╌>

What President Trump’s proposed budget cuts could mean for senior citizens

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  96 comments

The president’s proposed budget for next year could spell trouble for older Americans

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The record $4.7 trillion federal budget for 2020 calls for a 5% cut to social programs, including $845 billion from Medicare, $1.5 trillion from Medicaid and as much as $84 billion in Social Security disability benefits.

Fellow legislators and others criticized the budget on Twitter, saying such deep cuts to these social safety-net programs would hurt vulnerable Americans who are already struggling.

Many on social media also noted President Trump had vowed not to cut funding for these programs during his campaign, in debates as well as on Twitter.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Fellow legislators and others criticized the budget on Twitter, saying such deep cuts to these social safety-net programs would hurt vulnerable Americans who are already struggling.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Many on social media also noted President Trump had vowed not to cut funding for these programs during his campaign, in debates as well as on Twitter.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Krishna @2    5 years ago

What count are we up to now? 8,532?

lies that is

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago

He's a liar, WTF did they expect. 

I can't wait to see the republicans tell their senior constituents that they support this and support taking money away from them...

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @3    5 years ago

I think very few Republicans will go along with this. Trump will lose this fight...

lib50
Professor Silent
3.1.1  lib50  replied to  Krishna @3.1    5 years ago

I think he'll lose it too.  I don't care how much you support Trump, if he starts cutting senior benefits, he'll lose and so will the republicans.  Trumpers might not be the brightest, but they know what cuts to their support system will do to them. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Ender  replied to  lib50 @3.1.1    5 years ago

I still wonder. I know people that would vote to kill these programs until they use them themselves. Then it is still everyone else that is the problem.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to    5 years ago
What libbers call "cuts" always turn out to be slight reductions in the rate of increase of benefits.

Wally, why don't you go and actually read the proposed budget, then come back when you have actual knowledge of what is in it.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.6  Ozzwald  replied to    5 years ago
I repeat, there are no cuts to current benefits,Ozzy. Provide a link if you can prove otherwise.

Still haven't read it, huh?

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    5 years ago

Is Paul Ryan still in congress? His wet dream.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1  JBB  replied to  Ender @4    5 years ago

Ary Ayn Rand, Rand Paul and Paul Ryan. OH MY! What could go wrong?

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    5 years ago

[Deleted]

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6  Jack_TX    5 years ago

85% of the cuts are reduced payments to providers.

We've been listening to Democrats tell us for nearly 10 years that reduced payments to providers don't count as Medicare cuts. 

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1  JBB  replied to  Jack_TX @6    5 years ago

Providers denied payments equals patients being denied needed treatments...

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  Jack_TX  replied to  JBB @6.1    5 years ago
Providers denied payments equals patients being denied needed treatments...

Oh....so the Affordable Care Act did actually cut Medicare??  

How does that work, exactly?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.1.3  Jack_TX  replied to    5 years ago
Those numbers get bigger every year, where is the cut?

We're doing Liberal Math.  It's not like regular math.  

lib50
Professor Silent
6.1.4  lib50  replied to    5 years ago

They ARE trying to cut social programs, and have for years.  It's Paul Ryan's wet dream come true.  They also want to replace paid benefits with block grants to states, the purpose is to CUT.  You can't shine this turd, this attempt to destroy our safety net.  All the talking points in the world won't change the intent and result of implementing this.  Here are some articles. 

The 2020 budget’s Medicaid reforms include adding work requirements and repealing Medicaid expansion and one of the most successful policies within the Affordable Care Act. Medicaid expansion reduced the uninsured rate by more than 6 percent in states that enacted the policy ; it continues to show better health outcomes and is popular in conservative states. But Trump is envisioning changing Medicaid altogether; his budget proposes transforming the current pay-as-needed system to a block grant, where states are given a capped lump-sum fund that doesn’t grow with increased need or rising costs. The budget proposes a $1.2 trillion “Market-Based Health Care Grant.”

In isolation, the Medicaid budget cuts amount to $1.5 trillion over 10 years, but looked at in the context of the new block grant as well the work requirements and ACA cuts, the cuts round out to about $777 billion — which could leave millions more uninsured.

The budget also continues an attack on Social Security , including to a program that gives assistance to those who have disabilities that prevent them from being in the workforce. In all, the cuts to Social Security amount to $25 billion over the next 10 years, cutting roughly $10 billion from the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) program, which the administration says will be found through cutting down on fraud — a common conservative talking point .

