╌>

Dog owners are much happier than cat owners, survey finds

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  5 years ago  •  214 comments

Dog owners are much happier than cat owners, survey finds

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The well-respected survey that’s been a barometer of American politics, culture and behavior for more than four decades finally got around to the question that has bedeviled many a household.

Dog or cat?

In 2018, the   General Social Survey   for the first time included a battery of questions on pet ownership. The findings not only quantified the   nation’s pet population   — nearly 6 in 10 households have at least one —they made it possible to see how pet ownership overlaps with all sorts of factors of interest to social scientists.

Like happiness.

AMPJPGCMXJBDZPSK4EM42NY32Y.png

For starters, there is little difference between pet owners and non-owners when it comes to happiness, the survey shows. The two groups are statistically indistinguishable on the likelihood of identifying as “very happy” (a little over 30 percent) or “not too happy” (in the mid-teens).

But when you break the data down by pet type — cats, dogs or both — a stunning divide emerges: Dog owners are about twice as likely as cat owners to say they’re very happy, with people owning both falling somewhere in between.

Dog people, in other words, are slightly happier than those without any pets. Those in the cat camp, on the other hand, are significantly less happy than the pet-less. And having both appears to cancel each other out happiness-wise. (Since someone’s bound to ask, it isn’t possible to do this same type of analysis for say, rabbit owners or   lizard owners   or fish owners, since there aren’t enough of those folks in the survey to make a statistically valid sample).

These differences are quite large: The happiness divide between dog and cat owners is bigger than the one between  people who identify as middle and upper class , and nearly as large as the gap between those who say they’re in “fair” versus “good or excellent” health.

However, correlation doesn’t equal causation, and there are probably a number of other differences between dog and cat owners that account for some of the differences. The General Social Survey data show that dog owners, for instance, are more likely to be married and own their own homes than cat owners, both factors known to affect happiness and life satisfaction.

Previous research on this topic yielded mixed results. In 2006, the Pew Research Center found   no significant differences in happiness   between pet owners and non-pet owners, or cat and dog owners. However, that survey did not distinguish between people who owned “only” a dog or a cat, and those who owned “either” a dog or a cat, potentially muddying the distinctions between exclusive dog and cat owners.

A   2016 study of dog and cat owners , on the other hand, yielded greater happiness ratings for dog owners relative to cat people. It attributed the contrast, at least in part, to differences in personality: Dog owners tended to be more agreeable, more extroverted and less neurotic than cat owners. And   a 2015 study   linked the presence of a cat in the home to fewer negative emotions, but not necessarily an increase in positive ones.

Research also has shown that dog owners are   more likely than other folks to form friendships with people in their neighborhoods   on the basis of the random encounters that happen when they’re out walking their pets. Those social connections likely contribute to greater well-being among dog owners.

The General Social Survey also asked a number of questions about how people interact with their pets, and the answers may also explain some of the happiness gap. Dog owners, for instance, are more likely to seek comfort from their pet in times of stress, more likely to play with their pet, and more likely to consider their pet a member of their family. Those differences suggest a stronger social bond with their pets, which could create a greater sense of well-being.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    5 years ago

My Puppy Boy is 9, diabetic and blind but he still makes me smile all of the time...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JBB @2    5 years ago

That's sweet. 

My Wally makes me happy. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    5 years ago

LOL!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  JBB @2    5 years ago

My Yoda Girl makes me very happy. She is my Companion Cat and does her job very well. I am hearing impaired, and while I am fine when wearing a hearing aid, when I take it off my hearing is very low. She lets me know when there is something she thinks I need to check out. She is very loving and talks to me all the time. While she is independent, and only wants to be petted when she wants it, she is a great companion. 

Here's a picture of my Yoda Girl

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Raven Wing @2.2    5 years ago

You Yoda Girl is very pretty. I love her mits

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.1    5 years ago

Thanks Perrie. jrSmiley_94_smiley_image.png

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Raven Wing @2.2.2    5 years ago

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I have never owned a cat and have always owned a dog. But just by observation it seems to me that dogs are seen as being more consciously interactive with their humans. That is the difference I think.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago

I have had dogs that were friendly and dogs that were not. I can say the same with cats. I really think it just depends on the animal.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     5 years ago

I'z a dog and a really good dog. We don't have any badgers in our yard (I'z a badger hunter) we have some donuts but I eat them as soon as Iz find one. 

