to be a Christian camp counselor for his entire career.  He's now figured out that isn't the greatest career path, but I'm not sure how he's going to find a real job where he'll be as sheltered as he needs to be (from all the heathens plus anyone who cusses, anyone who accepts science, etc.).

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.15  Tessylo  replied to  Jack_TX @6.2.9    5 years ago
"Vermin"?  The contempt some liberals hold for the rest of the world is astonishing. 

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

The contempt some 'conservatives' hold for those who aren't is astonishing.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.2.16  Gordy327  replied to  katrix @6.2.14    5 years ago
Homeschooled kids miss out on a lot of the social stuff that will help them once they get into the workforce. 

Indeed. It limits their horizons.

but I'm not sure how he's going to find a real job where he'll be as sheltered as he needs to be

Sounds like he's rather limited, especially if he can't deal with the real world.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
6.2.17  lady in black  replied to  katrix @6.2.14    5 years ago

Sad that he's afraid of the real world.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.2.18  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2.12    5 years ago
Back it up, Jack. You know very well what I'm talking about but you want to make a big, stinky case out of it. I'm not playing that game. Seems like you got a hair up your butt cross wise today so why don't we just part company for today and maybe tomorrow will look better.

You're accusing me of what you're doing....which is having a strop.  That's the point.  Everything from Rand Paul is shady to Rand Paul advises against vaccinations to "letting" people on media outlets to "vermin".  WTF?  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.2.19  Jack_TX  replied to  Gordy327 @6.2.13    5 years ago
You could have stopped right there.

Oh no.  They want their kids learning the Bible, interpreted in a way they find agreeable.

I don't know about more efficient. More convenient maybe. But there's something about being in a classroom itself. Kind of like reading from an actual book rather than a tablet.

It's definitely more efficient than traditional classroom settings, and that gap will grow exponentially in the next few years.  Online schooling lets kids progress at their own pace, which is impossible in traditional classrooms.  

When you think about the expenses involved with public education, massive amounts of that money goes to maintaining physical infrastructure needed to warehouse kids.  We have bond issues to build new schools or renovate old ones.  We've got billions sunk into paper textbooks that have to be replaced every few years.  Our school year is still built on an agricultural calendar....because so many of us still farm....  

There is something about being in a classroom, but that presumes the classroom in question happens to be a positive environment.   It presumes the teacher is good, the class is reasonably controlled, and the A/C is working.  It presumes you're in a good school with class offerings that are appropriate for your ability, where you don't have to worry about violence in the hallways or drug use in the bathrooms.

My kids went to schools like that, ranked among the top 2% in the nation.  But what about kids who live in neighborhoods where the schools are shit?

Beware, though.  Online schools will have the same effects people worry about with vouchers.  All the best kids will be taking advanced calculus from their living room, and the kids that remain will be very resource intensive.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.20  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @6.2.18    5 years ago

whatever

I don't like kids hence the word "vermin"

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.2.21  Jack_TX  replied to  Tessylo @6.2.15    5 years ago
The contempt some 'conservatives' hold for those who aren't is astonishing.  

I'd agree with that.

I haven't seen children of liberal families referred to as "vermin", though.  Have you?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.22  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @6.2.21    5 years ago

I call all kids (who aren't mine) "vermin"

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.2.23  Jack_TX  replied to  katrix @6.2.14    5 years ago

I agree with that, and I'd say it extends to private school kids also, to a lesser degree. 

I don't think that trend will hold.  I think we're going to see more kids going to school online.  I had AAU basketball players doing HS online, holding down jobs and socializing normally.  They chose the online school because they felt like their opportunities as black kids in public schools were very limited.

My nephew (the homeschooled one who is now a young earther) used to want to be the CEO of Amtrak.  Then after he got brainwashed, he wanted to be a Christian camp counselor for his entire career. 

Oh my.

He's now figured out that isn't the greatest career path, but I'm not sure how he's going to find a real job where he'll be as sheltered as he needs to be (from all the heathens plus anyone who cusses, anyone who accepts science, etc.).

