╌>

Daylight saving time 2019 starts on Sunday. Here's how to prepare so you're not tired on Monday.

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  39 comments

Daylight saving time 2019 starts on Sunday. Here's how to prepare so you're not tired on Monday.
The trick to readying for DST is to start moving your internal clock ahead now before the real one springs ahead on Sunday.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

* To reduce the effects of DST, try to reset your clock by going to bed and waking up 15-20 minutes earlier starting a few days before the time change.

By   Nicole Spector

This Sunday, we’ll turn our clocks ahead one hour (our smartphones and other Wi-Fi-connected devices should do it automatically at 2 a.m). This   transition to daylight saving time (DST) may seem trivial, but it does affect us   — and can potentially be disruptive.

Our circadian clock   gets dysregulated or thrown off, which affects how we feel, think, etc,” says   Beth Malow , M.D., M.S., professor of neurology and pediatrics and director, Sleep Disorders Division, Vanderbilt University Medical Center. “Some people are more sensitive than others based on genetics, age (younger people usually adapt better),   morning versus evening types   — similar to how different people [deal differently] with jet lag.”

We’ve compiled a list of expert tips for how to prepare for DST so that you barely notice the change — and more importantly, aren’t   falling asleep at your desk   next Monday.

LEADING UP TO DST, ADJUST YOUR BEDTIME AND WAKE UP TIME

The main trick to readying for DST is to start moving the clock ahead before it shifts a full hour on Sunday. You can achieve this by going to bed earlier and earlier each starting tonight and waking up earlier, too.

“Try to reset your clock by going to bed and waking up 15-20 minutes earlier starting a few days before the time change, then an additional 15-20 minutes earlier (total of 30-40 minutes earlier from when you usually go to bed/wake up) the day before the time change,” says Malow. “This will help your body transition more smoothly rather than abruptly.”

RESIST THE EXTRA CUP OF COFFEE

Loading up on caffeine   can wake us up like nothing else, but this quick fix can come at a cost. The more coffee (or other caffeinated substances, like   soda ) you drink during the day, the more you risk disrupting your   sleep patterns .

“Caffeine can be helpful with the sleepiness we feel, but stay away from any caffeine at least four hours before bedtime to avoid   having problems falling asleep ,” says Dr.   Andrew Stiehm, MD , who specializes in pulmonary and sleep medicine at Allina Health's United Sleep and Lung Center.

AVOID THE NIGHTCAP AND NIX HEAVY DINNERS

Alcohol can make us drowsy, which is why it might seem like a great idea to have a nightcap before bedtime — but a late night drink can only potentially worsen trouble sleeping.

“While   alcohol   may help you fall asleep, it also prevents you from getting quality sleep,” says Stiehm, who recommends   abstaining from booze   in the later hours, as well as avoiding hefty   meals or snacks close to bedtime .

“Consider a smaller snack such as bananas, almonds or oatmeal,” says Stiehm.

SUNLIGHT AND EXERCISE SHOULD HELP YOU ACCLIMATE

Now that we’re getting more sunlight in the evenings, try and experience it as much as you can now, and when DST kicks in. This will help your body acclimate to the time change.

"When exposed to sunlight, the eye sends messages to the brain where nerve cells produce in response, melatonin, which practically sends a message to the brain’s networks: 'Wake up,'” says   Hermona Soreq , neuroscientist and professor at Hebrew University of Jerusalem's Safra Center for Brain Sciences.

Dr. Samant Virk , a neurologist and founder of the telemedicine company, MediSprout, recommends getting outside and exposing yourself to as much light as possible during daylight hours, “as this helps your body suppress melatonin, the sleep-inducing chemical in your body, [and] delay your sleep cycle until the appropriate bedtime.”

If it’s   too chilly to spend much time outdoor s, spend some time with a light box, instead.

Using a light box   can also help with this,” says says   Pradeep C. Bollu , MD, a neurologist, director of Sleep Disorders Center and professor at University of Missouri. “ Routine daily exercise in the morning   is always helpful as it improves alertness.”

DON’T SLEEP IN ON SUNDAY, BUT TAKE A 20-MINUTE NAP IF YOU’RE TIRED

Regardless of how well you’ve prepped ahead of DST, you may still find yourself pretty sleepy on Sunday.

