╌>

GOP Sen. Johnny Isakson Slams Trump's 'Deplorable' Attacks On McCain

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  164 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

710c91c0-4b9c-11e7-8912-374be9390b1b_H-1   Hayley Miller, HuffPost   16 hours ago  

This iframe is not allowed

Sen.   Johnny Isakson  of Georgia, breaking with a silence adopted by virtually all of his GOP colleagues, tore into President  Donald Trump  for his recent attacks on the late Sen.   John McCain  nearly seven months after the Arizona Republican’s death.

In an interview published Wednesday in   The Bulwark , a news outlet recently established by conservative critics of Trump, Isakson said “America deserves better” than the president’s persistent assaults on McCain.

“I just want to lay it on the line, that the country deserves better, the McCain family deserves better,” he told the website. “I don’t care if he’s president of United States, owns all the real estate in New York, or is building the greatest immigration system in the world. Nothing is more important than the integrity of the country and those who fought and risked their lives for all of us.”

He also said McCain “was better than I am, and I know it. John was the best of my generation. John McCain was and is a great human being.”

Isakson, chairman of the Senate Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, doubled down on his criticism of Trump in an interview with Georgia Public Broadcasting’s   “Political Rewind” program , calling the president’s recent attacks on McCain “deplorable.”

“You may be a Republican, you may be a Democrat ― we’re all Americans,” Isakson said. “We should never reduce the service that [veterans] give to this country.”

Asked during the radio interview if he believes Trump is unstable, Isakson skirted a direct answer, saying he respects the office of the presidency “no matter who’s in it.”

0f20b98ccd1c4fe9fdb4e28f51853066

Trump, after a series of   weekend tweets assailing McCain,  on Tuesday told reporters he was “never a fan” of McCain, who died last August after battling brain cancer. The president slammed the lawmaker for helping to kill a GOP bill to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act in July 2017.

“I think that’s disgraceful,” Trump said ahead of a joint press conference at the White House with far-right Brazilian President   Jair Bolsonaro.  “Plus, there are other things. I was never a fan of John McCain and never will be.”

And Trump could not resist revisiting the subject on Wednesday. In a speech at a tank plant in Lima, Ohio, Trump complained that he gave McCain “the kind of funeral that he wanted,” but “didn’t get a thank you.”

According to Politico , Trump in Ohio reiterated that “I’ve never liked him much.” His comments received a cool reception, Politico reported.

As part of various tributes to McCain, his coffin lay in state at the U.S. Capitol, and his main funeral service was conducted at Washington’s National Cathedral. It was unclear what Trump was referring to in his comment about McCain’s funeral.

The president was pointedly not invited ― per McCain’s instructions ― to the gathering at the National Cathedral. Those delivering eulogies there included former Presidents George W. Bush and   Barack Obama .

Trump and McCain had several public spats before the senator died. Trump in 2015 infamously mocked McCain’s five-year internment as a prisoner of war during the Vietnam War, saying that because he was “captured” he wasn’t “a war hero.”

Trump avoided military service as a young man during the Vietnam War era. When he was draft-eligible, he received deferments because a doctor diagnosed him with bone spurs in his feet.

Nothing is more important than the integrity of the country and those who fought and risked their lives for all of us.   Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.)

The president revived his attacks on McCain when he tweeted on Saturday that the decorated Navy veteran’s legacy was stained by his vote against repealing and replacing Obamacare. Trump also falsely accused McCain in a Saturday tweet of “spreading” the infamous Steele dossier, which alleges Russian blackmail against Trump, to the media. He also mocked the late senator’s academic record from when he was a student years ago at the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland.

Meghan McCain, a co-host of ABC’s “The View” and a daughter of the late senator, defended her father against Trump’s attacks on Saturday.

“No one will ever love you the way they loved my father,” she tweeted. “I wish I had been given more [Saturdays] with him. Maybe spend yours with your family instead of on twitter obsessing over mine?”

But few Republican lawmakers have responded by directly challenging Trump’s jabs at the late senator. McCain’s close friend, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), became a target of ridicule for a tepid response to Trump’s weekend tweets that did not specifically call out the president.

“As to [McCain] and his devotion to his country: He stepped forward to risk his life for his country, served honorably under difficult circumstances, and was one of the most consequential senators in the history the body,” Graham tweeted on Sunday. “Nothing about his service will ever be changed or diminished.”

This iframe is not allowed This iframe is not allowed

Graham, up for re-election in 2020, has transformed from a staunch Trump critic into one of the president’s loudest cheerleaders since McCain’s death.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) ― who has been crucial to pushing Trump’s agenda through Congress ― defended McCain’s legacy on Twitter an hour before Isakson’s radio interview Wednesday. But, like Graham, he not directly take issue with Trump’s attacks.