Out of curiosity, how old is this boy?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.2.24  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2.22    5 years ago

LOL.

OK.  Fair enough.  

Normally I just use terrible terms for my own kids.  They know I'm kidding.  Other kids sometimes can't tell.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.2.25  Gordy327  replied to  Jack_TX @6.2.19    5 years ago
They want their kids learning the Bible, interpreted in a way they find agreeable.

Indeed. To hell with actual facts, logic, and critical thinking.

Online schooling lets kids progress at their own pace, which is impossible in traditional classrooms.

The problem with that is, kids may not be suitably challenged enough to succeed. It's academic coddling.

When you think about the expenses involved with public education, 

Money to education is a good thing. While on-line class might be convenient, a school established an academic environment with less possible distractions which might occur elsewhere. The importance of rules and discipline is also fostered in a school setting. Not to mention socialization with peers.

but that presumes the classroom in question happens to be a positive environment. It presumes the teacher is good, the class is reasonably controlled, 

For the most part, that is probably the case.The same thing can be said for other environments (especially home) where online learning may occur. But educational institutions might have standards in place and the resources to meet those standards, where a learning environment is established.

But what about kids who live in neighborhoods where the schools are shit?

That is a problem to be sure. The same can be said for student homes, where kids would probably engage in online learning. 

Online schools will have the same effects people worry about with vouchers. All the best kids will be taking advanced calculus from their living room, and the kids that remain will be very resource intensive.

Online schools is probably best suited as an option for certain high school level and college level students. Students at that point will be old enough and (hopefully) mature enough to have the self discipline to seriously engage in an online course and give it their all. Both online and actual classroom settings have their pros and cons.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.2.26  Jack_TX  replied to  Gordy327 @6.2.25    5 years ago
Indeed. To hell with actual facts, logic, and critical thinking.

True.  But they certainly don't have a monopoly on that.

The problem with that is, kids may not be suitably challenged enough to succeed. It's academic coddling.

Why would that be different than what happens in brick and mortar classrooms?   It's remedied easily, BTW, with national testing.  The British have been doing it for decades.

If it's academic coddling, I doubt very much you would see places like Harvard offering graduate degrees done 90% online.  My daughter is getting her Masters in mathematics online at Texas A&M.  It's exceedingly challenging.

Money to education is a good thing.

Depends on where and how it's spent.  Just like money to anything else.

While on-line class might be convenient, a school established an academic environment with less possible distractions which might occur elsewhere.

I guess it might seem that way if you've never actually taught public school.  But it's not reality.  The idea that a classroom full of 30 other kids, many of whom have little interest in academics and some of whom are certainly learning disabled or otherwise considered "special education" is less distracting than a kitchen table, a couch at Starbucks or a chair in a local library where you can put your headphones on and get down to business is simply not accurate.  

The importance of rules and discipline is also fostered in a school setting. Not to mention socialization with peers.

I agree with that.  But I'm not sure those things aren't more easily replaced than quality instruction in physics or trigonometry.

But educational institutions might have standards in place and the resources to meet those standards, where a learning environment is established.

I think that's where the decision comes in, because often those institutions are not doing their job.  There is a reason we have such a massive gap in academic achievement, and it isn't because poor and minority kids are less intelligent.

Online schools is probably best suited as an option for certain high school level and college level students. Students at that point will be old enough and (hopefully) mature enough to have the self discipline to seriously engage in an online course and give it their all.

That is the implementation I'm envisioning.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.2.27  Gordy327  replied to  Jack_TX @6.2.26    5 years ago
But they certainly don't have a monopoly on that.

I don't think they even have a Baltic Ave. on that, jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Why would that be different than what happens in brick and mortar classrooms?

Online may not be as structured or disciplined as a regular classroom. There may be less motivation or encouragement to succeed. Basically t just becomes more of a "just do what you feel like" rather than establishing set goals.

The British have been doing it for decades.

Well bully for them. jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

If it's academic coddling, I doubt very much you would see places like Harvard offering graduate degrees done 90% online.

