╌>

Thomas Jefferson to Danbury Baptist Association

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  flynavy1  •  5 years ago  •  48 comments

Thomas Jefferson to Danbury Baptist Association
"...separation between Church and State."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Messrs. Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, and Stephen s. Nelson

A Committee of the Danbury Baptist Association, in the State of Connecticut.

Washington, January 1, 1802

Gentlemen,–The affectionate sentiment of esteem and approbation which you
are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist Association,
give me the highest satisfaction. My duties dictate a faithful and zealous
pursuit of the interests of my constituents, and in proportion as they are
persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more
and more pleasing.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man
and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship,
that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions,
I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people
which declared that their legislature would “make no law respecting an establishment
of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,” thus building a wall
of separation between Church and State. Adhering to this expression of the
supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall
see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend
to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right
in opposition to his social duties.

I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection and blessing of the common
Father and Creator of man, and tender you for yourselves and your religious
association, assurances of my high respect and esteem.

Th Jefferson
Jan. 1. 1802

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1  seeder  FLYNAVY1    5 years ago

I post this letter from T. Jefferson every once in awhile when I feel that the religious dogma in the country gets to the point where the holy think they know what the framers of the constitution intended for our country. 

Jefferson was quite clear about his wall of separation between Church and State. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1  Gordy327  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    5 years ago
Jefferson was quite clear about his wall of separation between Church and State. 

Absolutely he was. As was James Madison too. And yet, there are still those who think there is no separation in the constitution or that separation only works one way.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

Without a doubt he was. Sadly the Jeffersonia's of NT are unable to read or understand it. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Kavika @2    5 years ago

All I want to do is keep the religious fanatics from dumping a truckload of crap into the US Constitution.....  I find it useful to remind them from time to time.

Hope you're well Kavika.....  Nice here in Munich today.  Sunny, about 50F.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1    5 years ago

I'm doing fine FLY, hope you and your family are well. 

It's going to be in the mid 70's here today, and sunny.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago
Really? Can you tell us why you think so? And give us some examples?

Read the articles and comments. DUH

Does this wall apply to all types of religious expression, or just Christianity?

Per our constitution it applies to all religions expression...Carry on Wally, your 0 for 2.

charger 383
Professor Silent
4  charger 383    5 years ago

and there is the Treaty of Tripoli 

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen (Muslims); and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan (Mohammedan) nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1  Gordy327  replied to  charger 383 @4    5 years ago

There's also the Founding  Fathers themselves [emphasis mine]:

The United States of America have exhibited, perhaps, the first example of governments erected on the simple principles of nature; and if men are now sufficiently enlightened to disabuse themselves of artifice, imposture, hypocrisy, and superstition, they will consider this event as an era in their history. Although the detail of the formation of the American governments is at present little known or regarded either in Europe or in America, it may hereafter become an object of curiosity. It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of Heaven , more than those at work upon ships or houses, or laboring in merchandise or agriculture; it will forever be acknowledged that these governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses .”
~John Adams, “A Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America” 1787-1788

And in a Gov' of opinion, like ours, the only effectual guard must be found in the soundness and stability of the general opinion on the subject. Every new & successful example therefore of a perfect separation between ecclesiastical and civil matters, is of importance. And I have no doubt that every new example, will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Gov will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together …”--- [James Madison, Letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822, The Writings of James Madison, Gaillard Hunt]

The civil Government, though bereft of everything like an associated hierarchy, possesses the requisite stability, and performs its functions with complete success, whilst the number, the industry, and the morality of the priesthood, and the devotion of the people, have been manifestly increased by the total separation of the church from the State. ---- (James Madison, Letter to Robert Walsh, Mar. 2, 1819).

I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death . --- George Carlin jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Veronica
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Veronica  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1    5 years ago
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. --- George Carlin

Damn, I miss him.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  Veronica @4.1.1    5 years ago
Damn, I miss him.

Me too. he was awesome.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago
a wall of separation between Church and State

A vivid image. And yet, he is saying so in a friendly exchange with a religious group - while he was president. And he finishes his letter with this presidential acknowledgement of the reality of God (a God who he clearly believes is concerned with and intervenes in the lives of people) and an offer of prayer:

I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection and blessing of the common
Father and Creator of man

Today, some misguided people might see that offer of prayer as an unconstitutional endorsement of religion. Jefferson also knew that both houses of Congress had (and still have) official chaplains leading those bodies in prayer. So the notion that Jefferson believed government should be completely devoid of religion or religious faith is clearly in conflict with his own knowledge, beliefs, and actions. 

The tendency to try to use the "wall of separation" line as justification for sterilizing this country from religion or religious thought is misguided at best and, in my experience, usually disingenuous.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.1  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Tacos! @5    5 years ago

So the notion that Jefferson believed government should be completely devoid of religion or religious faith is clearly in conflict with his own knowledge, beliefs, and actions.

This indicates that Jefferson was able to put the people and the country ahead of himself.  Something I agree with through and through.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.2  Gordy327  replied to  Tacos! @5    5 years ago
The tendency to try to use the "wall of separation" line as justification for sterilizing this country from religion or religious thought is misguided at best and, in my experience, usually disingenuous.

The wall of separation is a simple enough concept. It doesn't prohibit religious thought or belief. Only from keeping religious belief from becoming political, legal, or public policy.  The 'wall" protects both from each other. Mr. Jefferson understood that quite well. A shame so many others do not.

Jefferson also knew that both houses of Congress had (and still have) official chaplains leading those bodies in prayer.

James Madison took issue with that.