╌>

Eggs Are Bad Again: Study

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  27 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The research results come after federal dietary guidelines in recent years reversed their warnings about eggs and cholesterol.

By  Alexa Lardieri , Staff Writer, USnews and World Report, March 15, 2019,

Egg yolks are one of the richest sources of cholesterol among commonly-consumed foods. One large egg yolk has 186 milligrams of cholesterol. (TALI AIONA/EYEEM/GETTY IMAGES)

A NEW STUDY THREATENS   to once again reverse the conventional wisdom about eggs and their place in a healthy diet, finding that people who consume more of the beloved breakfast food had an increased risk of cardiovascular disease and death.

Research results   from the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine found that adults who eat more eggs and dietary cholesterol have a significantly higher risk of heart disease and death from any cause.

That conclusion is generally consistent with decades of warnings to limit intake of eggs – advice that was suddenly reversed in the   2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans , which no longer limited how much dietary cholesterol people should consume.

The 2010 Dietary Guidelines advised people to limit cholesterol intake to 300 milligrams per day. That instruction was not included in the latest version of the guidelines, which did note that "this change does not suggest that dietary cholesterol is no longer important to consider."

Eggs, especially egg yolks, are high in dietary cholesterol.

Researchers in the Northwestern study found that eating 300 milligrams of cholesterol per day was associated with a 17 percent higher risk of heart disease and an 18 percent higher risk of all-cause deaths. Additional results showed that eating three to four eggs a week was associated with a 6 percent higher risk of heart disease and an 8 percent higher risk of all-cause death.

The report said egg yolks are one of the richest sources of cholesterol among commonly consumed foods. One large egg yolk has 186 milligrams of cholesterol.

"Individuals should eat as little dietary cholesterol as possible while consuming a healthy eating pattern," the guidelines state. "In general, foods that are higher in dietary cholesterol, such as fatty meats and high-fat dairy products, are also higher in saturated fats."

The authors even suggest that the most recent version of the federal dietary guidelines, in which eating eggs is still recommended, may need to be re-evaluated in light of their study's findings.

Although previous studies on egg consumption found that eggs did not increase the risk of heart disease, the studies did not have a diverse sample and were short-term studies that did not adjust for other parts of the diet, Norrina Allen, co-author and associate professor of preventive medicine,   said in a press release .

In the Northwestern study, researchers were able to compare two people who otherwise had the same diet, but one of whom consumed more eggs.

"Our study showed if two people had exact same diet and the only difference in diet was eggs, then you could directly measure the effect of the egg consumption on heart disease," Allen said. "We found cholesterol, regardless of the source, was associated with an increased risk of heart disease."

Based on the findings, researchers advise that people eat fewer eggs, but they do not have to cut them out completely. Eggs contain other nutrients important to a healthy diet, such as iron and amino acids.

"We want to remind people there is cholesterol in eggs, specifically yolks, and this has a harmful effect," Allen said. "Eat them in moderation."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

I'M MAD AS HELL  AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANY MORE!!!

Eggs are okay, then they're NOT okay, then they're okay again, then they're NO LONGER OKAY.  It's enough to drive a person nuts.

I LOVE eggs.  I eat 2 to 3 eggs almost every day - scrambled, omelettes, sunny side up, soft boiled, egg salad sandwiches, mixed with tuna fish, hard boiled....   I don't care so much for the white, but I love the yolks. 

If we listen to those damn nutritional scientists we would be eating nothing but oatmeal and water every day.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
1.2  Cerenkov  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

They can have my eggs when they pry them from my cold dead fingers.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Cerenkov @1.2    5 years ago

Absolutely, Charlton.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago
oatmeal

Nope.  Oatmeal is a carb.  We couldn't have that, either.

I don't eat eggs every day, but I don't purposely avoid them, either.  When I did strictly limit them (and cheese, ice cream, etc.), my LDL barely budged downward, so I figure what's the point?

Eggs are a good source of nutrients like protein and vitamin B12, and they taste good and are versatile.  So I'm going to keep eating eggs, and everything else in moderation, too.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.3    5 years ago

I guess I should have said broccoli and water - I was thinking of prison fare.  Actually I don't mind broccoli.