I doubt it too. Although some institutions might offer online Bachelors or Masters level classes, depending on the class or degree. Some even have a mix of online and classroom setting-the best of both worlds I suppose.

My daughter is getting her Masters in mathematics online at Texas A&M.

Good for her. Good luck to her on that. 

Depends on where and how it's spent. Just like money to anything else.

Improving school conditions, educational resources, and teacher quality would be a good place to start.

The idea that a classroom full of 30 other kids, many of whom have little interest in academics and some of whom are certainly learning disabled or otherwise considered "special education" is less distracting than a kitchen table, a couch at Starbucks or a chair in a local library

It boils down to discipline. A teacher can enforce discipline to get a class in line and a student must be self disciplined enough to pay attention and work online. Younger kids might have a problem with that, especially if they're not being watched or supervised.

But I'm not sure those things aren't more easily replaced than quality instruction in physics or trigonometry.

Quality instruction is one thing. But one must have (or be given) the discipline to listen to quality instruction for it to stick.

because often those institutions are not doing their job. There is a reason we have such a massive gap in academic achievement, and it isn't because poor and minority kids are less intelligent.

That too is a big problem, and probably one with multiple issues contributing to it.

That is the implementation I'm envisioning.

That would be reasonable and more realistic. I don't see it as much for younger children, although that is not to say it should be discounted altogether. Perhaps online "class" for kids can be used in conjunction with regular class, like interactive assignments as games or as extra credit. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.2.28  charger 383  replied to  katrix @6.2.14    5 years ago
want to be the CEO of Amtrak.

He should be hired as CEO of Amtrak right now, he would be better than current Amtrak boss Richard Anderson, 

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.2.29  charger 383  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2.22    5 years ago

I strongly support your right to call them Vermin

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.2.30  Jack_TX  replied to  Gordy327 @6.2.27    5 years ago
That would be reasonable and more realistic.

So the vision here is that kids who are disciplined and do want to succeed would have access to high-quality instruction via video, email, chat and study groups.  

It also offers a chance for kids with unusual situations to get a diploma from an accredited school.  So if you're a child model or your mom is a diplomat or your family travels a lot or you're an Olympic fencing/gymnastics/bobsled prospect or you live in Bethel, Oklahoma where they don't offer Calculus or Physics or....if you live in subsidized housing in an otherwise prosperous area of North Dallas and your teachers think "passing" is the best you can do because you're black and poor..... you have the ability to get a good education.

My daughter took health and computer science online at so she could take more electives during the school day.

I don't see it as much for younger children,

Current programs primarily serve HS kids, but they also offer a way for parents who want to homeschool to make sure their kids are actually well educated.

I confess I was skeptical when my daughter was taking classes.  My opinion changed dramatically when I saw the poor kids I was coaching start using these programs.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.2.31  Gordy327  replied to  Jack_TX @6.2.30    5 years ago

Fair enough. You bring up some good points.

Veronica
Professor Guide
6.3  Veronica  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6    5 years ago
This is exactly how I feel. 

Wait a minute.  You feel it is ok to force a woman to carry a pregnancy to term because of an "innocent" life, but think it is not ok to force people to be vaccinated against diseases that can prove fatal to newborns & fetuses.  Oh man....

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6.3.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Veronica @6.3    5 years ago

Yes I’ll wait that minute for you to find something I never said. I’m pro abortion and believe in leaving the decision up to the parents not the government if they want to kill their child. 

Veronica
Professor Guide
6.3.2  Veronica  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6.3.1    5 years ago

Sure you are - the word "murder" in your response is telling.  

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6.3.3  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Veronica @6.3.2    5 years ago

Sorry about that I edited the comment after realizing the Dalai Lama’s definition of murder could be different from the American interpretation of the word. I should not have used the word murder in my response. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.3.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6.3.3    5 years ago

Using the term "pro-abortion" is also telling

CM
Freshman Silent
6.4  CM  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6    5 years ago

I suspect that those of us who were never vaccinated as children are not now among the living, Polio, whooping cough, TB, smallpox have already taken care of that decision..something tells me you were and now is free to comment on Newstalkers, thanks to responsible parents..

