╌>

Things to Know on Dog Farting Awareness Day - Today April 8th

Category:  Pets & Animals

Via:  kavika  •  5 years ago  •  23 comments

Things to Know on Dog Farting Awareness Day - Today April 8th

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

569A4B27-EB86-49C8-849754FDE1CDC94E_sour

Who farted?  Credit:   Mike Burke  Unsplash

Even before the children’s book   Walter the Farting Dog   hit bookstores in 2001, the youngest members of society have known the truth. Dogs fart. They pass gas. The science-minded among us might refer to fart gas as   ‘flatus’   (not to be confused with   flautas , which might or might not give you flatus). Whatever you call it, dog farts can be silent but deadly, outrageously loud and stinky, even synchronized with a sneeze. In other words, dogs fart like us.

While   Walter the Farting Dog   delivers on fiction—it is Walter’s flatulence that thwarts robbers—recent studies provide actual data on dog farts, their composition and how to make them less stinky. In 2001, researchers at the   Waltham Center for Pet Nutrition   in the UK published a study detailing a noninvasive technique to investigate dog flatulence in real-time. A special doggie jumpsuit with a tail-hole. A dog fart suit. 

Capturing flatus is not to be taken lightly. In a section titled, ‘Collection and analysis of rectal gases,’ the researchers describe the outfit they rigged up to assess the farts. The main component is a jacket that looks like something companion dogs might wear in the rain, although this jacket comes with a sulfur gas detecting pump near the dog’s butt. To complete the suit, dogs wear disposable paper underpants to “protect the sampling device from external interference and help maintain proximity of the tubing to the anus.” Like I said, sort of like a rain jacket but with more farting.

Collins-et-al-2001.jpg Dog fart suit. Credit:  Collins et al. 2001

Dog fart science

But what makes dog farts stink? The researchers took their cue from human flatus, which contains “the atmospheric gases nitrogen and oxygen plus the non-atmospheric gases carbon dioxide, hydrogen, and methane, also referred to as fermentation gases.” Sulfur gases, particularly hydrogen sulfide, are behind our visceral response of, “EWWWWW! Who did THAT?” This distasteful smell is commonly associated with   sulfur-rich foods   like cauliflower or broccoli.

To explore the composition of stinky dog farts, the researchers took a two-pronged approach. First, the fart suit measured what the dogs were dishing out, specifically hydrogen sulfide concentrations in parts per million. Second, an Odor Judge joined the team. Yes, someone was assigned to assess the odor of dog farts (and although the study does not spell it out, I presume the job was assigned using the highly advanced method of Who Was Out Of The Room When The Decision Was Made). The Odor Judge (who I hope wore a special sash or top hat) whiffed “each flatulence episode and rated the episode on a 1 to 5 scale, where 5 represented an unbearable odor and 1 was noise-only with no odor. A rating of 2 represented a slightly noticeable odor, 3 was a mildly unpleasant odor, and 4 was a bad odor.” I give you science. 

The Odor Judge’s assessments were then matched to real-time readings from the dog fart suit to uncover the composition of the most distasteful farts. As in humans, dog farts rated as more unbearable contained significantly more hydrogen sulfide than farts rated as less-noxious.

Can we decrease the stink in dog farts?

Identification of the stink is merely a first step. Dog fart suit in hand, the researchers set out to investigate which compounds, if any, could render dog farts benign.

In a study of human farts (where subjects first consumed pinto beans “to ensure flatus output” – you can’t make this stuff up),   charcoal   and zinc acetate reduced fart stinkiness. Another study found that   Yucca schidigera   reduced stink-inducing hydrogen sulfide concentrations in dog poop. While those substances are available as dietary supplements, don’t use any of them without veterinary approval.

To investigate whether a combination of charcoal,   Yucca schidigera , and zinc acetate would decrease the stink in dog farts, dogs got back in the fart suit. (The researchers   call it   a “flatulence-collecting system for dogs.” We’ll have to agree to disagree.) Then the dogs consumed treats containing the three ingredients.** The fart suit captured and measured hydrogen sulfide concentrations, while the Odor Judge rated the farts.