“It was a blessing to serve alongside a rare patriot and genuine American hero in the Senate,” McConnell tweeted. 

This iframe is not allowed

Following McCain’s death last year, Isakson berated Trump from the Senate floor when the flag at the White House only remained at half staff for only a day. The White House later lowered the flag again to half staff until the end of the various funeral services for McCain.

“Anybody who in any way tarnishes the reputation of John McCain deserves a whipping,” Isakson said then, “because most of those who would do the wrong thing about John McCain didn’t have the guts to do the right thing when it was their turn.” 

This story has been updated with Trump’s Wednesday comments on McCain.

• This article originally appeared on   HuffPost .

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're stiff
Kick 'em all around

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

The video of the memorial for J-Mac of past and present Oval Office holders sitting in close proximity spoke volumes.  Those with civility and class, and one without.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

STFU Scumbag Rump!

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago
“Anybody who in any way tarnishes the reputation of John McCain deserves a whipping,” Isakson said then, “because most of those who would do the wrong thing about John McCain didn’t have the guts to do the right thing when it was their turn.” 

And there you go, hit the nail on the head. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     5 years ago
Why wasn't John Mccain elected president did you vote for him when he ran?I never supported him because he was a war monger.  

Obama did not attack him personally nor his military service. Only Trump is low enough to do that. There were reasons to vote against McCain, none of them involve his personal courage or service to this country. PERIOD.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Kavika @5    5 years ago
'Obama did not attack him personally nor his military service. Only Trump is low enough to do that. There were reasons to vote against McCain, none of them involve his personal courage or service to this country. PERIOD.'

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    5 years ago

Isakson, a day late and a dollar short.  Then again, he was always that.

Whatever it was the GOP had morally or ethically, they threw it away with the Trump.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
7  Rmando    5 years ago

Trump must be some kind of master manipulator. All he does is wave some shiny object in front of his enemies and they run around in circles for days chasing their tales.

If this is the most pressing news of day then it must've been a slow week.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
7.1  katrix  replied to  Rmando @7    5 years ago

There was a lot of pressing news on Sunday, such as the mass killing in New Zealand, but Trump thought that insulting a dead hero was more important.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
7.1.1  Rmando  replied to  katrix @7.1    5 years ago

The shootings actually happened last Friday, but to your point- the left seems a lot more interested in what Trump and George Conway have to say instead of what happened in New Zealand.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
7.1.2  cjcold  replied to  katrix @7.1    5 years ago

Every day is a new low for Trump.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
7.1.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  cjcold @7.1.2    5 years ago

Hey, that suggests a new moniker for him:  "New-Low-Daily Scumbag"

Junior Participates
7.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Rmando @7    5 years ago
All he does is wave some shiny object in front of his enemies and they run around in circles for days chasing their tales [sic].

By enemies do you mean Johnny Isak who called him deplorable?  Funny how that word keeps cropping up from so many disparate sources about your Scumbag. 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
7.2.1  Rmando  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @7.2    5 years ago

Trump has many enemies in both parties. That's what happens when the establishment/ swamp gets challenged. They fight to keep the status quo where they're firmly on top and everybody else just takes their orders and likes it or else.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
7.2.2  cjcold  replied to  Rmando @7.2.1    5 years ago

Used to take orders but not so much anymore. Trump IS the swamp he warned us about.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  cjcold @7.2.2    5 years ago

and he keeps throwing more trash in that swamp every day

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    5 years ago

God, this story is everywhere! I tend to disagree with Trump's criticisms of McCain, but I can't believe the contrived feverish moral outrage over all this. People who, for years, hated John McCain or criticized him enthusiastically suddenly rush to his defense because the evil Trump is the one doing the criticizing now.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @8    5 years ago

There's no 'contrived feverish moral outrage'.  People are just commenting on the turd in chief's petty deplorable self.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to    5 years ago

Got a link for that?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.2    5 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1.4  Krishna  replied to    5 years ago
A consensus of 97% of Americans don't care what Trump says, about McCain or anyone else.

Link?

Junior Participates
8.1.5  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.2    5 years ago
Got a link for that?

Gee, another magic disappearing act from one of these "types."  It's a feature, not a bug. 

