╌>

Physicists reverse time using quantum computer

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  larry-hampton  •  5 years ago  •  46 comments

Physicists reverse time using quantum computer

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Researchers from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology teamed up with colleagues from the U.S. and Switzerland and returned the state of a quantum computer a fraction of a second into the past. They also calculated the probability that an electron in empty interstellar space will spontaneously travel back into its recent past. The  study  is published in  Scientific Reports .

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1  seeder  Larry Hampton    5 years ago

Reversing time on demand

The researchers then attempted to reverse time in a four-stage experiment. Instead of an electron, they observed the state of a quantum computer made of two and later three basic elements called superconducting qubits.

• Stage 1: Order. Each qubit is initialized in the ground state, denoted as zero. This highly ordered configuration corresponds to an electron localized in a small region, or a rack of billiard balls before the break.
    • Stage 2: Degradation. The order is lost. Just like the electron is smeared out over an increasingly large region of space, or the rack is broken on the pool table, the state of the qubits becomes an ever more complex changing pattern of zeros and ones. This is achieved by briefly launching the evolution program on the quantum computer. Actually, a similar degradation would occur by itself due to interactions with the environment. However, the controlled program of autonomous evolution will enable the last stage of the experiment.
    • Stage 3: Time reversal. A special program modifies the state of the quantum computer in such a way that it would then evolve "backwards," from chaos toward order. This operation is akin to the random microwave background fluctuation in the case of the electron, but this time, it is deliberately induced. An obviously far-fetched analogy for the billiards example would be someone giving the table a perfectly calculated kick.
    • Stage 4: Regeneration. The evolution program from the second stage is launched again. Provided that the "kick" has been delivered successfully, the program does not result in more chaos but rather rewinds the state of the qubits back into the past, the way a smeared electron would be localized or the billiard balls would retrace their trajectories in reverse playback, eventually forming a triangle.

The researchers found that in 85 percent of the cases, the two-qubit quantum computer returned back into the initial state. When three qubits were involved, more errors happened, resulting in a roughly 50 percent success rate. According to the authors, these errors are due to imperfections in the actual quantum computer. As more sophisticated devices are designed, the error rate is expected to drop.

Interestingly, the time reversal algorithm itself could prove useful for making quantum computers more precise. "Our algorithm could be updated and used to test programs written for  quantum  computers and eliminate noise and errors," Lebedev explained.

Read more at: 

Eat The Press Do Not Read It
PhD Guide
1.1  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  Larry Hampton @1    5 years ago

Did, I get that right, Larry Hampton, I may be in two places at once if you stare at me?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

Very cool article Larry....Back to the Future.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
2.1  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Kavika @2    5 years ago

Thanks kavika. Jay Leno bought one of these time travel machines sometime ago...

;~)

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Larry Hampton @2.1    5 years ago

We were at a classic car show this past weekend and there was a perfect DeLoren there. Very cool

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @2.1.1    5 years ago
perfect DeLoren

I believe that qualifies as an oxymoron, lol.

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    5 years ago

I always heard that one could travel through space and time is different.

As one can travel for five years yet 50 years may have past on Earth.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
3.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Ender @3    5 years ago

You musta been reading Isaac Asimov - he was the genius of SF.

Would have liked seeing a video of the activity - but the one on the Sun was very jerky and not focused.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.2  Gordy327  replied to  Ender @3    5 years ago

That sounds like time dilation. The closer you get to a strong gravity well, like a black hole, the more time "slows" down from the viewer's perspective, if I have that correct.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Do you think they can use this stuff as a way to make us age in reverse i.e. get younger?  jrSmiley_11_smiley_image.gif

CB
Professor Principal
4.1  CB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    5 years ago

Problem is we are tissue, bone, muscle, mind, and . . . .  Everything an organic creature is - is a product of time moving in one direction: forward. It would seem (to me anyway) that in order to reverse flesh aging, it needs to occur individually, organically, and not as a uniform setting.

I can be wrong in my thinking, however.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  CB @4.1    5 years ago

True CB.  There are only a few species capable of rejuvenating.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.2  CB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.1    5 years ago

And even rejuvenation is forward-action, yes?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  CB @4.1.2    5 years ago

Well, I wouldn't mind rejuvenating.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.4  CB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.3    5 years ago

HA!

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    5 years ago
Do you think they can use this stuff as a way to make us age in reverse i.e. get younger? 

I'm signing up.

Eat The Press Do Not Read It
PhD Guide
5  Eat The Press Do Not Read It    5 years ago

Truthfully, I did Travel Through Space & Time on a peyote trip in the early 1970s and fell through the Center of the Universe. I flipped head over heel, at a delightful speed. Stopped!

Heard GOD's voice!

He said, "I can only do GOOD". (Meaning, he, God, can only do good.) 

Instantly, I reversed,  "head over heels" and entered our dimension through a metal wall.

Few, to this day, except for American Indians, value this experience. Nearly everyone I tell it to thinks I am nuts. Even, at times, me.

From that experience, I understand better the concept of multiple dimensions.

What seemed like a long time, happened, it seemed to me that "Time stood still".

At the time, I misinterpreted the experience, rushing to tell my friend in the other room that, "God has limitations". 

The only one that had limitations was me.

CB
Professor Principal
5.1  CB  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @5    5 years ago

It is a bit off-topic, which is why I hesitated to post until now:

I won't leave you hanging, nevertheless. . . .  Many years back, I had quite a few (really good) experiences with such psychoactive products. I did not see or hear God but I saw "a great many profound things" which I keep in my heart to this day! (Oh, and Pink Floyd's, The Wall,  was my anthem.)

