ICE arrests 280 at Texas firm, biggest immigration bust in a decade

Via:  xdm9mm  •  2 months ago  •  85 comments

ICE arrests 280 at Texas firm, biggest immigration bust in a decade
"Unauthorized workers often use stolen IDs of legal U.S. workers, which can profoundly damage for years the identity-theft victim’s credit, medical records and other aspects of their everyday life,"

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

More than 280 employees of a north Texas telecommunications repair company were arrested by federal immigration officials in the largest worksite operation in more than a decade, Immigration and Customs Enforcement said.

ICE's Homeland Security Investigations unit executed criminal search warrants Wednesday at CVE Technology Group and four related businesses. CVE is based in Allen, about 25 miles north of Dallas.

"The investigation is ongoing but we can disclose that this is the largest ICE worksite operation at one site in the last 10 years," said Katrina Berger, HSI Dallas Special Agent in Charge.

She said the agency began the investigation in January after receiving multiple tips that the company may have knowingly hired undocumented immigrants, many of whom were using fraudulent identification documents.

Wendy Armas, a Guatemalan national with two teen children, told NBCDFW.com she's worked at CVE since arriving in the United States five years ago. She said she was arrested and bused away before being released after promising to appear in court next month.

"The hardest thing was when the bus started taking off," she said. "There was a long moment of silence, people crying, people saying 'I’m going to leave this country and go back to my own.'"

All of those arrested will be interviewed by ICE staff to record any medical, sole-caregiver or other humanitarian situations, ICE said in a statement. Based on these interviews, ICE will determine if those arrested remain in custody or are considered for humanitarian release. 

All, however, will be fingerprinted and processed for removal from the United States.

Many of the individuals employed at CVE were using fraudulent ID documents, ICE said.

"Unauthorized workers often use stolen IDs of legal U.S. workers, which can profoundly damage for years the identity-theft victim’s credit, medical records and other aspects of their everyday life," the statement said.

ICE said its worksite investigations combat worker exploitation, illegal wages, child labor and other illegal practices. Worksite enforcement investigations often involve human smuggling, human trafficking, money laundering, document fraud and worker exploitation, the agency said.

“Businesses that knowingly hire illegal aliens create an unfair advantage over their competing businesses," Berger said. “They take jobs away from U.S. citizens and legal residents, and they create an atmosphere poised for exploiting their illegal workforce.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
Find text within the comments Find 

XDm9mm
1  seeder  XDm9mm    2 months ago
“Businesses that knowingly hire illegal aliens create an unfair advantage over their competing businesses," Berger said. “They take jobs away from U.S. citizens and legal residents, and they create an atmosphere poised for exploiting their illegal workforce.”

HOPEFULLY.....   if it can be proved that they knew they were illegal alien invaders, those responsible, from the hiring manager to the CEO and/or owners will be prosecuted to the FULL extent of the law and suffer the FULL consequences of their actions.

katrix
1.1  katrix  replied to  XDm9mm @1    2 months ago

That's really the only way to decrease this - to go after the people who deliberately hire illegal immigrants.

Of course, it's pretty difficult to prove that they knew, especially if the credentials were decent. 

XDm9mm
1.1.1  seeder  XDm9mm  replied to  katrix @1.1    2 months ago
Of course, it's pretty difficult to prove that they knew, especially if the credentials were decent.

I have a friend who works for ICE and he's been involved in smaller scale things than this.  His best laugh is when the 'employer', (more often than not, a small construction employer) claims that he thought they were all citizens.  Multiple people with the same name, SS#, DOB, and don't speak a word of English is a pretty good indicator someone is lying!!

But, and I've even told my Senators and Congressman that the law needs to be meaningful to stop the employers.  Right now, the 'penalty' is nothing more than a minor fine which they consider a cost of doing business and are willing to risk it.

Make the fine meaningful and painful and even major corporations will think twice about hiring illegal aliens.

1st offense - $5,000 or $10,000 per illegal alien per day (from date of hire).

2nd offense - $20,000 or $50,000 per illegal alien per day from date of hire plus criminal charges against the people responsible for the hiring and a minimum of 6 months in jail.

3rd offense - $100,000 per illegal alien per day from date of hire and criminal charges for the Senior management team including CEO/President, VP's, COO's, and any others that could possibly be involved in the hiring, training, retention of the illegal aliens.