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
7  The Magic 8 Ball    5 years ago

I can argue for and against, but in the end, the bottom line is simple.

no one sticks a needle in me without my permission... period.

when the govt starts thinking it can ignore my consent as if it owns me?  time for a new govt.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1  Krishna  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @7    5 years ago
no one sticks a needle in me without my permission... period. when the govt starts thinking it can ignore my consent as if it owns me?  time for a new govt.

How do you feel about the government taking some of your money without your permission?

(Or do you not allow the government to take some of your income during tax season . . . ???)

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
7.1.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Krishna @7.1    5 years ago

I had no problem paying taxes so obviously, they had my consent for that.

how do you feel about staying on topic?

(   or do you have a problem staying on topic?  )

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.2  Krishna  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @7.1.1    5 years ago

(I had no problem paying taxes so obviously,

Why do you say its obvious? 

Your comments give the impression that you won't let the government tell you what you must do (?)

I could be mistaken, but it seems you fell you have the right to pick and choose what government rules you want to follow....

(of course you are entitled to your opinion,but its also true that not following the law does have consequences...)

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
7.1.3  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Krishna @7.1.2    5 years ago
Your comments give the impression that you won't let the government tell you what you must do

exactly.... if I do not agree? there is no chance in hell.

consent of the governed - is a bitch like that.

cheers :)

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
7.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @7    5 years ago

That’s exactly how I feel. Foreign visitors from third world countries have no requirements to get vaccinated but some what it forced upon us against our will. Probably the same people that are hell-bent on safe havens for illegal unvaccinated immigrants. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dean Moriarty @7.2    5 years ago

If I ever have grandchildren and if any of them are immuno-suppressed and catch measles from some crotch cricket whose mummy or daddy didn't vaccinate them....I will sue that mummy and daddy.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7.2.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Dean Moriarty @7.2    5 years ago

Sounds like the CDC is speaking out of both sides of it's mouth again. We have to pay attention to their wording of "Travelers" vs "Immigration" and why there would be a difference between the two for vaccination requirements is beyond me.

Here is what I know what Julia's and Irina's requirements were and must always be prepared to show proof of, whenever traveling back and forth.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What are the new vaccination criteria for U.S. immigration?

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) regulations require that all immigrant applicants receive a medical exam. During the exam, applicants are required to show proof that they have received certain vaccines. If an applicant does not have proof of having received the required vaccines, the law states that the vaccines must be given at the time of the medical exam.

CDC has new vaccination criteria to help decide which vaccines should be required as part of the immigration process. CDC will use these criteria at regular periods, as needed, for vaccines recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) for the general U.S. public. This will determine which vaccines will be required for U.S. immigration.

The criteria are:

• The vaccine must be age-appropriate* for the immigrant applicant
  • The vaccine must protect against a disease that has the potential to cause an outbreak.
  • The vaccine must protect against a disease that has been eliminated or is in the process of being eliminated in the United States.

*ACIP recommends vaccines for a certain age range in the general U.S. public. These ACIP recommendations will be used to decide which vaccines are age-appropriate for the general immigrant population.

These criteria will be applied to the ACIP-recommended vaccines that are not specifically named in immigration law.

If an ACIP-recommended vaccine for the general U.S. population meets these criteria, overseas immigrant applicants will have to receive the vaccine during their immigrant medical exam. Again, the only exception is if an immigrant applicant can show proof of having already received a given vaccine or if the vaccine is not medically advised.

Immigrant applicants who are already in the United States and are changing their visa status to become permanent residents also will be required to receive the same vaccines unless they can show proof that they already received a given vaccine or if the vaccine is not medically advised.

Applicants will need to get only one dose of each vaccine during their medical exam. However, applicants are encouraged to get other doses of a vaccine to finish each series.

What vaccines are required for U.S. immigration?