Once I experienced going so deep into my own 'self' that I saw myself as an old man - startled, I left that level rapidly!

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2  Krishna  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @5    5 years ago
 Few, to this day, except for American Indians, value this experience.

....I have noticed over the years that various drugs (as well as other things proporting to provide these sorts of unique "spiritual" experiences, change. Different things go in and out of style-- what's "hip"-- what's "cool". (ex: Ayahusca.) .

And what is considered not cool.

P.S. over the years I've tried many recreational drugs. Interestingly, the first one I used was Peyote (in the early 1960s)-- in fact I did Peyote well over a year before I even tried Marijuana!

Nearly everyone I tell it to thinks I am nuts. Even, at times, me.

Well, some of them might be right! (Others ...not so much!!! jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif )

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
6  nightwalker    5 years ago

I always suspected that Peyote or LSD or some other hallucinogenic were involved somewhere in your thought processes.

jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Krishna
Professor Expert
7  Krishna    5 years ago

Time and Space are an illusion. (And, at the same time...they are not).

(And that's all I wish to say on the topic at this time jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png )

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
8  dave-2693993    5 years ago

This is absolutely fantastic.

I miss so much stuff here and this is just one example, but this is fantastic news. This is a story that deserves the oft wrongly applied "WOW, Just WOW".

Really.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1  Gordy327  replied to  dave-2693993 @8    5 years ago
This is a story that deserves the oft wrongly applied "WOW, Just WOW".

Indeed. Could we be seeing the beginning of time travel technology? jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
8.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1    5 years ago
Indeed. Could we be seeing the beginning of time travel technology? jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

Maybe?...and in reverse of all things!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  dave-2693993 @8.1.1    5 years ago
Maybe?...and in reverse of all things!

Go back in time, change a few things. Then we have an alternate, more dystopian timeline to deal with.

CB
Professor Principal
8.1.3  CB  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1.2    5 years ago

Knowing you, that first 'bible' would be knocked from the hands of its recipient! HA!

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
8.1.4  dave-2693993  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1.2    5 years ago

Reminds me of a Ray Bradbury short story.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.5  Gordy327  replied to  dave-2693993 @8.1.4    5 years ago

Which one?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.6  Gordy327  replied to  CB @8.1.3    5 years ago

jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

CB
Professor Principal
8.1.7  CB  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1.6    5 years ago

Oh c'mon! You know I got in your 'wellspring' with that one!

CB
Professor Principal
8.1.8  CB  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1    5 years ago

I want to offer something to ponder:

In the universe 'of things': Things apparently have its opposites. Therefore, every disease has a cure. Time moves forward-it can move backwards.

No matter one's view of the universe, that it is God driven or random, we can respect that we are learning of its potential completeness of 'transactions.' I suggest that the universe is a full container of all possibilities it offers—nothing left open-ended.

The hard part. It appears to be man's responsibility to figure it all out.

One more thing about time moving forward and backwards then.  There can not possibly exist any "us" before tomorrow.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.9  Gordy327  replied to  CB @8.1.7    5 years ago

Yeah, no!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.10  Gordy327  replied to  CB @8.1.8    5 years ago

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

CB
Professor Principal
8.1.11  CB  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1.10    5 years ago

You really don't like me, do ya! (CB pouts.)

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.12  Gordy327  replied to  CB @8.1.11    5 years ago

I have no idea what you're talking about or what your point is. 

CB
Professor Principal
8.1.13  CB  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1.12    5 years ago

Okay. Got it.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
8.1.14  dave-2693993  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1.5    5 years ago

Forgot the title. Was what I call the original Butterfly Effect.

It happened in a time when we could look back in time for big game hunters to travel back to when a dinosaur was about to die, and the hunter could show up to make the kill.

Supposedly, the currents of time would be left unchanged.

One time, a fella stepped on a butterfly during his trip to take his big game. He returned home to a dystopian society.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.15  Gordy327  replied to  dave-2693993 @8.1.14    5 years ago
One time, a fella stepped on a butterfly during his trip to take his big game. He returned home to a dystopian society.

Wasn't that the plot line of one of the Simpsons Halloween episodes?

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
8.1.16  dave-2693993  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1.15    5 years ago
Wasn't that the plot line of one of the Simpsons Halloween episodes?

Could have been. I don't know. I imagine it would be a funny one with Homer going back in time to mess something up.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.17  Gordy327  replied to  dave-2693993 @8.1.16    5 years ago
Could have been. I don't know. I imagine it would be a funny one with Homer going back in time to mess something up.

Found it. It's in 2 parts. Part 1 . Part 2

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
8.1.18  dave-2693993  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1.17    5 years ago

THAT is hilarious!

Thank you Gordy.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.19  Gordy327  replied to  dave-2693993 @8.1.18    5 years ago

My pleasure.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
9  Dismayed Patriot    5 years ago

"Time reversal. A special program modifies the state of the quantum computer in such a way that it would then evolve "backwards," from chaos toward order."

Any chance it might work in US politics? We could seriously use a 2016 reset where we could go back from this nightmare chaos to actual functional order.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
10  MrFrost    5 years ago

Drop me off at Dec. 26th, 1987....so I can push my (now x) wife to be in front of a bus instead of marrying that life sucking bitch. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
10.1  Gordy327  replied to  MrFrost @10    5 years ago

Wow, thats cold. Even for you Frosty, LOL

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MrFrost @10    5 years ago

Wouldn't be easier to make that last minute decision not show up for the wedding?

Heck, I did it.