WallyW
1.1.2  WallyW  replied to  katrix @1.1    2 months ago

It appears the company knew all along and was highly involved in the wrong doing. What makes a credential "decent"? 

katrix
1.1.3  katrix  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.1    2 months ago

On a small scale (smaller company with fewer layers of management), it would be easier to prove.  On a larger management scale, it's easier for the higher-ups to claim they were too far removed from it to be aware, and can be difficult to prove a case. 

Trump did pay over $1,000,000 in settlements after he hired all those illegal Polish workers for demolition work, but never faced any legal consequences for hiring them; the settlements had to do with not paying union welfare money, and for ripping off the workers.  Target does something similar with their cleaning crews - if you hire a contractor, even if you know damn well they're using illegals, you generally get to skate.

WallyW
1.1.4  WallyW  replied to  katrix @1.1.3    2 months ago

[deleted]

katrix
1.1.5  katrix  replied to  WallyW @1.1.4    2 months ago

Ah, so you're inconsistent about your outrage over those who hire illegals?  And you are apparently OK that I mentioned Target, even though Target isn't officially the topic.  The topic is companies who hire illegal immigrants and how they should be penalized; why would any particular company be exempt from the conversation?

My point to XDm9mm was about his friend who deals on smaller scale incidents, and how it seems to me those would be easier to prove than cases with more management layers.  And I provided two examples to make my point.

As to what makes a credential "decent" - I'm pretty sure some people you can buy fraudulent credentials from can make them look pretty genuine, while others ... not so much.

lady in black
1.1.6  lady in black  replied to  WallyW @1.1.4    2 months ago

Trump hired illegals, this is about a company hiring illegals....

katrix
1.1.7  katrix  replied to  lady in black @1.1.6    2 months ago

Exactly. And I used both a conservative company and a liberal company as examples to avoid being partisan.

XDm9mm
1.1.8  seeder  XDm9mm  replied to  katrix @1.1.3    2 months ago
Trump did pay over $1,000,000 in settlements after he hired all those illegal Polish workers for demolition work, but never faced any legal consequences for hiring them;

Trump didn't hire them.  Contractors he hired did.

But, as you note, those that hire contractors don't have any culpability, and why should they?  They generally have no control over their contractors hiring decisions.

I handle that by insisting in any contract that I sign that only legal citizens or green card resident aliens be permitted to work on the project I've contracted for.  Failure to do so will allow me to cancel the contract with no financial penalties for doing so and the contractor will forfeit any and all monies typically due to the point of cancellation.

squiggy
1.1.9  squiggy  replied to  lady in black @1.1.6    2 months ago
Trump fired illegals, this is about a company hiring illegals....

katrix
1.1.10  katrix  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.8    2 months ago
But, as you note, those that hire contractors don't have any culpability, and why should they?  They generally have no control over their contractors hiring decisions.

In the case of both Trump and Target, it's pretty clear that they DID know.  Trump directly hired that contractor because he wanted those illegal Polish workers (and even threatened to call ICE on them when they fought for their pay), and some of the Target managers locked the contractor employees in the store overnight, which I find hard to believe that they'd do to any legal employees.  But, because it's so hard to prove, it seems we have to focus on companies like this one - where it would be very hard to imagine that there were 280 illegals employed - direct employees, not contractors -  and the hiring manager didn't know about it.  The higher-up managers may be able to skate, though.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

katrix
1.1.11  katrix  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.8    2 months ago
I handle that by insisting in any contract that I sign that only legal citizens or green card resident aliens be permitted to work on the project I've contracted for.  Failure to do so will allow me to cancel the contract with no financial penalties for doing so and the contractor will forfeit any and all monies typically due to the point of cancellation.

Too bad more employers don't do that.  That's an excellent practice.

Sparty On
1.1.12  Sparty On  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.1    2 months ago
His best laugh is when the 'employer', (more often than not, a small construction employer) claims that he thought they were all citizens. 

Yeah, we deal with this sort of thing all the time in the construction field and it is horseshit.   Most of these bozo's are paying cash.   Simply putting through the required paperwork  to properly enter these employee into the system to pay taxes and such usually fleshes it out.

And i agree, no mercy on business people who try to get away with crap.   Throw the damn book at em.   They hurt a hell of lot more than just people involved.   They hurt all the other people who aren't getting work because they all chose to do it the legal way.