As for continuing to eat them - me too.  I take pills to keep cholesteral in line.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.3.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3.1    5 years ago

I like broccoli, too.  It was my weirdest pregnancy craving.  Couldn't get enough of the stuff.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.3.2    5 years ago

I thought I was unusual because I actually like broccoli, spinach and Brussels sprouts.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.3.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3.3    5 years ago

I like all of those.  I like most vegetables, really.  My mom said she took me to the doctor when I was a baby, sure I was jaundiced.  The doctor just laughed and asked how many jars of carrots and squash I was eating, and she told him that was pretty much all I wanted.  It made my skin turn orange-ish.  My grandma had a big vegetable tray for every family gathering, and jokingly said it was for me, because I usually camped out next to the veggie tray and snacked from it all evening.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.4  KDMichigan  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago
I'M MAD AS HELL 

All I have to say is have you try these?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.4.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  KDMichigan @1.4    5 years ago

I think I just drooled on my shirt.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.4.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  KDMichigan @1.4    5 years ago

I'd love it, all except the peppers. I can't eat really spicy food, and the ironic thing is that I live in what could be the Spicy Food Capital of the World - Chongqing. If I accidentally eat something really spicy, it makes me choke - I can hardly breathe for a while.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.4.3  KDMichigan  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.4.1    5 years ago
I think I just drooled on my shirt.

I have made it enough that I put my own twist on it.

I'm always a hit at the bring a dish to pass gatherings.

They are not that spicy and I use my home grown Habaneros in the fall.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.4.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  KDMichigan @1.4.3    5 years ago

Habaneros are a bit spicy for me, but I imagine that the egg yolk and the mayo would cool the spice down a bit.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3  Hal A. Lujah    5 years ago

Everything is fine in moderation, IMO.  My breakfast five days a week is fruits, vegetables, and a little dairy.  On weekends it’s eggs.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3    5 years ago

You're too damned healthy!!!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5  Jasper2529    5 years ago

The pendulum swings 180 again, and it's time vilify the incredible, edible egg once more!

Here are some points from another article:

• The study findings are observational and cannot establish cause and effect .
  • She [  Norrina B. Allen, the lead author of the new study and an associate professor of epidemiology at Northwestern] noted that not all people are affected in the same way by dietary cholesterol, and that the relationship between the amount of cholesterol consumed and the amount in the blood is complex and varies from person to person, depending on metabolic and genetic factors. Some people can eat a lot of eggs and little of the cholesterol goes into the blood. “Our study examined dietary cholesterol at the population level,” she said, “but for individuals there will be a lot more variation in the relationship between dietary cholesterol and heart disease.”
  • The study has limitations. The data depended on self-reports about what people ate , which are not always reliable, and the analyzed studies used varying methods for collecting the diet information.

Everything in moderation, folks!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jasper2529 @5    5 years ago

Good news at last.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6  It Is ME    5 years ago

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

I do runny Yolks between two pieces of "REAL" Buttered Toast !

Best Sandwich EVER !

Studies be damned. I'm gonna enjoy life while I'm here ! jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  It Is ME @6    5 years ago

Your my hero!  LOL

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    5 years ago

I believe these studies that get published in the popular media do more harm than good. They probably inspire more stress than health.

They almost always present some correlation without causation, as is the case here. The studies are also often very flawed or limited in some way that doesn't make it into the headlines or the article. Often the writer of the article really doesn't know anything about the science or how to properly analyze the study. Unfortunately, people see the headline and think "oh! I have to throw out all my eggs!"

For decades, nutritionists told us that consuming fat made people fat. Sounds logical, but they now realize that consuming excess calories, sugar and carbs has more to do with making people fat than just consuming fat. In fact, it was right around the time that they started telling us to eat less fat, that people's bodies starting getting more fat, in part because people stopped eating eggs, meat, cheese, and cream, and they started eating more bread, rice, and sugar. That's what the body stores as fat.

Furthermore, consuming the right fats is actually good for you and some fats - like saturated fats - that they thought were bad, turn out to be healthy.

How much cholesterol a person has in their blood is more about genetics than diet. On average, 75% of the cholesterol in a person's blood is made in the liver. How much varies among individuals. Several people in my family with great diets, active lifestyles and ideal weight still have high cholesterol. I have friends who eat worse than me and are more overweight but have way better numbers than I do. I actually lowered my cholesterol - a lot - by consuming more fat, beef, and eggs, and consuming less carbs and sugar.

Also, the cause and effect relationship between cholesterol and heart disease is not as clear as they would have us believe. Many people with great cholesterol numbers still have heart attacks. Many people with "high" cholesterol have perfectly healthy hearts. 

We're all going to die of something anyway.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @7    5 years ago

Yes.  I WAS stressed when I read that article. You can tell from my response.

You and Jasper make more common sense to me.