╌>

NASA plans history's first all-female spacewalk for March 29

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  14 comments

NASA plans history's first all-female spacewalk for March 29
The two astronauts are going to be supported on the ground by flight director Mary Lawrence and Kristen Facciol serving as part of the flight control team, who will be located at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The first-ever all-female spacewalk is scheduled to take place on March 29 and will feature astronauts Anne McClain and Christina Koch, NASA confirmed Tuesday. The two astronauts are going to be supported on the ground by flight director Mary Lawrence and Kristen Facciol serving as part of the flight control team, who will be located at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston.

The big picture: The first American woman in space was Sally Ride, who flew with the space shuttle Challenger in 1983. However, spacewalks are relatively rare events, primarily occurring to make mechanical repairs to the International Space Station. The odds have therefore favored male dominated or male-female spacewalks, based on the composition of most ISS flight crews.

Details: According to NASA, all three NASA astronauts who will be aboard the ISS at the end of the month are from the 2013 astronaut class , which was 50% women, as was the most recent class of flight directors .

A NASA spokesperson who confirmed the historical significance of the planned spacewalk said it was "not orchestrated to be this way."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Girl Power !

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

I'm surprised it took this long.  54 years of space walking.  Geez.  It's not like they have to lift heavy stuff or anything like that.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    5 years ago

How is she supposed to pull this off in heels?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I guess in the big scheme of things this is not a big deal, but I think it's pretty cool. It's not THAT long ago that females were considered too delicate and not "smart" enough to be astronauts , and certainly not to space walk.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

Necessary evolution or NASA publicity stunt?

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1  Dulay  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4    5 years ago

Are you questioning the qualifications of these Astronauts? 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Dulay @4.1    5 years ago

No, he is questioning NASA's desperation to stay relevant. 

I don't know how Trump expects to get a US Space Force when NASA still has to farm out getting US astronauts into space to other countries.

I think it is great that US women astronauts are achieving so much; but NASA needs to get it's head back into the game and focus on what it's primary mission really is.  They have been on vacation since Obama grounded the Space Shuttle program. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1.1    5 years ago

Your answer was right on the money as to what I was thinking. My thanks.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.3  Dulay  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1.1    5 years ago
I think it is great that US women astronauts are achieving so much; but NASA needs to get it's head back into the game and focus on what it's primary mission really is.

Including that 'but' in your comment makes it seem that somehow women in NASA is holding them back for their primary mission.

Any review of the qualifications of the women we're talking about would tell you that they ARE part of that primary mission, not just window dressing...

They have been on vacation since Obama grounded the Space Shuttle program.

Re-writing history again. From 2004:

The shuttle's chief purpose over the next several years will be to help finish assembly of the International Space Station. In 2010, the space shuttle, after nearly 30 years of duty, will be retired from service.

Bush killed the Space Shuttle program starting in 2004. As was his normal practice, Bush made a bunch of promises about replacing the Shuttle and failed to fund it...

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago

The female center of gravity tends to be closer to the center of their bodies. I wonder if that makes them more efficient space walkers?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6  Dean Moriarty    5 years ago

Probably a good idea. 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
7  Rmando    5 years ago

At least they won't mind stopping to ask for directions if they get lost. Male astronauts would wander around for hours.