Here’s a brief look at a few of his proposals for Medicare and Medicaid. His plan would:
  • Cut $845 billion from Medicare over the next 10 years, mainly, the proposal says, by eliminating waste, fraud and abuse and by cutting payments to certain hospitals and other providers. For example, it would reduce payments to hospital outpatient departments and teaching hospitals and provide less money to compensate hospitals for treating patients who don’t — or can’t — pay their bills. The proposal also calls for requiring Medicare beneficiaries to get prior approval for certain medical services that the administration says are ripe for waste and fraud, although it doesn’t specify which services. The budget also says that some savings would come from lowering prescription drug prices, something that would save Medicare beneficiaries and the government money.
  • Reduce Medicaid spending by nearly $1.5 trillion over the next decade. It would eliminate the extra Medicaid funding for states that expanded their programs under the Affordable Care Act (ACA). About 15 million more Americans have joined Medicaid since the ACA expansion was enacted. The budget plan would also give states more power to design their Medicaid programs, including allowing states to get a block grant or institute a per-person cap for Medicaid recipients.

“We are heartened that President Trump’s budget continues to highlight the need to address prescription drug prices ,” says John Hishta, AARP’s senior vice president for campaigns. “But we’re also concerned about proposed cuts to programs important to seniors.”

The budget plan would also cut $220 billion from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistant Program (SNAP) — formerly known as food stamps. It also would expand work requirements to those able to work up to age 65 and use food box delivery services for some recipients instead of cash payments.

“These boxes would stigmatize people struggling to make ends meet by taking away their right to select food for their families, and would not be attuned to families’ particular dietary needs,” Jim Weill, president of the Food Research and Action Center, says in a statement. Nearly 5 million households who receive SNAP benefits have at least one member who is 60 or older.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Tessylo  replied to    5 years ago

Of course it does!  jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.9  Texan1211  replied to    5 years ago
So I give you the actual numbers that show no cuts to SS and Medicare, and you provide somebody’s bullshit opinion. We get it trump bad!

Well, hating on Trump is easier than dealing with the facts.

I challenge anyone to post anything telling us how any SS or Medicare beneficiaries will suffer because of any alleged cut to them. Or what the amount cut will be per person.

lib50
Professor Silent
6.1.10  lib50  replied to    5 years ago

WTF did those numbers even mean?   No context at all.   

trump bad!

Well, since he lies about everything, why would you believe anything?  I didn't even say 'trump bad', but 'trump policies bad'.  Although I do agree with you, funny how you made that leap.  Trump's plans for Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security undermine the institutions and our already fragile safety net.  There has been reams of material over decades highlighting their plans to being the cuts/transition to block grants and start squeezing the life out of us.  Before the gop lost the house, this was their plan:

House Republicans released a budget proposal Tuesday that would balance in nine years – but only by making large cuts to entitlement programs, including Medicare and Social Security, that President Donald Trump has vowed not to touch.

The House Budget Committee is aiming to pass the blueprint later this week, but that may be as far as it goes this midterm election year. It’s not clear that GOP leaders will put the document on the House floor for a vote, and even if it were to pass the House, the budget would have little impact on actual spending levels.

Nonetheless the budget serves as an expression of Republicans’ priorities at a time of rapidly rising deficits and debt. Although the nation’s growing indebtedness has been exacerbated by the GOP’s own policy decisions – including the new tax law, which most analyses say will add at least $1 trillion to the debt – Republicans on the Budget Committee said they felt a responsibility to put the nation on a sounder fiscal trajectory.

“The time is now for our Congress to step up and confront the biggest challenge to our society,” said House Budget Chairman Rep. Steve Womack (R-Ark.). “There is not a bigger enemy on the domestic side than the debt and deficits.”

(love that last line, from the party of massive deficits)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  JBB @6.1    5 years ago

Exactly!

Looks like they're following the TriCare formula now. I used to have the best GP in town and then TriCare decided they didn't want to pay him anymore so his practice dropped me. Now I get cut rate care

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1.13    5 years ago

TriCare and Obamacare are not the same

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.16  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.14    5 years ago

Well ain't that a corker?

I'm surprised some don't know that what with THEIR vast knowledge and experience.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.18  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1.17    5 years ago

Trying to save face now?

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.1.19  Jack_TX  replied to  lib50 @6.1.10    5 years ago
Trump's plans for Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security undermine the institutions and our already fragile safety net.

Did Obama's cuts to Medicare undermine our already fragile safety net?  

Or is that only a thing when a Republican does it?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.20  Trout Giggles  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1.17    5 years ago

I am on topic.

