╌>

Why Trump Will Lose IN 2020

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  125 comments

Why Trump Will Lose IN 2020
But here is the thing. Once Trump's unfitness for office became apparent to the previous Obama voters who went for him in Michigan and Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, once his bizarre and offensive performance as president became painfully obvious, those people left him in the mid terms, and they are not going back. 

He cheats. He lies. He steals. He acts with cruelty. He relishes hate. It’s still stunning to realize millions & millions knew all this & still they wanted him to lead our country. It’s stunning to realize millions & millions are watching this now & still want him in charge.

--------------

Trump will lose because more people realize the above is true than deny it is true. 

According to a Morning Consult poll, Trump's disapproval rating in Michigan is 55% now.  Michigan is arguably THE key state to Trump's re-election hopes. It's flipping from Obama in 2012 to Trump in 2016 was the bellweather for Trump's electoral victory. 

In the 2018 mid term elections, many people who had voted for Trump, particularly in the upper midwest states of Michigan and Wisconsin, and also in Pennsylvania, returned to supporting Democratic candidates , in defiance of Trump's expressed wishes. 

Trump's major and insurmountable problem is that his behavior , in the White House as president, has been so abhorrent and dysfunctional that it has turned off millions of people who voted for him in 2016. 

Although I have been largely critical of people who voted for Trump in the last presidential election, it is no doubt true that some of his supporters were not aware of Trump's history of dishonest, unethical, and shameful behavior, and chose him over the Democratic candidate because they wanted "change" and believed that Trump's material wealth meant that he was a good and decent man who knew how to get things done and had the background in business they wanted to see in their president. 

Now, it was well known before the 2016 election that Trump had an actual background of cheating, lying, bankruptcy, misogyny, but it seems that these facts did not seep down to a section of blue collar and middle class voters who developed faith and trust in Trump. 

So, unexpectedly, likely even to trump himself, he won. Just enough people in the "swing states" had chosen to cast their lot with the "disrupter". 

But then, after taking office and power, Trump began his incredible blizzard of lies, misinformation, often times nonsense, vindictiveness, bizarre tweets, and we began to see White House dysfunction, numerous books pointing out how chaotic the administration, and even Trump's day to day thinking, was, ridiculous nicknaming "Little Rocket Man" , insulting our time tested international allies, pushing other heads of state out of the way so Trump could properly preen for publicity photos, saying "there are good people on both sides" (when one of the sides were anti-semititc and anti-black neo-Nazis) , separation of children from their parents at the border, and countless other malfunctions of presidential behavior and expression. 

People who voted for Trump in 2016 have abandoned him. Not a lot, he still has a base of roughly 40%, but more than enough to cost him the election in 2020. 

But here is the thing. Once Trump's unfitness for office became apparent to the previous Obama voters who went for him in Michigan and Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, once his bizarre and offensive performance as president became painfully obvious, those people left him in the mid terms, and they are not going back. 

To go back to Trump they would have to re-lie to themselves and pretend they didn't see what they have seen since Trump took office. That is not human nature. "Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me" 

It is highly likely that the 2020 election will be a repeat of the mid terms, in other words an overall rebuke of Trump and trumpism. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Trump had his chance. He could have grown into the office and maybe kept some of those "Obama" voters, but it's too late now. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

Hey John did you see CNN's April Fools joke today? They actually reported the truth.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2    5 years ago

Happy April Trumps Day!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    5 years ago

I'm having deja vu all over again ....

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @2    5 years ago

Our right wing "friends" think that people who have been horrified by trump's behavior for the past 2+ years in office will vote for him anyway.  That is not what happened in the mid terms. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    5 years ago

What happened in the mid terms was a typical occurrence .... some would say slightly less than typical .... a "typical" changing of the guards to the non incumbent POTUS party.

Nothing more, nothing less.    But if it helps you to try and make it more than that. you are free to do so.

Carry on ...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.1    5 years ago

Weird, isn't it, that so much more importance was put on Republican losses in the midterms under Trump when he lost fewer seats than Democrats did under Obama.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.3    5 years ago

They keep letting the moon-bats drive their narrative 2020 is going to be a very, very bad year for Democrats.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.5  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    5 years ago

Ask Clinton and Obama how their mid term results prevented their re election two years later....

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4  KDMichigan    5 years ago

Hillary wins hands down....

Say John its nice that you like these predictions but are saying that no matter who runs against President Trump will win?

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
4.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  KDMichigan @4    5 years ago
Hillary wins hands down....