Nothing right about it.

katrix
1.1.13  katrix  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.12    2 months ago

I think most of the small painting and construction companies around here hire illegal immigrants, and pick up day laborers at the usual meeting spots.  These aren't exactly businessmen, just people who started out painting on their own, then needed to hire a few people, etc. - but that's no excuse, in my opinion.  They also hire felons, don't conduct background checks, etc.  I don't want these people having access to my house, so I am very careful about who I hire for any work like that.

Sparty On
1.1.14  Sparty On  replied to  katrix @1.1.13    2 months ago
I don't want these people having access to my house, so I am very careful about who I hire for any work like that.

Thats good, you should be careful like that.

A couple ways to check out contractors is to make sure they are Licensed (if applicable), Bonded and Insured.   While that doesn't guarantee they aren't hiring illegals, chances are if they've gone to the trouble and expense of doing all that, they probably hire legally as well.

Trout Giggles
1.1.15  Trout Giggles  replied to  katrix @1.1.10    2 months ago
The higher-up managers may be able to skate, though.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

If there was a real system in place for punishing these higher-ups, then the prosecutors could put pressure on the lower-downs to rat out their bosses

katrix
1.1.16  katrix  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.14    2 months ago

Some of these small ones are licensed and still pull crap like that, I've found.   

I had a friend get miffed because I was adding a second bathroom; she wanted me to hire her boyfriend to do the plumbing, and I insisted on hiring someone who was licensed, bonded, and insured in case anything went wrong.  It's one thing hiring a friend who's a great handyman for something small, like putting up some drywall, but when it involves something like this, or with installing wiring, forget it.  I want a professional. 

Ender
1.1.17  Ender  replied to  katrix @1.1.10    2 months ago
some of the Target managers locked the contractor employees in the store overnight

When I was a teenager I worked at Kmart. Back then they also locked in the cleaning crew at night.

1stwarrior
1.1.18  1stwarrior  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.1    2 months ago

In 1986, Reagan signed the Immigration Reform and Control Act which gave proper residency rights to over 2.7 million Illegal Aliens.  If the Act had been allowed to remain intact while going through the House and the Senate, it would have given almost 3 million Illegal Aliens the right to be and work in the U.S..  Congress (Democrats) screwed the actual intent of the Act by removing/reducing the two primary requirements that Reagan wanted in the Act - stronger, more adequate, border security and the requirement to place sanctions on employers employing or continuing to hire undocumented immigrants.

Today, we have over 33 million Illegal Aliens, including spouses and kiddies, and the Dems want EVERYBODY to have amnesty.  The Dems are the major blocks to the same things Reagan wanted - enhanced/stronger border security and placing sanctions on employers for hiring Illegal Aliens.

Would penalties work in the reduction of hiring Illegal Aliens???  Hell yes - but - the Dems will NEVER approve penalizing U.S. business people - they need the votes.

Sparty On
1.1.19  Sparty On  replied to  katrix @1.1.16    2 months ago

Spot on

Thrawn 31
1.1.20  Thrawn 31  replied to  squiggy @1.1.9    one month ago

So, Trump's?

Don Overton
1.1.21  Don Overton  replied to  WallyW @1.1.4    one month ago

Trump is always the topic with racism

WallyW
1.2  WallyW  replied to  XDm9mm @1    2 months ago

All of those arrested will be interviewed by ICE staff to record any medical, sole-caregiver or other humanitarian situations ICE said in a statement. Based on these interviews, ICE will determine if those arrested remain in custody or are considered for humanitarian release. Many of the individuals employed at CVE were using fraudulent ID documents, ICE said.

I hope this is just the beginning in getting rid of these people. Put the companies out of business. At least the authorities are doing the right thing in the case of the workers. Illegals obtaining fraudulent credentials by identity theft is quite common.

squiggy
1.3  squiggy  replied to  XDm9mm @1    2 months ago

The migration deniers will insist the guests are here just to pick lettuce.

Don Overton
1.3.1  Don Overton  replied to  squiggy @1.3    one month ago

And you can prove that or is it just another lie

SteevieGee
1.4  SteevieGee  replied to  XDm9mm @1    2 months ago
HOPEFULLY.....   if it can be proved that they knew they were illegal alien invaders, those responsible, from the hiring manager to the CEO and/or owners will be prosecuted to the FULL extent of the law and suffer the FULL consequences of their actions.