At this time,* vaccines for these diseases are currently required for U.S. immigration:

• Mumps
  • Measles
  • Rubella
  • Polio
  • Tetanus and diphtheria
  • Pertussis
  • Haemophilus influenzae type B (Hib)
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Rotavirus
  • Meningococcal disease
  • Varicella
  • Pneumococcal disease
  • Seasonal influenza

*On December 14, 2009, the human papillomavirus (HPV) and zoster vaccines were removed from the list of required vaccines for immigrant applicants. All other vaccinations on this list remain.

Any future vaccines recommended by ACIP for the general U.S. public will be subject to the new vaccination criteria. If the recommended vaccines fit the new criteria, they will be added to the list of required vaccines for immigrant applicants.

When did CDC begin using the new vaccination criteria?

The new vaccination criteria are in effect as of December 14, 2009.

Who will be affected by the new vaccination criteria?

The new vaccination criteria apply to all applicants who seek legal permanent residence in the United States. This includes those examined overseas and those already in the United States who want to adjust their visa status to become a legal permanent resident.

What is the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, or ACIP?

The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) is a group of 15 vaccine experts who provide written guidance on the vaccination of children and adults in the United States. ACIP members are vaccination experts from outside the federal government. Each expert is selected by the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).

ACIP provides this guidance to the Director of the CDC and Secretary of HHS. The purpose of this body is to ensure that proper guidance is given to states to control the spread of infectious disease.

The guidance offered by ACIP includes how vaccines should be given, the age groups to which they should be given, and the number of doses required for each vaccine. This guidance is based on the best available science. All ACIP vaccine guidance will be reviewed by CDC to decide which vaccines should be given to applicants who would like to live in the United States permanently.

For more information on the ACIP, please see: .

How does the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) decide on the list of recommended vaccines?

The ACIP is a group of 15 experts on vaccination. The group provides guidance to the Director of the CDC and Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). These experts use the most accurate and up-to-date science to provide guidance on which vaccines should be given to adults and children in the United States.

For more information on the ACIP, please see: .

Is the human papillomavirus vaccine (HPV) still required under the new vaccination criteria?

No. HPV does not meet the new vaccination criteria set by CDC and is not required for the immigrant medical exam.

HPV is not known to cause outbreaks. Also HPV is the most common sexually transmitted infection (STI) in the United States and is not close to being eliminated at this time.

CDC will use the new vaccination criteria for vaccines recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) to decide which vaccines will be required for U.S. immigration. The criteria will be used at regular periods, as needed.

The criteria are:

• The vaccine must protect against a disease that has the potential to cause an outbreak.
  • The vaccine must protect against a disease that has been eliminated or is in the process of being eliminated in the United States.

*ACIP recommends vaccines for a certain age range in the general U.S. public. These ACIP recommendations will be used to decide which vaccines are age-appropriate for the general immigrant population.

Is the zoster vaccine still required under the new vaccination criteria?

No. Zoster does not meet the new vaccination criteria set by CDC and is no longer required for the immigrant medical exam. Zoster is not known to cause outbreaks. Thus, it does not meet the new CDC vaccination criteria.

CDC will use the new vaccination criteria for vaccines recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) to decide which vaccines will be required for U.S. immigration. The criteria will be used at regular periods, as needed.

The criteria are:

Have any vaccines been added or removed from the list of required vaccines for U.S. immigration because of these new criteria?

Two vaccines have been removed from the required list: human papillomavirus (HPV) and zoster. These vaccines have been removed because they do not meet either of the following criteria:

No vaccines will be added to the current list of required vaccinations for immigrants at this time. However, when the ACIP recommends new vaccines for the general U.S. population, CDC will assess whether these vaccines should be required for immigrants on a regular and as-needed basis, using the new criteria.

How do the new vaccination criteria affect children?

All immigrant applicants, including children, must receive all the vaccines required for U.S. immigration based on their age. The only exceptions to this are if a vaccine is not medically advised for an immigrant applicant or if the immigrant applicant can show proof of prior vaccination.

CDC will continue to require that child and adult immigrant applicants receive all vaccines that are appropriate for the general immigrant population based on age. ACIP recommends vaccines for a certain age range in the general U.S. public. These ACIP recommendations will be used to decide which vaccines are age-appropriate for the general immigrant population.