Also I'm short but I'm long. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @5    5 years ago

Who could not love Wiki? 

TTGA
Professor Silent
5.2  TTGA  replied to  Kavika @5    5 years ago
We don't have any badgers in our yard (I'z a badger hunter)

You don't have any elephants in your yard either.  That Wiki can take on anything.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Kavika   replied to  TTGA @5.2    5 years ago
That Wiki can take on anything.

It's pretty amazing TTGA. She isn't called Wiki Warrior Wonder Wiener for nothing. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     5 years ago

I almost forgot, this is my buddy Zeus...He lives next door or any where he want's to. 

d05384260a4962bfc075167639752ae6.jpg

This is me, Wiki Warrior Wonder Wiener chasing a rhino out of our yard...I put the fear of Zeus into him.

main-rhino-dog.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @6    5 years ago

This is my cuz, Luther Scares the Cow, (Indian Dog ya know)....

Ain't no cat that can do watz me and Zeus can do.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @6    5 years ago

Zeus is well named and looks a bit scary.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.3.1  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.3    5 years ago
Zeus is well named and looks a bit scary.

Actually other than the one time that he ate a mailman he's pretty laid back. 

Ender
Professor Principal
6.4  Ender  replied to  Kavika @6    5 years ago

I think Zeus has been hitting the steroids.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     5 years ago

Wait, what!!! How did I get into this. Well since I am may I suggest that, ''Suave'' is quite fitting for me. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @8    5 years ago

Are you aware that I was the 19 something ''Intercollegiate Ballroom Dancing Champion''....Talk about some moves. 

A absolutely true story. 

This is me doing some practice moves...I was a bit younger than. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Kavika   replied to    5 years ago

Hey those guys are pretty good MUVA...

Some competition .jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @8.1    5 years ago

Thems some very mean steps there Bro. Had me beating my drum in time with his steps on this end. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

A cease fire between my fur babies.  Casey is recovering from a deserved swat to the nose.

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @9    5 years ago

LOL, too funny sandy. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
10  Kavika     5 years ago

f26e084993bc2a724100b5f38f7f68dc--dog-memes-funny-memes.jpg

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
10.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @10    5 years ago

Ain't that the truth! jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
10.1.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Raven Wing @10.1    5 years ago

It was the can opener for mine.....

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
10.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @10.1.1    5 years ago

Same here Fly. The brat could sleep through a tornado, but, start opening a can and they were instantly teleported to my side, salivating and ready to eat. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
11  1stwarrior    5 years ago

We had five cats - Wolfie, Xyna, Poupon, Jaguar and Griselda.  A year ago, we had to put Poupon down due to cancer throughout the skull.  Didn't think I'd get over it, but Kavika as going through basically the same thing with Annie - so his conversations helped a lot.  My decision was not to get another for myself.

So, in August, after a fabulous game of flog (think I made 1 par and 17 bogies), came home and Audra and Vicky (wife & daughter) told me I had to go into my office 'cause a box arrived and they couldn't open it.

Well, I did - and there was Dark Vader - 8 weeks old and already climbing to get to my chest to sleep.  Unfortunately, the only pic I have is a 24 sec video that won't down load.

Next day, 'nuther fabulous game of flog (5 pars, 1 birdie and 12 bogies), 'nuther box they couldn't open - which I did - and there was Sky, my seal point who refuses to leave me alone.

Best I can offer is a pic from yesterday of the two "Guard" cats at my desk and computer.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.2  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @11    5 years ago

LOL, two ''guard cats''.....Too funny.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
11.3  Raven Wing  replied to  1stwarrior @11    5 years ago

Two beauties, 1st. jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
11.3.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Release The Kraken @11.3.1    5 years ago

BF, if 1st wants to be a Member of the cat Group he is most welcome. All he, or anyone else needs to do is request to join. They will be most welcome to share their kitty(s with us there too.

Ender
Professor Principal
12  Ender    5 years ago

I call discrimination. No pigs or ferrets in the list.

Kavika
Professor Principal
13  Kavika     5 years ago

This is Amos our resident armadillo when we lived in Missouri. He was pretty cool and didn't bother anyone or anything. Very happy to live on the far side of the house in his little garden where I built him a ''Amos House''....