Hopefully.  However nether the hiring manager, CEO, or the owners were arrested.  ICE says it's about protecting immigrants from abuse but, once again, it's the victims of this abuse who are arrested.  I've worked in the construction industry for 35 years and have yet to see a company owner do a single night of jail time for these offenses.  I have, however seen several ICE raids over the years and have never seen anybody taken away return to work.  We need to make e-verify mandatory for hiring and we need laws with real teeth to punish those who hire illegal workers.  This will stop illegal immigration better than any wall in the desert.

Ed-NavDoc
2  Ed-NavDoc    2 months ago

I hope this sends a clear message to other border states and beyond that this may happen there as well. Especially to those knowingly hiring illegals.

XDm9mm
3  seeder  XDm9mm    2 months ago
Wendy Armas, a Guatemalan national with two teen children, told NBCDFW.com she's worked at CVE since arriving in the United States five years ago. She said she was arrested and bused away before being released after promising to appear in court next month.

So, for five years, this ILLEGAL ALIEN INVADER was doing the job an AMERICAN could have and should have been doing.  But there are of course those people that claim they only come to 'pick our fruits and vegetables'

"The hardest thing was when the bus started taking off," she said. "There was a long moment of silence, people crying, people saying 'I’m going to leave this country and go back to my own.'"

Very hopefully, "Wendy Armas" will heed those words and return to her native Guatemala.  Hell, with her experience and knowledge, she might be the economic savior of her area if she opens a business there.

Trout Giggles
3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  XDm9mm @3    2 months ago

Have to agree with your comment. I never thought they came here to just pick our produce (tho who's going to do it now? lol)

My problem has always been with the people who hire the illegals. If they didn't hire them at low wages they wouldn't come here

Transyferous Rex
3.1.1  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    2 months ago
If they didn't hire them at low wages they wouldn't come here

That may be true in some areas. I can tell you that there are illegals making a really good living in construction, especially construction in the energy industry. Overlooked is the fact that people from South and Central America are willing to make the trek to the US to work...at any price, while US citizens largely bitch about working...at any price.

Do the employers know? I can't imagine they are all innocent. As someone else suggested, if you have to have an interpreter to communicate with your employees, there should be some red flags waiving. (although I know that is not a sure sign. I know a guy that, when I met him, had been in the states for 14 years. Didn't speak English. He was here legally. I spoke enough broken/slang Spanish to allow us to communicate. Asked him why he never learned, he simply said he had no need to.) 

Ender
3.1.2  Ender  replied to  Transyferous Rex @3.1.1    2 months ago

That is where I mostly see them around here, on construction sites.

Ed-NavDoc
3.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ender @3.1.2    2 months ago

As I have said before, I live on the border. There is a town about 60 miles North of me call Sierra Vista, AZ. They have a Home Depot and a Lowes. On any given workday you can find group a of them in the parking lots waiting to be hired as laborers on construction sites. For everyv one the CBP picks up,  at least 5 more will take their place.

Ender
3.1.4  Ender  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.3    2 months ago

One thing I will agree with you on.

My cousin was building a house a few years ago. Almost every worker on the site looked Mexican or another descent.

Though I will admit, some of them were very talented. One guy was a great painter. He did a beautiful finish on the fireplace and painted a mural on their sons wall.

Didn't come out well with the shine. It was about 4ft by 4ft.

JBB
3.1.5  JBB  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.3    2 months ago

Day laborers are outside Lowe's and Home Depots coast to coast.

Must be work to be had...everywhere! It is the construction trades...

XDm9mm
3.1.6  seeder  XDm9mm  replied to  Ender @3.1.4    2 months ago
My cousin was building a house a few years ago. Almost every worker on the site looked Mexican or another descent.

Honestly, that's very common here in Texas, and I'll surmise AZ and NM as well.   Hell, I don't know about NM or AZ, but we have TexMex here in Texas.   Those Texans that can trace their heritage back to before the the Texas war of independence from Mexico.

The problem is that the illegal alien invaders are not liked even by the native TexMex of legal resident aliens.  The illegals ARE taking the jobs Americans WANT to do, like electrician, plumber, painter and other construction trades, plus heavy equipment operators and general laborers on major and road construction sites.   They get the jobs because they're willing to take lower wages than legal residents and of course they can because they don't have the responsibilities of the legal aliens and citizens.  They live in almost college dorm type situations with large numbers living together and sharing the minimal expenses so they can send 'remittances' back home.   Hell, the lines in virtually every grocery store waiting to get to the clerk handling the Western Union are generally huge.   And I've NEVER heard one of those people speak English to the clerk and in fact I've heard the clerks tell the people 'No hablo Espanol' as they called for the clerk that was bilingual.

