╌>

What we know so far in the college admissions cheating scandal

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sparty-on  •  5 years ago  •  45 comments

What we know so far in the college admissions cheating scandal

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The massive college admissions scam, thought to be the biggest ever prosecuted in the United States , is a harsh reminder that wealthy families can cheat their way to even greater privilege. And some say this scandal is just the tip of the iceberg .

Here's what we know so far in this developing case:

Who's involved?

Federal prosecutors say 50 people took part in a scheme that involved either cheating on standardized tests or bribing college coaches and school officials to accept students as college athletes -- even if the student had never played that sport.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sparty On    5 years ago

More proof of how rotten some college admission programs are.

So much for equal treatment.

Iamak47
Freshman Silent
1.1  Iamak47  replied to  Sparty On @1    5 years ago

Some people are more equal than others.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Iamak47 @1.1    5 years ago

Lol .... clearly

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago

A list of parents that are involved was made public...The two Hollywood types are joined by CEO's, lawyers and other corporate executives.

Singer was quite explicit when he said he has ''helped'' 761 parents over the years in this illegal activity. 

I see where USC has said that any student on that list will be barred from attending USC. Each and ever school involved should kick them out of the school. They have no right to be there at all. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @3    5 years ago
They have no right to be there at all. 

Sadly that is probably not totally true for many of them but who knows.   I bet some of them could have qualified the proper way if they had tried. 

I could be wrong but i bet this is more of a "parent" problem than a "student" problem.

This is just one of the problems with admission when schools shy away from largely qualification based systems

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Sparty On @3.1    5 years ago
I could be wrong but i bet this is more of a "parent" problem than a "student" problem.

It certainly is a parent problem, but they have some of the students on tape involved in the ''scam''....One actually bragging about it. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @3.1.1    5 years ago

Yeah, i saw that .... not good ..... the little pricks.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.4  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.3    5 years ago

No argument there.  

When people try to intimate they were too young to know better on stuff like this i like to remind them that our military has kids about their age leading combat patrols in various parts of the world right now.  

I think they are all qualified to be held responsible for their actions .....jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5  Thrawn 31    5 years ago

What we know is that rich folks with dip shit kids will bribe their dunces into college. That's how Jared and Donald got in, so no surprise. 

But for real, what we have really learned, or should have, is that America is not a meritocracy. Money determines where you start, and where you will most likely end up.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5    5 years ago
is that America is not a meritocracy.

Bullshit, i’m proof of that.    Of course it took dedication and hard work.    Hard work many dullards aren’t smart enough or dedicated enough to put out.

People looking for hand outs will never get anywhere.   Even if people like AOC get their way.

Iamak47
Freshman Silent
5.1.1  Iamak47  replied to  Sparty On @5.1    5 years ago
Bullshit

Agreed!

My accomplishments are real, so are my wife’s and our sons.  We started with nothing but have built a family and a comfortable, fulfilling life.  I wouldn’t trade places with those involved in this scandal for ANY amount of money.

Building a life should be hard.  If it’s not, you end up shallow, narcissistic and annoying.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sparty On @5.1    5 years ago
Bullshit, i’m proof of that.    Of course it took dedication and hard work.    Hard work many dullards aren’t smart enough or dedicated enough to put out.

I never said it can't happen, but the system is heavily skewed towards those born into wealth, that is undeniable. 

People looking for hand outs will never get anywhere.

What are you talking about? Our president has lived his entire life on handouts and he's the president.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Iamak47 @5.1.1    5 years ago

Many of us do indeed meet with success, but we have to work for it. We start out at a significant disadvantage and really only achieve anything in spite of the system, not because of it. 

Iamak47
Freshman Silent
5.1.4  Iamak47  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.1.3    5 years ago
......significant disadvantage

You’re going to need to expand on that.  I’ve known many who had “significant disadvantages”...both physical and mental, who went on to achieve great things due to their passion, dedication and work ethic.

conversely, I’ve known many who started with a leg-up and never accomplished shit. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.1.5  Thrawn 31  replied to  Iamak47 @5.1.4    5 years ago
You’re going to need to expand on that.

Really? Okay then, I guess...

Rich kids have access to the best teachers, the best schools, the best tutors, never miss a meal, always have a roof over their heads, never want for anything. Most of the rest of us do not enjoy half of that list, and far too many enjoy none of those things. Hence the disadvantage.

I’ve known many who had “significant disadvantages”...both physical and mental, who went on to achieve great things due to their passion, dedication and work ethic.

I never said it was impossible, just unlikely. And good for them, the odds were stacked against them and they won out. Mad props.

conversely, I’ve known many who started with a leg-up and never accomplished shit. 

And are still doing just fine. Many of them may actually be better off than those who worked hard and made something of themselves. 

Iamak47
Freshman Silent
5.1.6  Iamak47  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.1.5    5 years ago
Hence the disadvantage

I guess it’s all about perception then.  I’m thankful for the opportunities I’ve had, but most of all I’m thankful for the struggle that got me those opportunities.

No college degree, I know what hunger is, I slept in a horse stall for about 6 months because I couldn’t afford rent and worked 2 jobs for years. Don’t want to do any of that again, but it is part of who I am..... I know I can handle most anything life can throw at me at this stage.  

These days, I own several properties, got a very comfortable nest egg and will be able to retire early if I want......though I don’t know how that will go.  I love working.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.7  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.1.2    5 years ago
I never said it can't happen, but the system is heavily skewed towards those born into wealth, that is undeniable. 

Thats disingenuous at best.    True, those born into wealth have a leg up but many more people each year start something from nothing and rise up.     The system allows for that.   It happens regularly and often  but like I said, it takes hard work.     Free shit rarely works as well.

What are you talking about? Our president has lived his entire life on handouts and he's the president.

What are you talking about?    Like usual, it drifts to Trump.   Y’all work on that TDS now ya hear?

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.2  KDMichigan  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5    5 years ago
What we know is that rich folks with dip shit kids will bribe their dunces into college.

What we know is that two women who attend Not my President rallies and wear vagina hats think they are better than everyone else and that their kids are entitled to go to whatever school they can bribe them in.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.2.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  KDMichigan @5.2    5 years ago

Rich people with dip shit kids bribe their kids to "success" while everyone one else has to, you know, work. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7  Jeremy Retired in NC    5 years ago

So people are looking at felony charges.  What is going to be done for those kids who should have filled those seats?

Iamak47
Freshman Silent
7.1  Iamak47  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @7    5 years ago
What is going to be done for those kids who should have filled those seats?

Hopefully they ended up going to a school that doesn’t have corrupt admissions procedures.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Iamak47 @7.1    5 years ago

Hopefully.

This whole thing diminishes the whole "prestigious" claim many of these colleges like to claim.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
8  The Magic 8 Ball    5 years ago
What We Know So Far In The College Admissions Cheating Scandal

the liberal elite stole college entry away from deserving minorities.

go figure... LOL