╌>

Native American tribe donates $184,000 to cover funeral costs for Alabama tornado victims

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  5 years ago  •  22 comments

Native American tribe donates $184,000 to cover funeral costs for Alabama tornado victims

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A Native American tribe in Alabama is donating $184,000 as part of an effort to cover the funeral costs for the 23 people who died this week in an outbreak of tornadoes.

“The Tribe is making a $184,000 donation to the East Alabama Medical Center Foundation to assist in the burial of the victims from last Sunday’s devastating tornado in Lee County, AL," Stephanie A. Bryan, Tribal Chair and CEO of Poarch Band of Creek Indians, said in a Facebook post last week.

"It is at times of greatest need that we often see our communities coming together to help one another, this is one of those times. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of those affected.” 

Lee County coroner Bill Harris confirmed the size of the donation   to CNN . The coroner told the network that the tribe agreed to increase its donation by more than $100,000 after another donor backed out of the initial arrangement. 

The money from the tribe will be donated to East Alabama Medical Center Foundation to make sure none of it is spent on administrative costs, CNN noted.

"My goal was to be able to provide what the families wanted" for "this casket or this service without having to scrimp because they didn't have the money," Harris said. "These folks have stepped up for a community need, and I appreciate that."

Harris added that other local organizations have pitched in to cover funeral costs. He said that a notable person from Alabama pledged to donate $10,000 for footmarkers for graves.  

The community effort comes as Lee County grapples with the damage incurred by an outbreak of tornadoes that killed 23 people, including several children.  

President Trump  and First Lady   Melania Trump   visited the region and met with victims' families last week. Trump also signed an emergency disaster declaration that authorized federal aid for parts of the state. 

According   to its website , the Poarch Band of Creek Indians is the only federally recognized Native American tribe in Alabama. The tribe manages a number of businesses, including gaming facilities and hotels. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     5 years ago

Gakina Awiiya (we are all related)

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @1    5 years ago

So totally cool! Doubt any other organization was willing to do that to help.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1    5 years ago
So totally cool! Doubt any other organization was willing to do that to help.

The tribes first contribution was $50,000. They found out that another donor backed out and they came back with $184,000 to cover all the costs for the families.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.2  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @1    5 years ago

Posted to Facebook.  It deserves to be seen.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

What a wonderful thing to do for the Poarch Band of Creek Indians to do. It is outstanding that they could raise so much money to help those who have so little. I hope that people remember that.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    5 years ago
I hope that people remember that.

I do as well sister...

I read where one family lost ten members...How very sad.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @3.1    5 years ago

Nothing can be worse than that. Like they were all never here. 

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    5 years ago

Thank you to them.

I could never imagine losing everything then having to bury family members.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Ender @4    5 years ago

Whatever help they can be given I'm sure is most appreciated. 

Thankfully the Creek Indian tribe is doing their part and I've read when others group/individuals are coming to the rescue as well. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5  Raven Wing    5 years ago

Indeed we are all related. We are all one people....it's called human beings. In times of such need, it is truly Spiritually uplifting to see one group of people so willing to help another, regardless of race or beliefs. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing @5    5 years ago
t is truly Spiritually uplifting to see one group of people so willing to help another, regardless of race or beliefs. 

Exactly RW.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Kavika @5.1    5 years ago

in total agreement with RW and yourself

just curious, do you know how Poarch is pronounced,?

interesting spelling 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.1.1    5 years ago
just curious, do you know how Poarch is pronounced,?

I don't know the correct pronunciation, igknorantzrulz. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.1.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Kavika @5.1.2    5 years ago

thank you anyway,

and a good positive seed as well

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
5.1.4  1stwarrior  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.1.1    5 years ago

As in "Porch" - the French never got it right.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.1.5  igknorantzrulz  replied to  1stwarrior @5.1.4    5 years ago

what i figured, as i couldn't mix poached with porch with it sounding right

thnx 1stwarrior

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.6  seeder  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @5.1.4    5 years ago
As in "Porch" - the French never got it right.

Payhtuk naandow piikishwew lil Fraansay.....LOL (careful how you talk about the French) That's Metis or Michif which is French/Cree/Ojibwe...

Enoch
Masters Quiet
6  Enoch    5 years ago

Dear Brother Kavika: What a great and grand action taken for the benefit of others in need.

With sincere selfless acts of charity, humanity wins.

Great seed.

Thanks.

P&AB.

Enoch.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Enoch @6    5 years ago
What a great and grand action taken for the benefit of others in need. With sincere selfless acts of charity, humanity wins.

Yes it does niijii. We need more of it.

Nona62
Professor Silent
7  Nona62    5 years ago

What a  wonderful gesture to jump right in , and do soooo much good for people they don't even know.. I hear of things like this and it re-news my Faith in humanity.

Thanks for posting this Kavika !!!

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Nona62 @7    5 years ago
I hear of things like this and it re-news my Faith in humanity.

Indeed it does, Nona....