I'm not saying that they're not hard workers and many times are very talented.....  but they just don't belong in the work force unless they do so LEGALLY after the come into the country LEGALLY.

Ender
3.1.7  Ender  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.6    2 months ago

We don't have people hanging out at the HI stores. Never see that.

I have seen a couple of houses where it looks like about 10 or so live there.

IMO it goes back to the theme of the seed.

Blame the people that are hiring these people. We all know, they know, what they are doing.

WallyW
3.1.8  WallyW  replied to  JBB @3.1.5    2 months ago

To be laborers perhaps, but to be licensed trades persons, they have to be citizens.

Ed-NavDoc
3.1.9  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ender @3.1.7    2 months ago

Just out of curiosity, in your post when you put in Hi, was that supposed to be MI? I lived in HI for years and they do not have problems with illegals...

Kavika
3.1.10  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.9    2 months ago

Hi Doc, yes Hawaii does have a illegal immigrant problem. Most are from Japan and the Philippines. 

In 2017 it was estimated that there were 21,000 illegals in Hawaii. 

If you fold the map just right, Michigan is right next to Hawaii. True story.

Aloha and talofa lava uso.

Texan1211
3.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @3.1.10    2 months ago
Hi Doc, yes Hawaii does have a illegal immigrant problem. Most are from Japan and the Philippines.

They just came for the jobs.

Besides, wouldn't want the price of pineapples to go up too much, right?

Ender
3.1.12  Ender  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.9    2 months ago

Home Improvement stores.

Ed-NavDoc
3.1.14  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ender @3.1.12    2 months ago

Understood. My thanks for the clarification. 

Ed-NavDoc
3.1.15  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.11    2 months ago

I understand. I was actually being somewhat facetious. Besides,  I left HI in 1993 when it really was not so much a problem.

Kavika
3.1.16  Kavika   replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.11    2 months ago
Besides, wouldn't want the price of pineapples to go up too much, right?

Actually the pineapple industry in Hawaii has gone much the way of sugar cane. Very little is grown there any more....Many of the sugar cane fields now are growing macadamia nuts. 

Costa Rica and the Philippines are the two largest exporters of pineapples by a large margin. 

Interesting enough the largest privately owned cattle ranch in the US is on the Big Island, the Parker Ranch. A really interesting history and I believe it is also the oldest  cattle ranch in the US...The cowboys are called ''Paniolo''.... 

katrix
3.2  katrix  replied to  XDm9mm @3    2 months ago
But there are of course those people that claim they only come to 'pick our fruits and vegetables

If you're referring to our conversation the other day, please recall that I was talking about LEGAL immigrants.

βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ
4  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ    2 months ago

That's 280 people who may be using your social security number to gain employment. It's not really a crime because the intent is not there but the damage to your credit is very real.

If a citizen uses a false identity you are charged with hard felony laws. It's a major crime these days.

katrix
4.1  katrix  replied to  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ @4    2 months ago
That's 280 people who may be using your social security number to gain employment.

That's the thing that makes me angriest about illegal immigrants - identity theft is no laughing matter.  When people say "oh, but they pay taxes!" - well, if they're paying their taxes, it's because they stole someone's identity.

βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ
4.1.1  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ  replied to  katrix @4.1    2 months ago

I encounter this all the time as I broker loans for illegals. If I don't the city would sue. As I arrange the loan their W2's and pay-stubs have social security numbers on them that aren't theirs.

They get tax returns from the IRS under their ITIN number with documents with a bogus social security number. It's insanity.

JBB
4.1.2  JBB  replied to  katrix @4.1    2 months ago

I'd like to audit exactly how employers like this really account for their illegal employee's taxes. Dollars to donuts there is lots of hanky panky on that side of the equation, too. Probably employers know so they do not remit to the government in many many cases big as this. Surely they know and take FULL ADVANTAGE.

I've known some who hired illegals and they never made any remittances to the government no matter what paperwork they pawned off on laborers  The employers just claim they withheld taxes to shaft the workers. Who is enforcing the tax collections? Nearly nobody. It is low priority. Just look what the Trump Crime Family have been getting away with regarding immigrants, for generations...