Do the new vaccination criteria apply to children who are being adopted by U.S. citizens?

Children from other countries who are being adopted by U.S. citizens are applying for U.S. entry as immigrants. Thus, U.S. immigration law requires adopted children (and all other immigrants) receive certain vaccinations before they can be granted an immigrant visa.

In some cases, a vaccination exemption can be given. In these cases, children would not have to get the required vaccines before getting an immigrant visa. This exemption can be granted only if parents sign an agreement that they are aware of the vaccines required. Parents must also ensure that the child will receive these vaccines within 30 days of arrival to the United States. However, a vaccination exemption cannot be given to children adopted from Hague Convention (I-800A) countries, such as China and the Philippines. Adoptive parents should check with their adoption agencies and the U.S. Department of State ( ) for more information.

For a person who has had no vaccines or whose vaccines are not up to date, do all doses of the required vaccines need to be given to complete the immigrant medical exam?

Because completion of the vaccine series often requires several months, immigrant applicants are not required to receive all doses of the required vaccines as part of the immigrant medical exam. Rather, applicants are required to receive at least one dose of each vaccine that is appropriate for their age group. They are also encouraged to receive as many added doses as needed to complete the series.

What if a required vaccine is not immediately available through a civil surgeon?

A civil surgeon is a doctor that provides the immigrant medical screening exam to immigrant applicants in the United States who seek to adjust their visa status. If a vaccine is not available, the civil surgeon should refer the applicant to a place where the vaccine is provided. If a vaccine is not available in the United States, a blanket waiver may be granted through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

What if a required vaccine is not immediately available through a panel physician?

A panel physician is a doctor that provides the medical screening exam to immigrant applicants overseas who are applying for permanent residence in the United States. If a vaccine is not available in a given country, a panel physician can indicate that on the medical exam form. A blanket waiver may be granted through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

How are immigration requests currently pending with USCIS/DHS affected by the new vaccination requirements?

Until the new vaccination criteria became effective on December 14, 2009, the current vaccination requirements still applied to all immigration requests pending with USCIS/DHS.

How were medical examinations that took place before December 14, 2009, affected by the new vaccination requirements?

Until the new vaccination requirements became effective on December 14, 2009, the existing vaccination requirements remained part of any medical examination conducted before December 14, 2009. Therefore, all immigrant applicants were still required to receive these vaccines unless they could provide proof of prior vaccination:

• Mumps
  • Measles
  • Rubella
  • Tetanus and diphtheria
  • Pertussis
  • Haemophilus influenzae type B (Hib)
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Rotavirus
  • Meningococcal disease
  • Varicella
  • Pneumococcal disease
  • Seasonal influenza
  • Polio
  • Human papillomavirus (HPV)*
  • Zoster*
*As of December 14, 2009, human papillomavirus (HPV) and zoster are no longer required for immigrant applicants.

charger 383
Professor Silent
9  charger 383    5 years ago

Paul is anti choice on abortion and pro choice on vaccines,  those 2 don't fit together 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
9.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  charger 383 @9    5 years ago

No they don't, a true libertarian is all about individual choice.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Nowhere Man @9.1    5 years ago

[deleted]

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
9.1.3  Nowhere Man  replied to  Tessylo @9.1.1    5 years ago

[deleted]

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
9.1.4  Jack_TX  replied to  Tessylo @9.1.1    5 years ago
Removed for context

Or... "I've got mine, get off your ass and get your own".

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Jack_TX @9.1.4    5 years ago

No, my comment stands 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
9.1.6  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Release The Kraken @9.1.2    5 years ago
Here comes the bumper sticker quip.......

mine tend to have difficulty fitting on bumper stickers, and or bumpers, in general.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
10  Jack_TX    5 years ago

This may be the clearest example of identity politics I've seen in recent memory.  

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
11  Dismayed Patriot    5 years ago

What percentage of conservatives do you think would ignore any warnings on the vaccine and would get all their children vaccinated the day they were allowed if the vaccine supposedly immunized their child from being gay? And how many do you think would be trying to make the gay vaccine mandatory for all children in America?