No matter how many times a rightwing lie is smacked down it never dies. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1.1  KDMichigan  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.1    5 years ago

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
4.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  KDMichigan @4    5 years ago
Say John its nice that you like these predictions but are saying that no matter who runs against President Trump will win?

For the sake of us all, I hope John is right.  Our only hope of healing this country will be if both sides nominate someone who cares more about the United States and it's citizens than they do themselves.

Serious question:  Would you vote for Donald Trump again?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.2    5 years ago
Would you vote for Donald Trump again?

This is the 64,000 dollar question, as they used to say. (For those unfamiliar with the reference,  it was an old tv game show where 64K was the top prize).  SOME Trump voters had an excuse in 2016, they hadn't been paying attention and knew nothing about him. But no one can say that in 2020. Anyone who votes for him after his behavior the past 4 years will need to be ashamed of themselves. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.3  Jack_TX  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.2    5 years ago

I didn't vote for him the first time.

I would have if my only other choice had been Bernie.

Will I vote for him next year?   Depends on what the other choice is.

Against most of the hard left Democratic field....I'll vote for Trump.  Against a moderate...probably not.

What Democrats don't seem to get is that the people in the middle decide elections.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.4  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @4.2.2    5 years ago

The turd in chief hasn't done dick for this country or its people and economy (unless you're part of the rich and filthy rich).  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.2.7  Raven Wing  replied to    5 years ago
There are no moderates in the Democratic party all of them are far left radicals to the point of being anarchist. 

And you know all this for sure how? You state it as a fact. Please tell us how you know this for a fact.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.8  Jack_TX  replied to    5 years ago
There are no moderates in the Democratic party all of them are far left radicals to the point of being anarchist.

999 of 1000 could be moderates and it wouldn't matter if they nominate Bernie or Warren or Booker or Harris or any of another dozen who pander to leftist whackjobs.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.2.10  Raven Wing  replied to  XDm9mm @4.2.9    5 years ago
While not a "fact", who the Democrats are contemplating as Presidental nominees, it's pretty indicativ

You can also say that about who the Republicans are contemplating as Presidential nominee is pretty indicative of far right radicals to the point of being anarchrists as well. 

Trump is not by a long shot a pure soul, untainted nor devoid of any of the same things that any Democrat may be accused of. 

There are no untainted candidates on either side. No decent American would be caught involved in the gutter slime of politics. On BOTH sides. So your degrading and insulting remarks about Democrats also applies to Republicans.

Neither side is 'clean' by any stretch.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.2.11  Greg Jones  replied to  Raven Wing @4.2.7    5 years ago
tell us how you know this for a fact.Please

Name those moderates.

Thanks!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.2.12  Raven Wing  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2.11    5 years ago
Name those moderates.

Your words. Your statement of facts. You have the responsibility to name them, not me.

Thanks!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.13  XXJefferson51  replied to  Raven Wing @4.2.7    5 years ago

Beast of the east; you are right on in what you were quoted as saying.  It is fact and no exaggeration at all.  Well said.  

luther28
Sophomore Silent
6  luther28    5 years ago

He cheats. He lies. He steals. He acts with cruelty. He relishes hate. It’s still stunning to realize millions & millions knew all this & still they wanted him to lead our country. It’s stunning to realize millions & millions are watching this now & still want him in charge.

Mr. Trump has not altered his MO for the past forty some years and yet here he remains (in truth he has become worse). I have mentioned this before, but I suppose it can not be said enough (should you want to unseat Mr. Trump that is): I would not be so smug as to the defeat of Mr. Trump. The economy is chugging along, unemployment is low etc., people need a reason to vote for another and not being Mr. Trump is not enough.

If indeed your prognostication is going to bear fruit, then the Dems might want to come up with some viable programs, explain the cost and how they will benefit the general public (the Green Deal although a noble notion, is not plausible), but that is my thought.

cms5
Freshman Quiet
6.1  cms5  replied to  luther28 @6    5 years ago
The economy is chugging along, unemployment is low etc., people need a reason to vote for another and not being Mr. Trump is not enough. If indeed your prognostication is going to bear fruit, then the Dems might want to come up with some viable programs, explain the cost and how they will benefit the general public (the Green Deal although a noble notion, is not plausible), but that is my thought.

Agreed. We all knew Trump wasn't a politician...part of the draw for many. The Dems will need to choose well.

Junior Participates
6.1.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  cms5 @6.1    5 years ago
The Dems will need to choose well.

I'd put it that the Dems need not to choose poorly.  There's a difference.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @6.1.1    5 years ago

In 2016, they chose ...... poorly.