Jeremy Retired in NC
4.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ @4    2 months ago

The draw back is that if they are charged and convicted, they still stay in the country at a cost to real citizens.  

charger 383
5  charger 383    2 months ago

If drug dealers can lose all assets that came from illegal sales then illegal aliens should lose all assets they gained during the time they were here illegally.  Employers should forfeit all money made for them by illegal aliens in addition to large fines 

squiggy
5.1  squiggy  replied to  charger 383 @5    2 months ago

Ouch - we're gonna put you in charge of this mess.

charger 383
5.1.1  charger 383  replied to  squiggy @5.1    2 months ago

Ready to start and looking for staff members

It Is ME
6  It Is ME    2 months ago

"which can profoundly damage for years the identity-theft victim’s credit"

Went through the "Fix" process for my 6 year old daughter on this…… a few moons ago. Imagine having to "Fix" your "6 year old's" credit, before she even gets started in life !

charger 383
7  charger 383    2 months ago

when an illegal uses somebody's social security number does the real social security account get credit for the money paid under that number?  

katrix
7.1  katrix  replied to  charger 383 @7    2 months ago

I've often wondered about that.  Badfish may know.

βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ
7.2  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ  replied to  charger 383 @7    2 months ago

Yes they absolutely do. I've had people come into the dealership and say they have a loan on their credit following a sale we made to an illegal alien. It's almost impossible to fix.

I had a person call me a few years ago because they needed to get the car off their credit for a home purchase. It was an absolute disaster.

squiggy
7.2.1  squiggy  replied to  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ @7.2    2 months ago

I think he means does the SSI account appreciate with deposited witholdings from a paycheck.

squiggy
7.2.2  squiggy  replied to  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ @7.2    2 months ago

...but yea, what a mess a phony loan must be.

charger 383
7.2.3  charger 383  replied to  squiggy @7.2.1    2 months ago

that's what I was asking,  somebody might get credit for the payments when they retire 

katrix
7.2.4  katrix  replied to  charger 383 @7.2.3    2 months ago

I googled but couldn't find the answer. 

βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ
7.2.5  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ  replied to  charger 383 @7.2.3    2 months ago

That is an excellent question, i haven't a clue. I have not seen any retired illegal aliens.

βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ
7.2.6  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ  replied to  squiggy @7.2.2    2 months ago

One guy i made a loan too was arrested for identity fraud after the real citizen called the bank and the local police. I had to repurchase the contract and was willing to have him continue making payments but He was deported and came right back across the border, lawyered up and sued us for 3 Million alleging we gave him the bogus social. He had applied for credit all over town with the bogus social and I presented that in the deposition ending the ridiculous suit. 

He beat his wife, was arrested a few months later and that was that deported again. He's Probably back here now though.

katrix
7.2.7  katrix  replied to  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ @7.2.5    2 months ago

I think the question is do their wages count as part of yours, to determine how much SS you get when you retire?  i.e. I make 50k, the illegal claims 20K, do I get credit for 70k when my benefits are calculated?

βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ
7.2.8  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ  replied to  katrix @7.2.7    2 months ago

I do not know.

The Magic Eight Ball
7.2.9  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  katrix @7.2.7    2 months ago
I make 50k, the illegal claims 20K, do I get credit for 70k when my benefits are calculated?

if you never report your ID as stolen?  probably so. 

now other questions arise...

is accepting benefits resulting from knowingly fraudulent payments to your account illegal?  if not... how many people can we legally allow to work in our name?  can we each have 100 illegals working in our names so we can retire like kings? and can we also charge them a daily fee billed monthly of course for use of our identity until our incredibly fantastic retirement begins?

no matter how ya slice it, sounds like fraud to me.

I'm fairly certain abuse will eventually be spotted. 

The Magic Eight Ball
7.2.10  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @7.2.9    2 months ago
I'm fairly certain abuse will eventually be spotted.

I think they would notice if a person "retired in florida"" but kept working full time in california.

just sayin :)

SteevieGee
7.2.11  SteevieGee  replied to  charger 383 @7.2.3    2 months ago
that's what I was asking,  somebody might get credit for the payments when they retire 

I think you would get credit for it if it's paid into your account but often these employers deduct social security from their checks and just keep it.  They don't pay it to the government.

charger 383
7.2.12  charger 383  replied to  SteevieGee @7.2.11    2 months ago

If they are knowingly hiring illegals they would do that too

katrix
7.2.13  katrix  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @7.2.9    2 months ago

Heh.  Maybe we can find someone dumb enough to try it, and they can let us know how it works out for them ;)   How much should they charge for the daily fee?

