╌>

President Trump Says 'I Don't Trust Some Computer to Drive Me Around' According to New Report

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  50 comments

President Trump Says 'I Don't Trust Some Computer to Drive Me Around' According to New Report
‘Can you imagine, you’re sitting in the back seat and all of a sudden this car is zig-zagging around the corner and you can’t stop the [fucking] thing?’”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A whopping 71 percent of Americans don’t trust autonomous cars to drive them around, according to a new survey by AAA . And it looks like the most famous man in America stands with the 71 percent. President Donald Trump has said, “I don’t trust some computer to drive me around,” according to a new report from Axios .

President Trump has repeatedly claimed to know more about technology than any of the experts. And yet, strangely, he’s never really used a computer . Now we know more about why Trump shies away from computers in the real world: He doesn’t trust the “fucking things.”

Axios has four sources who claim that Trump sometimes physically acts out what it would look like if an autonomous vehicle lost control:

“You know when he’s telling a story, and he does the hand motions,” said a source who has heard Trump talk about hypothetical accidents involving self-driving cars. “He says, ‘Can you imagine, you’re sitting in the back seat and all of a sudden this car is zig-zagging around the corner and you can’t stop the [fucking] thing?’”

President Trump also reportedly says that driverless cars will “never work” despite the fact that the Trump regime has tried to fast-track the adoption of autonomous vehicles through the Department of Transportation. The president even told Elon Musk about his fear of autonomous vehicles during their White House meeting in February of 2017 , according to Axios.

Despite his fear of some technology, the president still loves his social media. Trump spent the weekend tweeting about things that were on Fox News, including a wildly misinformed tangent about how Google is helping the Chinese government but not the U.S. government. In reality, Google provides a tremendous amount of support for the U.S. government and always has.

Trump even spent Sunday making threats of starting a federal investigation into Saturday Night Live for making fun of him. Bizarrely, SNL was a rerun this week.

“It’s truly incredible that shows like Saturday Night Live, not funny/no talent, can spend all of their time knocking the same person (me), over & over, without so much of a mention of ‘the other side,’” the president wrote.

“Like an advertisement without consequences. Same with Late Night Shows. Should Federal Election Commission and/or FCC look into this?” President Trump continued. “There must be Collusion with the Democrats and, of course, Russia! Such one sided media coverage, most of it Fake News. Hard to believe I won and am winning. Approval Rating 52%, 93% with Republicans. Sorry! #MAGA

President Trump also spent the weekend ignoring the biggest news story in the world, the massacre in New Zealand that left 50 people dead and dozens more injured. The white supremacist shooter, a 28-year-old from Australia, explicitly cited President Trump as a “symbol of renewed white identity.” And yet Trump has said that there hasn’t been an increased threat of white nationalism around the world calling it , “a small group of people that have very, very serious problems.”

Trump’s lackeys even took to the Sunday political talk shows to defend America’s top white supremacist with bullshit that anyone who’s been paying attention knows is false.

“I don’t think anybody can say the President is anti-Muslim,” acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney said on Face the Nation yesterday .

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago
A whopping 71 percent of Americans don’t trust autonomous cars to drive them around, according to a new survey by AAA .

I'm sure they work, but there will be accidents. Whose fault will the accident be, the owner of the driverless car, or the designer? How can someone who is not operating the car but simply bought it and uses it be responsible for what it does? Isn't the programmer responsible for malfunctions?

As far as Trump goes, he probably doesn't realize that he trusts computers with his life already, every time he flies.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

Even funnier, he doesn't like to use stairs, preferring elevators and escalators.

But that may be a different issue, lol.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

I wonder how many times AF1 has used autopilot or 'autoland'?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @1.2    5 years ago

I didn't think those big jets had auto-land?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.2.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Split Personality @1.2    5 years ago

More often than you would think....... Pilots hate it though.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.2.3  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.1    5 years ago

Oh yeah they do!  In fact they will do a better job of line-up, landing than most pilots. 

The rougher the weather....more auto the better....

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Sparty On  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.2.3    5 years ago

Which brings us to "fly by wire." 

Many modern aircraft would fall out of the sky without it.  

Especially high performance military aircraft

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    5 years ago

I would imagine there are probably a lot of people who share that sentiment. However, I bet a lot of them won't admit it because then they'd actually have to agree with Trump on something. He may have just spurred enthusiasm for the technology. Maybe it's reverse psychology.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tacos! @2    5 years ago

Ok...I'm admitting it. I'm not too crazy about automated cars, either.