It’s best to rise as early as possible on Sunday, and then look forward to   a short nap   in the afternoon.

“Resist the urge to sleep in on Sunday and avoid sleeping an hour longer in the morning,” says Bollu. “If you have daytime sleepiness, a short nap (about 20 minutes long) is fine. Make sure the nap is no longer than that and not in the evening times.”

PRO-TIPS FOR HELPING KIDS ADJUST TO DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME

It’s one thing to prep yourself for DST — it’s quite another to see that your kids adjust.

Bobbi Jo Hopkins , M.D., director of the Sleep Center at Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital shares the following tips for kids and teens:

• ”Since the kids/teens may have difficulty going to sleep earlier and waking earlier,   simplify the morning routine   by organizing everything they need for school the night before. Place shoes by the door, lay out clothes/breakfast, pack the backpack, etc.”
  • “Even if the kids ‘lose’ an hour of sleep, try to [have them] avoid napping during the day to make going to sleep the next night easier.”

A NOTE FOR CAREGIVERS OF PEOPLE WITH ALZHEIMER’S

If you’re   the caretaker of someone with Alzheimer’s disease   or another form of dementia, it’s important to help them safely adjust to the time change.

"Because people with Alzheimer's disease or other dementias often are happiest with a regular daily routine, and because they sometimes experience irregular sleep patterns, the change to DST may be especially challenging,”   Maria Carrillo , Ph.D., chief science officer for the Alzheimer's Association. “It is common for people living with these diseases to experience increased confusion and agitation beginning at dusk and continuing throughout the night; we commonly call this ‘sundowning.’"

The Alzheimer's Association recommends caregivers of persons who experience sundowning help the individual get plenty of rest, reduce stimulation during the evening hours and keep the home well-lit in the evening and early morning.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

Thankfully, Arizona does not recognize DST.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1    5 years ago

Michigan has a bill being considered to drop out as well.   I hope we do.

Enough with antiquated concepts .....

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

6230c5930ecdc4f3c374725e9a80b061.jpg

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @2    5 years ago

Although I usually appreciate American Indian wisdom, this one doesn't have it.  Daylight savings time, providing more light at night,  is a good thing.  The blanket isn't longer, it is shifted.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    5 years ago
Daylight savings time, providing more light at night,

Ya really should think of the "Kids".

The "Kids" Damn It !

Better that they wait at the bus stop in light.....than in Dark !

Lighter earlier in the morning than at "Night" I say !

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    5 years ago

I am an old retired guy who collects expensive watches and rarely looks at them for the time. The sun and the moon tell me all I need to know about what time of day it is.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    5 years ago
Although I usually appreciate American Indian wisdom

As do I

this one doesn't have it

I beg to differ, I kind of like it

The blanket isn't longer, it is shifted.

Oh, is that your reasoning, blood brother?  On behalf of my Native American friends, I bestow a new name for you. From now on you shall be known as "Wipes with Leaves"

Go in peace, my friend

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I have never had any ill effect of the switch to daylight savings time. Unless someone sleeps the exact same number of hours every night , and I don't , I don't see how there could be any effect. It's just another night, although I may try to go to sleep a little early Saturday night.

As for getting rid of it, I am not in favor. City dwellers do a lot of outdoor activity in the summer, and most people still work in the daytime. Having more sunlight in the evening in the warmer months is a joy to most people, in my opinion.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1  katrix  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago

Many of us have to get up at the same time each morning, and it takes a while to adjust to getting up an hour earlier - even if you're able to get to sleep an hour earlier at night (which luckily, I am able to do, but not everyone can).

I wish they'd keep DST all year long.  I'd much rather have the extra hour of daylight after work when I can actually do stuff.

My bigger problem is when DST ends.  My cats have no clue what's going on and they still expect me to wake up at what to them is still 5:30, to feed them ... but to me it's not time to get up yet!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  katrix @3.1    5 years ago

The missing hour of sleep is from Saturday night to Sunday, not Sunday to Monday (the normal work day).   I just don't buy that this altering of one hour is a big deal, although that is just my personal opinion.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to    5 years ago
we start work earlier in the summer to be the heat and go to work later in the winter to let it warm up a little.

makes sense

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.4  katrix  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    5 years ago