Not to hear the pollsters tell it back then but there you go

Forward to 2019 and the butt-hurt remains.   Becoming a chronic condition for many.

Junior Participates
6.1.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.2    5 years ago
In 2016, they chose ...... poorly.

And yet the voters of the country felt otherwise by 3 million votes. The EC is what chose poorly as it has always done every time it has chosen the president.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @6.1.3    5 years ago

Gee, according to the United States Constitution, the electoral college ALWAYS selects the President of the United States.

So now, in your very own words, you are CLEARLY stating that the electoral college has chosen badly almost every 4 years.

Hmmm, most Americans have always liked it, and now we are subjected to buffoonish attempts to do away with the ec. What changed? Oh, that's right--the left didn't get their way, and 2 1/2 years later, are still whining and crying about it, unable to accept the results of the election. That is really sad for them.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @6.1.3    5 years ago
The EC is what chose poorly as it has always done every time it has chosen the president.  

Nah, the EC did exactly what it was intended to do and therefore the sea hag didn’t win.

unfortunately a few folks are butthurt over it but not enough to ever change it.    Time to finally deal with that ..... yeah buddy

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.6  XXJefferson51  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @6.1.3    5 years ago

Except that it has chosen the President every time with maybe one exception where there was no EC majority and it went to the House.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  luther28 @6    5 years ago
The economy is chugging along, unemployment is low etc., people need a reason to vote for another and not being Mr. Trump is not enough. If indeed your prognostication is going to bear fruit, then the Dems might want to come up with some viable programs, explain the cost and how they will benefit the general public (the Green Deal although a noble notion, is not plausible), but that is my thought.

Actually, I completely disagree with your premise. Trump is the worst president in our history as a nation. He is completely corrupt and dishonest, and is an ignoramus to boot. There is already more than sufficient reason to vote against Trump. What are we as a people? We will keep this abhorrent human being in office for four more years simply because the unemployment rate is low? There isnt even any compelling evidence that the low unemployment rate is due to him. 

I do think the Democratic candidate matters, and they need to nominate a traditional type Democrat, and not one farther left, this time. Assuming that the Dem candidate is mainstream, no one should vote for Trump. If you do your integrity is shot. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.2.1  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2    5 years ago
Trump is the worst president in our history as a nation.

When your friends talk about the GOAT basketball player, is it always a choice between LeBron or Steph Curry?  Does the GOAT musician argument come down to Drake vs Post Malone vs Taylor Swift?

He may be the worst president in your lifetime.  

But American history is actually longer than that.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
6.2.2  luther28  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2    5 years ago
Actually, I completely disagree with your premise. Trump is the worst president in our history as a nation. He is completely corrupt and dishonest, and is an ignoramus to boot.

John, I never said that he was not any of these things, what I said is the people will need a reason to vote against him and the Dems have not really offered one to date. If the Dems are of the mind that they have 2020 in the bag ( see 2016) then they have already lost.

Junior Participates
6.2.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  luther28 @6.2.2    5 years ago
If the Dems are of the mind that they have 2020 in the bag ( see 2016) then they have already lost.

I see no evidence of anything like that attitude now.  The same mobilization going on at local levels everywhere around the country that flipped 42 R house seats to D in 2018 is alive and well.  Dems are taking nothing for granted in 2020.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @6.2.3    5 years ago
I see no evidence of anything like that attitude now. The same mobilization going on at local levels everywhere around the country that flipped 42 R house seats to D in 2018 is alive and well. Dems are taking nothing for granted in 2020.

Don't be putting too much stock into the midterms.

After all, a wildly popular President recently lost more seats than the GOP did with Trump. Surely you remember that?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.5  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.4    5 years ago

Trump has lost much of his support in the upper midwest.  The reason he has lost that support is not because people dont like the economy, it is because they came to realize that Trump is not fit for office.  That is not something you go back and forth on.  None of those who left trump in the mid terms because he is not fit for office are going back to him. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.5    5 years ago
Trump has lost much of his support in the upper midwest. The reason he has lost that support is not because people dont like the economy, it is because they came to realize that Trump is not fit for office. That is not something you go back and forth on. None of those who left trump in the mid terms because he is not fit for office are going back to him.

Are you just as sure now as you were when you were sure Hillary was going to win?

Sorry, but your track record on "predictions" isn't very good.

But it is amusing.

Thank you.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

Only time will tell for sure. Predictions are like opinions and certain bodily orifices. Everybody has one...