The treats with the three ingredients did the trick! While   the   n umber   of farting episodes did not decrease,   the stench   of the emissions was less aversive. With the treats, farting “episodes rated as 4 (bad) or 5 (unbearable) were significantly decreased, and [the] percentage of episodes rated as 2 (slightly noticeable) was significantly increased.”

Fart Facts

• Hydrogen sulfide is behind the stink in stinky dog farts.
  • Dogs eating treats containing charcoal,   Yucca schidigera , and zinc acetate will continue to fart but will produce less-stinky farts.
  • Veterinarians remind that a number of factors are behind a farting dog, including a sedentary lifestyle, eating quickly and swallowing air, as well as chowing down on difficult-to-digest food. More on   farting dogs at Pet MD.

Make every day   Dog Farting Awareness Day ! Today is also   National Dog Fighting Awareness Day . While illegal in every state, thousands of dogs are still forced to train, fight, and suffer every year. Let's   end dog fighting

** Additional note on dog farts: In the study, each fart-reducing treat contained “320 mg of activated charcoal, 2.5 mg of   Yucca schidigera , and 17 mg of zinc in the form of zinc acetate dihydride.” Dogs were fed 1 treat per 11 lb of body weight.   Jessica Hekman , DVM, MS and genomics PhD student   adds , "We don't know if this stuff is safe to feed regularly. But that's one of the things good research does—provide ideas for future research. Like testing the safety of activated charcoal in anti-fart-stink dog treats."

This post was modified from earlier posts published in 2013, Dog Farts   Part 1   and   Part 2 .

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     5 years ago

Funny-Pit-Bull-Meme-fart.jpg?x78305

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Does that apparatus help with sharts? You know like the stuff they use for bladder leakage?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    5 years ago
Does that apparatus help with sharts? You know like the stuff they use for bladder leakage?

I'm laughing too hard to respond...jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4  dave-2693993    5 years ago

The dog did it.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1  JBB  replied to  dave-2693993 @4    5 years ago

The other day i caught a whiff of that old people smell. I was home...alone.

Ender
Professor Principal
5  Ender    5 years ago

One time my dog farted and scared itself.

She jumped up and looked at her ass like someone was attacking her.

Then looked at me like I knew what was going on.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Ender @5    5 years ago

This video is priceless. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.2  Sunshine  replied to  Ender @5    5 years ago
One time my dog farted and scared itself.

Or they smell their own butt because they are not sure they farted.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
6  Sunshine    5 years ago

Wonder why cats never fart?  When do they get their day? jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
6.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Sunshine @6    5 years ago

Obviously you've never been around my 9 month old Siamese - Sky.  He'll run ya outta the house and look so innocently, like - "Hey, where'd everybody go".

Then curls up into his ball - and does it again.

Gads they're rank.jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  1stwarrior @6.1    5 years ago
Gads they're rank.

Nooo..not my little Princess. jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Sunshine @6    5 years ago

Dog, cat and a fart..Hilarious video.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Sunshine @6    5 years ago

Cats fart.  They might even be worse than dog farts.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
7  1stwarrior    5 years ago

Obviously you've never been around my 9 month old Siamese - Sky.  He'll run ya outta the house and look so innocently, like - "Hey, where'd everybody go".

Then curls up into his ball - and does it again.

Gads they're rank.jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

I had no idea that this was dog farting awareness day, but my dog spent all weekend celebrating.  Generally while sitting in my lap jrSmiley_55_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8    5 years ago

My last dog would lay on the rug by my bed with his butt by my head and fart all night long. It was really gross after he raided the cat litter box. jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

It was a really bad scene when the dog laid by the cat on the bed and farted. The cat would jump up and beat the dog in the butt. The dog would look at the cat like..."What.....why you hit me?" jrSmiley_51_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @8    5 years ago
but my dog spent all weekend celebrating.  Generally while sitting in my lap jrSmiley_55_smiley_image.gif

LMAO, what a visual or should I say, aroma.

charger 383
Professor Silent
9  charger 383    5 years ago

the puppy just farted

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
10  1stwarrior    5 years ago

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @10    5 years ago

LMAO

Enoch