There have been cases of people fraudulently claiming a person's social security benefits, so I suppose it makes sense that this could happen too.  If it's only 5k or 10k per year, people might not even realize it, if they're not aware that their identity was stolen. I know I can't remember exactly how much I made in every single year that I worked. 

Either way, a good reason to check your credit reports on a regular basis, and to freeze your credit so nobody else can open accounts in your name.

Jeremy Retired in NC
7.2.14  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ @7.2    2 months ago

And sadly many don't see that as a problem (until it happens to them)

lady in black
8  lady in black    2 months ago

And you wonder why the illegals flock here when employers employ them....shut down the business, take all their assets.

Ed-NavDoc
8.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  lady in black @8    2 months ago

On this, we agree 100%.

Tacos!
9  Tacos!    2 months ago
Unauthorized workers often use stolen IDs of legal U.S. workers

So . . . not "honest hard-working people just trying to make a better life for themselves." More like opportunists getting ahead at the expense of actual honest hard-working people.

Trout Giggles
9.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tacos! @9    2 months ago

don't let the company off that easily. Even the article states that they probably knowingly hired these people when they could have hired legal citizens

Tacos!
9.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1    2 months ago
don't let the company off that easily

No, I wouldn't. I just hear a lot more about how virtuous and pure all "undocumented workers" are than I do about desperate and innocent employers. Of course, the employers are wrong, as well.

katrix
9.2  katrix  replied to  Tacos! @9    2 months ago

That's the thing - if they're honest, they'd be paying taxes - except if they're paying taxes, they're not honest because they have to commit identity theft to pay taxes.  And if they're not paying taxes, they're not honest.  But yet we're not supposed to refer to them as "illegal immigrants" when that is exactly what they are.

Many of them are hard-working and trying to make a better life for themselves, I'll grant that.  But there's a right way to do that.

I truly feel sorry for many of these people.  If I lived in a crappy place, I'd probably do whatever it took to try to make a better life for myself, especially if I had children.  But unfortunately we cannot afford to help them all, and can't afford to take in everyone from around the world who lives in a crappy place.  We can't even afford to help all of our own citizens.  I wish we could, but we can't.

βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ
9.2.1  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ  replied to  katrix @9.2    2 months ago

Many undocumented are hard working good people. The real problem is we ignore our own laws, in which many Americans are held accountable for. If we are truly a people living under the rule of law we can have but one standard.

It's time for congress do do their damn jobs and fix this problem. Issue work visas for people, prosecute identity fraud and crimes that Americans are prosecuted for.

Tacos!
9.3.1  Tacos!  replied to  Don Overton @9.3    one month ago

I don't just follow links. You have to give me a reason.

Thrawn 31
10  Thrawn 31    one month ago

Fuck the workers, the employers are the problem.

XDm9mm
10.1  seeder  XDm9mm  replied to  Thrawn 31 @10    one month ago
Fuck the workers, the employers are the problem

Actually, both sentiments are true.

A good number of those 'workers' are in fact smuggled sex slaves.  So yeah, they're being 'fucked'.

And those sex slaves AND those that aren't, are being exploited and used by the 'employers' in one way or another.  In BOTH cases, the 'employer' should be severely punished when caught.

Sparty On
10.2  Sparty On  replied to  Thrawn 31 @10    one month ago

Yes, pick up your hammer and sickle and revolt ...... check that, wrong time-frame ..... pick up your bike lock and ski mask and revolt!

freepress
11  freepress    one month ago

Why go after the the employees and not go after the actual source? Go after the companies, many employers, including Trump and his businesses are guilty of this.

In 10 years, the entire last decade, and 280 is all they can claim as a "major bust"? Where's the emergency? 

If the companies that do not completely and properly vet their employees and every company were held to the same standard, half of the employers in the country would be in cuffs.

Spinning this as those who are arrested are the most guilty is disgusting. Republican politicians have turned a blind eye to illegal immigration for the last 50 years to appease their wealthy donors who want cheap labor.

Trump has been found to hire illegals, rather than hire Americans he applies for foreign workers with visas and as we have seen many that manage his properties don't follow the rules and have even given workers false documents.