I told the people that purchased our house that Amos came with the house and was no trouble. Here he is rummaging for grubs.  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
13.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @13    5 years ago

Having known Kavika for some time, Wiki, Annie, Amos and Tex became part of my own family. (grin)

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing @13.1    5 years ago

Don't forget Rocky our resident groundhog...He was a hoot, and loved grapes. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
13.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @13.1.1    5 years ago
Don't forget Rocky our resident groundhog..

Thank you for the reminder about Rocky.He did a lot of underground excavating as well. (grin)

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing @13.1.2    5 years ago

LOL, he truly did a bit of excavation and Tex would get pissed at him because of the holes in Tex pasture that Rocky dug.  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
13.1.4  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @13.1.3    5 years ago
and Tex would get pissed at him

LOLOL!!!  Ohhh Lawd have Mercy!! Good thing Rocky could hide underground. No one in their right mind would want to piss of Tex. Especially, with them horns! jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_85_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
13.2  KDMichigan  replied to  Kavika @13    5 years ago

When I was living in Mississippi and had been there so long the locals started calling me a Damn Yankee I had a Armadillo rooting around my camper, They run fast. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.2.1  Kavika   replied to  KDMichigan @13.2    5 years ago
They run fast. 

Yes hey do and they hop as well. It's funny as heck to see them hop....

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
13.2.2  KDMichigan  replied to  Kavika @13.2.1    5 years ago

I was under the impression I could run it down. I just wanted to meet him. 

I've been known to grab a wild coon by the nape of the neck to remove them out of attics. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.2.3  Kavika   replied to  KDMichigan @13.2.2    5 years ago

LOL, the visual of you trying to run down a armadillo is funny. They are fast little guys and great hoppers. 

You miss your grab at a raccoon and they sink those teeth into you, you damn sure remember that for a long time. Hopefully no rabies.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
13.2.4  Freefaller  replied to  Kavika @13.2.3    5 years ago
You miss your grab at a raccoon and they sink those teeth into you, you damn sure remember that for a long time. Hopefully no rabies.

Lol did that once, it got me deep and I bled like a stuck pig.  Given it was almost 40 years ago now I'd say I'm safe from the rabies

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

I had to quit reading these stories - brought back how much I miss my Fidget.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
16  pat wilson    5 years ago

Here's my handsome boy...512

pat wilson
Professor Participates
16.2  pat wilson  replied to  pat wilson @16    5 years ago

And he's a rock hound (or cat)

pat wilson
Professor Participates
16.2.2  pat wilson  replied to  Release The Kraken @16.2.1    5 years ago

How he could rest his head and neck crystal points, I'll never know...

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
16.3  1stwarrior  replied to  pat wilson @16    5 years ago

Pat - we got twins :-)

pat wilson
Professor Participates
16.3.1  pat wilson  replied to  1stwarrior @16.3    5 years ago

Lol, yes but yours is sleek, mine is muppet-like.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
16.3.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  pat wilson @16.3.1    5 years ago

1st,

Your guys are so cute!

My daughter just got sibs too!

pat wilson
Professor Participates
16.3.3  pat wilson  replied to  pat wilson @16.3.1    5 years ago

Is your cat a young Maine Coon ?

pat wilson
Professor Participates
16.3.4  pat wilson  replied to  pat wilson @16.3.3    5 years ago

Asking 1st

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
16.3.5  1stwarrior  replied to  pat wilson @16.3.3    5 years ago

No darn it - BUT - Momma sez when the population dwindles, a Maine Coon is top priority. jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif We'll see.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
16.4  Raven Wing  replied to  pat wilson @16    5 years ago

Oh my....he is indeed a handsome boy. Love the luscious fur.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
16.4.1  pat wilson  replied to  Raven Wing @16.4    5 years ago

Thank you RW, I love his fur but it can get gnarly with knots at times.

Kavika
Professor Principal
17  Kavika     5 years ago

This is a photo of a very rare breed. The American Indian Dog...there are around 900 in the US and were thought to be extinct but some survived and are now bred in Oregon by Kim LaFlame of Song Dog kennels. 

These dogs are powerful, fast and incredible endurance. The need room to run and require a strong leader. They will usually weight between 45 and 75 lbs and come in a multitude of colors. They life expectancy is 15 to 18 years and are extremely healthy dogs. 