Junior Participates
8.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Tacos! @8    5 years ago
I tend to disagree with Trump's criticisms of McCain,

Wow, that is some courageous stand....kinda, sorta. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.3.2  Tacos!  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @8.3    5 years ago

I'm not trying to impress you or anyone else with my courage. It's simply a fact. Must everything be a fight?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.3.3  cjcold  replied to  Tacos! @8.3.2    5 years ago

This liberal had lots of respect for McCain sticking to his guns and voting his conscience.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.3.4  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @8.3.3    5 years ago

Even when we disagreed I still enjoyed listening to his argument.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.3.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @8.3.2    5 years ago

[Removed]

Junior Participates
8.3.6  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Tacos! @8.3.2    5 years ago
I'm not trying to impress you or anyone else with my courage.

Well, that's very wise of you.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
9  pat wilson    5 years ago

I knew he was a genuine, good man when at a campaign rally a nut-case woman asked McCain if Obama was an Arab. McCain took the mike away from her and said, "no mam, Barak Obama is a good, christian, family man". He literally shut her up.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
10  luther28    5 years ago

I would have to ask, where are the other 51 GOP Senators? Or perhaps a few GOP Reps may have a bit to say (or not it would appear).

This was a moment in which the GOP had an opportunity to grow a spine as a whole by denouncing enmasse Mr. Trumps berating of an American hero, they have failed miserably. Cowards!

Junior Participates
10.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  luther28 @10    5 years ago
I would have to ask, where are the other 51 GOP Senators? Or perhaps a few GOP Reps may have a bit to say (or not it would appear).

The silence of Lindsay Graham is a deafening condemnation of his abject cowardice and complete lack of even a shred of decency.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
10.1.1  livefreeordie  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @10.1    5 years ago

John McCain was no conservative which is why I voted 3rd Party instead of voting for him in 2008. I call for him to retire from the Senate for over 20 years so an actual conservative could fill that Senate seat.

I’m glad he’s no longer damaging our country with his obsession of trying to please his leftist friends 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  livefreeordie @10.1.1    5 years ago

He's dead.  Move along pastor.

What pastor would condemn and call an honorable man like Mr. McCain a leftist boot lickerand kick a dead man repeatedly and besmirch his honor?

Junior Participates
10.1.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  livefreeordie @10.1.1    5 years ago

No one here gives a rat's ass who you voted for or why.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @10.1.3    5 years ago

If no one cares, why comment on it?

Junior Participates
10.1.5  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @10.1.4    5 years ago
If no one cares, why comment on it?

You're commenting on it.  Golly, Tex.  Not that I mind but you don't  have to make it so easy for me.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @10.1.5    5 years ago
You're commenting on it. Golly, Tex. Not that I mind but you don't have to make it so easy for me.

reading comprehension could be your friend, if utilized.

I didn't comment on who he voted for--I commented on your rather inane post claiming no gave a rat's ass how he voted, and yet you felt compelled to comment on it when you don't give a rat's ass about it.

Junior Participates
10.1.7  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @10.1.6    5 years ago
reading comprehension could be your friend, if utilized.

Some ability to recognize context might work for you, too.  You decided to comment on a comment  which was not about you asking why I would comment.  That is the definition of going mega "meta."  I do love it when you resort so quickly to your trademark snark so I can slap that down, too.  Like I said...you don't have to make it so easy. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @10.1.7    5 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Junior Participates
10.1.9  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @10.1.8    5 years ago

Great response.   It's some indication that you actually might have a speck of self-awareness after all.  But it does tell us also that you don't have a clue what "meta" means.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @10.1.9    5 years ago
Great response.

It was, and so appropriate, too!

Thanks!

Junior Participates
10.1.11  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @10.1.10    5 years ago
It was, and so appropriate, too! Thanks!

[Removed

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @10.1.11    5 years ago
It was, and so appropriate, too! Thanks!

That may qualify as your best post ever. Congrats!

Junior Participates
11  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    5 years ago

I've gone back over all you comments on this page and here's all I can find that barely comes close (yet  still misses by miles) to expressing the idea of Scumbag being held accountable for his scumbaggery. 

I tend to disagree with Trump's criticisms of McCain 8 [btw, none of Scumbag's comments fall into a category of criticism;  they are personal attacks on McCain's character and his life in general]
I think Trump is wrong on most of them.  8.2.4 [this is what earned the "nampy-pamby" award for what you claimed was criticism of Scumbag]

You case for  being any kind of critic of Scumbag is built on quicksand of your own making. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11.1  Tacos!  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @11    5 years ago

Your thought process on this is clear. If I don't agree with you 100% then it means I worship Donald Trump. Sorry, but I see a little more gray in the world. Good day to you sir.

Junior Participates
11.1.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Tacos! @11.1    5 years ago
If I don't agree with you 100% then it means I worship Donald Trump.

You indict yourself with you own words, time and time again.  And I thank you for it.