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.21  Ender  replied to    5 years ago

From reading a little bit about that, it looks like any increased spending is for CDR, enforcement and re-determinations. They are spending money looking at cases to determine people to kick off the roles. That is where their savings come from.

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.23  Ender  replied to    5 years ago

Haven't read enough to see about any cuts. So far what I have read is about giving more money to enforcement and kicking people off of SSI and Medicaid.

I am reading a little about Medicare and so far it seems vague. Talking about payments that they only deem as a medical necessity.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
8  luther28    5 years ago

Perhaps we will finally get those death panels the GOP promised us in 2008.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9  Texan1211    5 years ago

I challenge anyone to provide ANY numbers that show any person's SS will be reduced, or that their Medicare benefits will be cut.

lib50
Professor Silent
9.1  lib50  replied to  Texan1211 @9    5 years ago

Social Security covers more than retirement benefits.   But make no mistake, the gop would like to cut that as well, proven from past budgets. 

Trump's budget calls for a big change to Social Security's disability program

While Trump's budget proposal aims to curtail a number of perceived inefficiencies with the Social Security program, the bulk of the savings ($10 billion total between 2020 and 2029) are expected to be realized from a single change to the Social Security Disability Insurance program.

However, not all disability recipients file their claims with the SSA right away. Should you choose to apply for Social Security Disability Insurance long after you've actually become disabled, you may be able to receive retroactive benefits. These retroactive disability benefits would cover the time period from when you actually became disabled through when you applied for Social Security Disability benefits, with a maximum collectible period of 12 months.

It should be noted that the SSA will subtract the five-month waiting period from your filing, meaning you must apply for benefits 17 months or longer after the onset of your disability if you're to receive the full 12 months of retroactive disability pay. 

Trump's budget proposal for fiscal 2020 aims to halve the amount of retroactive pay disabled persons can recover to six months from 12 months. Doing so would reduce program outlays by $3.61 billion between 2020 and 2024, and almost $10 billion on the dot, in aggregate, over the next decade. 

I'm sure this budget will never go through, but it DOES exist to cut benefits, especially in the future when they think they can get away with it.  But don't say it doesn't harm SS, if it went through, it would.  And it is easy to google previous gop plans to cut entitlements.  Instead of pretending they don't exist, try looking deeper and don't skim the surface all the time. 

Oh, heck, here is another one:

The record $4.7 trillion federal budget for 2020 calls for a 5% cut to social programs , including $845 billion from Medicare, $1.5 trillion from Medicaid and as much as $84 billion in Social Security disability benefits , all to be implemented over the next 10 years if passed.

lib50
Professor Silent
9.1.2  lib50  replied to  XDm9mm @9.1.1    5 years ago

I have nothing for people who don't want to see what is right in front of their faces.  Go ahead and defend this with word parsing and blinders, but don't expect people with a brain to buy it.  Like I said, the gop have not been shy about their desire to cut the safety net.  The information is out there.  Don't try to pretend they don't want to cut important programs, they use the 'savings' in their budget projections (which NEVER add up to squat).  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @9.1.3    5 years ago

Chill out dude.  

lib50
Professor Silent
9.1.5  lib50  replied to  Tessylo @9.1.4    5 years ago

Sounds like they want everybody to just sign up immediately before all is known.  Seems expensive.  Also doesn't take into account all the bullshit people are going through when they suddenly need it.  Little things like comas or recovering from a massive accident.  Stop the workd and deal with paperwork.  I wonder how many people he knows that have dealt with any of this?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
9.1.7  Jack_TX  replied to  lib50 @9.1.5    5 years ago
Sounds like they want everybody to just sign up immediately before all is known.

Possibly.  It's also possible they're just trying to lower the payouts.  SSDI is a problematic program.  The percent of Americans recieving benefits is 2.5 times what it was 50 years ago.  Our jobs are easier...yet we're much more likely to become disabled?  Seems improbable.  

Lots of people believe the program has rampant fraud and abuse, but that has not been definitively proven yet.

Seems expensive.

I believe that's what we refer to as "the law of unintended consequences".  

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.1.8  seeder  Krishna  replied to  XDm9mm @9.1.3    5 years ago
READING is fundamental.

Not for Trump!

(He's one of the least knowledgeable president we've had! :-(

lib50
Professor Silent
9.1.9  lib50  replied to  XDm9mm @9.1.6    5 years ago

I know someone in a coma and extensive rehab.  Some things just don't happen perfectly.  There can be a lot going on and not everybody is thinking straight in the beginning.  Things like life and death have a way of overshadowing everything, especially in the beginning.  Sometimes I think people don't have a clue what other people go through when tragedy strikes.