Here we have many denying the sound science supporting current vaccines that prevent tens of thousands of annual infant and elderly deaths by providing a herd immunity against horrible diseases, but offer them a chance to immunize against being gay and I bet they'd do whatever it took to force it on as many people as possible, health concerns be damned.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
11.1  Jack_TX  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @11    5 years ago
What percentage of conservatives 

What percentage of conservatives do you imagine are not getting their kids vaccinated? 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
11.1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Jack_TX @11.1    5 years ago
What percentage of conservatives do you imagine are not getting their kids vaccinated? 

“Since 2009, the number of ‘philosophical-belief’ vaccine non-medical exemptions has risen in 12 of the 18 states that currently allow this policy: Arkansas, Arizona, Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah.”

" Among children aged 19 months to 35 months in rural areas, about 2 percent received no vaccinations in 2017. That is double the number of unvaccinated children living in urban areas."

So I would guess about 2%.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
11.1.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @11.1.1    5 years ago

Good a nice low percentage far below the percentage thresholds that would effect herd immunity. That is good news. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
11.1.3  Jack_TX  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @11.1.1    5 years ago
So I would guess about 2%

The CDC cites lack of access to medical facilities and lack of insurance as the major correlates.

Kavika
Professor Principal
12  Kavika     5 years ago

I'm old enough to remember what iron lungs were and how they looked and how terrified we were that we'd get polio. 

Dr. Saulk ended that dreadful disease for us so I'm in favor of getting a vaccination for what ever is needed. 

1952 -- was the peak year for polio in the United States.  There were 58,000 reported cases of the disease that year, which resulted in 3145 deaths and 21,269 cases of mild to severe paralysis.

I was 12 years old that year and you can bet your ass that we were afraid of getting this disease.

polio-iron-lungs.jpg

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
12.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Kavika @12    5 years ago

Paul is also in favor of vaccination but says government forcing it upon people against their will is a bridge too far. Polio is no longer a problem and that was done without compulsory vaccinations. It has always been a choice here in the USA. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
12.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Dean Moriarty @12.1    5 years ago
Paul is also in favor of vaccination but says government forcing it upon people against their will is a bridge too far. Polio is no longer a problem and that was done without compulsory vaccinations. It has always been a choice here in the USA.

Yes, I'm aware that Paul is in favor of vaccinations. Most states, if not all, require vaccinations before a child can get into school. (there is no federal mandate) There are some exemptions such religious beliefs and medical issues. 

It becomes an issue when a child is excused from vaccinations and is mixed with other children. If they choose to follow that path, I'm in favor that if their kid is responsible for other children getting the disease (whatever it may be) the parents of that child are held responsible. (not for medical exemptions though)

Gordy327
Professor Expert
12.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  Dean Moriarty @12.1    5 years ago
Polio is no longer a problem

Thank you vaccines.

and that was done without compulsory vaccinations. It has always been a choice here in the USA. 

Most people were probably smart enough to heed medical advice and receive vaccinations. People have only recently become dumbed down and paranoid about vaccines, particularly thanks to social media and second hand sources, or due to just plain old ignorance.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
12.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  Kavika @12.1.1    5 years ago
(there is no federal mandate)

There should be!

There are some exemptions such religious beliefs and medical issues. 

Medical excuses is one thing. Religious excuse is a poor excuse, and one which can be easily exploited.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
12.1.4  Freefaller  replied to  Gordy327 @12.1.2    5 years ago
people were probably smart enough to heed medical advice and receive vaccinations

Lol I suspect it was equal parts smart and scared.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
12.1.5  Gordy327  replied to  Freefaller @12.1.4    5 years ago
I suspect it was equal parts smart and scared.

True. Now we're seeing dumb and paranoid. Well, just wait until the next preventable epidemic hits. Anti-vaccers might change their tune then (but I'm not that optimistic).

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
12.1.6  Freefaller  replied to  Gordy327 @12.1.5    5 years ago
but I'm not that optimistic).