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    5 years ago

He "cheats?" How?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.2  cjcold  replied to  Tacos! @8    5 years ago

Besides cheating on all of his wives, he cheats at golf, cheats on his taxes, cheats in all of his business dealings and cheated this country out of a  kind, intelligent, decent, stable human being as president.   

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.2  Tacos!  replied to  cjcold @8.2    5 years ago
and cheated this country out of a  kind, intelligent, decent, stable human being as president

I really don't think Trump had anything to do with Mitt Romney losing his election.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.2.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to    5 years ago

I used to have a friend who shot 81 every time.  Well, that was the upper limit. If he could legitimately get under 81 he would claim it, but 81 was as high as he would go. The problem is, when you do such things everyone who is with you more than once on the golf course notices it. It became a joke among the rest of us. 

No one would make side bets with him because if you didnt follow every single one of his shots you couldnt trust his score. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.2.6  cjcold  replied to  Tacos! @8.2.2    5 years ago

Romney is as big a shyster as Trump. He didn't need anybody to help him lose.

Bain Capital did him in.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.7  Tacos!  replied to  cjcold @8.2.6    5 years ago

You said "kind, intelligent, decent, stable human being." That sounds a lot like Mitt Romney and not at all like Hillary Clinton. At minimum, I would love to see you try to substantiate the claim that she is "stable."

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.9  Tacos!  replied to  XDm9mm @8.2.8    5 years ago
Other than that, she has a tendency to stumble and fall.

She's like that on the issues, too.

Evolution Or Expediency? Clinton's Changing Positions Over A Long Career

7 of Hillary Clinton’s Biggest Flip-Flops

Flip_Flops_300x300.jpg?height=300&width=

Even when she can stand, you can't tell what she stands for . jrSmiley_40_smiley_image.gif

Junior Participates
8.2.10  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Tacos! @8.2.2    5 years ago
I really don't think Trump had anything to do with Mitt Romney losing his election.

You're right.  President Obama did that.  What a disappointment Mittens must have been for you. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.11  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @8.2.10    5 years ago
What a disappointment Mittens must have been for you.

Probably not as big of a disappointment as Hillary losing was for you.

After all, the GOP wasn't whining and crying 2 1/2 years later about it.

Junior Participates
8.2.12  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @8.2.11    5 years ago
After all, the GOP wasn't whining and crying 2 1/2 years later about it.

Yeah, except that's exactly what you were doing.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.13  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @8.2.12    5 years ago
eah, except that's exactly what you were doing.

That's real nice.

Now prove it.

Junior Participates
8.2.14  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @8.2.13    5 years ago
Now prove it.

Whining along with Scumbag that he's a victim when he's a predator for starters. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.15  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @8.2.14    5 years ago
Whining along with Scumbag that he's a victim when he's a predator for starters.

Pretty damn weak-sauce stuff.

I thought you could actually provide proof--as asked.

Should have known better!

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
8.2.16  Don Overton  replied to  Texan1211 @8.2.13    5 years ago

We've already found out that some republicans ignore facts and the truth for lies so why bother trying to prove anything to them

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
8.2.17  Don Overton  replied to    5 years ago
He won fair and square, doesn't cheat

How hilarious 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Maybe what's going to happen in the next election depends of who will be the Democratic candidate - What if it will be Bernie Sanders and I'm not so sure who would like him to be their leader.  The antisemitism cradled by the Democrats might have a minor effect, but who knows?  Wasn't it a straw that broke the camel's back?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9    5 years ago

Sure have a hard time imagining Democrats like AOC and Tlaib endorsing Bernie or anyone Jewish.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1    5 years ago

I'm not so sure about that. The fact that he's openly pro-Palestinian would give them reason to support him to also try to establish that they are NOT antisemitic. 

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
9.2  Don Overton  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9    5 years ago

Democrats have never been anti semitic  that statement is just another lack of the republicans to not be truthful

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Don Overton @9.2    5 years ago
Democrats have never been anti semitic that statement is just another lack of the republicans to not be truthful

WOw. How could you forget all those Southern Democrats who became the KKK? They were pretty anti-Semetic--you can look it up!

Junior Participates
10  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    5 years ago
Sure have a hard time imagining Democrats like AOC and Tlaib endorsing Bernie or anyone Jewish.

I look forward to you admitting how wrong you are when and if Bernie is the nominee.  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
11  Jeremy Retired in NC    5 years ago

Good to see that despite a 2 year investigation coming up with nothing that the left know how to recycle old tantrums.