I don't reset my clock until I get up on Sunday.  And for quite a few people, that hour makes a big difference if they have a set sleep schedule.  It doesn't bother me that much, but then I don't keep the same sleep schedule on the weekend as I do during the week.  I know it's recommended that I do that - but if I went to bed at 9:30 or 10 on the weekends, I'd never have any fun.  And I see no point in getting up at 5:30 when I don't have to!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.5  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    5 years ago

I'm an insomniac so WTF do I care?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.2  Freefaller  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago

Same here my sleep patterns are so all over the place normally that the time changes really make no difference

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

I've been on DST for the last several months. I get up well before I really should. So getting up at 3:30 AM will seem normal to me

I just wish we could stay on DST permanently

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago

It seems like it's long past time to stop with this crap. I believe there have been several studies at this point showing we aren't getting any particular benefit from it.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6  It Is ME    5 years ago

We need to get rid of this "Time Change" thingy SHIT !

It's not like "Farmers" still use horses to help accomplish things before the sun goes down anymore.

I hear that "Farm Tractors" are also used to pull a weighted sled as fast and as far as possible for fun these days ! jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1  Sparty On  replied to  It Is ME @6    5 years ago

Yeah and they invented these things called headlights that work pretty good at night as well ....

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Sparty On @6.1    5 years ago
Yeah and they invented these things called headlights that work pretty good as well ....

jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

charger 383
Professor Silent
7  charger 383    5 years ago

This is one of my favorite days and I hate when DST ends in the fall.  I wish we had DST as regular and move it another hour for more time in the evening

cjcold
Professor Quiet
7.1  cjcold  replied to  charger 383 @7    5 years ago

Pretty sure that dawn and sunset still happen when they happen.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
8  Enoch    5 years ago

None of this solves a source of confusion for me.

I thought EST referred to Enoch's Standard Time.

Should I re-set my pancreas?

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Enoch @8    5 years ago

I don't know about the pancreas, but, I always have to try to re-set my hunger bug when DST comes around. Moving dinner time back an hour does not work for me.jrSmiley_55_smiley_image.gif

Enoch
Masters Quiet
8.1.1  Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing @8.1    5 years ago

Dear Sister Raven Wing: To take the din out of DST, add a silent "e" and dine.

Enoch, Expressing Something Huge by Dropping the Silent "e" and Giving You a Warm Cyber Hug.   

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.2  Freefaller  replied to  Enoch @8    5 years ago

Not sure about your pancreas but it made me wish I could reset my bladderjrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Enoch
Masters Quiet
8.2.1  Enoch  replied to  Freefaller @8.2    5 years ago

Dear Friend Freefaller: Seems I am not the only one who is P.O.'ed by DST. 

E.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Enoch @8    5 years ago

Maybe your bladder?

Enoch
Masters Quiet
8.3.1  Enoch  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8.3    5 years ago

Dear Friend Perrie: Try a different organ please.

My bladder is spoken for.

Took a part time job in a urology office as a floater.

Smiles.

E.

Kavika
Professor Principal
9  Kavika     5 years ago

77903369197c70a190c458aae457e96a.jpg

shona1
PhD Quiet
9.1  shona1  replied to  Kavika @9    5 years ago

I hate it...It is a pain in the "a" and we get 6 months of it..Use to only go for 3 months just for the summer..But some idiot Politician in Melbourne who would not know which way was up...decided we had to have it for 6 months...So it now dark of a morning at 7am so you have to turn the lights on...And it is hard especially for kids when they are travelling up to 80 kms on a bus to get to school....So they are now leaving in the dark and getting home on dusk..Ours does not finish until the 7th of April...Yippeee....can't wait...

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1.1  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @9.1    5 years ago

How do you really feel about it, Shona....jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

I'm at the beach and I don't care about daylight saving time...

travelling-to-australia.jpg

shona1
PhD Quiet
9.1.2  shona1  replied to  Kavika @9.1.1    5 years ago

That will be me tomorrow I hope....The last gasp of summer before Autumn rolls in with a vengeance....Though a lot of Victoria is going up in flames at the moment..Damn Bushfires...It has been a dry one and did not quite get away with it this year sadly..No deaths, 30 houses gone not to mention the wildlife etc....But it could have been a lot worse.....

cjcold
Professor Quiet
9.1.3  cjcold  replied to  shona1 @9.1.2    5 years ago

Seems everything down under stands a chance of killing a bloke.