They  ARE NOT PART WOLF OR COYOTE.

ghost.jpg

They eyes can be from brown to amber to blue or any combination. That is the most striking feature they have. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
17.1  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @17    5 years ago

A few others. 

5_year_old_male_dark_brown_sable.jpg

post-14518-1229145212.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
17.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Release The Kraken @17.1.1    5 years ago
I am assuming they were common before the Europeans arrived?

Yes they were BF. They were used a guard dogs, baby sitters, pulling travios, hunting and as war dogs. 

That has to at some point mean we had indigenous wild dogs in north America?

That is true BF... There is still one pack of wild dogs called the Carolina dog...

There is a link to more information and studies on them. 

Actually there were still  American Indian dog into the early 1940's. I have a photo of one taken with my grandfather in the around 1910. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
17.1.4  pat wilson  replied to  Kavika @17.1    5 years ago

I wonder why they evolved with pale eyes.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
17.1.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Release The Kraken @17.1.5    5 years ago

LOL.. good one!

Kavika
Professor Principal
17.1.7  Kavika   replied to  Release The Kraken @17.1.5    5 years ago
Because they had to look at pasty Europeans.

But, but.

Kavika
Professor Principal
17.1.8  Kavika   replied to  pat wilson @17.1.4    5 years ago
I wonder why they evolved with pale eyes.

Good question pat, I have no idea at all. 

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
18  Uptownchick    5 years ago

Casey, top...Sammy, the big orange one (well over 30 lbs. now!) and Zoey, in front, of course!

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
18.1  Uptownchick  replied to  Uptownchick @18    5 years ago

This was Sammy 9 years ago...about 2 1/2 lbs. then. He grew up!

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
18.1.1  Uptownchick  replied to  Uptownchick @18.1    5 years ago

256 Here's a better close-up of Zoey. Her coloring is so vivid.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
18.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Uptownchick @18.1.1    5 years ago

She's so pretty! And a calico. They are pretty rare. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
18.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Uptownchick @18.1.1    5 years ago

Zoey is beautiful. I've had 4 Calicos over the years, each one a variation of color patterns. Calicos are said to bring good luck. One of my Calicos had six toes on her front paws. I called her Twinkle Toes. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
18.2  Kavika   replied to  Uptownchick @18    5 years ago

I think that you forgot to post the photo Uppy. Time for more coffee...LOL

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
18.2.1  Uptownchick  replied to  Kavika @18.2    5 years ago

Your turn to supply the coffee...that's my problem! Hop to it!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
18.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Uptownchick @18    5 years ago

Your first pic isn't showing up for me.  The one of Sammy 9 years ago does, though, and he was beautiful!

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
18.3.1  Uptownchick  replied to  sandy-2021492 @18.3    5 years ago

Thanks Sandy! I think I fixed it!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
18.3.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Uptownchick @18.3.1    5 years ago

Great brood you have there. What a variety of colors. One of every flavor. 

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
18.3.3  Uptownchick  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @18.3.2    5 years ago

Thanks Perrie! My multi-cultural fur-babies! They are quite the motley crew! Three very different personalities.

Kavika
Professor Principal
19  Kavika     5 years ago

Smile everyone, it's Monday.....

American-Pitbull-Funny-Pic.jpg

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
21  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

256 256 My owners King Stubby and Queen Tasha

Kavika
Professor Principal
21.1  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @21    5 years ago

Now there is a pair to draw to....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
21.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Release The Kraken @21.1.1    5 years ago

Don't feel special, she doesn't like anybody. She only loves me

Kavika
Professor Principal
21.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @21.1.2    5 years ago

173948-Pit-Bull-Cuddling-With-A-Cat.jpg

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
21.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @21.1.3    5 years ago

Awwww

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
21.1.5  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @21.1.3    5 years ago

How sweet is that! They are real cuddle buddies. jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
21.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @21    5 years ago

Stubby looks a bit...evil.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
21.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @21.2    5 years ago

lol

he can be. He didn't want to take care of that big damned spider on the front porch this morning. I think that's evil

Kavika
Professor Principal
22  Kavika     5 years ago

05f435cc52fffedcc75da0c2fef0210f--funny-shit-funny-stuff.jpg

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
22.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @22    5 years ago

Ohhh.....my....someone's in deep doggie doodoo. jrSmiley_29_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_85_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_51_smiley_image.gif