But I've flown in plenty of jets that have auto-pilot. It's my phobia and I have to deal with it

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1    5 years ago

I will admit it, just because I would rather drive. I hate being a passenger on a long boring trip.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @2.1.1    5 years ago

I'm good with being a passenger because I sleep

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.1.3  katrix  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.2    5 years ago

That's another thing, if you're the "driver" of a self-driving car, you're supposed to pay attention so you can take over if necessary.  I don't see that happening.  If you're not driving, you're going to lose focus ... or figure you can get drunk ... or make out ... or watch the built-in DVD or play on your phone ... or whatever.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  katrix @2.1.3    5 years ago
If you're not driving, you're going to lose focus

Yeah no shit.   Look how many are distracted right now.   Look to your right, look to your left.   Chances are both of them are distracted by their phone or something else.   In that regard i can see the point to self driving cars.    People ARE distracted big time these days when driving.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  katrix @2.1.3    5 years ago

Well, shoot....if I can't take a nap then I see no point in having a self driving car

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.1.6  katrix  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.4    5 years ago

The other day I saw a woman putting on her mascara while driving.  Staring closely in her rear view mirror .. with her eyes in that funny position we put them in while applying mascara.  No way could she really see.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  katrix @2.1.6    5 years ago
The other day I saw a woman putting on her mascara while driving.

Happens a lot.    And they crash a lot.   Ask any road patrol LEO.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @2    5 years ago

My position has always been the same, can they possibly be worse than human drivers? 

evilone
Professor Guide
3  evilone    5 years ago

There is a much larger chance you'll pass a self driving long-distance truck hauling freight, long before we see too many self driving cars.

Here's an interesting article in the WSJ from last year -

Self-Driving Technology Threatens Nearly 300,000 Trucking Jobs, Report Says -

Autonomous driving technology could replace some 294,000 long-distance truck drivers over the next 25 years...  The changes would likely eliminate some of the best-paid positions held by the more than 2 million heavy-duty truck drivers in the U.S.

Also, the first self driving cars will probably be owned/operated by companies like Uber and Lyft. Not so much sold to Soccer Mom Suzie. 

From the Washington Post last Dec - 

Nine months after one of its self-driving cars misidentified and killed a pedestrian in Arizona, Uber said it began testing on public roads in Pittsburgh again Thursday and is preparing to do the same in San Francisco and Toronto.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1  Split Personality  replied to  evilone @3    5 years ago

Funny how some people go nuts over all of the problems of homelessness in SF,

but run ONE homeless person  over with a driver-less car, and their  innocent lives are as valuable as their weight in gold. /s

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @3    5 years ago

Good! Then maybe they'll stay in their own lanes and won't have to drive 85 mph to get to where they need to go

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2    5 years ago

On I-10 people think that is the speed limit. I will admit, myself included.

I looked down one day and was going 90. A car still passed me.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2    5 years ago
Good! Then maybe they'll stay in their own lanes and won't have to drive 85 mph to get to where they need to go

I'll be happy if it just gets rid of all those idiots that don't understand that green means go, not wait for 60 seconds then be the only car to get through the intersection.

avatars-000195394888-nwepgy-t500x500.jpg

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ozzwald @3.2.2    5 years ago

Ozz, I love you, Man, but I think we are about to have our first disagreement.

Go means go only when it's safe to go. Somebody could run a red light. You could block an intersection and piss off a laughing fish.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.3    5 years ago
Go means go only when it's safe to go. Somebody could run a red light. You could block an intersection and piss off a laughing fish.

I agree, but toooo many people don't pay attention and end up sitting through 90% of the green light.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ozzwald @3.2.4    5 years ago

I apologize for all the brain dead fish driving cars out there.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2.6  Ozzwald  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.5    5 years ago
I apologize for all the brain dead fish driving cars out there.

dory_a_l.jpg

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.3  FLYNAVY1  replied to  evilone @3    5 years ago

The key element that will drive self driving long-haul and taxi service will be 5G wireless technology.  Vehicles in close proximity to each other will be talking to one another.  We are not talking 25 years either.  We will start seeing large scale autonomous vehicles in about 4-5 years.

I've worked with both vehicle control and telecom companies in the last seven years.  This stuff is coming way faster than anybody knows.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.3.1  evilone  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.3    5 years ago
The key element that will drive self driving long-haul and taxi service will be 5G wireless technology.

Have you seen the FCC has approved auctioning wireless spectrum that NOAA and NASA say may interfere with critical weather data? They claim it -

is an important step towards securing American leadership in 5G.

(smh)

I've worked with both vehicle control and telecom companies in the last seven years.  This stuff is coming way faster than anybody knows.