I have to disagree somewhat.  Fear is a great motivator, people will do just about anything when scared shitless

Gordy327
Professor Expert
12.1.7  Gordy327  replied to  Freefaller @12.1.6    5 years ago

The question becomes, what will they fear more: the vaccines or the onset of preventable diseases?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
12.1.8  Freefaller  replied to  Gordy327 @12.1.7    5 years ago
The question becomes, what will they fear more: the vaccines or the onset of preventable diseases?

Absolutely agree and when they start seeing friends and families kids being partially/fully paralyzed or in an iron lung or bleeding out of every orifice I believe they'll start fearing the disease more than the imagined effect of the vaccination 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
12.1.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @12.1.3    5 years ago

I don't think we need a federal mandate but we should make it easier to hold people accountable when they could have vaccinated, didn't, and then made somebody sick

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
12.1.10  Jack_TX  replied to  Gordy327 @12.1.2    5 years ago
Most people were probably smart enough to heed medical advice and receive vaccinations.

Are.  Most people ARE smart enough.  The math is quite clear.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
12.1.11  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @12.1.9    5 years ago
I don't think we need a federal mandate but we should make it easier to hold people accountable when they could have vaccinated, didn't, and then made somebody sick

How are we going to prove they made somebody sick?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
12.1.12  Gordy327  replied to  Jack_TX @12.1.10    5 years ago
Most people ARE smart enough.

Sometimes I wonder.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
12.1.13  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Gordy327 @12.1.12    5 years ago
I wonder.

I used to too, but i kept getting lost,

at least that's what people tell me,"get lost"    True Story

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
12.1.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @12.1.11    5 years ago

I haven't worked that out yet

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
12.1.15  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @12.1.14    5 years ago
I haven't worked that out yet

Well if you can work that out...it's probably a pretty good idea. 

However the insurance ramifications alone based on this whole new type of liability would be staggering.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
13  igknorantzrulz    5 years ago

sknot off 10 noan fir mi gramher consernz, i did however feel that the author's statement was , a reflection of that which the author , stated and meant.

Context being the decisive factor.

He was replying to another poster about polio vax being mandatory for school admittance, thus those vax were, not are...

i defer to his words, which state his n my case

better. Gordy was responding to Sean's Comment

"Polio is no longer a problem and that was done without compulsory vaccinations. It has always been a choice here in the USA. "  S T

Gordys' response
*"Polio is no longer a problem*

"Thank you vaccines."

*and that was done without compulsory vaccinations. It has always been a choice here in the USA.* 

"Most people were probably smart enough to heed medical advice and receive vaccinations. People have only recently become dumbed down "

were, to me, makes more cents than to change to R, but eye have my own perceptional disabilities, and only pointed out   iii's

tres stooges style, asz eye did state to ewe, words can be parsed  just ask Rosemary and Sage

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
14  Thrawn 31    5 years ago

If you are anti-vaxxer then you are a fucking moron.

Kavika
Professor Principal
14.1  Kavika   replied to  Thrawn 31 @14    5 years ago

Unvaccinated boy nearly died from tetanus. The cost of his care was almost $1 million.

6-year-old was infected in 2017 while playing on the family's farm, the first case of tetanus in Oregon in 30 years, according to a CDC report.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
14.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kavika @14.1    5 years ago

Child abuse.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
14.1.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Kavika @14.1    5 years ago

some commenting around here , have obviously  been vaccinated against the 

'truth'

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
14.1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Kavika @14.1    5 years ago

His parents should have to pay the entire cost. 100% preventable. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
14.1.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  igknorantzrulz @14.1.2    5 years ago

They are fucking idiots. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
14.1.5  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Thrawn 31 @14.1.4    5 years ago
They are fucking idiots. 

You really shouldn't water it down like this...

tell them what u REALLY THINK and how u Really FEEL about them !

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
14.1.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  igknorantzrulz @14.1.5    5 years ago

They should all go die in a fire and do the rest of our species a favor? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
15  Kavika     5 years ago

Current outbreak of measles in NY, one of the largest outbreaks in decades. Unvaccinated kids once again. 

New York Confronts Its Worst Measles Outbreak in Decades