Oh, I expect to see Trump to start tweeting about how it's his idea by early 2020.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.3.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  evilone @3.3.1    5 years ago

Have you seen the FCC has approved auctioning wireless spectrum that NOAA and NASA say may interfere with critical weather data? They claim it

No, but you've given me something to learn about..... Thanks.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5  TᵢG    5 years ago

It will take a while for people to get used to this since we are talking about life and death events that are under the control of an automaton.   The technology is already better than a human driver and it will only improve.   But it is very understandable that human beings who grew up in a time of dumb, utilitarian functionality such as black and white television, corded phones, etc. would be suspicious of intelligent machines.   But note that we did make the leap from human-controlled elevators to fully automated elevators.

This is generational.   The Trumps of the world will go the way of the dinosaurs and future generations will be aghast at the idea of everyday human beings getting behind the wheel of a vehicle en masse as we see today.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @5    5 years ago
The technology is already better than a human driver and it will only improve. 

Intellectually, I know that....but emotionally......

I know I will be safer in a car that drives itself. I know that.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1    5 years ago

Even if I had a chance to review the engineering specs, I would be nervous riding in an autonomous vehicle on the open road.   I have no concerns about trams on their own tracks, but an automaton freely interacting with us crazy humans without guard rails, etc. is a lot to consider.   I would have little concern that the automaton would screw up under normal conditions, but I am not convinced the technology is sufficiently robust to deal with all the conditions introduced by crazy drivers (and there are many of them).

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5.1.2  katrix  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.1    5 years ago

I work with a cybersecurity team.  Self-driving cars WILL be hacked.

No, thank you.

But ... I realize fewer people will be killed by self-driving cars than by all the human error and idiocy.  Like Trout Giggles, I know that ... but I still love to drive, and I would have a very hard time trusting a self-driving car.  Of course, there are a lot of people I won't ride with, either.  If you tailgate, for example - that's the last time I'm getting in your car.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.2  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @5    5 years ago

Cars are now coming equipped with the lane drift technology. They now have the blindspot light to warn of other vehicles. The auto braking freaked me out.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  Ender @5.2    5 years ago

I know.   We just bought a 2019 Audi A6.   Love the technology!   Keeps getting better.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @5.2    5 years ago

With the lane drift tech that makes the automated car a lot safer. Now if everybody gets on the road in an auto-car, no more 5 car pile ups on I-40

Ender
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @5.2.1    5 years ago

I don't have one with the technology yet, still old school. 

I love the camera equip and monitor though. Can see everything behind you and around you.

Love the Audi. Now I am jealous.

Most cars are now keyless too. Just need a fob near by.

I swear, auto repair is going to become an art form.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5.2.4  katrix  replied to  Ender @5.2.3    5 years ago
I love the camera equip and monitor though. Can see everything behind you and around you.

A person in my town sideswiped another car and tried to tell her insurance company that it was a hit and run done to her car while she was parked.

Oops.  The backup camera came on at impact and clearly showed that she was the one who did the hitting and running.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.2.5  Ender  replied to  katrix @5.2.4    5 years ago

Haha

The technology givith and the technology taketh away.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.3  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @5    5 years ago

Yep and some States still don't trust people to pump their own gas ..... jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

It's gotta come a long way before i trust a computer over my driving skills so right now, if and when the day comes that i can't drive my own vehicle, i'll be done driving/riding in them.

Feel free to call me a dinosaur since that DNA is burned hard into my EPROM.

Likely not gonna change.

Thats okay though because when that day comes, i'll probably be drooling on myself and running my golf cart into sandtraps and ponds

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5.3.1  katrix  replied to  Sparty On @5.3    5 years ago
Thats okay though because when that day comes, i'll probably be drooling on myself and running my golf cart into sandtraps and ponds

Heh.  A friend of mine moved to Florida and spent $15k on a golf cart.  I assume that thing must have a/c and probably a beer cooler, for that much money. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.3.2  Sparty On  replied to  katrix @5.3.1    5 years ago

They get pretty tricked out.   In some complexes you don't even need a car.

I'm gonna put a Hemi in mine ....... jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5.3.3  katrix  replied to  Sparty On @5.3.2    5 years ago

That would be hilarious to see.  Remind me not to move to whatever retirement community you end up in, though!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.3.4  Sparty On  replied to  katrix @5.3.3    5 years ago

Just buy stock in golf cart tires ..... you'll be good to go.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6  Thrawn 31    5 years ago
Can you imagine, you’re sitting in the back seat and all of a sudden this car is zig-zagging around the corner and you can’t stop the [fucking] thing

Can you imagine, that virtually every. single. modern luxury that you enjoy is run by computers? Who do you think does most of the work when it comes to the electricity grid? When you do your flying, who do you think it is piloting the plane 95% of the time? Computers already run almost every aspect of our lives. As a society, we can no longer function without them. How in the fuck does dip shit think he is allowed to tweet?